Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

So is this a warning not to discuss when and whether or not Same Gender Romance Arcs will be implemented?

Yes!

And back to the topic.

I actually don't believe 1.4 is the big story patch, where we'll see SGR and I'm ok with that. (shhh I didn't say this <----- )

All I care about is, that they do it right (add to existing companions - even max lvl) and that Mako is one of them :)

I wish it would be as simple as an extra companion quest, which will open up for all the romance questions. (ok, they might be coming as fast as a speeding bullet, but still lol)

Oh and hi from a long time lurker :p

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this a warning not to discuss when and whether or not Same Gender Romance Arcs will be implemented?
I think "when" is fine, but "whether or not" isn't. Lots of the people who cause trouble in the thread are ones who say SGRs will never be implemented. But we've been discussing "when" since the first thread. :D

I actually don't believe 1.4 is the big story patch, where we'll see SGR and I'm ok with that. (shhh I didn't say this <----- )

All I care about is, that they do it right (add to existing companions - even max lvl) and that Mako is one of them :)

I wish it would be as simple as an extra companion quest, which will open up for all the romance questions. (ok, they might be coming as fast as a speeding bullet, but still lol)

Oh and hi from a long time lurker :p

Welcome to the thread. :)

There was supposedly some news a while back saying that 1.4 was going to have a lot to do with companions, but it was quickly pulled from news sites; I never saw it myself but other thread regulars said they did. Either way, we'll probably find out soon. I'm guessing 1.3 will come out in late June or early July, which usually means we'll start hearing about the next patch not too long after that.

And yeah, I'm also hoping it'll just be some sudden new companion quests for SGR-ready companions. Also: totally with you on Mako. :p

I think "when" is fine, but "whether or not" isn't. Lots of the people who cause trouble in the thread are ones who say SGRs will never be implemented. But we've been discussing "when" since the first thread. :D

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, it seems silly to pay a monthly subscription for a game and then complain it doesn't have the features you want. I knew when I bought it that same sex romance wasn't on the disc. I'd argue that BioWare's statements about adding them after launch were somewhat misleading, but that's more a case of caveat emptor than anything else I guess.

I'm going to go find find somebody who actually wants my entertainment dollars. I honestly wish you all luck.

Greetings everyone!

We are just posting a gentle reminder to please keep this on topic to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ versus other games, although we do understand the use of them in analogies. Additionally, please remember the topic of the thread is in regards to how Same Gender Romance Arcs will be implemented into the game versus discussion of if it should be or not.

Actually... I have a feeling the main gist of that post may have been to stop all the Mass Effect discussion. Not all of us are Mass Effect players, after all.

Way I see it, all but a handful of the companions would not be able to pull off a same gender relation.

Vette for example, although I'd love to see, seems to be the type who'll never taste the sweet sugar lips of another vixen - whereas Elara Dorne could easily pull off being a Dyke.

I'm looking forward to the same gender relations, not to mention all the content coming for companions... after completely finishing my trooper... it became kinda boring.

Way I see it, all but a handful of the companions would not be able to pull off a same gender relation.

Vette for example, although I'd love to see, seems to be the type who'll never taste the sweet sugar lips of another vixen - whereas Elara Dorne could easily pull off being a Dyke.

I'm looking forward to the same gender relations, not to mention all the content coming for companions... after completely finishing my trooper... it became kinda boring.

I still see Vette as a possible "I never considered being with a woman until you" type. You know the relatively new saying: "Love doesn't care about gender". I think it could easily be worked in with Vette and some others.

SGR's sound cool, but i hope the men have a few more options when it is released.

I personaly can't think of many male companions who could pull off a SGR, nor do i know many i would want my character to be in a relationship with.

You are misinformed. Bioware's writers (including Patrick Weekes and Chris L'Etoile) have stated that Kaidan and Ashley were never "meant" to be bisexual, they merely considered it (and then decided against it because they believed the lines didn't match the character, as well as some cutscene/etc issues).

The voice lines you hear from the "hack" are simply male Shepard saying female Shepard's lines and vice versa. Before Bioware's current VA recording system, they did things more manually and thought it better to give both voice actors all lines instead of painstakingly singling out gender specific ones.

