Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Market : What's worth buying?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Market : What's worth buying?

SteveTheCynic
02.17.2017 , 09:13 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DrDaMoZ View Post
Isn't it odd? If we shouldn't open packs, then who in his right mind would buy them in the first place?
I see nothing but advice to not open them, but the logical conclusion would be that nobody will buy them either so you'll end up with lots of expensive and worthless dead weight.
And the people who are mad enough to buy them are either rich people who don't care or addicts who have no choice and do you really want to be part of the problem by keeping addicts fueled? That makes you worse then EA's own greed, doing their work for them.
I'll break the mould. I buy them for the fun of seeing what's in them. Not to get item X. If I get Item X, so much the better, but that's a bonus, not the main reason I buy them. And, historically, except for the most recent pack, I've done OK with them. (The most recent pack seemed to drop relatively few gold or better items compared to the packs before.)

But I've had some reasonable successes. I have the non-cross unstable sabre (the one with the rattly ball bearing in it). I have Senya's Pike. I have had some of the really cool mounts. And over 80% of the CM titles unlocked. Currently, a new character on my account leaves the starting instance at level *5*, ffs.

But I also have a *lot* of hideous bronze-rated stuff that I can't sell on the GTN even if I list it for half of the "default" price. Shrug.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Andryah
02.17.2017 , 10:11 AM | #12
Isn't it odd? If we shouldn't open packs, then who in his right mind would buy them in the first place?
I see nothing but advice to not open them, but the logical conclusion would be that nobody will buy them either so you'll end up with lots of expensive and worthless dead weight.
Context is important. So is pragmatism. This boils down to managing player expectations in context to the fact that cartel packs work off of a random loot table.

The advice to not open packs but resell them applies to players who are deliberately seeking a particular item from a pack. This is particularly true if the player is seeking a gold or platinum armor set (which requires three lucky and low percentage pulls from a pack to achieve). It is sound advice for a player looking to get one particular set or item from a pack.

On the other hand... there are clearly many people that actually enjoy the cartel pack opening experience. And these players generally know up front they are taking a chance and cannot control what they get from a pack, and are OK with that.

Which approach is the best for any given player is up to the player and what they are seeking..... a particular drop, or just enjoy opening surprise boxes. What is a given however, and the reason for the advice, is there ARE players who expect specific items from packs, and ignore the fact that their chance of that specific item dropping from any pack is small.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Aeneas_Falco
02.17.2017 , 11:38 AM | #13
And the people who are mad enough to buy them are either rich people who don't care or addicts who have no choice and do you really want to be part of the problem by keeping addicts fueled? That makes you worse then EA's own greed, doing their work for them.
If the RNG is inherently disadvantageous we should stop supporting such a system. At this rate the greed will only divide the community in such a way that the game WILL destroy itself by our hands ,and EA? They'll make another cashgrab mmo and repeat the process unless we the players stand up and refuse to participate in this nonsense!
Why do people gamble?

People open packs for the same reasons that some people enjoy playing slot machines. Whatever psychological weaknesses that are there that get someone to keep paying to pull the handle on a slot machine, chasing some jackpot they're probably not going to obtain, are also there for the Cartel Market whales who spend thousands of dollars opening packs.

As much as Bioware likes to pretend the Cartel Market packs aren't gambling, they're gambling.

Andryah
02.17.2017 , 03:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
As much as Bioware likes to pretend the Cartel Market packs aren't gambling, they're gambling.
People always make this mistake.

It IS a game of chance, and you are taking chances when you play it. No doubt about it at all.

Gambling on the other hand.. is actually a legal and commercial term, and generally closely regulated by your local government. The Cartel Market does not encroach into either legal or commercial terms, conditions, and enforcement. Feel free to check with your local authorities if you refuse to believe this statement.

Tip 1: there is a reason that you cannot buy cartel packs directly for real money. THAT would cross the legal and commercial thresholds for "gambling" in some jurisdictions (even though there is no chance to gain a return on investment, much less cash out CCs and items for real money. And since CCs are virtual currency that can be gotten for no real money if one chooses and plans, and you can purchase only in game items and unlocks and cannot convert any of it to actual real life money.... it fails any legal or commercial tests for = gambling.

Tip 2: much of what is purchased in the way of cartel packs are purchased with the free float of CCs in players hands courtesy of monthly CC grants, and friend referral grants. So in reality, nothing is lost to the player other then dashed hopes/dreams of getting a specific item from the random loot tables.

Attack it for the correct reasons, rather then conflating with the term "gambling". If you don't like games of chance, don't play them.. nobody is forcing you to, most of all the studio.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.