Trooper Commando - Healer Build

Capt_Beers

Here's the build for my Commando healer I am planning on going with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dfMMRzfbkqZrcoZb.1

I planning on playing mostly PvE, only doing PvP as necessary to bu some of the PvP gear. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. This is the first time I am playing an MMO and certainly the first time in any game type I am going to be in a support role instead of directly involved in any action. So I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Capt_Beers

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rdRoRdfdkqZrco.1

Build I personally plan to use at 50, at least until I can get enough Alacrity to warrant changing to another build to support it. If I'm solo'ing or doing non-hard mode/operations there is a good chance I'll run that anyway.

Optimizing for alacrity before you really have enough of the stat to warrant it isn't that smart, imho. Also, with a shorter induction for your heals you have to become more aware of your ammo expenditure. The normal 2.0 and 1.5s inductions help as a natural slow down to spamming, but running out of ammo is quite possible. Reduce those times and it becomes even more important to stay aware of your ammo usage.

Also, using Advanced Medical Probe before Medical Probe should be done whenever possible once you get the talent maxed that reduces the cost of Medical Probe by 2 after getting AMP.

Here's the build for my Commando healer I am planning on going with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dfMMRzfbkqZrcoZb.1

I planning on playing mostly PvE, only doing PvP as necessary to bu some of the PvP gear. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. This is the first time I am playing an MMO and certainly the first time in any game type I am going to be in a support role instead of directly involved in any action. So I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks in advance for any help.

No super charge cells? Hmmm

Also, I'd pull the points out of first responder and Medzone. Increasing alacrity by a lot of points translates into a casting reduction of 1 or 2 tenths of a second. Seems like a lotta buck for very little bang. That's been my experience anyway.

Edited by Buckit

anyone wanna give me your opinion on my build

trying to go pure heals

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMR0fbkqZrzoMZo.1

Question is, is it for PVP or PVE?

I would not use the two points in heavy trooper, but move them to Ironsight. The 6% more Aim is helping you alot more.

And you are not using the Armor Screen? The 10% more armor can help, when you are healing the Tank. Sure, its more or less useless for all other. For PVE i would use it, für PVP is questionable.

On the other side you dont have efficient conversation. It all depend how much you use these spells.

But most skill builds are always best made for your own play style.

Combat shield and Med zone are really great for PVP, when the opponents start to focus on you. Just fire your bubble, and watch them beating you, while you heal yourself up. But these two are nearly useless for PVE.

Other question: how many spells are you using that have a cast time? You are using 3 points for faster cast rate. But basicly there are only 2 spells with a cast time, that you use (AMP and MP). Check out if it is worth the 3 points for these 2 spells.

Only suggestions, it always comes down to what you like :).

This is the build I am using. Just killed Nightmare Karraga last night.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRMRbcdkqZrcoZb.1

The only point that I feel is optional is Psych Aid because necessary dispells are few and far between. Having said that, the only other place I might put that point is in Efficient Conversions because I use those abilities often, but mainly for trash.

A lot of people say Alacrity is bad. So many points or percentages nets a 1-2 tenths of a second cast time reduction. That's perfectly true. The simulators that have been built support that. I don't think simulators can accurately assess the importance of Alacrity. Now, I don't stack alacrity, and if I have extra equipment tokens, I'll find something to take a mod from to focus on Power and Surge.

But I think the 9% Alacrity from 5 Skill Points is so much better than the other things we can put them in. Here's why: Our AoE heals suck. BUT! When I trigger Supercharge Cells I can cast Adv. Med Probe > Med Probe > Adv. Med Probe > Med Probe... over and over again. Alacrity is saving me a lot of time spamming those spells, so I am spreading the heal over time and 10% armor from Adv. Med Probe over more people, faster.

That doesn't even address the fact that you can't just stand there and cast. You have to move. When you run into range of some who needs a heal, Alacrity will get them that heal quicker. It saves lives.

The few places you might put those points instead:

Cell Capacitor: I list this first because it's the best of the worst. I think you would have to have very poor ammo management for this to be useful. Or be severely undergeared for what you are attempting. If you want/need points in this, take them out of Weapon Calibrations.

Med Zone and Combat Shield: These require Reactive Shield to be active. In PVP this would be really good, in PVE it's basically useless.

Heavy Trooper: No. It's a tiny increase and it only affects you. Better in Flashpoints, but loses value in Ops. When I said "Better" that meant it's not completely terrible. Again, good for PVP.

My pertinent stats completely unbuffed, just with the spec I promote, are:

Bonus Healing: 477.4

Critical Chance: 37.48

Critical Modifier: 75.10

Activation Speed: 11.01

I just finished Hard Mode Eternity Vault and Hard Mode Karagga's Palace as a Commando healer with another Commando healer. That's right, two Commando healers doing hard modes, it can be done and its beautiful!

