Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?

bodhisattvasw

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are scared to lose subs, worrying about people being a little baby and going afk isn't a good enough excuse not to punish quitters.

Thinking so means you want a screwed up game where people quit whenever they feel like it.

Just because a dev says it don't mean its the right call.

I'm not disputing the ethics involved, only saying from their standpoint, they will not put in punitive measures to prevent it.

And really, once people understand that, the ethics involved just don't matter. It is just what it is man.

Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeuing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.

Voidstar is also replete with leavers if the first door is planted very quickly. There are many reasons why this might happen, and sure it's possible to come back from, but it's a huge advantage to the attacking team to have door 1 and the bridges down early in the round. It is very hard to blame people for leaving because someone on the other side of the wall made an "unforced error."

I'm not saying you should fool with the mechanics of the match, just saying there is a very strong argument to be made against punishing leavers in that situation. In the past I have suggested the following as a way to deal with leavers and reward people who stay: If you are backfilled into a match and finish it, you are guaranteed to be one of the original 8 players on your team in the next match.

Let's extend this rule a bit for my Voidstar example. Perhaps if the enemy team plants the bomb within 45 seconds, players are informed that a Quick Plant was made. Now, finishing the match grants a 3-hour stacking buff (maybe 3 stacks?). Queuing for pvp consumes a stack but guarantees you a starting spot in your next match. If queues are taking too long and you want to be available for backfill, you can click off the debuff.

In short: reward staying instead of punishing leaving.

We also see a lot of leavers before a match even starts when it's clear that your team has bad gear. I don't know why you guys ever thought it would be a good idea to make recruit gear so terrible compared to war hero. The gap should be maybe slightly bigger than the WH/EWH gap, instead of like 9 times as big. It looks like this will be fixed in 2.0, though.

Can you share what ideas are kicking around for Civil War, and maybe any front runners? Decreased cap times, changing how scoring works?

Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.

Well,

The game already picks up the fact if someone disconnects vs logs off / quits (judging from the chat channel messages and DC'd sign over a group members icon). Surely this could be tied in with those settings? eg as it picks up a player had dc'd then simply don't apply any cooldown / punishment otherwise, do. coupled with timing a person quitting. say, anything that's 4 mins or over from entering that doesn't fit into the DC'd group?

So you leave when the other team is better, got it.

I bet you blame everyone else as well why you can't hack it in a warzone.

Huh? When did i exactly said i leave? I suppose your magic ball told you this, right?

I am of the opinion, in case i didn't make that clear, that as long as the game has such grave balancing issues as the current smashing, i can understand people leaving warzones, and i know of even organized quitting because of that.

If you consider the current smashing tree a non issue and totally balanced and fair gameplay, as i assume from your "the other team is just bettter", please make that point and argue for that, i am interested to listen, as i don't think so. If you think thats imbalanced but still no excuse to quit of any way, its a fair point to make.

If you have no points to make but just toss around some belittling statements, please troll elsewhere.

Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

Thanks for jumping in. I personally t hink that if you made Civil War like Norva Coast (IE, you need to hold at least 2 turrets to deal damage), it would probably make this one of THE most enjoyable warzones out there

Well,

The game already picks up the fact if someone disconnects vs logs off / quits (judging from the chat channel messages and DC'd sign over a group members icon). Surely this could be tied in with those settings? eg as it picks up a player had dc'd then simply don't apply any cooldown / punishment otherwise, do. coupled with timing a person quitting. say, anything that's 4 mins or over from entering that doesn't fit into the DC'd group?

"Bah! My team is all N00bs!!"

