Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

i miss star wars :(


Cbaoth's Avatar


Cbaoth
12.23.2015 , 04:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by goodnamebro View Post
Im 100% with you, Im not a negative person but that movie broke my heart,
it made me miss George, I feel like im in an alternate universe, everyone is telling me its amazing when I want to burst into tears.
Amen brother !
“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

Cbaoth's Avatar


Cbaoth
12.23.2015 , 04:29 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
Solidarity. Many will wake up to this reality. Jar Jar Abrahms only made his own fan fiction and his lack of the hardware of Star Wars limited it to simple Tie Fighters vs. X-wings. Silly he doesn't even know the Tie's are strictly for space to space combat.
Church..
“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

marcelo_sdk's Avatar


marcelo_sdk
12.23.2015 , 09:54 PM | #23
The few people who didn't like the movie probably sleept through it, because the reasons they give are just nuts. Not liking it is everyone's right, but at least try to elaborate a minimal coherent opinion before unleashing the nerd rage.

Falensawino's Avatar


Falensawino
12.23.2015 , 10:23 PM | #24
I need to sleep early tonight to see tomorrow's early showing of The Force Awakens. Tomorrow is December 24, 2015, this theater only works half day.
The most wretched hive of troll and villainy

Refer a Friend Link
if you continue to fight, what will you become?

JDiablos's Avatar


JDiablos
12.24.2015 , 02:17 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by marcelo_sdk View Post
The few people who didn't like the movie probably sleept through it, because the reasons they give are just nuts. Not liking it is everyone's right, but at least try to elaborate a minimal coherent opinion before unleashing the nerd rage.
Ok.

So we start off the movie with the search for Luke Skywalker. Because when the galaxy was on the threshold of real trouble again he just rolled out after facing some adversity when training his nephew. This isn't necessarily poor story telling. But what about Luke Skywalker's character development thus far give us any inclination that he'd just abandon the fight? Doesn't make sense that he'd have left. Let's say 30 years changes a man and Luke did decide he needed some time on his own... a map? Seriously? Contrived much? So this map is to the original Jedi Temple obviously, since the Empire had access to it via extremely old channels. It's still very silly that R2 had most of it except this small bit which was left on Jakku with a character we're seemingly supposed to know but really have no connection to because there is 0 character development.

Speaking of 0 character development Poe (who was awesome) Is just this really great pilot. He gets this map so they can find Luke Skywalker (again, because the world's greatest Jedi I guess doesn't realize the universe is balanced on a pin and needs people to come find him and tell him. When they do find him he'll be all "Oh for real? It's that bad? Hold up while I grab my jacket I'm on my way. I didn't realize things were going poorly because the future is always in motion and whenever I go into a trance I just see the good stuff that Timothy Zahn wrote, so I thought it was all gravy boats and lamb out there.")

Anyway Poe runs in to trouble which is fine and then we get Finn. Finn is a stormie who's been brainwashed from a young age to act in a certain way but he really doesn't want to. So he doesn't. Brainwashing from a young age isn't really something you just shrug off because it's a Wednesday and you don't feel like killing folk. Plus your buddy died and now you can't put together a decent poker game and that's bumming you out. But let's say Finn is the 1 in a million guy who can just say sod off to a complete and total indoctrination from an extremely young age. Just say "Nah, not into it" to the only life he's ever known or even knows exist. All that being pushed aside. The blood man! When has that ever been a thing? It was so strange and took me completely out of the moment to see blood from a blaster fire injury covering his mask. And I get that they did it to distinguish him from the other 50 or so troopers running around but it killed the whole thing for me. Aren't blasters fire? Don't they just burn or singe? Wouldn't cauterization happen?

Then a bunch of stuff I'm mostly fine with happened.

Cut to escape with Finn and Poe.

So Finn decides to free Poe and that's cool. They have the strangest dynamic I've ever seen between 2 men. Like I've literally never seen 2 guys behave that way towards one another. Maybe that was just me though. They didn't act like 2 guys with a shared mission, they didn't act like bro's. They didn't act like lovers. They sort of acted like Turk and JD from Scrubs. Problem is that relationship was part of the joke on that show, because it was so abnormal. But I digress.

