Serious overloading of servers

Obtena

So I'm in a situation where the server I have rolled on since December is now SO full that I'm unable to log in. I'm all for populated servers but this seems to be a large oversight on the part of BW ... do they not have the ability to count players and estimate how capable a server is to handle a specific number of players? I'm sure they do ... so why would they open a server for transfers BEYOND it's capacity? I'm pretty upset about it. What is the rational in increasing a server population by orders of magnitude and preventing people from playing their established characters?

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why give cake to anyone if they are not allowed to eat it? that is evil sadistic and just plain wrong.

i might be new to this game but not to MMOs. the only limit on xfers should be from PvE = PvP servers. from what i have seen RP is not as enforced as other MMOs which i count as good.

these xfers are an attempt to heard people onto certian servers. the one me and my wife chose is a sinking server. we are being told to abandon it. now i hear the server i found out some friends play on is full.

this is not a good first impression from Bioware.

Worry not. People are just checking out their new servers. Once people's gaming habits go back to normal, queues should subside.

Someone else posted this, and I don't remember who, but they said, and I agree with them...

"I'd rather wait 15 minutes to log on to a packed server than have an instant login to a ghost town."

Paige

I think its brilliant honestly. With 1.3 group finder coming out. Having these busy servers will make this game 100 times more enjoyable.

more people does not make the game suddenly better. People left for a reason... the servers were dead for a reason. Population was only a smyptom not the actual cause...

Edited by Caspian_Rho

more people does not make the game suddenly better. People left for a reason... the servers were dead for a reason. Population was only a smyptom not the actual cause...

But it makes playing more enjoyable for those who didn't leave and actually like the game.

It's not always fair to blame ONLY the game and not the players. There is absolutely no way that every single player would have stayed from launch until now even if the game would have been the best thing ever created.

Edited by Ameepa

I am pleased that the server transfers are going on. And yes there will be some temperary full very heavy servers at the start. however, folks are just getting settled in. Getting in the guild they want/testing the waters. That being said one needs to remember that it is about the entire player base not just one this helps the many. So sit back and relax it will settle down. I only wish I could have transfered my 50 from his server it to is dead. but then that would not be my only reason to transfer him. Moving from east to west coast would be ideal for my play time ability.

So I'm in a situation where the server I have rolled on since December is now SO full that I'm unable to log in. I'm all for populated servers but this seems to be a large oversight on the part of BW ... do they not have the ability to count players and estimate how capable a server is to handle a specific number of players? I'm sure they do ... so why would they open a server for transfers BEYOND it's capacity? I'm pretty upset about it. What is the rational in increasing a server population by orders of magnitude and preventing people from playing their established characters?

You do realize that these type complaints are what caused this issue in the first place, right?

"Bioware, I don't wanna wait 10 minutes to play!! Open up moer servers NOW NOW NOW!!"

You do realize that these type complaints are what caused this issue in the first place, right?

"Bioware, I don't wanna wait 10 minutes to play!! Open up moer servers NOW NOW NOW!!"

They really didn't.

They added to it a bit, certainly, but caused it? Nope.

Personally I was sitting in 3-6 hours queues for the first 4-5 weeks, not 10 mins queues as well.

Tell us your server name ... sounds fishy. Even if there is a que it is a small price to pay in overall context. I'm on The Bastion that when I checked at peak was higher on the list then Fatman. Multiple fleet instances visible to everyone and player reports ranging from 600 - 800 Rep side.

So upset about it that there's no information provided by the OP that will actually help BW see where the issue lies, how long queue times are etc etc etc.

It's great to whinge but to provide no information what so ever when it comes to the problem is a little silly :D

I don't understand why this is the only choice. Not being able to get a group because you're waiting in an queue is not fun. Not being able to get in a group because your sever is dead is not fun. This is a game, it should be fun. At least in theory Bioware could find a population level close to what fatman has been the last month where queue times were only occasional and limited but the server was always populated.

I really think Bioware needs to focus on improving player experience by making the game fun rather than whatever their current goal is. I would also like to add that at no point in the past or future should players be blamed for population balances. People were and are complaining because the game isn't fun. It's good that they brought these issues to the front so the developer can try to fix them. But the players still have not been given any tools to fix the problem themselves. As long as Bioware insists that they have to maintain complete control, they also have to accept full responsibility. A good portion of the player base may agree that players should never have a choice, which is fine, but you guys need to accept that as long as we don't have the ability to fix things we shouldn't be blamed for not fixing them.

Having said that, I agree with the others who say the current queues will die down soon. I think we'll start seeing people play a bit less again and the trend of overall decreasing population is going to continue until the F2P deal in July brings in those looking to play for free. There is a fair chance you'll see queues again shortly after 1.3 is released too.

6 hour ques to log in? Uh, BS.

Nope, absolutely true.

The displayed server queue time seemed to cap out at 3 hours 45 mins for some reason, but the actual time you sat in the queue was over 6 hours on many occasions (as I well know to my repeated frustration at the time - I think my longest ever queue was 8 or 9 hours :eek:).

And the end result of being on an early access server with 6 hour queues (and one carried "Full" regularly well past Jan, and the 2nd to last server of it's type to hit "V Heavy" in my region)?

Still now being Light server that is a ghost-town. :(

There's a multitude of reasons why subs and server pops ended up where they are today.

Edited by Goretzu

Then shut it and go back t yre ghost town - no1 here agrees with u, go on sho sho :rak_03:

Wait a freakin day or two for the furor to calm.

Here, I made you a list of things to do while you wait:

1. Read a book.

2. Go outside

3. Bake a cake

4. Watch TV or DVD

5. Post on the forums (lol)

6. Play a different game.

problem solved!

"I'd rather wait 15 minutes to log on to a packed server than have an instant login to a ghost town."

Pretty much this is how you SHOULD be feeling right now.

Grab a sandwich or something to drink, or both! mmmmmmmm sandwich.......

But anyway, queues are going down, economy is going up, and you have people to play with.

You can't win for trying I tell ya!

At this point I am on Bioware's side..people simply can not just enjoy life and have to complain about anything and everything. I was on Ebon Hawk last night and there was a 10 minute que that ended up taking all of 2 minutes for me to login. The ques will calm down......I would much rather spend a couple of minutes logging in then wait an hour or more.....for a Warzone to pop if it pops at all. I love seeing all the people....try to look at the bright side of life otherwise you will find yourself miserable for no reason at all :) Edited by RangerBeo

Numbers are good.. honest.. except when it comes to FPS numbers that is... I saw mine blip to under 3 FPS last night... but hopefully when the rush and excitemtn is over it will level out... I hope :)

My biggest gripe is the amount of genral chat spam .. making getting LFM's noticed and even bigger pain unless your prepared to sit and spam it every 2 seconds cos the next guild spam message has over spammed your LFM spam... 1.3 group finder cant come soon enough imo just get away from continually having to rinse repeat the spam.

I am beginning to feel like a chinese platfarmer now :)

Edited by Bloodstealer

Last night on the Tomb of Freedon Nadd on the Imperial side there was nearly 300 people in the fleet (around 9 ish GMT) on the first instance and on the second one there was about 150 you couldn't even read general chat it was moving so dam fast with people LFG guild recruiters etc

Having never been on a server with queues, I'm curious - what happens if you to log a different character? do you have to queue every time to say, go through all your alts and send your companions off on missions?