How am I misinformed? I stated that both options were edited out before ME1 was published, yet viable stuff was still left in. The build-up for the romance scene before going to Ilos has male Shep and Kaidan kissing. The animation is there, so they more than considered it, and there's other cutscenes left in as well supporting that idea... See Shep and Kaidan after losing command over the Normandy, post-romance cut scene among others. I heard they edited things out since they weren't sure how the Sci-fi Community would react to a gay Shep, gamers being mostly male and all. Kaidan IS bisexual in ME3, so that one was verified in the end.

*edit* Just read the disclaimer. Gonna stick to discussing SWTOR from now on, but my point was that BW is a company who have learned over time that a majority of their gamers can deal with SGR content, some even preferring it.

Edited by Lent_San

Alright, just to get back slightly on topic... I was thinking. They HAVE made hints torwards making already existing companions available for SGR, right? Well, let's say that this is however NOT restricted to available romance options - which ones would you all want added? Just out of curiosity ^^

Personally I want Zenith, Rusk/lord Scourge and Gault. Hell, the latter I don't even care if it's available for both genders, I just want a romance with this guy XD

Mix of both on and off-topic here, I think Same Sex Romances would be a lot more appreciated if they were exclusive, make SOME of both the original and new characters bisexual, where applicable and have straight ones, simply because it will make the genders much more important for classes, if you have ones that only gay and lesbian PCs can pursue, it makes everything that much more deeper.

I also think a great thing for companions would be to reintroduce killing them off, I mean imagine this(Massive Sith Warrior spoilers in case you are wondering what this):

I have a lesbian romance between my Fem Warrior and DS Jaesa, they are strongly connected in every way, but even better, I could get Jaesa to kill off Quinn when he betrays you or even Vette.

My other dream is to have a Dark Side lesbian romance with Kira Carsen, where I can get her to kill off Scourge or Doc, etc..

Apply this^ level of importance with your companions and their interactions in every class and you'd be set for a far deeper and much more important experience.

Mix of both on and off-topic here, I think Same Sex Romances would be a lot more appreciated if they were exclusive, make SOME of both the original and new characters bisexual, where applicable and have straight ones, simply because it will make the genders much more important for classes, if you have ones that only gay and lesbian PCs can pursue, it makes everything that much more deeper.

I also think a great thing for companions would be to reintroduce killing them off, I mean imagine this(Massive Sith Warrior spoilers in case you are wondering what this):

I have a lesbian romance between my Fem Warrior and DS Jaesa, they are strongly connected in every way, but even better, I could get Jaesa to kill off Quinn when he betrays you or even Vette.

My other dream is to have a Dark Side lesbian romance with Kira Carsen, where I can get her to kill off Scourge or Doc, etc..

Apply this^ level of importance with your companions and their interactions in every class and you'd be set for a far deeper and much more important experience.

To quote the great and wise Jayne... "I'll be in my bunk." :D

Alright, just to get back slightly on topic... I was thinking. They HAVE made hints torwards making already existing companions available for SGR, right? Well, let's say that this is however NOT restricted to available romance options - which ones would you all want added? Just out of curiosity ^^

Personally I want Zenith, Rusk/lord Scourge and Gault. Hell, the latter I don't even care if it's available for both genders, I just want a romance with this guy XD

The one I'm most hoping for is Vector. I'd also like to see Quinn and Corso as SGRs. Can't say more because I've yet to play the other classes. (And I can't even play for a while, sucks to be a poor student :b)

I'd also like if I didn't have to start a new character to get the romance, but if it comes to that, I'm more than happy to roll my agent again, I really liked the character and the story. And dat voice. ;)

Edited by Zid-man

She might kill Doc without having to go Dark Side XD

My Light Side JK found him quite obnoxious at first. I stopped playing her in Act 2 though and rerolled her for the possibility of doin a Kira romance at some point.

I don't get the concept of 'gender exclusive characters' = 'deeper' romance.

Ideally, I'd want as many open to both genders as possible....unless the romance is so gendered one way or the other that it would be tough to do so.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I don't get the concept of 'gender exclusive characters' = 'deeper' romance.

Ideally, I'd want as many open to both genders as possible....unless the romance is so gendered one way or the other that it would be tough to do so.

I mean that it puts much more emphasis on the PC's gender and the companion's and gives us legit homosexual characters instead of just PC-sexual.