Back to some other problems I had.

So Finn crashed in the desert with no way to navigate and he lucks out and walks straight to the settlement. Which is fine I guess the force is at work. He seems to suffer no real ill effects from recently shrugging off his entire identity since childhood and a lifetime of indoctrination. Just kind of wisecracks and jokes his way into hanging out with Rey. From that point on I understand his character's motivation (she's very hot in an every other person on this planet is an alien kind of way). So anyway these guys need to get off planet and they stumble into the Falcon.

Okay.

They manage to get off planet because the Order is incompetent which is fine. Almost immediately they get picked up by Han Solo. I guess maybe he had some kind of tracker on it if it ever activated(?) But how does he lose his ship in the first place? Again every thing we've learned about Han Solo's character development thus far suggests that he would keep track of that ship. Like, that's his thing.

Anyway now we have Han smuggling because he's given up on life and he's got these aliens in the hold that he's transporting against their will which I guess the EU is gone so Chewie is okay with that form of slavery now (unless these monsters are a bounty of some sort but Han's no bounty hunter right?). But maybe they're not sentient enough so really he's just trafficking in exotic pets(?) so it's okay. Then all hell breaks lose and out of nowhere and with no sensor warnings whatsoever because Han is clumsy and just lets people sneak up on his freighter and get the drop on him (because we associate Han with being a rube who is easily tracked by those who wish him harm and has no mechanisms in place to warn him of impending danger). Then it's just too much. Like there's too many characters there. It's not just Greedo here there's a few different characters introduced with no real background and stuff just starts happening. Like a lot of stuff. Just anarchy without real plot.

So our heroes escape. (yay!)

And go to this bar that's very nostalgic and Han tells the kids to be careful. So the girl walks to the nearest door, into the basement and immediately finds Luke's saber. Cool, I like plot devices in lieu of real story let's just skip 5 minutes of unnecessary story telling. The guy wanders off and these friendly guys who Han told them to be wary of like 5 seconds ago are willing to take him on free of charge and just let him roll with them.

So Finn. At this point what is his deal? He's raised from an extremely young age by a cult. Suffering hours and hours of literal mind turning indoctrination to be the perfect soldier. He shrugs that off first time out because he's just not that into it. He makes BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE with this guy he just met and felt bad for at this village because he needs a pilot to help him get off the ship. That guy dies so he just grabs his coat and bounces to the nearest village. He runs into this girl who he really just wants to make sweet love to (we've all been there) and that becomes his primary focus. He gets into this buddy comedy routine with a droid because he very easily shrugs off what has happened the last 4 days, namely...

1. His best friend dies
2. Innocent people slaughtered by the dozens in front of his eyes by his other friends that didn't die.
3. He turned his back on the only life he's ever known
4. His new best friend dies.
5. He's being hunted by the people who raised him and taught him the only life he's ever known.

But he's got this new thing in his life to fill the void, and that's trying to nail this chick he just met. Wait though, after all that, he decides to give up on her to wander off with some random aliens who are completely willing to let him play tag along. He tries to talk her into going but Rey is at least trying to make an attempt at some character building so she tells him he can bounce if he wants to but she's not about that life.

Anyway the New World Order shows up and wrecks the place, then they steal the girl.

That's cool. Um, so Poe shows up. Not dead. No one who watched the movie thought he was dead, but it was still really weird how they reintroduced him to the movie. Almost as if the movie itself was like...

"You knew he wasn't dead. Let's not play games with each other. I could try make his return climactic and you could try to act surprised but we're too old to play these games. He's not dead, you knew it, here he is in your life again. Enjoy"

Anyway Poe and Finn still have this JD/Turk from Scrubs thing going on. Maybe it's a bond they share because both of their characters are just paper thin. Literally no substance at all, just a string of charismatic one liners. "He's a great pilot! He used to be a stormtrooper! Watch as they share an apartment together and let the hilarity ensue! It's the Odd Couple, Star Wars edition!"

Anyway I'm kind of winding down now because I'm sleepy but I'll just touch on the basics of what's left.