/pulls out internet cable and/or disables wifi

Hey Gang,

Totally missing the point again Bioware... Totally missing the point. Players getting disconnected can be protected by OH I DON'T know... lets say COMMON SENSE PROGRAMING! . All you have to do is invoke the penalty on any player that quits the warzone by using his mouse and keyboard. In other words if any window event cause them to leave... exit the area, logging out, closing the game.... If then if they disconnect they can re-queue. Of course a person can easily rip there network line out... but fine that's a pain in butt and they will have to quit playing for awhile. Back filling is a HORRID mechanism. It penalizes a player from entering a warzone on a loosing team. Often rewarding them with very little coms and helpless to turn the tide of the match. You need to stop the back fills or kill warzones much quicker when people quit. have a four person quit limit... after 4 quits that side auto forfeits the game. And invoke some sort of deterrent for quitters. People that are disconnected are in the minority vs people that are back filled into a game that is half over and can't win.

TO everyone that thinks... "I don't want to be forced to stay in a warzone that is no fun" NO ONE forced you to que. play to the end or stop queueing. RWZ without question should be protected against quitters period end of story. Just about every other pvp game devs have figured out how to do it... why can't you.

Totally missing the point again Bioware... Totally missing the point. Players getting disconnected can be protected by OH I DON'T know... lets say COMMON SENSE PROGRAMING! . All you have to do is invoke the penalty on any player that quits the warzone by using his mouse and keyboard. In other words if any window event cause them to leave... exit the area, logging out, closing the game.... If then if they disconnect they can re-queue. Of course a person can easily rip there network line out... but fine that's a pain in butt and they will have to quit playing for awhile. Back filling is a HORRID mechanism. It penalizes a player from entering a warzone on a loosing team. Often rewarding them with very little coms and helpless to turn the tide of the match. You need to stop the back fills or kill warzones much quicker when people quit. have a four person quit limit... after 4 quits that side auto forfeits the game. And invoke some sort of deterrent for quitters. People that are disconnected are in the minority vs people that are back filled into a game that is half over and can't win.

I feel the same way you do, I do think the only reason no punishment is fear of repercussion of losing MORE subs which means less money for Bioware.

That is the bottom line, but it still by no reason makes a good enough excuse not to implement it.

TO everyone that thinks... "I don't want to be forced to stay in a warzone that is no fun" NO ONE forced you to que. play to the end or stop queueing. RWZ without question should be protected against quitters period end of story. Just about every other pvp game devs have figured out how to do it... why can't you.

Too bad. EAware has spoken. Move along.

Hey Gang,

I hope you understand that you also would need to implement:

-Vote kick players that aint working to support the team

But most importantly

- Allow us to exclude or chose warzone.

Because just like Caeliux "Tells you" we need such rules, Ill assure you that a deserter debuff without those 2 options will end with a lot of lost PvP subs.

I would LOVE to get a yellow reply to those 2 issues, but in all honesty i dont have much hope.

Would YOU think it's entertaining to use your personal free time losing games due to other players not working as a team, in a warzone you dont like? If not, and you're hoping to implement a debuff - please justify why those 2 options should not also be implemented.

Edited by Twin

Vote kicking I am not at all opposed to, but a quitters debuff is a gamebreaker for me.

as for civil war don't remove the side speeders, and definitely don't make it score like NC then we would have two wz with the exact same mechanic and that would get old fast.

Perhaps make the turrets easier to cap, but only if more than one person is capping. similar to NC capping mechanic.

perhaps only at mid though to make it have a little more strategic value?

maybe a direct speeder to mid?

"Bah! My team is all N00bs!!"

/pulls out internet cable and/or disables wifi

true... but by the time that they plug it all back in and have to re log into the game...

If the "cooldown" was say, 10mins or so (for the sake of arguments lets say it took 10 mins or so to relog after a crash or router pull) then it would take the same amount of time to relog or to sit out a cooldown period making it pointless to do that.

I don't know if it does this all the time. But when I have lost connection its closed the entire client

Edited by Omisri

Huh? When did i exactly said i leave? I suppose your magic ball told you this, right?

I am of the opinion, in case i didn't make that clear, that as long as the game has such grave balancing issues as the current smashing, i can understand people leaving warzones, and i know of even organized quitting because of that.

If you consider the current smashing tree a non issue and totally balanced and fair gameplay, as i assume from your "the other team is just bettter", please make that point and argue for that, i am interested to listen, as i don't think so. If you think thats imbalanced but still no excuse to quit of any way, its a fair point to make.