There is not nearly enough 'definition' for the differences between characters and in my opinion, having characters with set personalities and set sexual preferences gives those characters a deeper and more realistic feel and at the same time gives us as LGBT players a definite feel of 'yes we do exist in this game' instead of just the shared pallet where every time we argue for the existence of such characters we just get slammed in the face by 'Player-sexual character not homosexual, get your gay **** out of my *Insert product here*.'

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I mean that it puts much more emphasis on the PC's gender and the companion's and gives us legit homosexual characters instead of just PC-sexual.

I agree, but for different reasons. PCsexual is all very well, but when you come down to it, it's not true representation. I don't think extra emphasis on the gender of those involved is needed, just characters who are clearly not straight - instead of the ambiguous between state you get when NPCs are PCsexual.

However, having said that, I totally understand why Bioware did things that way (with DA2, because in other products, the bisexual characters (Liara, Leliana, Zevran) have been (mostly, Kaiden is an exception) clearly so (I am discounting earlier games, because it's early in the morning and my memory is terrible - so sorry for not mentioning the likes of Sky and Silk Fox)). (Does that make sense? I don't know, I haven't had coffee yet.)

There is not nearly enough 'definition' for the differences between characters and in my opinion, having characters with set personalities and set sexual preferences gives those characters a deeper and more realistic feel and at the same time gives us as LGBT players a definite feel of 'yes we do exist in this game' instead of just the shared pallet where every time we argue for the existence of such characters we just get slammed in the face by 'Player-sexual character not homosexual, get your gay **** out of my *Insert product here*.'

There is more they could do to make it feel that LGBT characters exist in the realm of Star Wars. There should be non-romantic option NPCs who are clearly not straight too. It's a big universe, someone's bound to be of a non-straight orientation. I know there are a few males you can come across who have very... campish (? hopefully that's not offensive) voices - but that means nothing (and oddly enough, mostly confined to the Imperial side - though that could just be a perception because I'm more familiar with the Imperial side).

Anyway, PCsexual works both ways. We should just laugh that off and say, "well, the PCsexual NPC in question isn't heterosexual either!".

Good to see this topic still alive! keep fighting for it guys! this is the reason we can work together in the hopes a civil rally for the devs to get this added happens at some point. I sometimes feel I might go negative about the devs and have in a few threads today. but i still hope they get us things we talked about in beta forums.

Keep fighting for diveristy in your MMO peoples! stay cool to each other for our games sake!

I still see Vette as a possible "I never considered being with a woman until you" type. You know the relatively new saying: "Love doesn't care about gender". I think it could easily be worked in with Vette and some others.

I think Vette would be a great match for a nice lady Warrior, even more than LS Jaesa, because the latter has the Master/Aprentice thing and that could weird things out a bit, for me at least.

But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.

I think Vette would be a great match for a nice lady Warrior, even more than LS Jaesa, because the latter has the Master/Aprentice thing and that could weird things out a bit, for me at least.

But, whatever current companion gets to be available for SGRs, I would prefer no "come outs" of any kind, no explanations or anything. It just happens. Period.

I prefer this. Like Silk Fox in JE said, "I've never felt this way about any man or woman". Choosing instead to make a distinction only makes it seem like there is something wrong or abnormal with those feelings.

I prefer this. Like Silk Fox in JE said, "I've never felt this way about any man or woman". Choosing instead to make a distinction only makes it seem like there is something wrong or abnormal with those feelings.

Silk Fox <3

Now I feel the need to play Jade Empire again. :)

Agreed. In the romances I've done so far, there's pretty much just been a mutual confirmation of attraction - or, in Akaavi's case, her straight-up asking how you see her. Having it work like that for SGRs would confirm that same-sex attraction is seen as completely normal in the SW universe, something common enough that people don't see any need to treat it differently. It really seems like that would be the best way to handle it.

So Master/Slave is not as weird as Master/Apprentice? At no point does the SW actually free Vette... just takes her shock collar off.

(Unless it happens later on in the SW story, of course... My SW is just in the last stages of Alderaan/Chapter 1.)

I'm not bothered by either situation, by the way. In my headcannon, my SW freed Vette from slavery when she removed the collar. She hasn't met Jaesa yet, still tracking her down.

I would like to see variety. Not everyone's the same, not everyone reacts to their own sexuality the same way, not every culture treats sexuality the same way even within the Empire/Republic. So variety is good.

Edited by Zandilar

To an extent I disagree.

