Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A talk about content difficulty

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
A talk about content difficulty

DorkTrooper
09.08.2019 , 06:16 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraysk View Post
BW relying on casuals already ruined this game.
Casual founder with uninterrupted sub since 11/24/11 here. I've been ruining this game for a while.

The Shadowlands

DWho
09.08.2019 , 07:13 PM | #42
The reality of "harder" is almost nothing to do with healing. You have tons of damage reduction even as a DPS in the game. The system works the same way it did at launch. When you achieve a level ~10 "levels" above the level of the opponent (which is based on your defense rating and class bonuses to defense like absorb, defense, and shield), they have a hard time hitting you, just like in the original game you had a hard time hitting opponents many levels above you. Level Sync only affects your offensive statistics and your health pool (it does not change the difference in levels defense mechanic since you are still your real level - its not really a level sync but a damage/health cap). If you are not taking damage because of your defense, the size of your health pool and the healing your comp is doing is meaningless.

The best experiment to prove this to yourself is to run the same heroic (or other fixed difficulty content) with different defense levels (by changing gear out for lower gear or simply removing armor (including armoring mods)) and parse the damage taken. You will also want to be within 6 levels of the opponent to avoid the additional damage resistance that is based on the level differences (if you note the DR is listed as against an opponent of the same level). Damage taken will go up as your defense score goes down while the healing rate will stay the same. This should balance somewhere around the defense score you have if you equip the class/planet story gear you got on the planet before the one you are on. Tython gear on Coruscant, Coruscant gear on Taris, etc. You will probably want to disable your companion's CC ability as well since that leads to a lot of variation in damage in small groups.

ivanhedgehog
09.10.2019 , 09:49 PM | #43
To really test it, you need to be running zero presence. You need a baseline to see what the unenhanced companions actually do.

cmcougar
09.10.2019 , 10:33 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
I fist played when companions had a set role and we had to gear them, when things were more difficult and lvling was way slower, and it took forever to kill trash, and i didn't stay very long as i found the game incredibly boring as i was constently underleveled and always had to do some lvling before continuing the story, that was absoluteny not fun. AT ALL.
I came back after the changes were made and stayed since then as it became much more fun to me. If things were to go back to how they were at the begining, i'd just leave again.

Like you, I was here in the early days when trying to solo the game was next to impossible. It was so frustrating that I left. When the changes came down, I came back and stayed. If things go back to what they were I'll be gone again, and I think an awful lot of people will go with me.

Solarmind
09.11.2019 , 04:23 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraysk View Post
There should be no such thing as solo players in an MMO, to begin with.
If i want solo content i go play Mass Effect.
Again, this is MMO, you supposed to group with other players.
If you are playing solo you are part of the problem.
Nonsense. MMO is just an indicator that a server can handle many people on-line at once. (Fun fact, 'many' = ~100 ppl. during the time this term have been introduced. ) Nothing more.
And nothing said the one should interact with the other players at any level.

SWtOR always was and is a single-player game, brought on-line by mistake. The developers did everything to make grouping the worst gaming experience you could ever have. You can't start on the same planet. You'll have to constantly drop-and-reform a group if you need to take/turn in quests (or repeat it several times for every member of the group while monitoring who was the first to enter the instanced area because only the owner would be able to get/turi in quests), run to the different areas with the different clases, etc, etc, etc. It's a nightmare !

No wonder there are a lot of solo-players around. You can't force us to group, the game itself is agains it.

pellejedi
09.11.2019 , 11:28 AM | #46
I'm a casual player. Haven't been around for years like some, so I can't speak for their experience. I kind of like the game as it is. I fits well with spending a little time each evening playing an interesting game. If BW decides to go in a different direction and doesn't want my sub fee, I'll respect that and I'll find something else to sub instead. Maybe the game's last 6 months will be very peaceful

Having said that, the story missions are easy. No other way to say it. It doesn't really bother me.