I don't see how the devoted and determined Leia from the OT just shrugs off Han and Luke abandoning the cause to go lollygag about the galaxy. It's almost like everyone from the Original Trilogy has had a complete personality overhaul that even 30 years of life wouldn't necessarily explain.

Along that note Chewie shooting Kylo struck an odd chord with me. I guess it's because I became so immersed in the EU and remember Chewie basically raising Jacen and Jaina but I just don't picture him turning his weapon on Han's son. I assume Kylo was raised at least for a decade or so with Han and Leia, which would include Chewie being around as sort of an uncle figure. If Han wasn't going to attack the kid it seems off that Chewbacca would. Maybe the grief of his best friend's death or his belief that Kylo was beyond redemption played into it. Or maybe I'm projecting something on Chewie that isn't there. Whatever the case I didn't like it at all. Though Chewbacca raging was an otherwise great moment for me, it really touched me. (ya know, because Han and Chewie have a proper friendship built through good and believable story telling)

Death Star #3 was not enjoyable for me.

Rey was kind of a Mary Sue.

Not sure how Hux found Kylo and was able to escape off planet in time considering Kylo just wandered off into the forest. Seemed a poorly though out story piece there.

In fact a lot of the story seemed oddly pieced together. As if there were things the story needed to say but just didn't have time to properly fit them in so just jammed odd things together because...reasons. The pacing was terrible.

All that said though. I enjoyed the movie. It was fun. Actors were fantastic. I liked Finn, even though I thought the character was poorly written. Poe was great. Rey was very well cast. Bad guys were on point. For those who don't like Kylo I really liken him to Jacen Solo (so much he has in common with Jacen it's scary, including being a powerful empath but only a 'meh' duelist)

For that matter Rey is very similar to Jaina (Mechanic, great pilot, very determined. In her lightsaber battle that is exactly how I picture Jaina fighting. Not angry, but not serene either, just determination and a strong sense of self and what is right)

Even their relationships with Han are exactly like Jacen and Jaina. Han doesn't really get Kylo because the kid is moody and very into the force and spends a lot of his time locked in his own thoughts, whereas Rey and Han bond over being pilots and mechanics, they share so much in common but at the same time he see's a power in her that goes beyond him.

Anyway that's no the point.

Movie was fun. Characters were well acted if not well fleshed out. Dialogue was funny. Problem was the plot was sloppy (even though it copied heavily from A New Hope it was still sloppy). Bioware would have written a better story, Tim Zahn would have written a much better story.

That's my problem with the movie. I have such high hopes and expectations for Star Wars. This didn't make it. For a movie it was good, for the next chapter in the Star Wars story it left me unsatisfied.

MiraBindo's Avatar


MiraBindo
12.25.2015 , 04:25 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Anyway Poe and Finn still have this JD/Turk from Scrubs thing going on. Maybe it's a bond they share because both of their characters are just paper thin. Literally no substance at all, just a string of charismatic one liners. "He's a great pilot! He used to be a stormtrooper! Watch as they share an apartment together and let the hilarity ensue! It's the Odd Couple, Star Wars edition!"
Would watch the crap out of this show just like i did with Scrubs. Take my money.

I don't have anything else productive to add to this debate. I loved this movie but i don't feel the need to defend why, everyone can decide for themselves how they felt about it.

Frenesi's Avatar


Frenesi
12.25.2015 , 06:01 AM | #27
You know, it's actually funny how much SW hype has to do with perception of the new movie.

I'm from Russia, and, as you might imagine, we don't have such a cult built around SW. There are a lot of people who like movies, definetely, but few of them go deeper, into things like EU. Full-out SW culture is more of a thing of geeks, and even there it never reached american levels of obsession.

So, you know what is general rating for Ep.7 on russian-speaking sites? 3.4 out of 5. It doesn't even break 4.

Meanwhile, most of english-speaking resources go like "10/10, OH MY GOD 10/10". Interesting, isn't it?
I just dropped in
To see in what condition my condition was in

Referal with some free crap.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.25.2015 , 11:23 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Frenesi View Post
You know, it's actually funny how much SW hype has to do with perception of the new movie.