If you have no points to make but just toss around some belittling statements, please troll elsewhere.

Right, you are condoning the behavior this thread is trying to address because you think the game's not fair. We all read it, we all got it. Thanks for your contribution.

It can't be addressed, when will you finally understand this lol?

It can and it should be addresed,

Dev said something about Civil War and blames people leaving over the map, what they fail to realize is people leave over self absorbed opinions and do it in a unsportsmanlike way.

Every map has quitters, not understanding quitters are going to quit for whatever reason is not paying attention and has no idea how bad it is.

Bioware wants civil interaction with the core subs they have, and they don't want to piss of anyone in the process of making tons of money.

Saying that they are completely ignoring the real concept of the game, and that is people quitting and wasting other peoples time in the process.

I find it to be game breaking when quitters dictate games and each game can't be won unless your team has a fighting spirit about it.

Backfill or not its a tough situation dealing with people quitting.

I even play in premades and people still quit in winnable games, dead serious.

I like to think some point they will bite the bullet and put a system in where quitters are punished in some form of fashion, will it be what I want no and I accept that.

Something needs implemented and it can't be ignored.

Right, you are condoning the behavior this thread is trying to address because you think the game's not fair.

That is 90% of this thread, a slight 3% is me and the others that don't condone a quitter excuse.

The other 7% really don't care to comment and do as they please either way.

Amazing isn't it.

Edited by Caeliux

Caeliux, i'm kinda on your side on this issue, sometimes, especially during the days before the weekly reset, it's almost impossible to pug because either you get backfilled into a lost warzone, or half the team leaves within the first couple of minutes making the warzone suck for those who chose to not quit as well as those who backfill.

However, in my humble opinion, most pepole leave warzones not because they are *****, but because of unbalanced games, and you are completely ignoring the most obvious solution to the problem, that is having less unbalanced games so people have less reason to leave. In the current state of warzones, i honestly believe implementing a quitter penalty makes no sense without tackling the quality of matchmaking at the same time.

If this is improved to a point where let's say 75% of the games are somewhat competitive, then implementing a quitter debuff could be effective, but right now it would just piss people off and make them play a different game, and that is absolutely not in our best interest.

TL/DR improve matchmaking, THEN implement a quitter debuff

TL/DR improve matchmaking, THEN implement a quitter debuff

I don't disagree at all with this man, and I think cross servers should be added.

If Bioware really wanted to they could merge in more servers, add cross servers, then add punishment to those that quit.

Games would not feel the effect and the queue times would'nt be affected, only thing that would get affected are people's feelings over not controlling a game by quitting lol.

It really is that simple, problem is Bioware is so scared too lose more people, therefore why the trigger isn't geting pulled with rules and instead want to blame the way the maps on the warzones are.

Fact is that way of thinking isn't rational when thinking about controlling your game, the game needs some issues addressed by after all its not as bad as most make it out to be.

Sure classes need balance, sure people cry about premades, but this is a mmo and this mmo needs to be treated like one instead catering to these unhappy people which are always unhappy about something.

I hope Bioware steps it up with some rules instead of trying to change the way the game is first, I have a feeling that won't be the case if ever.

Edited by Caeliux

People leave war zones because they feel like they have no chance of winning. Implement individual rating system and match equally skilled players against each other and these things will work themselves out.

I mean bolster is something being provided and even more soon, and if we are talking about endgame level 50 and soon to be 55 then yea a match making system would be amazing and should be something thought about.

Nobody likes geting steamed rolled by a well oiled machine, I actually like facing the best to see where my guilds stands vs it as a test but some guilds have too much pride for that. :D

Cross servers would help that in my opinion and would help faster queues where rated play would happen alot faster.

I mean tons of good ideas could be addressed and added, hell even a Arena style would attract and steer this game into a great place for PVP, I mean tons of people would play it and like that style.

My 2 pennies.

Edited by Caeliux