Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i miss star wars :(

SithKoriandr
12.28.2015 , 12:54 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Garravesh View Post
Saw some videos of some mother foaming at the mouth because her daughter now has a female hero to worship in the movies...I guess Leia Organa was not a hero.
Padme either. What can we say but, some people are just stupid.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

JDiablos
12.28.2015 , 08:11 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Padme either. What can we say but, some people are just stupid.
Padme did nothing but make terrible decisions.

Leia was highly sexualized in the OT which I think causes people to marginalize her value compared to the menfolk like Han and Luke. She was also the stereotypical damsel in distress in ANH, spent Empire falling all over herself as she couldn't resist the 'bad boy', and of course Return was her in a slave girl outfit followed by a bunch of ewok stuff that most people block out while Luke handles the Emperor and Wedge and Lando blow up the death star.

They're both strong willed women, I'll grant that, but neither of them are lead characters whose actions move the movie. Rey is the first real lead character Star Wars has seen provided they don't end up overshadowing her with Luke or Finn or even Kylo.

As for the whole women lead characters in movies thing. I know this probably isn't the community that likes this kind of thing but Hugh Grant's recent movie Rewrite pokes quite a bit of fun at this new trend in movies and books. In fact watching this movie I thought of Rewrite and chuckled a bit thinking of the way the movie producers in that movie were portrayed.

Rhoulicas
12.28.2015 , 08:30 PM | #43
Best movie I've seen in years. Favorite Star wars being ROTJ, force awakens is second. And I first saw Star Wars when in the theatre when I was 2 months old.

SithKoriandr
12.28.2015 , 09:16 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by JDiablos View Post
Padme did nothing but make terrible decisions.
I recall her just kicking butt in Ep1 and Ep2, don't recall much for Ep3.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

ConVallian
12.28.2015 , 09:21 PM | #45
She was preg with luke and leia

JDiablos
12.28.2015 , 09:56 PM | #46
She did kick a lot of butt in 1 and 2. She also...

Was the Ruler of the planet when it was conquered. This is the kind of thing that's normally blamed on leaders in history books. Also there's a very terse relationship with the Gungans that probably dates before her time but her inability to normalize relations with them early on certainly casts her as poor ruler.

Made a poor decision to contact Naboo when they were in hiding.

Fails to recognize Palpatine for what he is, and ultimately plays a large part in his attaining power.

Engaged in a romantic relationship with what we can all agree was a very flawed individual. (I'm not a woman but what exactly were Anakin's attractive qualities? I'm being serious here what were they? Like name 3! You can't can you?)

Left Jar Jar Binks in charge in her absence.... (This is just blatant disregard for the seriousness of her position as Senator. Also this single act more than any other leads to the Empire rising)

Helps convince Anakin that they 2 alone are capable of answering Obi-Wan's distress call and winds up getting them both captured without achieving any great success in freeing him.

Secretly marries a Jedi and engages in a forbidden relationship that has no real possibility of ever truly succeeding. Was probably the worst thing to happen to either one of them as it ends up killing her and is the trigger for Anakin's path to the dark side.

Fails to recognize Anakin's descent into darkness until too late, much as she failed to see past Palpatine's deception until it was too late.

Unwittingly brings Obi-Wan to the final confrontation with Anakin.

A lot of these are plot devices certainly, but that doesn't make her any less culpable. Also Padme ultimately played nothing more than the Love Interest of the main character (who was a man). While she did kick a lot of but and was a very strong willed and intelligent(?) woman she ultimately boiled down to nothing more than Darth Vader's girlfriend in a lot of ways.

eriksarcasm
12.28.2015 , 10:02 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhoulicas View Post
Best movie I've seen in years. Favorite Star wars being ROTJ, force awakens is second. And I first saw Star Wars when in the theatre when I was 2 months old.
Because you already kinda saw this movie... when you were 2 months old. Like I did.

We're "founders"

The thing that puts me off is that it doesn't "feel" like Star Wars. At all. Say what you want about the prequels, at least they worked within the given rules of the universe. The filmmakers of TFA threw all but the basics away and wrote fan fiction. Just like they did with the other great sci-fi franchise Abrams directed.

I could go on but it's late and I'm old and tired. So I'll just say this: I'll always love Star Wars, no matter what. But this movie... tested that love, in a way not even Jar Jar and midichlorians ever did.
It's what i do... I drink, and I know things.