I'm from Russia, and, as you might imagine, we don't have such a cult built around SW. There are a lot of people who like movies, definetely, but few of them go deeper, into things like EU. Full-out SW culture is more of a thing of geeks, and even there it never reached american levels of obsession.

So, you know what is general rating for Ep.7 on russian-speaking sites? 3.4 out of 5. It doesn't even break 4.

Meanwhile, most of english-speaking resources go like "10/10, OH MY GOD 10/10". Interesting, isn't it?
Really? Most reviews I've read haven't given it a 10/10 or even a 5/5.

Even RT gives less than a 100% (94%) which is just based off of positive reviews and the Audience Rating is 91%

So all together, they're giving it an A rating.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Frenesi's Avatar


Frenesi
12.25.2015 , 12:23 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Really? Most reviews I've read haven't given it a 10/10 or even a 5/5.

Even RT gives less than a 100% (94%) which is just based off of positive reviews and the Audience Rating is 91%

So all together, they're giving it an A rating.
That's what I'm saying. Russian internet is somewhat isolated in that regard (language issues and all that), and reviews drastically differ from english ones.
I just dropped in
To see in what condition my condition was in

Referal with some free crap.

Orlogg's Avatar


Orlogg
12.27.2015 , 04:06 AM | #30
Imho, the film creators (JJ Abrahams c.s.) had a tougher job than many people seem to realize: the SW audience isn't a homogeneous crowd. Long-time fans and people who are into the EU are just a part of that. The movie should also be entertaining for people who watched the previous trilogies, and, relevant to explain the lack of depth many people perceived, newcomers. All the references to te original Star Wars movie (later renamed IV - A New Hope are more a combination of a tribute to that movie, and refreshing viewers' memories, than a ripoff.

All in all, there are certainly things that I regret, but probably much less than in the Prequel Trilogy (which, imho, was great in expanding the Star Wars universe, but poor in storytelling; most of all in its portrayal of Anakin and his transformation into Vader, which was silly to the point of being embarrassing.)

Btw Nice review JDiablos. Please allow me to use it as a frame to add my own 2cts to.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
But what about Luke Skywalker's character development thus far give us any inclination that he'd just abandon the fight? Doesn't make sense that he'd have left. Let's say 30 years changes a man and Luke did decide he needed some time on his own...
Well, apparently whatever happened, was something VERY severe. In-story that is.

Out-of-story they turned Luke's reintroduction into a giant cliffhanger for the next movie. It also gives Mark Hamill more time to lose a few pounds.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Finn is a stormie who's been brainwashed from a young age to act in a certain way but he really doesn't want to. So he doesn't. Brainwashing from a young age isn't really something you just shrug off because it's a Wednesday and you don't feel like killing folk. Plus your buddy died and now you can't put together a decent poker game and that's bumming you out. But let's say Finn is the 1 in a million guy who can just say sod off to a complete and total indoctrination from an extremely young age. Just say "Nah, not into it" to the only life he's ever known or even knows exist. All that being pushed aside. The blood man! When has that ever been a thing? It was so strange and took me completely out of the moment to see blood from a blaster fire injury covering his mask. And I get that they did it to distinguish him from the other 50 or so troopers running around but it killed the whole thing for me. Aren't blasters fire? Don't they just burn or singe? Wouldn't cauterization happen?
Lol, I'm totally here with you; I explained the blood by 'realizing'/pretending that running around in such a blaster fight setting, makes it more likely to get hit by stuff being blownup.

About Finn: his character is probably the biggest flaw in the movie (apart from the physics, but I presume that all SW fans have already decided to discard that anyway). Like you say, he has been indoctrinated into a cult since his early youth. Yet he comes off as a fairly normal youngster, psychologically and morally. It is not even the decision to desert that I find odd here — but the fact that Finn (who until then was only know as FN-2187 and probably had to be in uniform, including a helmet, for most part of the day for most of his life) can engage in casual social contact, that is unbelievable. Even if he'd deserted from a kind of Hitler Jugend, which members at least had a name and a face, he'd had severe problems adapting. North Korean defectors often had ambivalent feelings of reverence for decades after they escaped their country. So, at the very least a more realistic Finn would have been socially awkward. The way he is acting now, makes one believe that there has in fact not been any indoctrination at all — just military training. But Hux's speech and the imagery used by the First order, does suggest it is a Nazi Germany / North Korea type of organization.