Anyway, I actually agree with Withonor. And like he said about Cell Capacitor, it's worth looking into. Personally I'd take points out of Steady Hands and put it into Cell Capacitor, but it really depends on your tanks ability to keep aggro and the fight itself. If the fight has a lot of damage going out that can push back your spells or a lot of adds that makes it difficult to keep threat, then keep Steady Hands. The only reason I say that is sure, with proper cell management ammo isn't an issue but there are times where you need to burn out on purpose and come back to full quickly. It just gives you another tool in case things get bad.

A lot of people say Alacrity is bad. So many points or percentages nets a 1-2 tenths of a second cast time reduction. That's perfectly true. The simulators that have been built support that. I don't think simulators can accurately assess the importance of Alacrity. Now, I don't stack alacrity, and if I have extra equipment tokens, I'll find something to take a mod from to focus on Power and Surge.

I couldn't agree more. It's insane how often .1 reduction in cast time will make a difference between life and death. That is part of the reason I really like Crit so I can keep First Responder on. I stack a lot of power though but not as much Surge as I'd like. A good tip for those new to healing is to not think in terms of total potential output, but rather how you can better handle various situations.

Long story short, read Withonor's post. Also, do not underestimate small buffs. They far outweigh any personal survivability that you may gain from putting points elsewhere.

Edited by Thravin

anyone wanna give me your opinion on my build

trying to go pure heals

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMR0fbkqZrzoMZo.1

This is how I'd do it:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMRdMdzqZrcoZo.1

or:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMRdzdzqZrckZo.1

IMHO if your healing, you shouldn't be looking to increase your survivability over enhancing your healing ability.

So instead of heavy trooper increasing your aim will give you better heals so I'd put those 2 points in iron sights.

Instead of med zone I'd put the 2 points in combat shield (because it makes healing easier) and armor screen (because it gives your heal target more durability). Med zone only works if your healing your self and that shouldn't happen too often if everything's working right.

After all the "must have" talents IMHO you have 2 extra points. So you can throw them in field triage to help with your ammo regen (though that's never really a problem) psych aid if you think you'll need the debuff (which is debatable) or muzzle fluting to increase the damage of our go to damage ability.

Now just use your fav tanking companion for leveling and your golden.

Hey guys, Im kinda puzzled as to why most of the builds here spend a point in Psych Aid. Is it really worth it?

Heres my (intended, currently lvl 27) basic 31 point medic tree: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRoRbcdzq.1

(PVE build btw)

I feel that Efficient conversions might not be that great. Any thoghts on this? Should I spend that point elsewere?

I also have some doubts about First Responder... But Ive seen many build that include it, could anyone enlighten me on its usefullness?

Hey guys, Im kinda puzzled as to why most of the builds here spend a point in Psych Aid. Is it really worth it?

Heres my (intended, currently lvl 27) basic 31 point medic tree: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRoRbcdzq.1

(PVE build btw)

I feel that Efficient conversions might not be that great. Any thoghts on this? Should I spend that point elsewere?

I also have some doubts about First Responder... But Ive seen many build that include it, could anyone enlighten me on its usefullness?

I didn't bother with Psych Aid, it might be a mistake for end game, won't know till I get there. But any groups I healed I never even really found a major need for Field Aid let alone Psych Aid.

As for First Responder , alacrity reduces cast time so it really only effects our probes and our channeled DPS abilities. It doesn't reduce cool down only cast, and it doesn't even reduce it a lot. But it could make the difference between getting a much needed heal in or not. So I guess it's another debatable one on how important it is.

I didn't bother with Psych Aid, it might be a mistake for end game, won't know till I get there. But any groups I healed I never even really found a major need for Field Aid let alone Psych Aid.

As for First Responder , alacrity reduces cast time so it really only effects our probes and our channeled DPS abilities. It doesn't reduce cool down only cast, and it doesn't even reduce it a lot. But it could make the difference between getting a much needed heal in or not. So I guess it's another debatable one on how important it is.

Thanks for the reply, mate. Unfortunately you forgot - or choose not to - comment on the skill point I spent on Efficient conversions. Should it be put elsewere, say, Combat Shield?

As for First Responder, I did happen to know what alacraty entails... It s just that the buff itself is dependent on a crit (althogh those should happen quite often as the psasives on the medic tree alone boosts crit chance on heals to 21%)

(PVE build btw)

If you read my original post in this thread in detail, your questions would have been answered.

Essentially, I chose Psych Aid over Essential Conversions because there are a couple boss fights that need me to dispell, whereas their aren't boss fights where I need to cast anything covered by Essential Conversions. It's a tiny difference. Essential Conversions works on trash really well, especially if you're doing HM Flashpoints mostly.

I would take First Responder over Cell Capacitor because 5% Alacrity benefits you all the time and Cell Capacitor only helps if you go to zero Ammo for some reason. Your crit will be plenty enough as you get gear to keep First Responder up full time as long as you don't stand around. DPS if you have time.

Thanks for the reply, mate. Unfortunately you forgot - or choose not to - comment on the skill point I spent on Efficient conversions. Should it be put elsewere, say, Combat Shield?

