Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

C'mon now, I can win boss fights without pressing a single button.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
C'mon now, I can win boss fights without pressing a single button.

DPswfan
02.13.2017 , 03:31 PM | #1
I am currently leveling a Bounty Hunter and I am finding the game too easy. Not that this game was ever difficult per se but at least it didn't play itself. The last few boss fights I've had, I thought to myself "why bother?". I just set my companion on damage and they take care of everything. I do not have to press one single ability and I can still win the boss fight. This is silly and immersion breaking. The combat doesn't even have to be difficult necessarily, but at the very least give the illusion.

I know some of you will likely say that I should play without a companion but you know darn well that the game is meant to be played with one. They are part of the story. And yes I could remove some of my gear. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to work around the mechanics of the game just so it doesn't play itself.

I love the story in this game. In fact, I play most video games for the story. However, I like to feel like I am a part of the story. Having zero challenge whatsoever, does not accomplish that. I know it isn't likely but I wish bioware would do something about this. I find it hard to imagine that people find this kind of gameplay engaging.

Fleurdelis
02.13.2017 , 03:40 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DPswfan View Post
I am currently leveling a Bounty Hunter and I am finding the game too easy. Not that this game was ever difficult per se but at least it didn't play itself. The last few boss fights I've had, I thought to myself "why bother?". I just set my companion on damage and they take care of everything. I do not have to press one single ability and I can still win the boss fight. This is silly and immersion breaking. The combat doesn't even have to be difficult necessarily, but at the very least give the illusion.

I know some of you will likely say that I should play without a companion but you know darn well that the game is meant to be played with one. They are part of the story. And yes I could remove some of my gear. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to work around the mechanics of the game just so it doesn't play itself.

I love the story in this game. In fact, I play most video games for the story. However, I like to feel like I am a part of the story. Having zero challenge whatsoever, does not accomplish that. I know it isn't likely but I wish bioware would do something about this. I find it hard to imagine that people find this kind of gameplay engaging.
FYI, those aren't bosses you are facing while leveling.

When you get to 70 go do an uprising with just your companion and stand there and see what happens.

phalczen
02.13.2017 , 03:41 PM | #3
This isn't your first character I presume?

So, do you have legacy bonuses, legacy datacrons, all those things that are boosting both your character and your companion's effectiveness behind the scenes?

Are you over leveled, which is something really easy to do with the current even going on?

I would submit that with the current state of the game, running a new character who is part of an existing fleshed out legacy through the original class story will almost always be trivial from a difficulty point of view. Even running naked, with all the legacy bonuses and legacy datacrons and tendency to be over-leveled its nearly impossible to lose.

I think the only way they could make it better would be to scale the instanced boss fights up to the current player level instead of down to the planet's level. The final Baras fight for the SW comes to mind. At least then you'd have to make sure you had some decent gear on and a decent companion influence rank.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

bdatt
02.13.2017 , 03:50 PM | #4
I haven't played the vanilla game in a long time, but do understand they made it faceroll easy especially as you add companion perks. I've found the bosses in KotFE veteran mode and up with rank 1 required companions to actually be quite engaging, especially when there are adds and you don't have significant self-heals (Vanguard/Shadow here).

americanaussie
02.13.2017 , 04:23 PM | #5
The 1-50 content is easy for fast leveling. You can't take on big bads in kotfe or kotet without pushing a button. Try soloing star fortress. There is harder content. You need to have a level 60 to start it. Although some of Makeb can be challenging if you don't know what you're doing.

americanaussie
02.13.2017 , 04:25 PM | #6
And bounty hunter mercs are overpowered. There's a thread on it about Hoth. A person compared it to other classes and the merc looked at baddies and they fell whereas other classes took a hit at higher levels.

Psychopyro
02.13.2017 , 04:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Fleurdelis View Post
When you get to 70 go do an uprising with just your companion and stand there and see what happens.
To be fair, Uprisings (at least story mode) can be done solo....
OK fine... I'll post my referral link in protest.

Fygee
02.13.2017 , 04:30 PM | #8
If you set the difficulty to Master, then the 1-50 experience will be more challenging, and closer to how things were back in the before times.

Story Mode difficulty is just that: difficulty that's easy for all strictly for story progression.

MeNaCe-NZ
02.13.2017 , 04:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fleurdelis View Post
FYI, those aren't bosses you are facing while leveling.

Why aren't they bosses? Because they suddenly became so easy you can beat them whilst asleep? What criteria defines "not a boss"?

jstankaroslo
02.13.2017 , 04:54 PM | #10
yes, you're right. The 1-50 game is too easy
don't pay attention to endgame people who just don't give a dime for 1-50 experience and want it done as quickly and as facerolled as possible. After all they still miss the fun when they could go back to planets and one-shoot everything (pre-level sync era)

It is the single reason I can't find enjoyment in SWTOR again. With 4.0, while introducing level sync (which is fine) they made the game much easier. They powered up companions. They nerfed the bosses and mobs. They removed H4s, they nerfed H2s. They even removed Heroics conversations so that end gamers have more 'streamlined' experience -aka they would not complain heroics take too much time.

All this made the game dull for people who just do the class story journey with the missions that come along.
Its been almost two years some of us have been telling BW that they should revisit the 1-50 experience and bring back the old flair to it.

but nope.