ranked /unranked

urzaplainswalker

I have a juggernaught tank/dwt i'm having trouble in ranked pvp people just are so fast to call you a ******* and not to que ranked I would love some feedback at lest and how to get better instead of being degraged I was married to amentallyabusive wife for longe rthen I should have so self esteem and self confedence is low and I try to do my best in game I just want to know how and what I can do to get better as a tank/dwt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a juggernaught tank/dwt i'm having trouble in ranked pvp people just are so fast to call you a ******* and not to que ranked I would love some feedback at lest and how to get better instead of being degraged I was married to amentallyabusive wife for longe rthen I should have so self esteem and self confedence is low and I try to do my best in game I just want to know how and what I can do to get better as a tank/dwt

Well,

First of all there is nothing that can be done about these angry kids in ranked.. You are an adult and you have understand that you are playing with and against a lot of kids with zero life experience seeking validation in a video game...

You get better in ranked and PVP by queing for it and by being patient. If you want to be good in ranked you have to que ranked. Unranked will be useful for you only to learn to the basics of your class like defenses, rotation and mostly what to do in some nasty situations.

For ranked you have to que and keep queing no matter what and just don't take what the abusive trolls say to heart... Ranked arenas are totally different gameplay compared to 8 vs 8 and this is why you have to que and que and que.. In time you will get better. Seek out friendly people who main juggs and ask for their advice, join a PVP guild that does ranked and you can find a lot of useful advice people who are willing to help. These guilds usually duel on their gships and if you duel vs top players they can tell you what you are doing wrong and what needs to be improved.

Also, it's hilarious that same people who insult you and tell you to stop queing and ***ll yourself will beg in PVP chat for others to que ranked cause it ain't popping. Wonder why.... :rolleyes:

I know people who were absolute worst and kept queing and in the end got some nice ratings.... But it took them time and dedication and they had a thick skin. ;)

Well,

First of all there is nothing that can be done about these angry kids in ranked.. You are an adult and you have understand that you are playing with and against a lot of kids with zero life experience seeking validation in a video game...

i like how this is every pve'ers response to the 'toxic' people in ranked. i hope you understand ranked is for seasoned pvpers that already know how to properly function with their class and aren't completely braindead at it. if you suck at your class and get globalled in 5 seconds in ranked OF COURSE you will be degraded, because you are not suppose to be there in the first place. those who are serious about ranked play ranked to WIN, not to lose, so expect to be insulted if you are a complete trash can in ranked. ranked players have a right to do so. go do warzones if youre gonna be below average pvp wise.

i also hate how you use a personal situation like a mentally abusive wife as an excuse for your terribad performance. im sorry you had to go through that but dont use that as an excuse to get sympathy from other people just because you cant seem to do well in a video game.

i like how this is every pve'ers response to the 'toxic' people in ranked. i hope you understand ranked is for seasoned pvpers that already know how to properly function with their class and aren't completely braindead at it. if you suck at your class and get globalled in 5 seconds in ranked OF COURSE you will be degraded, because you are not suppose to be there in the first place. those who are serious about ranked play ranked to WIN, not to lose, so expect to be insulted if you are a complete trash can in ranked. ranked players have a right to do so. go do warzones if youre gonna be below average pvp wise.

I like how you think that ranked and what happens in it it actually mattes.... ;) It's damn game... You get rewarded with pixels.

Sorry bro, but you have no clue what your talking about. You just proved me right.... Ranked has low population and and this is one of the reasons why...

A newcomer tries it and he gets trash talked and he will never que again because who the hell wants to be around such people in the first place ?

If you are so good at PVP how about you help others become good too ? :p No.. you don't do that... The advice most people get is stop queing. And I know because a few years ago i was in the same boat as well.

I like how you think that ranked and what happens in it it actually mattes.... ;) It's damn game... You get rewarded with pixels.

Sorry bro, but you have no clue what your talking about. You just proved me right.... Ranked has low population and and this is one of the reasons why...

A newcomer tries it and he gets trash talked and he will never que again because who the hell wants to be around such people in the first place ?