As for First Responder, I did happen to know what alacraty entails... It s just that the buff itself is dependent on a crit (althogh those should happen quite often as the psasives on the medic tree alone boosts crit chance on heals to 21%)

Actually didn't even notice it till right now. lol As for putting a point in it. It's another debatable one I guess. The way I see it there are points you really need to spend to be an effective healer. After that there are a few points (3 actually) that where you put them becomes a matter of preference. As the post above me stated he does have Psych Aid because there's a couple of boss fights where it's needed. As for First Responder I see it going off so often it's all most like it's a buff. lol Which I guess means I'm criting a lot.

This is how I'd do it:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMRdMdzqZrcoZo.1

or:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRMRdzdzqZrckZo.1

IMHO if your healing, you shouldn't be looking to increase your survivability over enhancing your healing ability.

So instead of heavy trooper increasing your aim will give you better heals so I'd put those 2 points in iron sights.

Instead of med zone I'd put the 2 points in combat shield (because it makes healing easier) and armor screen (because it gives your heal target more durability). Med zone only works if your healing your self and that shouldn't happen too often if everything's working right.

After all the "must have" talents IMHO you have 2 extra points. So you can throw them in field triage to help with your ammo regen (though that's never really a problem) psych aid if you think you'll need the debuff (which is debatable) or muzzle fluting to increase the damage of our go to damage ability.

Now just use your fav tanking companion for leveling and your golden.

Both your builds go without full field triage? I am sorry, but that's so much /fail that all the rest of your posting is not worth accounting for any more.

Your setup can work for emergency spike healing, but for any real healing, you need reliable energy management. SSC, which you skilled, gives you a lot of that, due to its synergy with field triage. As you left field triage at 1/3, you lack this reliable energy management.

Sorry, but anybody reading that post, drop advanced tech, cell capaciator, weapon calibration or first responder. Or basically anything, really! Get 3 points in field triage or be the laughing stock of any experienced healer.

(PVE build btw)

The answers to this, from my point of view.

I run with Psych Aid, but i consider it mostly a PvP tool. It's not that there are no PvE applications, but due to the UI being utter crap in this aspect it's very hard to cleanse properly. Not only are the symbols hard to see (it's like 3x3 pixels in the raid frame), even if you bother, the tooltips lack essential information. I can't see the type of the debuff and thus don't know if i can remove it or not.

Still there are some PvE uses. As an example, most debuffs of Frostclaw can be cleansed away, and while i don't know if any of them was psychic and thus would not have been cleansable without it skilled, i know that the reduced ammo costs helped me a lot there. Only after i started cleaning the tank again and again, i was able to keep him alive. There are other PvE situations where it would be useful, would the UI just provide the necessary information. Since it doesn't, you'll often have to counter debufs with more raw healing instead of going the more ressource efficient way.

On efficient conversions, again, i do use it, but mostly from a PvP point of view. I might need to apply a stun in PvE once in a while, but that's usually at the start of a fight, so i can spare the ammo. If i need to do more CC during a fight it more often that not means that somebody else in the group is not doing his job. Froma PvP point of view, though, these tools are livesavers which i often need to use exactly when i am in trouble, thus when i might already be low on ammo. That's when efficient conversions shines the most.

Last not least, first responder, some people love it a lot, i am unsure if it's worth it. For total healing, in good conditions, there clearly are better options available. The same is true for alacricy and other stats, which actually improve your healing (and damage). When dancing between ground effects from a boss, on the other hand, you will curse the 1.5 seconds of cast time for your healing, just like when just getting somebody into healing range and having to watch him die a quarter of a second before your healing lands.

This being said, i still go without alacricy or first responder. I'd have to sacrifice way too much to get them high enough to be barely noticeable and even more to make them significant in any way. Proper positioning goes a long way, both in PvP and PvE, and if somebody in PvP overextends all the time then i grant him his wish to die and rather care for those who can work in a team.

Edited by Sylow

Sylow, I really couldnt agree with you more... First Responder + stacking alac is at the expense of way to much at least for PVP builds. For me every little bit that can keep me alive with Talents (Efficient Conversions/Psyche Aid) equate to far more healing than the bonuses from First Responder/Alac in terms of casting times. I am not a fan of dying or being out of the fight, so anything that can keep me in the battle > faster healing times... Just me. Good thread.

Don't stack Alacrity on gear. but DO NOT pass up 9% Alacrity for four points. There isn't anything you can use those points for that is better.

Supercharge Cells is your AoE healing, so make the best of it. Get your casts off quickly. Spread the HoT and Armor Bonus from Adv. Med. Probe to as many people as possible.

Having said that, I look for Power/Surge mods.

This will be my next evolutionary step in my hybrid heals/DPS build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRoRdcdzZMIkboZb.1

In game, I currently have a point in psyche aide, but as others have said, it's really hard to tell when to use it...so i often just forget about it. Figure I can use that point more effectively elsewhere.

Let me know what you think!