Rakata Medpacks and PvP medals?

Gabrandt

So I'm a Corruption Sorceror. The 2.5 K single heal medal is within my reach simply by casting Dark Infusion.

Good thing that we've gotten that out of the way.

Now, I finally won an Alloy yesterday and crafted the Rakata Medpack. It often heals for between 4 K and 4.5 K HP.

It doesn't, however, ever grant the 2.5 K single heal medal - and I'm curious as to why that is. The level 40 purple medpack (advanced, I think it is) always gives the 2.5 K single heal medal when it heals for over 2500 in one use. I grew curious and used them both in a single Warzone, and the Advanced Medpack definately gave me the Medal, whereas the Rakata Medpack did not.

Intentional nerf, or glitch?

If it is indeed a glitch to prevent non-healers from getting healing medals (healers really need some PvP love as far as medals go <_<) then it seems like a tremendous oversight to not remove the medal-gains from the lesser medpacks...

From the patch 1.1.0 notes...

Biochem

• Biochem medpacks that heal a player and their companion no longer revive defeated companions.
  • All Energized, Exotech, and Rakata adrenals and stims now require 400 Biochem for use.
  • The Exotech Medpac is now named "Exotech Med Unit." Its overall healing has been reduced and is now in line with similar level medpacs, and it temporarily increases the maximum health of its targets. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.
  • The amount healed by Rakata Medpacs has been reduced. This item now additionally increases maximum health briefly. Use of this item now requires 400 Biochem.

Explanation from BioWare...

As some of you may have already noticed from our patch notes for Game Update 1.1, we’ve made adjustments to several high-end, purple, player crafted items on the BioChem and Cybertech professions. Simply put, we reduced their overall impact on gameplay and I wanted to explain why it was necessary.

BioChem crafted medical kits were too good. In fact, they were too good both in the amount of healing they provided (often more than half a character’s health) and the frequency they could be used (every 90 seconds!). This was negatively impacting the game for everyone else. We’ve seen significant chatter both in and out of game about how players not picking up the BioChem professions would be ‘stupid’ and ‘gimping themselves’. This indicates that a small number of competitive players have been denying access to high end content based on whether a player has the BioChem Crew Skill.

Cybertech grenades, especially when stacked with additional power-ups and other temporary buffs, were creating combat damage burst potential higher than we were comfortable with and caused player versus player engagements in the game to resolve faster than intended. In fact we have additional changes to classes and consumables currently in internal testing to deal with faster than anticipated kill times in player versus player combat in a future patch.

The design intent for the game is that your choice of crafting profession should not become a requirement or ‘gating’ mechanism for participating in competitive content (PvP) and high end endgame challenges. While we certainly want players that engage in the crafting game to reap rewards for their effort, we don’t want one or two crafting professions to become the de facto ‘must have’ choice for everyone, which is what happened here.

We are extremely careful with this type of change, and understand that it can be frustrating for our players when we make them. Please understand, we make these changes not because we like to mess with your character, but because they are required to ensure a level and fun playing field for all players of the game.

At the same time, we understand that people that changed their profession because of the events described above will likely be unhappy about these changes – and while it’s easy to say ‘that’s how it goes in MMOs’, making modifications like this is something we’re always cautious about doing. At the same time, both player feedback and the data gathered from hundreds of servers made it very clear that this issue needed to be dealt with decisively now with only a small minority of players at endgame level and the vast majority of our characters in their 20s to minimize the number of affected players.

TL;DR: Fancy words for ‘we nerfed BioChem and Cybertech endgame products’ because they were so good that players started considering them mandatory. Your choice of profession is not supposed to be the deciding factor for participation and success in endgame content. We still believe that BioChem and Cybertech are very worthwhile Crew Skills, especially considering the significant fortune players with these professions are able to realize on the GTN... they are however no longer the ‘golden ticket’ into endgame content.

So I'm a Corruption Sorceror. The 2.5 K single heal medal is within my reach simply by casting Dark Infusion.

Good thing that we've gotten that out of the way.

Now, I finally won an Alloy yesterday and crafted the Rakata Medpack. It often heals for between 4 K and 4.5 K HP.

It doesn't, however, ever grant the 2.5 K single heal medal - and I'm curious as to why that is. The level 40 purple medpack (advanced, I think it is) always gives the 2.5 K single heal medal when it heals for over 2500 in one use. I grew curious and used them both in a single Warzone, and the Advanced Medpack definately gave me the Medal, whereas the Rakata Medpack did not.

Intentional nerf, or glitch?

I've used the Advanced, Ultimate, and Rakata medpacks in Warzones since the patch. None of the three gave me a medal. I think you're mistaken.

I'm level 35, so the best medpack I can use is the Superior Medpack, which sometimes crits for 2.6k, yet I have never received a medic medal.

Might the medal only work if you've gone out of combat (ie can use your standard recovery in WZ)?

It would be nice to know if the lev 40 medpacks work consistently. I can't test yet, however.

Edited by RetronBlade