i miss star wars :(

LordSathra

The new movie is everything but amazing. My face was marked in horror, as I watch this abomination yesterday. I am still trying to find words of how horrible this was. it was a mockery of SW at best..

I think that the people who think this movie is awseom, like me, saw the trailers and thought "wow..j.j, might actually have done it"..and now that they have seen it, they refuse to accepts the truth. And the truth is, that this movie should never have been done.

I find myself missing George Lucas, and to be honest, I would rather sit down and watch an edited version of SW:TPM where only Jar Jar's scenes are included, than watching this filth again.

My fan boy heart bleeds for saying this, but it's the honest truth. :mad:

Edited by Cbaoth

The new movie is everything but amazing. My face was marked in horror, as I watch this abomination yesterday. I am still trying to find words of how horrible this was. it was a mockery of SW at best..

I think that the people who think this movie is awseom, like me, saw the trailers and thought "wow..j.j, might actually have done it"..and now that they have seen it, they refuse to accepts the truth. And the truth is, that this movie should never have been done.

I find myself missing George Lucas, and to be honest, I would rather sit down and watch an edited version of SW:TPM where only Jar Jar's scenes are included, than watching this filth again.

My fan boy heart bleeds for saying this, but it the honest truth. :mad:

That might be a bit extreme. I think it's exactly what I expected, a Disney movie. Entertaining but hardly groundbreaking. I don't think we'll be quoting this film 30 years from now like we do Yoda in ESB.

My fan boy heart bleeds for saying this, but it the honest truth. :mad:

Do you really have to say this in every thread? Majority of people liked the movie.

I haven't seen it yet but for example, my friend from other country is the biggest star wars fan/nerd, he knows almost everything about expanded universe, and he thinks the movie was amazing. And no, he is not refusing to accept something. So please stop imposing your opinion, it's just an opinion, not the "truth".

That's exactly how i will feel about the film after i watch it. I have foreseen it. :csw_vader:

Edited by Kaedusz

If the movie wouldn't be star wars it would be rated 4,5/5 but because it's star wars ppl have very mixed feelings about it. General public (95%) thinks it's great movie and so do i. I think the most haters have read the non-canon books and for reasons wanted something from the books.

It's New Hope with different characters but i think the next ones are going to have different type of story.

Characters are likeable and plot is good. And the movie looks and sounds amazing.

4/5

Do you really have to say this in every thread? Majority of people liked the movie.

I haven't seen it yet but for example, my friend from other country is the biggest star wars fan/nerd, he knows almost everything about expanded universe, and he thinks the movie was amazing. And no, he is not refusing to accept something. So please stop imposing your opinion, it's just an opinion, not the "truth".

Pfft..are you from forum police?

Can you be more of a hypocrate? You want me to shut about my opinion, yet you and your friend can go on talking about yours!

Just because a friend of yours like the movie, and knows alot about star wars, does not make this movie good and certainly not amazing. Besides knowlegde of the EU is pretty useless in this context.

What I am saying IS the truth, from my point of view. Yes it is absolutely my opinion, and I am pretty sure I am entitled to have one, and so does your awesome EU professor friend..even you can have your own opinion lil' fella,

And if choose to, I will use my right to talk about this, on every damn thread being created about it.

Edited by Cbaoth

Star wars is done and gone the way of the dodo bird....

Lucas gave up or retired to let a new batch of story tellers bastardize the movie and AHEM re imagine it.

JJ Binks and his ST and SW endeavors are the stuff of legends......every geeks dream to direct SW and ST....he frakked em both up IMO.

That might be a bit extreme. I think it's exactly what I expected, a Disney movie. Entertaining but hardly groundbreaking. I don't think we'll be quoting this film 30 years from now like we do Yoda in ESB.

Hopefully I wont rememeber it in 30 days ;)

Pfft..are you from forum police?

Can you be more of a hypocrate? You want me to shut about my opinion, yet you and your friend can go on talking about yours!

Just because a friend of yours like the movie, and knows alot about star wars, does not make this movie good and certainly not amazing. Besides knowlegde of the EU is pretty useless in this context.