If you are so good at PVP how about you help others become good too ? :p No.. you don't do that... The advice most people get is stop queing. And I know because a few years ago i was in the same boat as well.

how did i know you were gonna say that lmao. pvp is just like pve. warzones = sm/hm raids, Ranked = NiM, people do nim and get cool **** like Crest, Wings, titles etc etc. Those are your rewards for being a good pve'er. Simply its the same for PVP or moreso ranked; you get top 3 flairs for being a good ranked player, or gold, silver and bronze based on your performance. If PVP is irrelevant, then so is PVE, which makes TOR irrelevant which makes us idiots for subscribing to it every month. As thanos once said, "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be."

also can you not get it through your thick skull? did you actually not read a damn thing i just said lmao?

Ranked is for seasoned pvpers, not for newcomers, do not enter ranked if you know you cant even pull 4k damage per second in warzones. thank you.

Edited by Arbitteer

OP: Just ignore the naysayers and keep playing in ranked, if that's what you want to do.

Ranked is for seasoned pvpers, not for newcomers, do not enter ranked if you know you cant even pull 4k damage per second in warzones. thank you.

Ranked PvP is for whomever plays this game. Since the OP is posting it means he is a subscriber so he most assuredly has every right to play in ranked. You have every right to try to convince people otherwise, but no way to enforce it. Not to mention, serious PvP and swtor in the same sentence is laughable.

If people want ranked to prosper in this game, then it would be advantageous to not only welcome, but to help the occasional noob who starts participating in ranked.

OP: Just ignore the naysayers and keep playing in ranked, if that's what you want to do.

Ranked PvP is for whomever plays this game. Since the OP is posting it means he is a subscriber so he most assuredly has every right to play in ranked. You have every right to try to convince people otherwise, but no way to enforce it. Not to mention, serious PvP and swtor in the same sentence is laughable.

If people want ranked to prosper in this game, then it would be advantageous to not only welcome, but to help the occasional noob who starts participating in ranked.

i mean alright go ahead, go in ranked and if you die in 5 seconds and your teammates throw slander and insults at you dont say i didnt warn you. like i said above, if you think PVP and serious in the same sentence is laughable then so is PVE(basically 90% of the game) and serious in the sentance is even MORE laughable considering almost all of SWTOR consists of pve activities, which means SWTOR is laughable but here we are playing it and talking on its websites forums :^)

i mean alright go ahead, go in ranked and if you die in 5 seconds and your teammates throw slander and insults at you dont say i didnt warn you. like i said above, if you think PVP and serious in the same sentence is laughable then so is PVE(basically 90% of the game) and serious in the sentance is even MORE laughable considering almost all of SWTOR consists of pve activities, which means SWTOR is laughable but here we are playing it and talking on its websites forums :^)

Prime example of the OPs complaint about ranked fools.

He comes to the forums to ask for help and all you do is attack him and then anyone else who doesn’t agree with you.

Some constructive feed back.

If you are new to a class or pvp in this game, the best way to get better is to practice in regs (or it used to be).

Something that may help is to read some guides and watch some YouTube or twitch vids on how to play certain classes.

This is also helpful to understanding tactics because most people playing ranked won’t communicate or say anything, they just expect you to know and have little patience for people trying to get better.

Part of the problem with learning to get better these days is reg pvp is a mess. The skill lvl and team work is basically non existent, so it can be hard to build confidence and get better against higher skilled players who know how to play properly.

You also have the problem of 4v4 regs not popping unless the queue numbers are low. Which means people can’t practice tactics and skills in reg arena. (This is something many of these ranked players don’t understand)

At some point we were all bad and had to learn. Elitists in ranked seem to forget that.

As for getting better at tanking in ranked. Learn to target swap, use your taunts appropriately, setup focus target of target in your UI and hot key it. If you don’t already keybind your abilities, either learn too or at least keybind the most important ones on your mouse or easy to remember and use on your keyboard. This can make or brake your reaction times.

Here is a link to a thread that one of community members made on tanking in pvp.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=943932

And another great guide about pvp in general.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=939837

Edited by TrixxieTriss

People like you are part of the problem. I'd rather have OP in my group than you when doing solo's.

