(PvP) 46+4 No DoT Build

Cempa

I don't understand the point.

So, you're asking if skipping Lightning Barrage would make spamming Force Lightning more viable... nope, sorry. I assume you'll spend Wrath procs on Crushing Darkness anyway (oh noes, a very short DOT), because it is so very cost effective and does more than Lightning Strike.

Overall, I guess you're cutting Affliction for some more pvp utility talents?

How about:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfc0rzMrZcrcRsrz.1

If you must cut Affliction, this seems like the best way. You get basically every PVP talent in Madness and Lightning.

I've been considering a no dot build too, but really you lose a lot to gain some bigger numbers less frequently...

Having the best of both is superior imo...

For example, you are standing toe to toe (or 30y to 30y) with a BH/Trooper, will your front loaded damage be better? or the ability to unload some frontloaded dps, drop some dots then LOS the sumbeatch popping out occasionally to stun then load him up with dots again...

Its all situational... but I would rather be able to control a fight by chosing the kind of DPS I want to do, rather than restrict myself to high numbers all based around critting 5k for a medal.

Just my 2 pence..

ps, I will try a dotless spec at some point I think. Along with a tri-brid spec!! Got to try em all imo =D

Main issue is, you're not GAINING anything on your non-DOT abilities. It's mostly trading DOT-buffing skills for some pvp tricks like a blind and an immoblize. If you never do Operations, or if your gear is just that damn good, then it could almost be justifiable.

Actually I would use Wrath procs for Chain Lightning.

4 points unused one could choose to double dip on Force Lightning by taking Lightning Barrage or increase damage/crit by 3% or more survivability talents.

This is just a pure PvP build, nothing else.

Main issue is, you're not GAINING anything on your non-DOT abilities. It's mostly trading DOT-buffing skills for some pvp tricks like a blind and an immoblize. If you never do Operations, or if your gear is just that damn good, then it could almost be justifiable.

I found that blind+immobilize to be near mandatory playing against melee with near 600 Expertise they hurt bad and quick especially when they use adrenals, red ball, expertise stim and CD's. When a Marauder/Juggernaut are in my face blind+Immobilize has save my life countless times. Add to that Force Speed+Instant WW and I can live another day lol

I don't understand the point.

So, you're asking if skipping Lightning Barrage would make spamming Force Lightning more viable... nope, sorry. I assume you'll spend Wrath procs on Crushing Darkness anyway (oh noes, a very short DOT), because it is so very cost effective and does more than Lightning Strike.

Overall, I guess you're cutting Affliction for some more pvp utility talents?

How about:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfc0rzMrZcrcRsrz.1

If you must cut Affliction, this seems like the best way. You get basically every PVP talent in Madness and Lightning.

I was thinking about this build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfc0rzMrZcMcRsMz.1

Would a no DoT build be something more than just viable?

Any input on this build?

very similar to the build i run. I too have found backlash and elec. bindings to be kind of mandatory against any competent and geared melee dps.

If i can suggest 1 thing, take the points off induction, they're just not needed with sith efficacy and especially effusion, and grab barrage, the effect on FL is bad*ss. I agree on skipping lightning spire, in this build only CL benefits from it and since it's gonna be insta cast, no big deal walking 5 more meters in and then get out.

Don't underestimate dots tho, even if you're going for the CL bursts, they can put quite some pressure when you have both of them rolling and FL on top of them, and, well, since you have dots, no reason not to use them. I myself grab death mark too, DF makes for some nice damage even without creeping death and there's no reason no to use it, so better make the most out of it. Basically, since you have dots anyway, no reason not to make them roll on a target you're about to burst.

Actually I would use Wrath procs for Chain Lightning.

4 points unused one could choose to double dip on Force Lightning by taking Lightning Barrage or increase damage/crit by 3% or more survivability talents.

This is just a pure PvP build, nothing else.

You're not gaining anything, Wrath + CL is how all Sorcs spec right now because it's the only viable dps build for PVP or PVE. And we still use Affliction and Crushing Darkness. Like I said, you're cutting things that boost DOTs for non-damage skills. You are NOT gaining a single damage-related thing that a Sorc would not already have.

I found that blind+immobilize to be near mandatory playing against melee with near 600 Expertise they hurt bad and quick especially when they use adrenals, red ball, expertise stim and CD's. When a Marauder/Juggernaut are in my face blind+Immobilize has save my life countless times. Add to that Force Speed+Instant WW and I can live another day lol

You asked about viability, I'm telling you what you're losing and what you're gaining. I'm not saying you aren't gaining those as options, but to pretend you aren't losing damage is to just be ignorant.

I was thinking about this build.

Since I PVP a lot myself right now, I too am considering some variant of it. Basically exchange Affliction for Chain Shock...

Something like this may be slightly more appropriate:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfc0rzMrZcrcRsMzb.1

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsMrdMbZcrcRsMk.1

Electric Induction isn't worth getting with Sith Efficacy. It doesn't effect Static Barrier, which at 65 Force is pretty heavy and will likely be used at every opportunity it's available.

Against Trooper and Snipers, in terms of burst we will lose, which is where DoTs come in.

