Purple Material Acquisition Rate

MaqMac

My main crafter is a Biotech/bioanalysis/diplomacy. As you may/may not know, the epic first tier items require an Alien Blood Sample. This appears to be a random result of first tier diplomacy missions, with the rate affected by your diplomacy level. However, I am around 60 in diplomacy (just been sinking my money into it) and across the dozens of Moderate, Abundant and Bountiful yield Level 1 Medical supply missions I have only aquired 4 Alien Blood Sample, from a single mission, and about 200 Biochemical Bonding Agents.

When I was in beta, the rate was not this horrendous (maybe 1 in 6, not 1 in 50). Am I just unlucky, or has something changed? Or am I doing something wrong?

I am also curious to see if this is just a Diplomacy issue. Anyone got any info for me?

Edited by MaqMac

Have noticed the exact same thing as a Bio/Bio/Dip. I gained the ability to craft the Re-usable version of the Stim type I'm using early on, but was never able to craft it before out-levelling it due to a complete lack of Alien Blood Samples after what seemed like countless Diplomacy missions. I would also like to know if this is bad luck on the part of the OP and myself, or if Mission crits are really that rare.

I am not saying 1 in 6 is reasonable for a crit, because its not. but 1 in 50? if I was to set my prices based on those odds, the level 1 reusable med pack (which people want, btw) would be around. 3k. How is that reasonable?

Also good to see that I am not the only one (or is it?)

Edited by MaqMac

In my experience in crafting on my Armorsmith, these chances also appear based on your crew skill level. Also, it's a fact that your companions affection helps crew skill performance.

When i was hunting purple schematics/purple resources they seemed to come a lot easier when the tier was below me. For example, in your crafting window all items have a difficulty rating...I find that when RE'ing the "gray" difficulty items I have a better chance at new schematics. Of course this could be pure luck but I definitely feel more "criticals" on lower-difficulty tasks.

This makes sense of course...once you reach 400 in a crafting skill, all of the items that require only 40 should be easy for your character to understand/improve.

You get those when you score critical on mission. Base is 20%.

We're aware of how to get them, we were noting how rarely our missions seem to crit, and wondering if other Diplomats seemed to be experiencing the same.

If the base rate is 20%, then myself and the OP must be INCREDIBLY unlucky.

Okay, now am I and the other people who posted here just unlucky? or is that rate bugged for diplomacy?

I don't think its bugged I've had hit and miss with the diplomacy criticals. one day i scored a critical every 2 or 3 missions the next it was more like every 10. As we advance through our stories certain companions should be able to give us an improved critical rate.

I know that for the agent two good companions for the Bio-Chem skill are

Vector - Bio-analsyis efficency & (Diplomacy Critical think its +5) - Alderran

Dr Lokin - Biochem efficiency - Taris

Edited by Explosivity

You have to remmeber to for beta, the drop rates can be higher so more crafting can be done to test objects for bugs and such..

Nonsense. Node distribution in the world wasn't changed, the yield from harvesting a resource wasn't changed, you still gain multiple skill-ups at a time for crafting or harvesting depending on the difficulty of the task, etc. etc. For most intents and purposes, the crafting system that was in beta two weeks ago is in live now.

Something changed with the drop rates of purple items from diplomacy (and maybe other mission crew skills, I've not tried any others in the live version of the game). Whether it's a bug or intentional nerf to drop rate can only be speculated but it's definitely off.

If they wanted to actually slow down crafting, they wouldn't just alter the drop rates of purple components, which aren't needed for leveling. They'd nerf the acquisition of base green quality materials and stop awarding multiple skill point advancements for performing a crew skill action.

Edited by marshalleck

my diplomacy is around 60 as well, and I have gotten a grand total of 0 alien blood samples. something cant be right here.

also if I may ask, do we not get higher tier dip missions untill a later level or am I missing something cause I feel like I should at least be able to select t2 by now.

I have a similiar observation.

I have close to 200 T2 Blue Samples and 0 T2 Purples via Diplomacy.

I agree its now 1 or 2% success rate.

At 210 skill, I have had one diplomacy critical (at T1 for 2 of em). I still use my Re-usable T1 Medkit at L25.

-Eric

went from about 25 to 88 doing nothing but samples finally got one set of 2 alien blood. wish my companions had the + to diplo crit.

Level 25 and using specialized medpacs and bio enhanced med units . Guess other or maybe alts will be getting the only benefit from the reusable kits.

It isn't just Diplomacy for sure. I encounter the same in TH and UWT. I gathered 123 blue level 2 UW metals for just 4 purple, for example.

I have seen the exact same in UWT. I am around 150. I have crit maybe ~4 times and received purples. I am not complaining... I actually prefer an epic feel to my epics BUT there is not a base chance of 20%.

I remember reading the developers post and thought it sickeningly high at the time. The base 20 % level was used to show how specific companions with only +2 % crit wouldn't steer players towards specific professions. At the moment I cant see how the developer is anything but wrong. It's possible I read it wrong, things changed, or it was a typo... I dont know. Right now 2% seems like a doubling of the chances for crits. With the cost of missions now, I feel pressured to always use my "criter"

Edited by Kathvely

Same thing here, I am going through loads of credits and 50+ missions with zero alien blood sample's....I have got 2-4 at the start of the game but now the drop rate even though my diplomacy is higher and my affection to companion is now over 1000, I am still getting a 1-2% drop rate.

Something is broke in diplomacy.

I don't think anything is bugged, as your still able to GET them, they're just rarer.

That being said, I actually found Tier 1 and 2 purple Medical supplies really common - i've got almost 25 of each in my ship storage. Working as intended, i'd say