Finally finished the Trooper class story

Lium

Very disappointing and underwhelming. In fact, I'd rank it last out of all the classes I've played so far (I still have to finish BH and IA).

I had two really big issues with the story. First, it was disjointed. Everything after the Gauntlet just seemed thrown together. There wasn't one overall mission, just a bunch of little ones pieced together that didn't seem related. By the time I got to the final assault, I had forgot all about General Rakton. That was supposed to be the main target of the entire class story - stopping General Rakton, the empire's top guy.

When I finally faced him, it was anti-climactic.

Which leads to my second issue, what happened after I faced him.

Being full LS and basically Captain America, I chose to capture Rakton. That turned out to be one of the dumbest things I could do. Upon meeting Chancellor Saresh, I find out she's going to have him released back to the empire in exchange for some POWs.

What?!

That was seriously bad writing. What made it even worse, was that agreeing with Saresh was the LS choice. Disagreeing with her was DS. Seriously, what the actual eff? No one in their right mind would agree to that. This is supposed to be the top general of the Imperial Army. There is no way anyone, politician or not, would ever agree to let him go. Ever. Just think of all the intel you could learn from him. The leverage you would have over your enemy. There are SO MANY reasons why you would never let someone like Rakton go. Not to mention he's just dangerous. Letting him go guarantees he will return even stronger. This was just wrong on so many different levels.

It would be like the Resistance from The Force Awakens capturing General Hux, and then deciding to give him back to the First Order in exchange for some low ranking POWs. Would never happen. Just bad writing all the way around.

It killed the class for me. This is yet another example of being penalized in the game for being the good guy. It happened in KOTET as well with Lord Dramath. You are clearly supposed to make the DS choice in these situations because if you don't, things either don't work out or they are much harder to get through. Poor writing/poor design.

Another minor issue I had was not meeting Jace Malcolm. Wasn't he the former commander of Havoc Squad and the current supreme commander of the Republic military? Seemed like he should have been mentioned at least once or twice during the story, since you are now holding the position he once held, and ultimately are serving under him. A mission to capture or kill General Rakton would seem to be important enough to get Malcolm's attention.

Also, what was up with only being a major? My Jedi and Sith characters all ended up being masters and Darths. I was expecting to be a general after everything, but still just ended up being a major. Kind of disappointing.

What I did like about the story were the characters, fighting as a team, and the Battle of the Gauntlet. That was the most exciting and epic scene of all the class stories I've played. Actually, I think it's the highlight of the game, period. Almost worth rolling a trooper for this mission and cutscene alone.

Also, the class is fun to play and just bada**. Commandos definitely bring it. And their armor and huge guns look sick.

As I recall, the Dark Side hit for threatening to quit if Saresh trades Rakton back for random nobody PoWs is smaller than the Light Side reward for taking him alive in the first place, so even if you tell Chancellor ***** to take a running jump, you're still ahead alignment-wise.

I agree that no-one with a brain would give Rakton back to the Imps so, yeah, take the alignment hit for not being a moron.

I'm not usually one for spoilers, but I'm glad I read this thread. Especially with JediAkemi's comment, I'll know now how to handle that part of the storyline...

:)

Thanks!

CM

Edited by kromandar
spelled username wrong

It's been a little while since I looked it up, but wasn't Saresh trading him back for thousands of Republic POWs?

Anyway, as a general rule, if you don't agree with a choice, you shouldn't take it. Even if you are mostly lightside or darkside, occasionally picking another alignment choice when the situation calls for it makes characters more interesting, imo.

Another minor issue I had was not meeting Jace Malcolm. Wasn't he the former commander of Havoc Squad and the current supreme commander of the Republic military? Seemed like he should have been mentioned at least once or twice during the story, since you are now holding the position he once held, and ultimately are serving under him. A mission to capture or kill General Rakton would seem to be important enough to get Malcolm's attention.

Colonel Jace Malcom is stationed on Alderaan. You can work for him in the planetary bonus series.

He gets promoted to Supreme Commander after Ilum, replacing Rans.

It's been a little while since I looked it up, but wasn't Saresh trading him back for thousands of Republic POWs?

Anyway, as a general rule, if you don't agree with a choice, you shouldn't take it. Even if you are mostly lightside or darkside, occasionally picking another alignment choice when the situation calls for it makes characters more interesting, imo.

Yes. Thousands of PoW. However, the General has killed millions and would kill millions again, if let free.