Insta WW > Affliction > DF > FL > CD (Wrath)

Aggressive use of WW, not ideal but just an example. WW won't break instantly after Affliction is applied, but will break When DF is used. With an added 2 sec stun, you can get off a FL, and if your lucky and get a Wrath procc early, get up CD. In this time before hes even had a chance to look up you have already set up, which at this point either procced to kill, or use LoS.

WW advice, but if it breaks early with no damage, on the target and no other player around, use Electrocute, because chances are the player wasted his trinket.

Suppression is amazing, having a Trooper not being able to cast tracer Missile or have another Sorc use FL for 6 Secs is huge. And WW on a 45 secs CD instead of 1min is really nice.

Haven't tested BACKLASH, not sure if it blinds when its broken early or only when the buff wares off. if somebody could confirm would be greatly appreciated.

1 point left which can go wherever ;

I wouldn't recommend Sith Defiance, 1% isn't going to save you from Operative burst. If you feel you need the extra 1% crit, or .25 secs off Dark Infusion.

Personally I have it in Lingering Nightmares for an extra tick off CD.

You're not gaining anything, Wrath + CL is how all Sorcs spec right now because it's the only viable dps build for PVP or PVE. And we still use Affliction and Crushing Darkness. Like I said, you're cutting things that boost DOTs for non-damage skills. You are NOT gaining a single damage-related thing that a Sorc would not already have.

You asked about viability, I'm telling you what you're losing and what you're gaining. I'm not saying you aren't gaining those as options, but to pretend you aren't losing damage is to just be ignorant.

Since I PVP a lot myself right now, I too am considering some variant of it. Basically exchange Affliction for Chain Shock...

Something like this may be slightly more appropriate:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfc0rzMrZcrcRsMzb.1

I like it, moved 2 points from Corrupted Flesh into Lingering Nightmare -Crushing Darkness hits hard as it is.

I wounder though:

Lingering Nightmare Vs Deathmark ..or split the points?

Edited by Cempa

I would consider the 13/12/16 (or whatever variation of it you run) a no DoT build. You still use Crushing Darkness, but you're avoiding the useless skill of Affliction and just going straight into Chain Lightning -> Wrath Procs for all your damage. If you're saying you don't even want to use Crushing Darkness with your wrath procs, then you're just being bad, that's a lot more single target damage than Chain Lightning ever would be. I would argue even if you did go further into the Lightning tree for Lightning Barrage your DPS would be on par if not a little lower considering you wouldn't benefit from the 10% bonus AoE damage in the Healing tree, which makes the tri spec pretty OP for damage. People in my guild have hit nearly 600k with it.

I would consider the 13/12/16 (or whatever variation of it you run) a no DoT build. You still use Crushing Darkness, but you're avoiding the useless skill of Affliction and just going straight into Chain Lightning -> Wrath Procs for all your damage. If you're saying you don't even want to use Crushing Darkness with your wrath procs, then you're just being bad, that's a lot more single target damage than Chain Lightning ever would be. I would argue even if you did go further into the Lightning tree for Lightning Barrage your DPS would be on par if not a little lower considering you wouldn't benefit from the 10% bonus AoE damage in the Healing tree, which makes the tri spec pretty OP for damage. People in my guild have hit nearly 600k with it.

A true glass AE cannon which I have seen doing well in WZ with 10-12 medals constant and pretty much always above 300k which is nice but I rather have ways to survive a Sentinel!

Since I pretty much insist on having Backlash (blind)+Electric Binding (5 sec root)+Haunted Dreams (instant WW+2 sec stun on dmg break) I found my self in a strange place as I can not buff my DoT's as to be a DoT build or have any kind of burst to be DD/burst build.

So I looked at how I can do damage and that is Force Lightning / Shock / Death Field / Wrath+CL and Wrath+CD that's it. Since that is pretty much all I can do as a hybrid I decided to put everything else into PvP survivability!

I use my DoT's but they are situational -as in objective focused or Wrath is up and CL is on CD.

Edit: The only extra bit of damage that would fit would be Lightning Barrage which would mean moving 4 points out of PvP fluff.

Edited by Cempa

A true glass AE cannon which I have seen doing well in WZ with 10-12 medals constant and pretty much always above 300k which is nice but I rather have ways to survive a Sentinel!

Since I pretty much insist on having Backlash (blind)+Electric Binding (5 sec root)+Haunted Dreams (instant WW+2 sec stun on dmg break) I found my self in a strange place as I can not buff my DoT's as to be a DoT build or have any kind of burst to be DD/burst build.

This build still gives you a way to survive a sentinel with the decent amount of healing you have from the Corruption tree, it also opens up a lot more group utility in the fact that you can heal your teamates more effectively. Resurgence -> Double Dark Infusions proc glitch for 1.4s casts. You can even pick up an additional 8% healing on yourself, at the expense of a few things, for even more survival. Also with the extra point in the Lightning tree I do pick up a 50% chance to proc Electric Binding, the root on Overload. I honestly don't feel 100% is necessary because the only reason I'd need to use it to survive would be against multiple enemies, say a 2v1, I'm pretty much guaranteed one snare. You can then follow this up by casting WW on the guy who wasn't snared, he has to run back in anyways, and then burst down the guy who was previously snared that's still bound by Overload. Considering I mainly heal, and am focused a lot as a result, I'd usually end up binding 3 out of the 5 or so people who zerged me when I tried this spec because they thought I was healing still.

Edited by Abraxxes