Installing takes TOO long.

Leggomy

I bought the CE of SWTOR and the media is corrupt that I bought so I figure I'll just download the client. Its been hours and almost 20 gigs later still isnt even 50% done yet. This is crazy why should I have to download the equivalent of 5+ regular dvds just to play this game? Just insane luckily I reinstalled on a weekend or Id be days trying to do this. Something needs to be done to reduce the size of this thing. To me its just sloppy programming. There is no need for a game with graphics like this to take forever to download. Ill be here till tomorrow just trying to get this thing back installed.

I bought the CE of SWTOR and the media is corrupt that I bought so I figure I'll just download the client. Its been hours and almost 20 gigs later still isnt even 50% done yet. This is crazy why should I have to download the equivalent of 5+ regular dvds just to play this game? Just insane luckily I reinstalled on a weekend or Id be days trying to do this. Something needs to be done to reduce the size of this thing. To me its just sloppy programming. There is no need for a game with graphics like this to take forever to download. Ill be here till tomorrow just trying to get this thing back installed.

Get a better ISP. It's not BioWare's fault you have poor download speeds.

Also, even if you are not using Internet Explorer as your default browser, you should still go to your Control panel, open up Internet Settings, select LAN Settings, then uncheck the box next to Automatically Detect Settings. It will speed up your download some.

Get a better ISP. It's not BioWare's fault you have poor download speeds.

Also, even if you are not using Internet Explorer as your default browser, you should still go to your Control panel, open up Internet Settings, select LAN Settings, then uncheck the box next to Automatically Detect Settings. It will speed up your download some.

What are you talking about? I have the fastest speed comcast gets. It is downloading at almost 10mb per second. The problem is how long it takes to unpack and install once downloaded. So please dont jump to conclusions nowhere did I say anything about the download speed being slow. Its just way too much data. They need to tighten up the software. I remember when you had to fit your program on a couple floppy disks. You couldnt be so sloppy then. There is no reason for this game to be so huge other than laziness.

What are you talking about? I have the fastest speed comcast gets. It is downloading at almost 10mb per second. The problem is how long it takes to unpack and install once downloaded. So please dont jump to conclusions nowhere did I say anything about the download speed being slow. Its just way too much data. They need to tighten up the software. I remember when you had to fit your program on a couple floppy disks. You couldnt be so sloppy then. There is no reason for this game to be so huge other than laziness.

I have comcast and I had it downloaded and installed in less then 30mins.

Uh, what? You were complaining about too much data, which leads one to believe you are complaining about the time it takes to download. You also specifically mentioned the download size in your OP. It doesn't take long to install the game, unless you are taking a long time to download the patches. Also, 10Meg down isn't quite the fastest Comcast offers.

Edited by Kaphik

dxdiag. What sort of hard drive(s) do you have? SSD? SATA1/2? RPMs? 10k? 7200? 5400? What else is going on on your computer while it's installing? Playing another game while you wait? Downloading D3 beta?

Could be lots of other things besides you download speed as well. Mine doesn't take very long to install after I get the stuff. I have a 10k Raptor that I run my games on. Friend just recently built a new rig with an SSD and now he's crushing me on load screens and "I'm" the slow kid on the block. Ah well. :o

All of you are missing the point. The point is this thing is WAY WAY WAY too big. You really think people are going to go out drop $5000 on a ssd drives and top end systems just to play this game? Not everyone has super high speed internet like I do. Also everyone glosses over my $150 purchase of a set of dvds that do not work. Forced to download huge 50 gigs almost by the time its done. Comcast wont let you download over 250 gigs in a month thank god I dont have to do this on more than one machine.

So ya if I had SSD drives ($1000 to play swtor lol have to laugh at that suggestion) maybe ti would go slightly faster. Does not change the fact this thing doesnt need to be so gigantic. There is no need to spend hours and hours trying to download and install this thing.

*edit also to the guy who said he downloaded and installed the game in 30 mins. Sorry calling BS on that one. I dont care what kind of system you have thats simply bologna. Period.

Edited by Leggomy

You really think people are going to go out drop $5000 on a ssd drives and top end systems just to play this game?

Well... I did drop quite a bit of money to upgrade my PC for this game. Now I spent $150 on a SSD that is more than big enough for this game and the OS. Not 5000 and not 1000.

Edited by monkgryphon

Now I spent $150 on a SSD that is more than big enough for this game and the OS. Not 5000 and not 1000.

This.

Not sure what SSD your talking about, 750 GB SSD is only $207 at most places. In fact thats one of the most expensive I have seen.

Nowhere near 5000 and 1000.

*edit also to the guy who said he downloaded and installed the game in 30 mins. Sorry calling BS on that one. I dont care what kind of system you have thats simply bologna. Period.

Do you want me to delete my installation and then redownload and install, and then Fraps the entire thing for you? Because I have a 70 Meg download speed and it will take me much less than 30 minutes to do mine. I installed the Diablo 3 beta this weekend in about 10 minutes, and my computer is a couple of years old.

You also contradict yourself. You are apparently having a hard time downloading the game.

This.

Not sure what SSD your talking about, 750 GB SSD is only $207 at most places. In fact thats one of the most expensive I have seen.

Nowhere near 5000 and 1000.

I think you must be stoned honestly. The good SSd drives are $1000 plus. Look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008118%204023&IsNodeId=1&name=%241000%20-%20%241250

All those are $1000 +. Ya you can buy some cheap slow SSD for $200 maybe a 60 gig junk one. It wont speed anything up tho.

You can call it all you want but it still dosent change the fact that it happened. Every game I download dosent take me longer then 30 minutes ti install. Gotta be your system. Also if the disk's didn't work then you should have sent them back for ones the did.

I bought the CE of SWTOR and the media is corrupt that I bought so I figure I'll just download the client..

"download the client"

Its been hours and almost 20 gigs later still isnt even 50% done yet..

Here you talk about slow download speed, taking hours to only DL half.

This is crazy why should I have to download the equivalent of 5+ regular dvds just to play this game?

Right here, you question the size of the download again.

You can call it all you want but it still dosent change the fact that it happened. Every game I download dosent take me longer then 30 minutes ti install. Gotta be your system. Also if the disk's didn't work then you should have sent them back for ones the did.

Sorry but you are lying period. Maybe you could download 50 gigs in a half hour. You didnt install it too.

"download the client"

Here you talk about slow download speed, taking hours to only DL half.

Right here, you question the size of the download again.

I guess you skipped the part where I said the downloading part goes at 10mb per second. I understand you cannto be bothered to read the whole post and just snipe things out of context.

I guess you skipped the part where I said the downloading part goes at 10mb per second. I understand you cannto be bothered to read the whole post and just snipe things out of context.

You mean in your second post in the thread where you try to correct yourself after I questioned your ISP's download speed? Everything I quoted was from your very first post in the thread. There is nothing at all "taken out of context" those are your exact words.

In case you missed, I'm reposting it.

I didnt miss it. You said there were no SSD drives that cost $1000. I told you that for a decent one you have to spend at least $1000 and proved my point. You keep linking those cheap slow undependable small SSD drives. Those will not improve performance AT ALL. You are obviously clueless when it comes to hardware.