Saying "I've never felt this way about a woman." since quite possibly Vette(or another female in question) may have felt that way about a man is entirely reasonable. But as it's been pointed out, I'd like to see some variety, I think it's pretty obvious that DS Jaesa really doesn't care to much who or what she gets nookie from, and the same is probably true for other characters as well.

Just as Theran flirts with fem-consular in your first conversation with him, some people see it and know they want it. Some folks may need to warm up to the idea, even Malavi needs to be slow-cooked to even show some feelings for the fem-warrior. He's quite possibly a character who's never thought about his sexuality, or sexuality of any sort at all!

But, again, it is that diversity among how companions approach the player about romance that makes it fun to play through all the different stories. I still feel that the simplest and most player-empowering option would be to select an orientation at character creation. "heterosexual", "homosexual", "neutral/bisexual" "none", which would effectively toggle which romances are active for you in the game.

But, again, it is that diversity among how companions approach the player about romance that makes it fun to play through all the different stories. I still feel that the simplest and most player-empowering option would be to select an orientation at character creation. "heterosexual", "homosexual", "neutral/bisexual" "none", which would effectively toggle which romances are active for you in the game.

People have brought up that idea in these threads before, and I've never liked it. Part of the appeal of playing characters in this game is that we get to make choices, instead of just blindly following quests like in other MMOs. Those choices may not have game-changing results, but they define our characters. I don't like the idea of making such a limiting choice before I even start playing a character.

For example: when I started my Smuggler, if I'd had to make a choice about his sexuality, I would have made him heterosexual. The dashing rogue who can charm any woman he meets is such an archetype for the character, so I would have gone with that. But here's the thing: after meeting Corso, and having him as a companion for a while, I think he's an interesting dude and that he and my Smuggler get on well, so I think it'd be cool to pursue a relationship with him. (This is, of course, assuming SGRs are in the game.) But no, I can't, because of an option I chose before I even started playing.

I don't like the idea of character-limiting options like that. The game gives us options for a reason, we should be free to choose what we want. Especially when it comes to developing our characters.

Also, and this is something of a side note, as it's been a while since anyone brought it up: in the past, the idea of putting a "toggle" on same-sex relationships appearing in the game has caused pages and pages of arguments. BioWare's official position is that such a thing would be discriminatory. A lot of people who said they wanted a toggle basically wanted to make it so they didn't see any hint of homosexuality in their game. I am not in any way saying that's what you've said. I did not get that impression from your post at all, quite the opposite. But you used the word, so I wanted to make sure you understand that it's not a concept people like in this thread. :)

I've never heard that "no gays b/c they are player-sexual' argument brought up, tbh.

I prefer the "player-sexual" thing from a strictly game-play standpoint. I like having the ability to romance the character I like the most or is the best fit with my PC vs. the one the devs arbitrarily choose to be 'the gay' or 'the bisexual' one. I guess it depends on how you approach these romances. I will only pursue romances if I like them and won't do the romance that's available to me just because it's there. Some people may be different and will do whatever romance is available just to do it.

On that note, I'm all for representation of LGBT characters but prefer it done with non-LI characters. For starters, interaction with these type of characters typically can't be avoided. With an LI on the other-hand, those that choose not to pursue that romance probably won't even know that the character is gay/bisexual/etc. By doing it with an LI character, it seems as if the LGBT content is being cornered off into an optional part of the game that most won't have to 'deal with'.

I've never heard that "no gays b/c they are player-sexual' argument brought up, tbh.

I prefer the "player-sexual" thing from a strictly game-play standpoint. I like having the ability to romance the character I like the most or is the best fit with my PC vs. the one the devs arbitrarily choose to be 'the gay' or 'the bisexual' one. I guess it depends on how you approach these romances. I will only pursue romances if I like them and won't do the romance that's available to me just because it's there. Some people may be different and will do whatever romance is available just to do it.

On that note, I'm all for representation of LGBT characters but prefer it done with non-LI characters. For starters, interaction with these type of characters typically can't be avoided. With an LI on the other-hand, those that choose not to pursue that romance probably won't even know that the character is gay/bisexual/etc. By doing it with an LI character, it seems as if the LGBT content is being cornered off into an optional part of the game that most won't have to 'deal with'.

Ok, I have to ask... What exactly is "player-sexual"? I've never heard that term before. o0