Clarification with the APAC servers and what bioware actually did.

Obirayy

This post is to save you reading 300+ pages and help inform you of what happened with the APAC servers that has been going on for 6months but ill keep it short...

A month ago they asked us for our suggestions...

-70% said they wanted a merge into 1 APAC server and did not care about the play style. I only said 70% but other people claim it was 90%(I believe that it was 90% of the master dar'nala server.)

- some people on dalbora were fine with their population and didn't care if nothing happened with the servers. Others on dalbora were still welcoming the extra population to their server.

- players on the gav daragon server wanted to be left alone and not merge and others were happy to merge.

- then there was a mix of people who wanted to transfer to the US and yes it was a very small amount.

At the end of these suggestions we felt it was a 'no brainer' that we would all merge into 1 server and were just waiting for bioware to officially call it.

After all this bioware decided to shutdown the APAC servers and move everyone to the US. They believed that even with all 3 servers merged that it wouldn't fix the population problems - EVEN THOUGH A LOT OF PEOPLE SAID THERE WAS NO PROBLEMS. they also used the playing style excuse which was said by the players that they didn't care about playing style, we just want to keep our ping.

They made us feel that we had a decision in the matter only to stall us from unsubbing for a few more months before they closed us down, not to mention all the preorder expansion packs.

All this is pointing towards bioware running their game with their bank account in mind. All competitive pvp will be gone and only the cartel market nubs that spend money will stay.

Don't be fooled by their nice dev post that they have put up for everyone to read.

Or, in my slightly less b*tt-hurt version:

The APAC servers haven't got viable populations, which makes for a less-than-optimal play experience.

The two main options were:

1: Merge the three servers,

or

2. Move the population onto US superservers of the three playstyles.

So, rather than spend money on a dwindling population, (and, possibly, seeing large numbers of APAC players, myself among them, flirt with rerolls on the US servers) they are closing the APAC servers, and moving us to West-Coast US servers. We lose our magnificent ping rates but we gain the possibility of not having to wait all night for a FP/OP/WZ to pop.

This has made a lot of people, especially melee PvP players, very unhappy. (Heck, I spoke out in favour of a merger my own self) So expect a couple of days of outrage and foot-stomping. Then, go reserve placeholder names on the new servers, or unsub, or whatever.

At least it's over.

As someone who has been monitoring this situation since the beginning, can anyone say they are surprised at this decision?

For months it has been apparent that APAC populations were likely under the threshold of profitability to maintain localized servers. Bioware and EA overestimated the regional subscription-potential (as they did in other areas) and quite frankly, there is something some of you people need to recognize:

SW:TOR exists to produce a profit for Electronic Arts.

Period.

This move confirms that APAC servers lacked a high enough profit-margin to facilitate regional support.

You cannot be surprised at the decision nor can you actually blame Bioware.

They were likely waiting to see if F2P and Makeb would produce enough local revenue to support APAC; obviously they did not.

The market does not exist insofar as Electronic Arts is concerned, that is the main point.

Join the West Coast Servers or Unsub, but APAC is basically over.

All i know i purchased and spent money to play on an APAC server, not an EU or US one. If they kill APAC servers then I want all my money back, this game isnt worth playing at all if im going to get slugged with a 400+ ping, been there tried that dont work.

And if they think this will make it better for them, then maybe they need to think about negative marketing impact, as in dont by any bioware/EA products as they do not support the asian pacific region as proven by there abandoning the APAC swtor servers. The fact that at a corporate level they can subsidise the APAC servers and thus maintain a visible actual presence in our region would go a long way to show an active involvement in the gaming community. Instead they show how much little we actually mean and are happy to scrape us off there boots as they leave.

Well.. stuff em, if they cant supprot the gaming community by subsidising a server (and getting the tax breaks for it) then bioware and EA obviously do not need gamers world wide spending money on there current and up and coming products. I mean, if there happy to abandon us, then there happy to abandon all gamers world wide.

Obviously theres not a real person amongst them..

:rak_03:

would just like to point out that i am playing from melbourne australian on jung man (us east coast) and im having a blast 200ms, not a problem with lag at all. game play is fantastic.

LMAO pretty sure this is your first MMO yea?

Help me show them Vote now!

We want your vote! I just posted a Poll on the right side of this site please vote and let us and BioWare what you think about the closing down Asia-Pacific servers of SWTOR. Go vote now!

SwtorFace the last Aussie SWTOR Fan site

Site Update : What would your solution to the APAC server issues?

Merge all the APAC servers into one server 103 (82%)

Transfer option for a server of your choice 23 (18%)

Do Nothing 19 (15%)

Merge APAC servers to US servers 10 (8%)

Have your say! go vote now!

Edited by JohnnyGatt

would just like to point out that i am playing from melbourne australian on jung man (us east coast) and im having a blast 200ms, not a problem with lag at all. game play is fantastic.

To be honest. As sad as it is. Countries other than America get much better connections. They clip ours so much for the sake of cash. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all about the nickels and the dimes.

Edited by Skyhigh
typo

nope! been playing mmos for several years. I honestly have no problem with the latency! :rolleyes:

Same here. I have played tons of MMOs that don't have servers in my region or anywhere close to it and apart from slightly longer loading times it isn't an issue. Once the game is loaded, ease of play is dictated by my PC, not my connection.

The only people who will suffer real inconvenience by the server closures are the presumably now redundant team who ran the APAC servers.

Same here. I have played tons of MMOs that don't have servers in my region or anywhere close to it and apart from slightly longer loading times it isn't an issue. Once the game is loaded, ease of play is dictated by my PC, not my connection.