In a game with more population, ranked would be for everyone because you would be playing with people your level. There would be enough new people to make up teams so you could gradually get better. Unfortunately, there isn't enough people so the higher ranked people get put with lower ranked people. So complain all you want that you get placed with inexperienced players but the fact that you still complain about it, shows you are a little out of touch with reality.

It's the nature of the beast and play for fun and the challenge of trying to carry but for the Love of God, get over yourself and your elo in ranked. If more people played, then players could progress through it properly. So help out players and accept ranked isn't what you want it to be. The population is small enough, people will start to recognize the good players without you whining and telling people how wonderful you are.

Since the OP is posting it means he is a subscriber so he most assuredly has every right to play in ranked. You have every right to try to convince people otherwise, but no way to enforce it.

You're right. It is your right to que if you are subbed. But it is also our right to curse, be toxic, and vote kick you if you are trash.

For ranked you have to que and keep queing no matter what and just don't take what the abusive trolls say to heart... Ranked arenas are totally different gameplay compared to 8 vs 8 and this is why you have to que and que and que..

No. Learn in regs. Just like the rest of us did. If you are getting blasted with toxicity there is a reason for that. Solo ranked that mediocracy is the new norm. But if you are getting blasted with toxicity there is most likely a reason for it.

You're right. It is your right to que if you are subbed. But it is also our right to curse, be toxic, and vote kick you if you are trash.

No. Learn in regs. Just like the rest of us did. If you are getting blasted with toxicity there is a reason for that. Solo ranked that mediocracy is the new norm. But if you are getting blasted with toxicity there is most likely a reason for it.

Maybe. But using vote kick only requires one person on the team to feel the same as me. Your way requires everyone on your team to feel the same way as you. How about just being a decent human being with a bit of maturity sprinkled in, junior. This is a game. I promise there won't ever be a MLG event for swtor 4v4, so your e-fame won't take too big a of a hit if you lose a ranked match.

There is never a really good reason for toxicity. Ignoring it is the best recourse.

those who are serious about ranked play ranked to WIN.

those who are serious about ranked control who is on their team and do actual ranked, not gimped mode yolo.

if you yolo, you roll the dice on your teammates. don't like it? there's a queue for that....

the first two of those are expressly against tos and will result in bans if the victim has the presence of mind to file a report. vote to kick is nebulous, but I think you can get away with that.

honestly, though. playing regs does nothing at all to prepare a person for arenas. hell, arenas aren't even in the queue (for all practical purposes). and the pace of play in regs is so slow that you never learn how to cope with ranked pressure. any combination of buttons works in regs.

Edited by foxmob

honestly, though. playing regs does nothing at all to prepare a person for arenas. hell, arenas aren't even in the queue (for all practical purposes). and the pace of play in regs is so slow that you never learn how to cope with ranked pressure. any combination of buttons works in regs.

Regs is such trash now that you will never get better playing there. It’s been my experience over the years that you only get better playing with and around much better players. At some point you have to join ranked to get better.

The gap between the skill lvl in regs and ranked is the widest it’s ever been in this game.

I remember when you could actually learn enough in regs so the gap to ranked skill was not such a monumental leap.

I think that is something many people forget or don’t realise. Regs is a trash heap now. When we all learned to play pvp in regs, there were better people around us.

And honesty, a lot of ranked players who have come into regs over the years and have treated it as a joke and worn down the way it’s played so it’s just a joke are partially to blame for it’s sorry state. There is no team work or people learning tactics, strategy or even playing to win. Is it really surprising that people coming from regs to ranked have no idea how to pvp in this game anymore.

All they know how to is dummy parse at mid where no one dies. Or they 3-4v1 people and instant kill them. Others see 2 people coming to their node and literally run off because they don’t want to die.

How do ranked people expect them to learn to play when they only farm numbers and run away if they are out numbered or focused. You can’t run away for long in ranked. You fight or you lose. You have to learn how to deal with focus and you need to be able to 1-3v1 in situations to allow your team to do its thing. None of that happens in regs anymore.