What I am saying IS the truth, from my point of view. Yes it is absolutely my opinion, and I am pretty sure I am entitled to have one, and so does your awesome EU professor friend..even you can have your own opinion lil' fella,

And if choose to, I will use my right to talk about this, on every damn thread being created about it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9e/6c/2e/9e6c2e862f019476fa0af5d63f421538.jpg

Edited by Kaedusz

Solidarity. Many will wake up to this reality. Jar Jar Abrahms only made his own fan fiction and his lack of the hardware of Star Wars limited it to simple Tie Fighters vs. X-wings. Silly he doesn't even know the Tie's are strictly for space to space combat.

Solidarity. Many will wake up to this reality. Jar Jar Abrahms only made his own fan fiction and his lack of the hardware of Star Wars limited it to simple Tie Fighters vs. X-wings. Silly he doesn't even know the Tie's are strictly for space to space combat.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter

"During the reign of the Empire, TIE fighters were favored for their versatility, if not for their durability. They were able to operate both in space as well as in planetary atmospheres,"

A long time friend of mine went nuts on Facebook saying this was the greatest thing since sliced bread... I must have watched a different movie heh.

I didn't care for it, and it went about as I feared, though if I'm being honest, I was disappointed more than I expected to be. I don't care for what Abrams did to Trek, and I feel he about did the same to Star Wars. In my opinion TFA was just... not a good movie at all. It didn't feel like Star Wars to me, didn't look like Star Wars to me... I don't know how to put this into words, but everything somehow felt very small to me.... As if I were watching a not-very-good TV show blown up on a large screen, and yet it still felt small.

I did find a few things to like - for instance, and I can't put my finger on it, but I really do like Rey. I expected to hate BB-8 and I rather liked him. But... wow, it was Star Wars-ish, and yet almost like I was watching something else entirely. I guess chalk me up as someone who really didn't like it.

As was well stated earlier in this thread... We won't be talking about this 30 years from now the way we'll STILL be talking about Empire.

A long time friend of mine went nuts on Facebook saying this was the greatest thing since sliced bread... I must have watched a different movie heh.

I didn't care for it, and it went about as I feared, though if I'm being honest, I was disappointed more than I expected to be. I don't care for what Abrams did to Trek, and I feel he about did the same to Star Wars. In my opinion TFA was just... not a good movie at all. It didn't feel like Star Wars to me, didn't look like Star Wars to me... I don't know how to put this into words, but everything somehow felt very small to me.... As if I were watching a not-very-good TV show blown up on a large screen, and yet it still felt small.

I did find a few things to like - for instance, and I can't put my finger on it, but I really do like Rey. I expected to hate BB-8 and I rather liked him. But... wow, it was Star Wars-ish, and yet almost like I was watching something else entirely. I guess chalk me up as someone who really didn't like it.

As was well stated earlier in this thread... We won't be talking about this 30 years from now the way we'll STILL be talking about Empire.

My bet would be the dialogue was the issue. When Ren took off his mask to talk to Rey. When he was fighting them without his mask in the woods. While there is bits of humor in the OT, the two troopers stopping, looking at each other and then walking back the way they came when Ren was destroying the interrogation room was a different humor than we've seen before in SW.

The same with people not caring for the flying alien bug thing that owned Annakin.

Im 100% with you, Im not a negative person but that movie broke my heart,

it made me miss George, I feel like im in an alternate universe, everyone is telling me its amazing when I want to burst into tears.

Edited by goodnamebro

Church..

The few people who didn't like the movie probably sleept through it, because the reasons they give are just nuts. Not liking it is everyone's right, but at least try to elaborate a minimal coherent opinion before unleashing the nerd rage.

Ok.

So we start off the movie with the search for Luke Skywalker. Because when the galaxy was on the threshold of real trouble again he just rolled out after facing some adversity when training his nephew. This isn't necessarily poor story telling. But what about Luke Skywalker's character development thus far give us any inclination that he'd just abandon the fight? Doesn't make sense that he'd have left. Let's say 30 years changes a man and Luke did decide he needed some time on his own... a map? Seriously? Contrived much? So this map is to the original Jedi Temple obviously, since the Empire had access to it via extremely old channels. It's still very silly that R2 had most of it except this small bit which was left on Jakku with a character we're seemingly supposed to know but really have no connection to because there is 0 character development.

