Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's with this half-arsed manner of storytelling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What's with this half-arsed manner of storytelling?

TGaP_Andrey
01.19.2019 , 05:54 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
A variant on Santayana's famous phrase goes something like:

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

IMHO This should be in big friendly letters above the office in Austin TX. - And everyone should have a good old read of the forums and a look at sub numbers before even getting near a developing tool.

The story has come in for a lot of criticism over the last few years.... Lets hope that this new turn is one for the better. - But somehow I don't hold out much hope.
The 6.0 will be Battle for Azeroth kind of dumbf**kery: it will PRETEND to be a story of war between factions for a very short time until some eldritch abomination from the outer space comes to play. And all of them like "hey, we are very wise and pragmatic and smooort and full of common sense LET'S JOIN OUR FORCES ONLY FRIENDSHIP WILL BEAT THE EVUL!".

Of course we need to make amendments for a low budget and cheap execution of the plot. so it will be like twenty minutes of cutscenes and two hours of trash grinding with the most unoriginal boss in the end, intended to be fought in Operation where almost no one ever will come except for a couple of poor souls who seriously try to do ops in swtor of 2019.

JuventusAndFCK
01.19.2019 , 12:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
A variant on Santayana's famous phrase goes something like:

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

IMHO This should be in big friendly letters above the office in Austin TX. - And everyone should have a good old read of the forums and a look at sub numbers before even getting near a developing tool.

The story has come in for a lot of criticism over the last few years.... Lets hope that this new turn is one for the better. - But somehow I don't hold out much hope.
I found Ossus, while a nice world with room for exploration and heroics, to feature a very oddly paced story. I kinda feel it was a bit of a wasted opportunity not to use some of the many very similar jedi women that the different classes can have for companions in the story. Nadia, Kira, Ashara and Jaesa aren't that far apart in regards to their stances on the Jedi code and how to behave as a Jedi. Not in that, they have completely similar views, but that all of them have personalities and experiences that probably won't allow them to become great jedi masters. They are all quite passionate when it comes down to it.

Instead we got Tau who wasn't necessarily a bad character, but just feels like a stand in that is never replaced with a returning companion even when you play as a consular and Nadia might as well have been your companion for the story.
Also just in terms of the alliance, I feel like Jedi are oddly under represented. The story could also have been so much more interesting playing as a republican-siding Sith for this expansion.

I don't really know anything about the team size or resources Bioware has left to use on swtor, but I can't help but feel like it wouldn't have had to take that much more narrative ambition to make Ossus just feel a bit more grand.