So What About the Horde of Newbies Expected To Arrive With the Star Wars Movie?

Meraxos

I thought the main reason KotFE was designed to emphasize fun and solo-ability was to help attract new players whose interest might be aroused by the new Star Wars movie.

So how does the Companion nerf help this? The crybaby crowd of long term players who want everything to be a "challenge" and refuse to accept that many if not most players just want some good casual fun are now happy with the neutered companions. But how will new players react? Will they enjoy the game and stick around?

Judging by the massive wave of discontent emanating from casual players whe returned for KotFE I really think that any noobs drawn in by the movie would be a lot happier with the OP companions we had two days ago.

I thought the main reason KotFE was designed to emphasize fun and solo-ability was to help attract new players whose interest might be aroused by the new Star Wars movie.

So how does the Companion nerf help this? The crybaby crowd of long term players who want everything to be a "challenge" and refuse to accept that many if not most players just want some good casual fun are now happy with the neutered companions. But how will new players react? Will they enjoy the game and stick around?

Judging by the massive wave of discontent emanating from casual players whe returned for KotFE I really think that any noobs drawn in by the movie would be a lot happier with the OP companions we had two days ago.

This is an MMO it should be hard and a challenge. If a casual player finds it too hard oh well...

This is an MMO it should be hard and a challenge. If a casual player finds it too hard oh well...

Just as bad as the people that thinks MMO means you should group with people...

"A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG or MMO) is a video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously in the same instance (or world). By necessity, they are played over a network, such as the Internet.[1] MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres."

I think my eyes are failing I dont see the words must be hard or challenging in there anywhere...

This has never been a true MMO or challenging from day one this game is about letting every one play as they like it is why you have comps in the first place. Other wise you would be just walking around by your self questing. This expac even the devs have said it designed to enjoy the story not to be nightmare mode story for some hard mode story for other and easy mode story for elitist...

That content need to be accessible to all and easy to all you want hard challenging game play the run nightmare mode ops

Edited by Neoforcer

The horde will be fine for the start and if they like it, they will stay. When this game was released it had over a million subs and i can not recall complains that the companions were to weak :) Those players could play SWTOR back in the day, as will new players.

Edited by Neglience

AshenK is just trolling at this point. He goes to practically every topic on the forum and posts the same thing about how MMOs should be non-stop hard and challenging with constant forced grouping. I think his brain got stuck in 2005.

If the player is a new player he/she would not know about how the companions were before and maybe they would just play because they are having fun.

It is not the new players that will have problems with the companions now, it is the players that have been playing with them and don't like the change.

For me doesn't matter either way I can and have adjusted to a number of things they have done since launch.

The horde will be fine for the start and if they like it, they will stay. When this game was released it had over a million subs and i can not recall complains that the companions were to weak :) Those players could play SWTOR back in the day, as will new players.

Companions today, are weaker than they were in 3.0 despite being 5 levels higher.

SWTOR never launched like that, companions that were geared were always just under a player in equal gear, simply because the player had relic slots. That was literally the only difference, and should still be the only difference. Not me in 216 gear and my companion in the equivalent of 192 gear.

Something funny: The top 5 online games are challenging and hard to master. So i would guess, the horde of players want to have a challenging gaming experience.

World of Warcraft was the easiest MMO when it came out and rocketed into the number one spot, for the rest of its life.

There's a reason why it was so popular, because it was the easiest and most casual game on the market at the time. There still isn't another MMO that has done better with a more challenging game.

World of Warcraft was the easiest MMO when it came out and rocketed into the number one spot, for the rest of its life.

LOL! Because it had soooo much competition, right? It built a massive customer base and hooked them at a time when there was virtually nothing else like it, not because it was easy.

Wow, that is some mind-blowing revisionist history.

LOL! Because it had soooo much competition, right? It built a massive customer base and hooked them at a time when there was virtually nothing else like it, not because it was easy.

Wow, that is some mind-blowing revisionist history.

It actually was pretty casual compared to the other MMOs at the time... Yes, there were other MMOs before World of Warcraft.

Actually, no... I left the game because i didnt feel any powerfull (as i like qhen i play a game) + i felt leveling and, well, everything really was soooo slow, tedious and boring. With KOTFE i enjoyed the story again, and while i still felt i was some "noname" at least it wasnt so much slow, tedious and boring... Now it is again the same no fun as before, so i left again. As simple as that

Word of mouth for 4.0 was pretty good, people were getting others to sub, after this last patch word of mouth is bad, and only getting worse. Server populations have dropped by alot and its very noticeable. A combination of people not being able to log on and the whole Companion nerf issue blowing up in Biowares face.

Perception is everything, once people get it in their heads its bad, it spreads and drives people away without even giving it a try.

Edited by Allamirr

I think my eyes are failing I dont see the words must be hard or challenging in there anywhere...

It is implied by the "grouping of people part". To create group of people larger than 4-5 is insanely hard these days. And by "group" i do not mean PUG.

It actually was pretty casual compared to the other MMOs at the time... Yes, there were other MMOs before World of Warcraft.

It also had an absurdly successful and popular brand to build off of and nearly bottomless advertising budget. That couldn't have possibly helped, could it?

It also had an absurdly successful and popular brand to build off of and nearly bottomless advertising budget. That couldn't have possibly helped, could it?

Oh man that sounds familiar. If only someone would make a Star Wars MMO, that can't possibly be screwed up can it?

After they nerfed companions and solo play?

Hey, thats wishful thinking, isnt it?

They've certainly turned me off and i am a returning player who hasn't touched the game in years. It was fun for a few weeks but BioWare doesn't want me to have fun anymore. It's ok. I need to make room for other games on my hard drive anyway.

I only wish that i had used the money that i have wasted on the KOTFE pack towards Fallout 4's purchase instead.

Edited by TwwIX