Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chosonman
01.16.2015 , 01:57 PM | #111
Imo crafting is a side show and runs counter to ea's goal of making the game simple for casuals and generating a profit so killing crafting mini game (or at least diluting it to purely crafing augments and kits) isnt out of the realm of possibilities.

You can already see that the major crafting items such as armor, weapons, color crystals, mounts, and dyes are all "produced" by CM pack buyers. What were seeing with the slot machine is just an evolution of the direction EA is going with respect to crafting.

Its always been maintained that EA wants a larger causual gamer base. And what better way to increase their revenue by making everything available via the cartel market. Because as we know crafters are killing the bottom line.

Casuals can now play the crafting game too. They no longer have to level their comps, and log in every 30 minutes to check in on their missions. They can just roll dice for 30 minutes and be done for the day. The catch is you need to spend real money getting the magic crafting machine.
Sun-Sin | Jihyea | Sejong | Jisun
Jung Ma | Ebon Hawk
<Lee Legacy >
Referral - free character transfer

Jeweledleah
01.16.2015 , 02:03 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by chosonman View Post
Casuals can now play the crafting game too. They no longer have to level their comps, and log in every 30 minutes to check in on their missions. They can just roll dice for 30 minutes and be done for the day. The catch is you need to spend real money getting the magic crafting machine.
or make friends with someone who has one already, gain acess to their stronghold and do it that way.

idnewton
01.16.2015 , 02:17 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As a reminder, do not scam people as that is against ToS.
According to your customer support, scamming is fine as long as your account is not subscribed. That's literally what I was told. Might want to clear that up...
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 24
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +31,000
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space'

Exastify
01.16.2015 , 02:23 PM | #114
The problem with the drop rate is not because of "jawa junk barons" or anything like that, it's that it makes mission skills completely irrelevant. It is currently both faster and cheaper to get purple mats from the slot machine than it is to run the mission skills.

Mission skills are not a "1% of the players will control the market thing", it's something everyone has access to. With the current drop rate of jawa junk, they are useless. With the upcoming nerf, it will make mission skills viable again.

Obviously if you don't have mission skills then you wouldn't like the update, but I would consider crew skills to be an important part of SWTOR gameplay, so it should be important to keep them relevant.

Jeweledleah
01.16.2015 , 02:30 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Exastify View Post
The problem with the drop rate is not because of "jawa junk barons" or anything like that, it's that it makes mission skills completely irrelevant. It is currently both faster and cheaper to get purple mats from the slot machine than it is to run the mission skills.

Mission skills are not a "1% of the players will control the market thing", it's something everyone has access to. With the current drop rate of jawa junk, they are useless. With the upcoming nerf, it will make mission skills viable again.

Obviously if you don't have mission skills then you wouldn't like the update, but I would consider crew skills to be an important part of SWTOR gameplay, so it should be important to keep them relevant.
I have missions skills. unless they BOOST the drop-rate from mission skills? I'd rather they didn't nerf the machine OR conquests. as an altoholic, I was stuck using blue augments almost exclusively, BECAUSE THE DAMN PURPLES WOULDN'T DROP. even with multiple characters increasing my chances. I was swimming in blue mats though, way more than I could ever use even with augmenting every alt's multiple spec sets.

the issue isn't the machine. the issue is - mission skills always sucked. but you were forced to use them, especially slicing, becasue there was no other way.

now, thanks to jawa vendors being updated? we have options. and GTN gaugers, can go to hell.

so maybe, just maybe, what they should be fixing is NOT the slot machine, what they SHOULD be fixing is mission skills

bowlergirl
01.16.2015 , 02:30 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun!

-eric
Please do not nerf the slots. You spend credits to gain tokens and spend tokens to hopefully gain jawa junk. The slot is completely RNG and there is no guarantee that you will get jawa stuff. I feel that the people complaining are only doing it because they are no longer the go to for mats on the GTN. The slot is great for people who have a great RNG rate and do not want to pay the somewhat ridiculous prices for mats on the GTN. Rather than nerfing the current slot machine, just add a new one with different RNG rate and possibly different rewards. Instead of nerfing the slots, another option could be changing the cost at the jawa vendors.

Khevar
01.16.2015 , 02:33 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
I was stuck using blue augments almost exclusively, BECAUSE THE DAMN PURPLES WOULDN'T DROP. even with multiple characters increasing my chances. I was swimming in blue mats though, way more than I could ever use even with augmenting every alt's multiple spec sets.
Ouch, that sucks.

Just to double-check: Were you running any other Slicing missions besides "Disassembly Required" and "Forsaken Handshake"? Those are the only two missions capable of returning Adaptive Circuitry.

captpickles
01.16.2015 , 02:33 PM | #118
MAN I CANNOT WAIT FOR 25K PURPLE AUGS AND MODS AND BARRELS WOO HOO! WHO ELSE IS EXCITED THAT EQUIPPING A COMPANION JUST GOT 50% CHEAPER !?11?11?

Ok that might have been a little mean to the GTN czars ... :P

DarthTHC
01.16.2015 , 02:36 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by captpickles View Post
MAN I CANNOT WAIT FOR 25K PURPLE AUGS AND MODS AND BARRELS WOO HOO! WHO ELSE IS EXCITED THAT EQUIPPING A COMPANION JUST GOT 50% CHEAPER !?11?11?

Ok that might have been a little mean to the GTN czars ... :P
Do the Weekly on Yavin IV and tricking out a companion costs ~1.5 hours of your time, maybe less.

branmakmuffin
01.16.2015 , 02:36 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by bowlergirl View Post
The slot is great for people who have a great RNG rate
No one has a better (or worse) "RNG rate" than anyone else. Although there is no shortage of people who will claim otherwise (Mr. Perception Bias is not Dr. Science's buddy).