The question I have now though, is which version if the canon version?

Very disappointing and underwhelming. In fact, I'd rank it last out of all the classes I've played so far (I still have to finish BH and IA).

I had two really big issues with the story. First, it was disjointed. Everything after the Gauntlet just seemed thrown together. There wasn't one overall mission, just a bunch of little ones pieced together that didn't seem related. By the time I got to the final assault, I had forgot all about General Rakton. That was supposed to be the main target of the entire class story - stopping General Rakton, the empire's top guy.

When I finally faced him, it was anti-climactic.

Which leads to my second issue, what happened after I faced him.

Being full LS and basically Captain America, I chose to capture Rakton. That turned out to be one of the dumbest things I could do. Upon meeting Chancellor Saresh, I find out she's going to have him released back to the empire in exchange for some POWs.

What?!

That was seriously bad writing. What made it even worse, was that agreeing with Saresh was the LS choice. Disagreeing with her was DS. Seriously, what the actual eff? No one in their right mind would agree to that. This is supposed to be the top general of the Imperial Army. There is no way anyone, politician or not, would ever agree to let him go. Ever. Just think of all the intel you could learn from him. The leverage you would have over your enemy. There are SO MANY reasons why you would never let someone like Rakton go. Not to mention he's just dangerous. Letting him go guarantees he will return even stronger. This was just wrong on so many different levels.

It would be like the Resistance from The Force Awakens capturing General Hux, and then deciding to give him back to the First Order in exchange for some low ranking POWs. Would never happen. Just bad writing all the way around.

It killed the class for me. This is yet another example of being penalized in the game for being the good guy. It happened in KOTET as well with Lord Dramath. You are clearly supposed to make the DS choice in these situations because if you don't, things either don't work out or they are much harder to get through. Poor writing/poor design.

Also, what was up with only being a major? My Jedi and Sith characters all ended up being masters and Darths. I was expecting to be a general after everything, but still just ended up being a major. Kind of disappointing.

What I did like about the story were the characters, fighting as a team, and the Battle of the Gauntlet. That was the most exciting and epic scene of all the class stories I've played. Actually, I think it's the highlight of the game, period. Almost worth rolling a trooper for this mission and cutscene alone.

Also, the class is fun to play and just bada**. Commandos definitely bring it. And their armor and huge guns look sick.

The Trooper class was personally my favorite of the Pub side class side stories. But, I can see why you felt why the story would feel pieced together in some places. The Gauntlet is in fact a series of smaller missions, but that's to be expected given what the overall mission is. Your character has a set of tasks to complete in a certain order or the mission is a complete failure.

I do agree with you about the handling of General Ratkin. He was mentioned only briefly here and there until the last chapter which was definitely poorly handled. You'd think that they would have at least had a little more lead up to his entrance into the story.

And then Saresh. If there was one character I could choose to kill out of all the classes it would definitely be her.

Even over Quinn. XD

She's a power hungry politician, simple as that. Everyone under her command knows it, but there's nothing they can do about because she's the Governor. The Republic isn't predisposed to eliminating their leaders, even if they are conniving and backstabbing. The fact that she's willing to let Ratkin go in the end just solidifies her incompetence.

I know you were playing a light side Trooper, but I think what also made my play through more fun was that I turned off the alignment indicators. Yes, you can tell what some are considered the the light or dark side choices, but it helped the story in general when you're more focused on the actual decision than if you get light or dark points for it.

Edited by Venn_Dras

I liked the Trooper story, it felt very military to me. Many missions I was given I didn't agree with, many I did. Playing strictly LS or DS in an see how it would be jarring, but military life has quandaries .

Do you follow orders? Disobey? Do what's right for the individual or what's right for the Republic as a whole?

The specific choice you seem to have a problem with,General Rakton, is a thing that earth militaries have done for centuries. It's not uncommon for high ranking/value targets to be traded for POWs. You just have to either suck it up as a good soldier or buck the system and deny your superiors

I liked the trooper story and did not feel it really disconnected due to the nature of what the trooper was trying to do little missions that aim towards he whole like getting the starfighters out, they have no real input into the story after that but they would be needed for the war as a whole.

With the choice it's what made me hard saresh as i realised how much more she was concerned with people's opinion of her than doing the right thing, I mean i would have backed my trooper more to rescue those pows than I would have than to capture rakton again.