What are the crafting numbers?

supreme_sarcasm

TO be clear, I have been looking at crafting and the improvements that are available on some gear/mods. They offer percentage increases or just an arbitrary plus to a skill. I have also noticed that there seems a lot more failures when gathering than before the new system. So my question is, what is the success rate for gathering now? (assume a lvl 50 companion) Then, as a bonus question, what do the improvements do specifically to those chances. As an example, lets say success rate was 50% and you had bonuses totaling 5%. Is the new change additive (i.e. 55%) or a percentage improvement of the base number (i.e. 50%+ 5% of 50%, 52.5%). Finally what about the improvements to crit chance (they are not even expressed as a percentage, just a +). Anyone who can be of any assistance would be appreciated.

Satsujin Crimson

All other percentage bonuses in the game (XP modifiers, Command or Renown modifiers, etc.) are strictly additive. (And your calculation is wrong, anyway. See below.)

That is, when calculating your total +XP percentage, you just add up all the individual percentages. +25% for being a subscriber, +100% because it's a "double" XP period (not happening right now!) would give +125% (100+25) above the base figure that only non-subs ever see.

((below))

The alternative, often termed "multiplicative", involves multiplying, obviously, but not the way you did it, and SWTOR does not use it.

A 5% and a 50% combine additively to make a 55%, as you noted.

They combine (no matter what the order) multiplicatively like this:

* +50% is equivalent to a multiplier of 1.50.

* +5% is equivalent to a multiplier of 1.05.

* Multiply these together: 1.575.

* To get back to a +N% figure, subtract 1 and multiply by 100: +57.5%

So my question is, what is the success rate for gathering now? (assume a lvl 50 companion)

unknown, but it appears to be at least 89.5% (based on +success amps @10.5% resulting in no failure in a small test run)...

The presumed mechanism for +Success amps is [Failure_Rate_Percentage - Success_Percentage] with a zero minimum (so no effecct below zero)

the mechanism for +Efficiency amps works just like Efficency (Time * (1 - Percentage), but is applied AFTER normal efficiency (so the formula is actually [(Time * (1 - Efficiency_Total_Percentage)) * (1 - Amp_Efficiency_Total_Percentage)]... this effectively limits their usefulness to ~4.5% actual at max.

The Mechanism for +Critical Amps is unknownn at this time, because they are bugged and not working

the displays for efficiency and crit base values for each companion are bugged, Crit much worse than Efficiency... the folowing can be used to calculate their proper values yourself

Critical

• Subscriber Bonus (+10% for Orange difficulty, or +15% for all others)
  • Companion bonus (Level * 0.5% rounded down to nearest whole percentage point)
  • Legacy Bonus (+1-3%)
  • Guild Professional Training Skill (+5% if active on completion)
  • Guild Perk Critical Crafting (+1-3%)
  • Guild Fortune Set Bonus (+2%)

Efficiency

• Companion bonus (Level * 1.5% rounded down to nearest whole percentage point)
  • Guild Profession efficacy Skill (+5% if active at skill start)
  • Guild Perk (+3/5/7% based on skill type, Craft/Gather/Mission)
  • Guild Fortune Set Bonus (+2%)

I've also detected changes to crafting crit chance based on item rarity color, but haven't dug much deeper into it (mostlyy because it makes me angrier the more I look at it)

Bioware can't be arsed to document their changes or the intended effects of the amplifiers - so no one knows 'the numbers' for certain.

Historically, missions have worked on a two roll system - first roll is a chance to fail (do not pass go or collect any materials), second roll a chance for crit (no effect if first roll is failure).

Failure chance prior to 6.0 was AFAIK (can't find old post where Bioware documented failure rates) zero for grey missions (mission text), 1% for green, 5% for yellow, 10% for orange.

Most people assume they added an additional ~5% failure rate to all missions in 6.0, subsequently stated to have been adjusted in the last patch to reduce the chance of failure on grey missions (but not the others).

NOTE: BIOWARE DID NOT DOCUMENT THE INCREASED FAILURE RATE IN THE 6.0 PATCH NOTES, NOR DID THEY DOCUMENT HOW MUCH THEY REDUCED THE ADJUSTED FAILURE RATE FOR GREY MISSIONS IN THE LAST PATCH.

Amplifiers with +success appear to reduce failure chance by the stated amount - as in a +1.5% success amplifier appears to reduce a 5% failure chance to 3.5% (which most likely is rounded down based on historical precedence, but again not know for certain).

Amplifiers with +crit appear to be bugged and have little to no noticeable effect.

Crit chance in general appears to have changed - though again nothing documented so no actual numbers, though grey items seems to crit at a higher rate while yellow / orange (most everything useful ATM) appear to crit at a lower rate.

NOTE: NONE OF THE CRAFTING AMPLIFIERS HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED BY BIOWARE AS TO THE ACTUAL INTENDED EFFECTS.

Edited by DawnAskham

[...]

NOTE: NONE OF THE CRAFTING AMPLIFIERS HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED BY BIOWARE AS TO THE ACTUAL INTENDED EFFECTS.

you can work out the efficiency ones if you know the base time for a skill... I use "Invasion Force" as my go to for figuring out how borked the displays are for efficiency (since it's a flat 4hrs base time). I also have all the base times calculated for all crew skill missions, which can be found in the "Hidden UI Data" section of This table (requires taking a personal copy to view that section)

fyi to see the (I assume proper) crit rate for a companion: Open up your companion window, select companion, hover over the influence bar.

Yes, it shows a different result than the mission/crafting window.

That is the base rate for the Companion Level Only...

... it's still slightly off, since fractional percentages are rounded down before use (something I keep reporting as a bug)

• 3 weeks later...