Speaking of 0 character development Poe (who was awesome) Is just this really great pilot. He gets this map so they can find Luke Skywalker (again, because the world's greatest Jedi I guess doesn't realize the universe is balanced on a pin and needs people to come find him and tell him. When they do find him he'll be all "Oh for real? It's that bad? Hold up while I grab my jacket I'm on my way. I didn't realize things were going poorly because the future is always in motion and whenever I go into a trance I just see the good stuff that Timothy Zahn wrote, so I thought it was all gravy boats and lamb out there.")

Anyway Poe runs in to trouble which is fine and then we get Finn. Finn is a stormie who's been brainwashed from a young age to act in a certain way but he really doesn't want to. So he doesn't. Brainwashing from a young age isn't really something you just shrug off because it's a Wednesday and you don't feel like killing folk. Plus your buddy died and now you can't put together a decent poker game and that's bumming you out. But let's say Finn is the 1 in a million guy who can just say sod off to a complete and total indoctrination from an extremely young age. Just say "Nah, not into it" to the only life he's ever known or even knows exist. All that being pushed aside. The blood man! When has that ever been a thing? It was so strange and took me completely out of the moment to see blood from a blaster fire injury covering his mask. And I get that they did it to distinguish him from the other 50 or so troopers running around but it killed the whole thing for me. Aren't blasters fire? Don't they just burn or singe? Wouldn't cauterization happen?

Then a bunch of stuff I'm mostly fine with happened.

Cut to escape with Finn and Poe.

So Finn decides to free Poe and that's cool. They have the strangest dynamic I've ever seen between 2 men. Like I've literally never seen 2 guys behave that way towards one another. Maybe that was just me though. They didn't act like 2 guys with a shared mission, they didn't act like bro's. They didn't act like lovers. They sort of acted like Turk and JD from Scrubs. Problem is that relationship was part of the joke on that show, because it was so abnormal. But I digress.

Back to some other problems I had.

So Finn crashed in the desert with no way to navigate and he lucks out and walks straight to the settlement. Which is fine I guess the force is at work. He seems to suffer no real ill effects from recently shrugging off his entire identity since childhood and a lifetime of indoctrination. Just kind of wisecracks and jokes his way into hanging out with Rey. From that point on I understand his character's motivation (she's very hot in an every other person on this planet is an alien kind of way). So anyway these guys need to get off planet and they stumble into the Falcon.

Okay.

They manage to get off planet because the Order is incompetent which is fine. Almost immediately they get picked up by Han Solo. I guess maybe he had some kind of tracker on it if it ever activated(?) But how does he lose his ship in the first place? Again every thing we've learned about Han Solo's character development thus far suggests that he would keep track of that ship. Like, that's his thing.

Anyway now we have Han smuggling because he's given up on life and he's got these aliens in the hold that he's transporting against their will which I guess the EU is gone so Chewie is okay with that form of slavery now (unless these monsters are a bounty of some sort but Han's no bounty hunter right?). But maybe they're not sentient enough so really he's just trafficking in exotic pets(?) so it's okay. Then all hell breaks lose and out of nowhere and with no sensor warnings whatsoever because Han is clumsy and just lets people sneak up on his freighter and get the drop on him (because we associate Han with being a rube who is easily tracked by those who wish him harm and has no mechanisms in place to warn him of impending danger). Then it's just too much. Like there's too many characters there. It's not just Greedo here there's a few different characters introduced with no real background and stuff just starts happening. Like a lot of stuff. Just anarchy without real plot.

So our heroes escape. (yay!)

And go to this bar that's very nostalgic and Han tells the kids to be careful. So the girl walks to the nearest door, into the basement and immediately finds Luke's saber. Cool, I like plot devices in lieu of real story let's just skip 5 minutes of unnecessary story telling. The guy wanders off and these friendly guys who Han told them to be wary of like 5 seconds ago are willing to take him on free of charge and just let him roll with them.

So Finn. At this point what is his deal? He's raised from an extremely young age by a cult. Suffering hours and hours of literal mind turning indoctrination to be the perfect soldier. He shrugs that off first time out because he's just not that into it. He makes BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE with this guy he just met and felt bad for at this village because he needs a pilot to help him get off the ship. That guy dies so he just grabs his coat and bounces to the nearest village. He runs into this girl who he really just wants to make sweet love to (we've all been there) and that becomes his primary focus. He gets into this buddy comedy routine with a droid because he very easily shrugs off what has happened the last 4 days, namely...

