ATTN ChrisSchmidt: Change point system for solo rank.

SwtorThrill

Everyone! We have the dev's attention, particularly Chris. Now is the time to get our voice heard about improving rank. They already plan to remove vote kick, implement a 306 gear requirement, and finally improve rewards dramatically! All suggestions by the community! They are listening!

Can we please talk about the scoring system for rank now? How it is currently relies way too much on match making luck versus skill, particularly for healers. I believe it is also one of the reasons why rank can be toxic to some. Aren't people tired of losing 20+ points due to a thrower, undergeared, or that guy who uses rank to learn how to pvp?

My suggestion is to make wins/losses a flat number and you can improve upon either by a medal based system. Obviously the medal system needs to be re-worked, but this way the player will have some semblance of control. Think about it, the skilled will earn more points for a win and lose less points for a loss. Making losses easier to take should improve upon hostility especially with vote kick gone. It should also get people to try more instead of /stuck at first sign of trouble or after the first loss.

Any other suggestions is welcome here or maybe you found a flaw in what I outlined above. Just leave a vote of confidence if you like the idea even. The more discussion the more likely this gets noticed.

Bottomline I hate how the current point system is based entirely on inefficient match making. With more new players (HOPEFULLY) coming when the next patch comes, this can only get worse, right? I know that a healthier pop should make for groups closer in rating, but can we really trust that?

Hahaha you think they're listening... we'll see what happens with these... i can't come up with a word for how mind bogglingly stupid... augments go through.

Its cute to see someone with faith.

They've literally made a ton of positive changes in the past year. The fact that they're actually changing offguard, removing vote kick and adding a 306 gear requirement in the next patch proves that they're actually listening to the ranked community for the first time in years thanks to Chris. You're just determined to be mad about every decision the devs make for some reason.

I'm leery of the new aug changes myself, but I'm willing to actually see how it turns out in the game before I go ******* criticizing it.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

They've literally made a ton of positive changes in the past year. The fact that they're actually changing offguard, removing vote kick and adding a 306 gear requirement in the next patch proves that they're actually listening to the ranked community for the first time in years thanks to Chris. You're just determined to be mad about every decision the devs make for some reason.

I'm leery of the new aug changes myself, but I'm willing to actually see how it turns out in the game before I go ******* criticizing it.

OMG, what will happen to Prum if there is no vote kick by the time he comes back ?

Yeah, it's going to be rough on a lot of players that love to kick. The only downside will be an increase in toxicity towards players perceived as bad. But that's still 1000x better than being vote kicked.

You know, I agree that verbal abuse would be better than being voted off the team in the middle of a match. My hope is that the end of vote removal will bring in more players. This could even the distribution of "bad" players to enough teams that the win/loss chance will be evened out.

Bottomline I hate how the current point system is based entirely on inefficient match making. With more new players (HOPEFULLY) coming when the next patch comes, this can only get worse, right? I know that a healthier pop should make for groups closer in rating, but can we really trust that?

I fail to see how your system would create better matches. The main point of elo is to match people based on skill. It's not perfect, but it does the best that it can from what I can tell. With no elo, how will the matchmaker even work?

Also, as I used to tell Lhance, I don't think elo actually is what leads to toxicity. Even in your system, people will be toxic towards players they blame for losses on their team. Because they'll still want to win, or at least they should.

I don't know, I'm not opposed to big changes, but I don't really see how it would be a big improvement.

You know, I agree that verbal abuse would be better than being voted off the team in the middle of a match. My hope is that the end of vote removal will bring in more players. This could even the distribution of "bad" players to enough teams that the win/loss chance will be evened out.

We'll see. More people will certainly be good. I'm slightly concerned I'll have to copy and paste "please get a proper set bonus and tactical before queueing again" every other match :p That's still a small price to pay ultimately even if it happens; these changes will definitely be positive overall.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

A point based system could definitely work:

I tried to push for this during the ranked reconstruction last year, but it didn't take and I doubt it will now. For whatever it is worth, I will gladly support a system that rewards winners, and doesn't punish losers as hard as now.

It could be something like this:

All starts with 0 points at the start of the season and everybody has a 3:1 ration to begin with.

