Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Migration due to heavy server load

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Migration due to heavy server load

DJOllieVee
12.15.2011 , 04:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Caan View Post
French speaking Euros: 70million people 10 servers
German speaking Euros: 90million people 15 servers
English speaking Euros: 500million people 20 servers
Total servers: 45

North Americans: 400 million people 65 servers

I think I can do some easy calculations here.

Also Europe have more PC gamers in general then the US which is more console oriented.
Good point.
Recruitment Officer for the Tatooine People's Front NOT the People's Front of Tatooine
SPLITTERS!
RIP . Gone but not forgotten.

Kopout
12.15.2011 , 05:00 PM | #12
I just think it's pretty poor that the guild assigned servers have not been given space priority at this point and the fact that we've been assigned to a server that could potentially be screwed for a long time.

Maybe i'm wrong and Bloodworthy is all guild members but if it's full now at pre-launch then whats it gonna be like at launch!

bodde
12.15.2011 , 05:05 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kopout View Post
I just think it's pretty poor that the guild assigned servers have not been given space priority at this point and the fact that we've been assigned to a server that could potentially be screwed for a long time.

Maybe i'm wrong and Bloodworthy is all guild members but if it's full now at pre-launch then whats it gonna be like at launch!
Agree. Why have a Guild program and then basically screw all those players because those Guilds will be on full servers from the start. Its not like guild members will start playing on a server without their Guildmates/friends.

DJOllieVee
12.15.2011 , 05:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kopout View Post
I think it is one of the 'predominant' pre-launch guild servers but there is also nothing to stop people from joining who isn't in a guild. Which isn't a bad thing...when there are enough servers to accomodate for everyone.

I think to fix the issue, Bioware are going to have to give people, or atleast some servers, the ability to migrate their characters because like you say imagine what it will be like at launch.

I haven't had an issue with Bioware during the whole beta process but this one is a facepalm moment for such an oversight.
Recruitment Officer for the Tatooine People's Front NOT the People's Front of Tatooine
SPLITTERS!

DJOllieVee
12.16.2011 , 06:07 AM | #15
Thought i'd give this a bump for interest.
SPLITTERS!

mitchellj
12.16.2011 , 06:13 AM | #16
I think that BioWare have put in a lot of effort to try and make things run smoothly, the demand for the game has been unprecedented.

I'm not exactly thrilled about the waved invite system but I can understand why its necessary.

As for the needing more servers issue, "adding new servers" doesn't necessarily mean just switching on ones already made. They may have to go out and build new ones, install the base OS, install the apps (or dump an image on it) configure it, load test it, put it into rotation. So I can completely get why they weren't available to start with.. they may not have even existed at that point in time.

Without seeing their data centres I cannot comment fully but in a lot of DCs there are redundant dummy boxes, so if you increase capacity you also need to increase your fail over capacity. Having worked in large scale ISPs / Content Providers I know the bain of adding more capacity to systems, its not always as clear cut as the end user (all of us) understand it to be.

Noer
12.16.2011 , 06:34 AM | #17
Basicly there was too few servers from the start. The early servers will continue to be overcrowded for the time being due to the fact that the guilds have no way of easily move to another server and their friends will join those servers in order to play with their friends.

Only ways to solve the problem are either to raise the capacity of the servers (and for some servers its gonna need quite a lot raised) or to allow guilds to migrate to other servers.

Frankly the posts by Bioware stating that people should just play on less crowded servers when it was their system that placed our guilds on these overcrowded servers just pis people off. Sure we can play on a less crowded server, but the whole point of joining as a guild was to play with them. So maybe the community representants should go back to the drawing board with some of those statements.
Noer

Kruise
12.16.2011 , 07:02 AM | #18
Why not just lock the over populated/full servers for a day, that way people who actually want to play on that specific server can pick it at a later date This would help with people "randomly" picking high pop servers.
CE owner

Biffumus
12.16.2011 , 07:05 AM | #19
They are not going to waste their time with transfers at this point (just like every other mmo), becuase the servers you would want to transfer to are going to be full by saturday night anyway, and the next night for the next new server...

Farlit_Morcha
12.16.2011 , 07:12 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Caan View Post
French speaking Euros: 70million people 10 servers
German speaking Euros: 90million people 15 servers
English speaking Euros: 500million people 20 servers
Total servers: 45

North Americans: 400 million people 65 servers

I think I can do some easy calculations here.

Also Europe have more PC gamers in general then the US which is more console oriented.
It's not this simple, you can't just add up the total population and say that's how many servers.

I'm pretty sure that Bioware have exact numbers of pre-orders and where they come from. If the US has more servers, then I would be pretty sure that there are more US pre-orders at this point in time. Bioware aren't going to 'play favourites', they want the smoothest launch possible. Neither are they stupid, or lacking the ability to add up. In short, they have better numbers than us, so I for one will trust they are using those numbers.
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety" - Salvor Hardin

Blog: Force Sensitive Druid