1. His best friend dies

2. Innocent people slaughtered by the dozens in front of his eyes by his other friends that didn't die.

3. He turned his back on the only life he's ever known

4. His new best friend dies.

5. He's being hunted by the people who raised him and taught him the only life he's ever known.

But he's got this new thing in his life to fill the void, and that's trying to nail this chick he just met. Wait though, after all that, he decides to give up on her to wander off with some random aliens who are completely willing to let him play tag along. He tries to talk her into going but Rey is at least trying to make an attempt at some character building so she tells him he can bounce if he wants to but she's not about that life.

Anyway the New World Order shows up and wrecks the place, then they steal the girl.

That's cool. Um, so Poe shows up. Not dead. No one who watched the movie thought he was dead, but it was still really weird how they reintroduced him to the movie. Almost as if the movie itself was like...

"You knew he wasn't dead. Let's not play games with each other. I could try make his return climactic and you could try to act surprised but we're too old to play these games. He's not dead, you knew it, here he is in your life again. Enjoy"

Anyway Poe and Finn still have this JD/Turk from Scrubs thing going on. Maybe it's a bond they share because both of their characters are just paper thin. Literally no substance at all, just a string of charismatic one liners. "He's a great pilot! He used to be a stormtrooper! Watch as they share an apartment together and let the hilarity ensue! It's the Odd Couple, Star Wars edition!"

Anyway I'm kind of winding down now because I'm sleepy but I'll just touch on the basics of what's left.

I don't see how the devoted and determined Leia from the OT just shrugs off Han and Luke abandoning the cause to go lollygag about the galaxy. It's almost like everyone from the Original Trilogy has had a complete personality overhaul that even 30 years of life wouldn't necessarily explain.

Along that note Chewie shooting Kylo struck an odd chord with me. I guess it's because I became so immersed in the EU and remember Chewie basically raising Jacen and Jaina but I just don't picture him turning his weapon on Han's son. I assume Kylo was raised at least for a decade or so with Han and Leia, which would include Chewie being around as sort of an uncle figure. If Han wasn't going to attack the kid it seems off that Chewbacca would. Maybe the grief of his best friend's death or his belief that Kylo was beyond redemption played into it. Or maybe I'm projecting something on Chewie that isn't there. Whatever the case I didn't like it at all. Though Chewbacca raging was an otherwise great moment for me, it really touched me. (ya know, because Han and Chewie have a proper friendship built through good and believable story telling)

Death Star #3 was not enjoyable for me.

Rey was kind of a Mary Sue.

Not sure how Hux found Kylo and was able to escape off planet in time considering Kylo just wandered off into the forest. Seemed a poorly though out story piece there.

In fact a lot of the story seemed oddly pieced together. As if there were things the story needed to say but just didn't have time to properly fit them in so just jammed odd things together because...reasons. The pacing was terrible.

All that said though. I enjoyed the movie. It was fun. Actors were fantastic. I liked Finn, even though I thought the character was poorly written. Poe was great. Rey was very well cast. Bad guys were on point. For those who don't like Kylo I really liken him to Jacen Solo (so much he has in common with Jacen it's scary, including being a powerful empath but only a 'meh' duelist)

For that matter Rey is very similar to Jaina (Mechanic, great pilot, very determined. In her lightsaber battle that is exactly how I picture Jaina fighting. Not angry, but not serene either, just determination and a strong sense of self and what is right)

Even their relationships with Han are exactly like Jacen and Jaina. Han doesn't really get Kylo because the kid is moody and very into the force and spends a lot of his time locked in his own thoughts, whereas Rey and Han bond over being pilots and mechanics, they share so much in common but at the same time he see's a power in her that goes beyond him.

Anyway that's no the point.

Movie was fun. Characters were well acted if not well fleshed out. Dialogue was funny. Problem was the plot was sloppy (even though it copied heavily from A New Hope it was still sloppy). Bioware would have written a better story, Tim Zahn would have written a much better story.

That's my problem with the movie. I have such high hopes and expectations for Star Wars. This didn't make it. For a movie it was good, for the next chapter in the Star Wars story it left me unsatisfied.

Edited by JDiablos