People are trash and it’s because of the attitude that has filtered down through the top to the bottom players that regs don’t matter. This bad attitude from some ranked players infected regs years ago and as more and more good reg players have left, the more noobs have learnt to not play properly. If you want people to respect ranked and also get better in regs to play in ranked, then you need the attitude to change in regs and have people learn to play properly. If you don’t learn to take regs seriously when you first start to learn, your attitude will be forever tainted towards all forms of pvp.

The reg - ranked - reg - ranked pvp in this game is essentially a symbiotic eco system. I’ve been saying for years that telling people regs don’t matter would kill it off and then ranked would also be affected in ways we may not understand yet. But nobody headed that warning and now the crows have come home to roost. Ranked population and reg pvp populations are terrible. Reg players are now terrible and ranked can’t get enough good new players to make it work properly. The ranked community need to take partial responsibility for the state of regs and maybe need to cut people some slack who come to ranked to learn to get better instead of trying to do it in regs like we use to.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

For ranked pvp, your performance will ultimately affect the entire team which brings down their rating when losing a ranked match. Ranked players needs to know how to dps effectively with proper rotations/using dcds at the appropriate time when being focused /using cc at the appropriate time/knowing when to switch targets etc. It is not certainly not easy to master like gsf matches which required a ton of practice. Not to mention, the proper usage of adrenals/grenades etc. Regs arenas are the best place for practise and hence the scoreboard at the end of arena match shows you the total damage, healing etc which players can improve on themselves. Edited by Visorknight

A post from 2015 pointing out how the toxicity in ranked will kill off pvp. People could see this happening 4 and more years ago and nobody heeded the warnings, all that happened is some people trolled and others pointed out this was a problem.

Switch to day and we have a bad pvp community and culture because the player base didn’t care.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=800369

I've made a post in the past regarding experiences I've ran into with Ranked PVP and wanted to hit on why I'm seeing more of the PVP community becoming more and more divided. Now mind you not all PVP players are being categorized here but I PVP on multiple servers and keep in mind I participate in both ranked and unranked here so I'm completely unbiased to the two and the biggest thing I see people throw at each other is this whole, "your a regstar" or "come get farmed in ranked" type comments. Even the "why be a try hard in unranked it doesn't matter" mentality is wrong. People play PVP and enjoy different parts of it end of story.

Now first off in my opinion if you take out the skilled players that participate in ranked your left with a game mode that if anything has less variables to deal with and watch in a match than Warzones. I feel like Warzones require a lot more coordination and skill to a certain degree. Sure your dealing with more players so carrying people tends to be easier but still, in ranked (depending on your role) it puts an emphasis on making sure you focus proper targets down, switch targets accordingly, manage your offensive and defensive cooldowns and cc's and cc breaks, along with interrupts. Healers ensuring they are kiting the tanks guard swapping. Now looking at that though all that can be said about Unranked and in Warzones as well, the only difference is you have more people on your team so you can get away with a messing up on managing any of the above. Now on top of all of that though in Warzones depending on game type sometimes its best not to kill targets or teammates and recognizing when not to do so,(like in Huttball) so they don't spawn near their goal line, or watching doors or nodes, rotating accordingly between nodes, and guarding objectives just to name a few things. Now everything that's required of you in ranked holds true in Unranked its just more people with an extra variable thrown in their (the objectives).

Now don't get me wrong this isn't a Ranked is better than Unranked or vice versa type thread here. I'm wanting to point to two things here. First to the people who do make those type of comments please get off your high horse and realize that if anything Ranked has less variables to deal with than Unranked Warzones. Like I said above if you took out the exceptionally skilled players who play in Ranked it could easily be argued that Warzones are just as competitive and skill dependent. The second thing I want to add in here is why throw this at people for in the first place? The PVP community in this game is already being divided by the lack of class balance, new content, and an elo system that doesn't work with the current system just to name a few. The threads I see on the PVP forums are always pointing a finger at the Devs for PVP's shortcomings in this game (and rightfully so in a lot of cases) but I've yet to see anyone look at the community and hold the community responsible for its actions and contributing to the amount of less participation especially in ranked. There is no "only arena queue" for newer players to practice in before jumping into Ranked, and the only way people learn and get better in any portion of PVP is to jump in get their feet wet. Yes coming into Ranked improperly geared or trolling in Ranked is a separate matter, but stop slaughtering your player base with the toxic remarks. I'm not saying PVP we need to hold hands and sing, but if you don't have anything good to say sometimes just leaving it alone and move on to your next queue is a better option.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

In a game with more population, ranked would be for everyone because you would be playing with people your level. There would be enough new people to make up teams so you could gradually get better. Unfortunately, there isn't enough people so the higher ranked people get put with lower ranked people. So complain all you want that you get placed with inexperienced players but the fact that you still complain about it, shows you are a little out of touch with reality.