Bronze:

You need 100 points to reach bronze level. You get 3 points for each win and lose 1 point for each loss. Reaching bronze level (100 points) should be doable for most. Once you reach 100 points you can not go below it and your ratio is now 2:1

Silver:

You need 100 more points (200 points in total) to reach silver level. You get 2 points for each win and lose 1 point for each loss. Reaching silver level (200 points) will take a bit longer but should also be doable. Once you reach 200 points you can not go below it and your ratio is now 1:1

Gold:

You need 100 more points (300 points in total) to reach gold level. You get 1 points for each win and lose 1 point for each loss. Reaching gold level (300 points) is where things gets "hard". Once you reach 300 points you can not go below it and your ratio is now ?:?

After gold? No clue. They could simply maintain a 1:1 ration to compete for top 3.

Benefits:

- Ranked would be less toxic, as losing is not that big of a deal

- With a fixed amount of points, you ensure the need for several matches to climb

- New and inexperienced players would feel a sense of accomplishment

- Veteran players would still have gold and top 10 placements to fight for

- Hopefully more players would try ranked

This could rather easily be combined with a win requirement.

With a point based system you could still match players against each just like now. The calculation would just be derived from a simpler point system rather then questionable ELO. A system like that would also make it less punishable to run weaker specs (hatred, madness etc) as you would still feel a sense of progression.

Meh. I give it a snowballs chance in hell that we will ever see a change to ranked like that.

I fail to see how your system would create better matches. The main point of elo is to match people based on skill. It's not perfect, but it does the best that it can from what I can tell. With no elo, how will the matchmaker even work?

Also, as I used to tell Lhance, I don't think elo actually is what leads to toxicity. Even in your system, people will be toxic towards players they blame for losses on their team. Because they'll still want to win, or at least they should.

I don't know, I'm not opposed to big changes, but I don't really see how it would be a big improvement.

We'll see. More people will certainly be good. I'm slightly concerned I'll have to copy and paste "please get a proper set bonus and tactical before queueing again" every other match :p That's still a small price to pay ultimately even if it happens; these changes will definitely be positive overall.

You have no way of knowing how the point system would work without actually trying it out at least on on the PTS....

Elo is one of the toxicity breeders because it's too punishing for losses . I magine winning 3 games and then losing the next one due to no fault of your own, like getting a troll. You are almost back where you were before the 3 wins. It's frustrating...

The argument against points is that it will favor those who play a lot. Yes, but you would still need to win games to be ahead of the other guy in points. In the end the end result might be the same because the better players would still have more wins and thus points. Just my 2 cents here. We have this stupid system for multiple years without even attempting to change it or trying new ways to improve the experience overall. Losing would mean 0 points...

I'm sure that they could come up with a much better way of ranking players, but wanting to or having the resources to do it makes a huge difference here. I'm sure if the ranked would be this game's 50% in revenue, they would bother more with it. :cool:

ELO never made sense to me for multiplayer games anyways. The ELO Formula was designed for Chess, which is a single player game where when you lose, it is 100% your fault. In SWTOR, when you lose, theres a 75% chance its the fault of one of your other 3 teammates.

Making a loss less punishing would 100% fix the toxicity in game.

Hell, they could completely revamp the Ranked system to make it mirror a sports league points & "season" system where the "Top 3" of each class are determined by a "playoffs" that lasts like 2-3 weeks or whatever where the top rated players fight each other to see who is the best of the best. Those that dont make the cut off for points for the "playoffs", get pushed into the "off season" while the rest play for the playoffs. As a suggestion, I'd make the Season last 6 months where the first 5 is the "regular" season and the last month is the "playoffs". A loss should be 0 points, you dont drop but you dont gain either. This eliminates any incentive for throwing and trolling because now you arent ruining anyone elses game experience because the other players can just keep queueing and waiting for the troll to get bored or log off without any negative effects.

It wouldnt matter if you lose 10 games in a row because of a troll, the only thing you lose is time and for most PVPers, time is plentiful.

A benefit of the playoffs would be it would just be a pool of the best of the best players. No trolls, no throwers, no undergeared people etc so every ranked player would have a better sense of who is actually the top PVPers in the game.

Edited by KingDeathII

Making a loss less punishing would 100% fix the toxicity in game.

This is 100% false. It would reduce toxicity by a small, probably indetectable amount. Competitive people don't like losing, period, and that's normally what brings out toxicity. There are plenty of toxic people in regs, and there's no consequence at all when you lose there.