(Compare Nazis, North Korea, First Order )

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Then all hell breaks lose and out of nowhere and with no sensor warnings whatsoever because Han is clumsy and just lets people sneak up on his freighter and get the drop on him (because we associate Han with being a rube who is easily tracked by those who wish him harm and has no mechanisms in place to warn him of impending danger). Then it's just too much. Like there's too many characters there. It's not just Greedo here there's a few different characters introduced with no real background and stuff just starts happening. Like a lot of stuff. Just anarchy without real plot.
I liked that part, with the Scottish and Malaysian (?) gangs. (I wonder if these Asian dudes really spoke Malaysian or some other SE Asian language, or that it was just a SW madeup language.)

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
And go to this bar that's very nostalgic and Han tells the kids to be careful. So the girl walks to the nearest door, into the basement and immediately finds Luke's saber. Cool, I like plot devices in lieu of real story let's just skip 5 minutes of unnecessary story telling. The guy wanders off and these friendly guys who Han told them to be wary of like 5 seconds ago are willing to take him on free of charge and just let him roll with them.
Didn't Maz say that they would take him in exchange for work? So, it's more like he would be washing and ironing their cloths and stuff, during the trip.


Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Anyway Poe and Finn still have this JD/Turk from Scrubs thing going on. Maybe it's a bond they share because both of their characters are just paper thin. Literally no substance at all, just a string of charismatic one liners. "He's a great pilot! He used to be a stormtrooper! Watch as they share an apartment together and let the hilarity ensue! It's the Odd Couple, Star Wars edition!"
I agree it was very odd, but I can imagine that extreme, potentially lethal and traumatic circumstances can forge strong bands of friendships in just some minutes. It's the entire psychological background of Finn what I find hard to digest.


Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
It's almost like everyone from the Original Trilogy has had a complete personality overhaul that even 30 years of life wouldn't necessarily explain.
Thirty years is a long time. Hitler's reign only lasted twelve years; we can assume it severely changed the personalities of most of the people it touched. We do not know most of what happened between Palpatine's death and TFA (maybe the general storyline of the EU minus the Yuuzhan Vong but afaik all of that has 'legends' status now) but we do know Luke was training Jedi and that his nephew, Han and Leia's son, turned to the dark side. So, things got sore.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Death Star #3 was not enjoyable for me.
I sorta liked the idea of turning an entire planet into a superweapon, but I cringed when
  • it sucked the energy of a star
  • the resistance members watched some explosions in the sky, which would suggest those hit planets were really close, like if they are all on moons of the same gas giant
SW was never the place for scientific realism, but never before it was so blatantly in the foreground

Btw I liked how, when the SuperWeapon shot, the light reflected in Hux's eyes.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Not sure how Hux found Kylo and was able to escape off planet in time considering Kylo just wandered off into the forest. Seemed a poorly though out story piece there.
Actually, afaik, we don't even know he did, do we? I can't remember I saw Hux actually finding Kylo — but it would be almost unthinkable and very unsatisfying that in the next movie we would learn that Kylo has died. As he's actually part of the Skywalker family, he cannot be a Darth-Maul-one-episode vilain.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
All that said though. I enjoyed the movie. It was fun. Actors were fantastic. I liked Finn, even though I thought the character was poorly written.
Agreed.

Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
For a movie it was good, for the next chapter in the Star Wars story it left me unsatisfied.
Well... My overal emotion is enjoyment coupled with relief — I had feared it would be bad!

This significantly mirrors my emotions when TPM was released. I can remember I actually felt tears running down my cheeks when I saw the Star Wars logo on screen, after, what was it, 16 years or so? (I saw it in the morning, immediately after a night shift — one tends to be less emotionally stable ) And I liked that movie, but there were some oddities. The later prequels had even bigger flaws (especially in the storyline concerning Palp and Vader). I never really liked the post-RotJ books (most of them I only know from reading sniplets, and the overal storylines on Wikipedia) and I recently learned that this imho fairly awful Clone Wars cartoon series is considered canon. So, my expectations were not very high tbh.