A good starting point for the Expanded Universe

Jaavik

If I were to start reading some of the Star Wars Expanded Universe books, where would be a good place to start?

I would start at the Bane trilogy. Those books give a good background on how the Rule of Two comes into play and it has some great action in it.

It depends on where you want to start. For post-RotJ, "The Truce at Bakura" is probably the best place. It literally takes place directly after the celebration on Endor.

For pre-PT, I would suggest the old "Tales of the Jedi" comics from Dark Horse.

Well, it depends. If you want to read them in order, then grab any recent Star Wars novel in your local bookstore and flip to the timeline in the front of the book (all of the new ones have them), find where you want to start, and make yourself a list.

If you're just looking to cherry pick certain books that are good reads, I highly recommend (and I think tthey're largely acknowledged as the best) the Thrawn Trilogy by Timoth Zahn, which consists of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. Courtship of Princess Leia was also good, though I can't remember who wrote it. Zahn also wrote a Duology called Hand of Thrawn, which is Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future, which were also great.

If you're looking for a long series, I rather liked New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force (and if you're going to read LotF, definitely read NJO first).

Oh, and my personal favorite EU book is I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole. I would, however, recommend reading Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy beforehand (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, and Champions of the Force).

These are all post-Return of the Jedi books, as I personally am not a big fan of prequel stuff. If you have certain characters or a certain timeline you're looking to read more about, list some specifics and we can probably give you a better idea about what to read :)

The first one is Paths of Destruction. The second one is Rule of Two and I forget what the third one is. Just start with Paths and the rest will be revealed in time(cryptic wasn't it)

Last one is Dynasty of Evil

Edited by Neltronluur