Edurence Style of Play

Dagawitz

I played up to 25 and learned that my primary should be Willpower as opposed to Endurance. So I switched my gear and got a rude awakening. I found that as a healer I didn't have time to think if I were the target. I tried to adjust but couldn't. Now I've balanced my gear 50/50 will/end. I'm getting closer to Nadia and had the thought of maximizing her Will and continuing my 50/50 with if any leaning going to will. I was thinking of focusing on End totally but I'm nervous – I just finished Attis Station – what a pain in the rump. I'm concerned that if I don't put something in will that will choke me in instances when I really do need to add some muscle to my fight. But.... could a Nadia with punch be good enough?

Am I out of my mind with the endurance thing? Are any others playing to that style?

Endurance is only good for 2 things, increasing HP and/or HP regen procs. As a sage, you should have very little use for either one.

You should be all out Willpower over Endurance every time. Period. You should be with a tanking companion. Sages are not tough and should not be taking the damage. At the very most, you might could make a case to be with a DPS companion, but I don't recommend it unless you are very comfortable with aggro dump abilities and whatnot.

Secondaries should be crit/surge/power with just a splash of alacrity. No offense, but a 50/50 endurance/willpower healer is not a proper healer. Your job is to heal, and to be the best you can be at healing, you need all the Willpower you can get. The tank's job is to get hit. Don't confuse the two or you'll be asking for trouble in group settings. Just pick up Qyzen, set him up in some tanking gear (or 50/50 tank/DPS gear if you are comfortable with that). Keep his weapon within 4-6 levels of your own and you should be good to go.

There are some powerful pvp sorcs that have maxed End... it's a playstyle thing more than anything.

Do what feels right, anything is viable in this game (as long as you're playing with class-relevant stats and figures).

Edited by Ycoga

There are some powerful pvp sorcs that have maxed End... it's a playstyle thing more than anything.

Do what feels right, anything is viable in this game (as long as you're playing with class-relevant stats and figures).

DPS Sorcs or Heal Sorcs?

I find it hard to imagine any heal spec being effective with maxxed endurance. Well, dps too for that matter. Heck, as a healing sage, the increase on my free self heal (with high willpower) outweighs the hp increase (with high endurance), let alone the increase of my other heals.

Seems wrong to me.

Come to think of it, a high endurance will actually hurt your sustainability if you are a healer. Healers rely on Noble Sacrifice for sustaining their Force points. As your HP goes up, so does the % based loss when you use Noble Sacrifice. By having more HP, you actually loss more HP, making it harder to keep your HP at a healthy level as you are healing others. The longer the battle, the more noticable the net loss. Over the course of a raid boss, you're net HP is actually much, much lower if you stat for Endurance.

PS: I can see a high endurance build be viable for a PvP Balance spec... maybe.

Edited by MasterGladius

When I hit 50 on my healing sage last March, I was have survivability problems with my sage healer in HM's and over 50 PvP, I wasn't able to solo the H2+ on Ilum either.

But, my problems in HM's was caused by tanks who couldn't hold aggro & dps that wouldn't peel. My problem in PvP was that I was just bad. As for the Ilum H2 - again I was just bad.

As I earned my daily comms & mods from missions rewards I prioritized End over Willpower just like you have. And my problem got better. It wasn't that the extra End gave me the HP I needed to stay alive - it was that I learned how to play. By the time I was in Tionese level gear I had HP like a Shadow tank. But I was able to heal HM's just fine with that little Willpower.

Come to think of it, a high endurance will actually hurt your sustainability if you are a healer. Healers rely on Noble Sacrifice for sustaining their Force points.

This is absolutely true... As I gathered up my Columi pieces I started dumping End. Healing became very comfortable, and by the time my Columi set was complete ~ I had the same amount of HP, with a massive boost in Willpower. I had already learned how to be careful with noble sac at that level of HP. The thing is, as you gear, you will get more HP, and Noble sac is always becoming less & less effective.

It's tough to heal without using things like cleanse, interrupt, clickable relics, stims, force armor, Rejuvenate, and the Aoe heal. But a High End build will require all of that from you, or you will drop a whole lot of players in your early HM's. With a Low End build you can spam the AoE heal & noble sac your way through most of the HM bosses.

All that being said, most the sage healing prowess comes from the base healing done by our abilites ~ and the bonus healing from stacking willpower/power is sort of just "gravy" healing.

DPS Sorcs or Heal Sorcs?

I find it hard to imagine any heal spec being effective with maxxed endurance. Well, dps too for that matter. Heck, as a healing sage, the increase on my free self heal (with high willpower) outweighs the hp increase (with high endurance), let alone the increase of my other heals.

Seems wrong to me.

I don't know what his skill tree looks like, but he's famous on our server and difficult to kill - a sorc with almost 22k hp in pvp gear.

Havent tried pumping Endurance myself, but i must state that it seems viable.

Edited by Ycoga

Am I out of my mind with the endurance thing?

In a word, yes. For a couple of reasons. First, the damage absorbed by force armor is based on your willpower rating, and the size of your heals is based on your willpower and power ratings. Second, in a long fight if you have to use noble sacrifice to regen force, the cost is a % of your max HP, which means you will be doing more damage to yourself in raw numbers.

As a healer, you will draw agro from every mob that is not controlled, taunted, or being attacked. If you are solo questing, CC the strongest, and turn off your pet's AoE attacks. In flashpoints, bubble yourself and the tank, and the DPS if there are multiple non-CCd mobs (ie, an AoE heavy pull). Then start healing when the bubbles go away.

Nadia is pretty fragile. I leveled with her at the end mostly because I wanted the challenge....but I usually ended up having to bring out (and re-gear) Iresso for class story bosses. If I were to do it again, I would just use Iresso and switch his stance and offhand depending on the fight.