It's the nature of the beast and play for fun and the challenge of trying to carry but for the Love of God, get over yourself and your elo in ranked. If more people played, then players could progress through it properly. So help out players and accept ranked isn't what you want it to be. The population is small enough, people will start to recognize the good players without you whining and telling people how wonderful you are.

Yea population is an issue, the population is there but not the interest in ranked pvp. Better the rewards then players wont compain about bads or wintrading. Population gain literally solves all problems.

Better the rewards then players wont compain about bads or wintrading.

lol no.

if anything, complaints about bads and rancor will increase. you see, that will put more on the line for every match b/c everyone will care more about winning, and if you care more about winning, then you're going to care more about losing because of someone else on your team. so you're going to see an exponential spike in shaming (toxicity) in the solo queue.

but as I've said before, if you're actually serious about competitive pvp, you wouldn't be derping around in the solo queue anyway. you'd be on a team in which you could hand pick your teammates. but 99.9% of the pvp population doesn't do this because their egos can't handle the fact that they will get shelled by that .1% that will happily camp the queue and farm them. I don't blame said players for ducking the group queue. I'm among them. but I have a hearty laugh at those players who then rage at weak and new players for "ruining" their "ranked" queue and then lecturing them on how (solo) ranked is for experts (lul).

solo ranked is where players go to pretend they're good and then act like their s**t doesn't stink. it's an amazing compartmentalization/hypocrisy that they don't acknowledge their own inadequacies in dodging "real" competition in the group queue.

find 3 more friends. (wut? you don't have that? yes. you do.) there are more than 4 team's worth of "solo stars" on SF. announce on the board that you have teams and in fleet what times your team can queue. I guarantee skill capped and ruining lives will find a way to join in. crushers will make their way back. you and the other 3 teams will have plenty of competition and nobody to blame for your losses (or wins kek) but yourselves.

lol no.

if anything, complaints about bads and rancor will increase. you see, that will put more on the line for every match b/c everyone will care more about winning, and if you care more about winning, then you're going to care more about losing because of someone else on your team. so you're going to see an exponential spike in shaming (toxicity) in the solo queue.

but as I've said before, if you're actually serious about competitive pvp, you wouldn't be derping around in the solo queue anyway. you'd be on a team in which you could hand pick your teammates. but 99.9% of the pvp population doesn't do this because their egos can't handle the fact that they will get shelled by that .1% that will happily camp the queue and farm them. I don't blame said players for ducking the group queue. I'm among them. but I have a hearty laugh at those players who then rage at weak and new players for "ruining" their "ranked" queue and then lecturing them on how (solo) ranked is for experts (lul).

solo ranked is where players go to pretend they're good and then act like their s**t doesn't stink. it's an amazing compartmentalization/hypocrisy that they don't acknowledge their own inadequacies in dodging "real" competition in the group queue.

find 3 more friends. (wut? you don't have that? yes. you do.) there are more than 4 team's worth of "solo stars" on SF. announce on the board that you have teams and in fleet what times your team can queue. I guarantee skill capped and ruining lives will find a way to join in. crushers will make their way back. you and the other 3 teams will have plenty of competition and nobody to blame for your losses (or wins kek) but yourselves.

I am inclined to disagree a bit...

Solo que is designed to put trash odds against you and see how you fare up... It's some kind of test. To get rating and top leaderboard positions you have to overcome these odds by being good and winning despite the circumstances...

On paper I think this is the idea behind it. So, on paper you still have to be good in order to be successful...

Whether this is how most are getting top spots is up to debate...