The only people who will suffer real inconvenience by the server closures are the presumably now redundant team who ran the APAC servers.

You have obviously never done serious ops or pvp then.

Try interrupting a 1 second cast at 300ms, then try it on 20ms, come back then come back here and say the game is fine and playable.

Oh and if you aren't a serious player, then just enjoy the server merge to the US, **** and stay out of these threads in which people that will be effected are having a discussion. Thanks

Oh and if you aren't a serious player, then just enjoy the server merge to the US, **** and stay out of these threads in which people that will be effected are having a discussion. Thanks

Wouldn't call this a discussion... just a bunch of people who are all complaining (maybe rightfully so, but still).

Wouldn't call this a discussion... just a bunch of people who are all complaining (maybe rightfully so, but still).

Yep! You know why it's not a discussion? Because 100% of the people are on the same side! There's nothing to discuss!!

A fine example of arrogant, ignorant elitist snobbery, I must say.

A fine example of a weak troll, I must say.

I honestly think they'll be loosing about 70% of the APAC playerbase with this option. You think that's not gonna get noticed? lol, People that aren't effected think this won't happen to them down the road huh, well just you wait and see in a years time or two when they start shutting down US/EU servers. Just you wait.

Edited by Fols

Yep! You know why it's not a discussion? Because 100% of the people are on the same side! There's nothing to discuss!!

I believe that's known as a "circle jerk"

Like!!!

I honestly think they'll be loosing about 70% of the APAC playerbase with this option. You think that's not gonna get noticed? lol, People that aren't effected think this won't happen to them down the road huh, well just you wait and see in a years time or two when they start shutting down US/EU servers. Just you wait.

Ok, unless you're in North Korea, Vietnam, or China, I'm pretty sure a gun isn't being held to your head to play, so you can quit if you like. Personally, speaking as player on a west coast US server, I'm all for keeping the APAC servers as this will keep the players who don't speak English, (no offense and not trying to be an "arrogant" American) from spamming group requests to players in game. I've seen this happen before, they spam group requests, they don't answer or of they do, it's hard to understand them. Plus, it keeps you playing with people from your reigon. Consolidate to one server, there are guilds that formed for people with similar interests, or languages. Just saying, that's all. Plus my server is already fairly full now, after going thru 2 server merges already.

70% of 103 people (the number that have voted for a server merge in the poll) isn't going to be noticed.

How many people were actually playing on the APAC servers? I know I went back to my old character on one of the servers 2 months ago and found 14 people on the republic fleet in peak times. I moved to The Harbinger, a US server and there were 140+ in their off-peak time. And on the starter planet it was around 20-25 vs. 90-100, again this in in the Australian peak time, which is off-peak on the US servers.

Playing on the Harbinger for the past 2 months I can get into Flashpoints and Warzones without a massive wait during my peak time playing, compare that to not being able to get a FP or WZ at all on the APAC server I had a character on.

That I think the main reason why the servers are being shut down, there just isn't enough people using them. In my opinion it's probably got so bad now on those servers that merging to US servers will probably save more subscriptions than they would lose keeping the APAC servers up and having people quit because there is no one to play with.

70% of 103 people (the number that have voted for a server merge in the poll) isn't going to be noticed.

How many people were actually playing on the APAC servers? I know I went back to my old character on one of the servers 2 months ago and found 14 people on the republic fleet in peak times. I moved to The Harbinger, a US server and there were 140+ in their off-peak time. And on the starter planet it was around 20-25 vs. 90-100, again this in in the Australian peak time, which is off-peak on the US servers.

to play with.

Strange 2-3 months ago I had the reverse..On Harbinger Pub side - 10 ppl on fleet. On Dalbora 80-90 ppl.

Pretty much just heard about this. Don't visit the forums, have been subscribed since day 1. So logged on to post and find threads about this move.

Just cancelled subscription, won't be playing on the US servers.

Got more than enough games - Guild Wars 2, LotR, Path of Exile and new Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls games coming up.

So I'll be happy to not spend the money on SWTOR and spend it elsewhere.

I do feel really bad for the Dev's though. The game had over 1 million subscribers, when rumours went around the web saying the game was doing badly. This then created a chinese whispers situation where people starting saying "Have you heard the game is doing badly". Then news sites picked up on quotes from people saying Free to play was coming (when at that point it wasn't). Gamers quit in droves, forcing the company to make it Free to Play in a catch 22 situation.

Basically, the community only has itself to blame on this one. We took a healthy, functional game and through a long, protracted and brutal campaign of rumours and bad press, killed it for ourselves. Hell, there were even Aussies complaining about having AU servers! *** people. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

I was hoping for a server merge though into the PvE server so I could keep playing. With the cancellation of the region entirely though, it is finally time to move on. I do feel a little cheated into paying for the preorder though. I really hope they keep the servers up for at least a few months after the release of the expansion so we can get our moneys worth. Otherwise it's a bit of a raw deal from them to get us to buy preorders and then cancel our servers.

Still, what can you expect from EAoware.

Playing on the Harbinger for the past 2 months I can get into Flashpoints and Warzones without a massive wait during my peak time playing, compare that to not being able to get a FP or WZ at all on the APAC server I had a character on.

That I think the main reason why the servers are being shut down, there just isn't enough people using them. In my opinion it's probably got so bad now on those servers that merging to US servers will probably save more subscriptions than they would lose keeping the APAC servers up and having people quit because there is no one to play with.

Master dar'nala has the lowest population and id say we can get up to 100 people on both side of the fleet which is 200, I'd estimate 300+ including the people on other planets.

So between the 3 servers we easily have 1000 players, there's also the players that rerolled on a US server and were waiting for the merge to come back