In the case of team ranked it's a bit different. In season 10 team ranked was alive ONLY BECAUSE doing the weekly was easy and thus getting the nice and shiny mats for crafting or for selling on the GTN. It was an artificial revitalization as most teams in que were mat farmers and avarage more casuals all being farmed by top teams who got their ratings to astronomical levels and que dodging each other whenever possible.. ;) On Malgus we had certain guilds que on weekend noon time when mat farmers more active to farm rating.

Unsurprisingly when Bioware changes the weekly to 50 points and 1 point for loss doing team ranked was not so worth it.. Who would bother losing 50 times ? No one... and as a result the que died.

The biggest problem with ranked is the community and the way they are trash talking people out of the que if they make mistakes...Also pair that with outdated elo system, trash matchmaking and class stacking that creates frustration. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

I am inclined to disagree a bit...

Solo que is designed to put trash odds against you and see how you fare up... It's some kind of test. To get rating and top leaderboard positions you have to overcome these odds by being good and winning despite the circumstances...

solo queue exists because people (like me!) cried about wanting to pvp but weren't up to par for top tier "competitive" action and/or liked to solo. grp queues die because fragile egos. so players fall back into solo. those are the only two reason solo queue even exists.

yes, I understand that getting rating in solos is a test of how heavy you can carry (as opposed to grp). that's subordinate to the fact that the queue even exists or is "popular" because the yolo stars can't take getting stomped in grp or don't wanna live with the fact that, in a remotely "competitive environment" where you can control your teammates, you aren't a gold tier player after all.

but as I've said before, if you're actually serious about competitive pvp, you wouldn't be derping around in the solo queue anyway. you'd be on a team in which you could hand pick your teammates.

This is laughably ignorant for so many reasons. The first and most important of which is that group ranked is dead. Why on earth would I bother to get 4 people into a team to just queue and sit there with no pops? That would be literally insane. Your response might be that I should encourage other people to queue. So what, now it's my job to organize an entire server's worth of group ranked just to get a few other decent teams in queue, so that we can all rotate and queue against each other over and over? And that's "top tier" pvp? Please.

Furthermore, pretending that group ranked is a superior game mode is flawed in and of itself. Just because you control who your teammates are doesn't make it better inherently. There are tons of group ranked players that get carried, especially healers. Just because you play on (or more accurately, used to play on) a good granked team doesn't make you a good player.

Solo ranked is a much more accurate predictor of whether a player is good or not. Group ranked only shows that you can succeed in a tightly controlled, well coordinated team effort, which surely is important in a team game. But solo ranked shows a degree of adaptability in diverse situations. You have to be able to thrive in not only tank/heal games, but also all dps games, heal games, and tank games. How you call strats and deal with random teammates is part of the challenge. And most importantly, it measures your individual skill, assuming you play enough games. Group ranked says nothing about your individual skill, but only that you can play well as a team. Or do you think that all members of a championship basketball team are equally skilled as well?

solo queue exists because people (like me!) cried about wanting to pvp but weren't up to par for top tier "competitive" action and/or liked to solo. grp queues die because fragile egos. so players fall back into solo. those are the only two reason solo queue even exists.

yes, I understand that getting rating in solos is a test of how heavy you can carry (as opposed to grp). that's subordinate to the fact that the queue even exists or is "popular" because the yolo stars can't take getting stomped in grp or don't wanna live with the fact that, in a remotely "competitive environment" where you can control your teammates, you aren't a gold tier player after all.

All of these assertions are completely baseless. And your conclusion is totally backwards. If someone can get gold in solos, they can easily get gold in granked if they joined a good team (and if it wasn't dead). The reverse is far from true. These ideas you have exist only in your own head, not in reality.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Tstuff.

buddy. I have gold. yes. me. I have it, without wintrading. anyone in SF queue right now would laugh their butts off at that fact, but there it is. I have gold. I'm also, you may have noticed, running around with furious weapon sets (2 of them!). the fact that you could get those words out of your mouth (metaphorically) that solo proves more than grp, is a complete and utter joke. and I am living proof of that.

we're done. spam your arguments all you like. there's no comeback for that. solo is yolo. it's not serious.

Edited by foxmob