Unassembled Components in 6.0

JediMasterAlex

Will Unassembled Components still be a gearing currency in 6.0? Ever since I finished gearing my main in 258, I'm unsure if I should continue to spend UCs to gear alts, or whether I should just save them for 6.0. I'm not in any particular rush to gear my alts, but if UCs will be useless by the time 6.0 hits, I may as well use them. It would be great if Eric could weigh in, but if not, I'd still be interested in what others think.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

What is this elusive 6.0 you are speaking of :rak_03:?

Let me spin this around, how would you want to see gear acquired via PvP in a large future update, such as an expansion? Should it be via a commendation system (UCs, PvP tokens, etc)? Should it be drops from boxes? Mission rewards? Yes?

As I said in another thread, discussion are actively on going on not only what new gear will look like, but how it will be acquired. So weigh in on how you see UCs in the future, if at all.

-eric

Let me spin this around, how would you want to see gear acquired via PvP in a large future update, such as an expansion? Should it be via a commendation system (UCs, PvP tokens, etc)? Should it be drops from boxes? Mission rewards? Yes?

As I said in another thread, discussion are actively on going on not only what new gear will look like, but how it will be acquired. So weigh in on how you see UCs in the future, if at all.

-eric

Why was this moved from general? Surely the unassembled component question affects all styles of game-play from solo to ops to ranked pvp?

Also I'm intrigued. Elusive 6.0 you say? Hmmmm...

Edited by Sarova

-eric

Me personally I am fine with gearing as it existed in 5.9. I am fine with gearing the way it was in 4.x. I am NOT fine with the way in was in early 5.0 or the way it is in 5.10.

To mention something very specific:

I don't like anything about the 252/258 gear.

I don't like that it was added in the first place.

I don't like that it was added because of an op that shouldn't exist since it was already overscaled.

I don't like that it's locked behind ossus.

I don't like that the system to get it is.different than the system to get 248 gear.

I don't like that they locked mods and enhancements.

I dont like that thanks to the bugged wb when i was just going to suck it up I never got the lightsaber I earned, and their only reply to my ticket was to tell me it was a bug. Duh, i figured that out somehow.

But most of all, I don't like being ignored when I told them about all of this.(except the bugged world bosses of course) before the patch ever dropped, and I was not the only voice of discontent, but just like with GC as it first dropped or conquest when they slaughtered it, they ignored the outcry.

-eric

Drop the same gear in PvP that you award for PvE - there's no reason we need PvP specific gear. Limit the amount we can get from PvP the very same way you do with PvE - with Weekly missions and limited numbers of whatever the new currency will be.

Use Ossus as a template:

• 50 Solo Ranked Points OR HM Queen Kill

• Weekly 10 PvP matches for a loot RNG box OR 10 Heroic missions on Ossus = 1 crystal

• 500 UC's = 1 crystal (already in-game, equal for PvPers and PvEers)

• Weekly PvP mission (20) OR 2 Ossus WB's = 1 crystal

Make PvP a viable alternative to gear, but it would be a PvE OR PvP thing, much like you're doing now, which limits the amount of gear a player can get and it doesn't allow players to 'double dip' in PvP and PvE.

Edited by TUXs

how would you want to see gear acquired via PvP in a large future update, such as an expansion? Should it be via a commendation system (UCs, PvP tokens, etc)? Should it be drops from boxes? Mission rewards? Yes?

Personally I would love to see return to 2.0 style reward loop with seperate PvP and PvE gear, easily understandable, hassle free and predictable. It could use some tweaks, but it was in essence a great system that was easy to understand and didn't cause too much confusion.

Edited by albeva

-eric

Musco, I believe I have the perfect solution. We want ranked to be easy to enter into (as in not require a massive gear grind to be competitive), but also to maintain a gearing up aspect so people can advance their characters, right?

How about we do the following:

1- We keep something similar to the current gearing system, and set up the gearing speed in descending order: Hardcore PVE, Ranked PVP, Operations, PVP, casual play. Ranked weeklies, NiM operations could drop the equivalent of masterwork crystals for this to work out.

2- Each character allocates stats manually on a different tab, which overrides gear in PVP zones. This means that everyone who goes into a warzone enjoys a stat distribution of their choosing at the highest iLVL, and the strength of maximum level mainhand / offhand.

This would mean that we would maintain the grinding element of an MMO, while allowing PVP'ers to not -need- a grind to actually be competitive at the highest level. This would also give additional incentive for other players to queue up for PVP warzones, while not making it mandatory at all.

Edit: On a further note, the current gearing barrier to start doing ranked on a character is too big, in my opinion. I can queue on 230 geared alt with no augments, true, but that just handicaps the team who has the misfortune of having my toon.

Edited by Metthew

The best system I have seen in this game was when you nerfed the costs for ranked PVP gear. At that time you were getting PVP coms by playing PVP and for that you could buy gear. Since ranked gear was extremely expensive it was rare. When the nerf came a popular way was to level a new toon via PVP where you earned enough PVP coms for a ranked set by the time you reached level 70.

However, people might not wanna level toons now and they would get the PVP coms for ranked gear too fast so it really wants some new way. However, all this requires expertise gear (PVP gear seperated from PVE gear).

You simply need to motivate only PVPers to do PVP, mainly ranked, so if you want them to get gear they have to play it. That means PVP coms drop from matches, dailies and weeklies. No mats, no crystals no nothing, PVP for PVPers.

I liked the 5.8-9 gearing system from a PvP standpoint. You could upgrade all your gear whenever you had the currency, rather than having to get just 1-2 pieces a week. It was nice because some weeks I have more time to play, some less, but if I missed a week I could always catch up the next week if I played more. The Ossus gearing system doesn't allow that...if I miss a week, I'm now behind everyone else and can't catch up until they are all geared fully. It also (and this was the biggest reason I liked it) let me bypass the RNG on implant, ear, and relic drops. Most relics in the game, that I'd get as drops, are basically useless, but I could trade them up with UCs to a new relic that was actually useful. Same goes for accuracy ear or implant parts.

So, to sum it up, I'd like less weekly limits on gear, and either no RNG or a way to bypass it with UCs like the old system had.

Lip service

Lip service is an idiom meaning (chiefly when following 'to pay' ) 'giving approval or support insincerely' (Concise Oxford Dictionary).

Why do you guys bother? Have you learned nothing from the past 7 years? Do you think for a second they do not already have a plan in place, and with the intention to follow it regardless of any suggestion posted here? Remember, this was the team that gave us 5.0 and removed PvP comms, and once the command system was finally less terrible, they gave us Ossus grind. Nothing we do matter.

Guys, I'd rather we just talk about gearing here instead of derailing the thread talking about imagined slights towards the community.

Also, I am curious why people keep suggesting ways to retain a PVP grind - why should choosing stats before going into Warzones / Arenas need a grind? It just produces a gearing barrier (and no, bolster is not enough because undergeared characters hit like a wet noodle) that makes everything less fun.

Is this some weird bargaining position where we say what we think they would consider instead of what we want? Or are you guys actually sadists who want to put the entire ranked community through miserable grind for each different class they dare to play?

Personally I like the UC component system you had going up to Ossus. I like that there is a variety of ways to get gear through UC's. The system you have with Ossus is needlessly tedious. That said I think you need to bring back pvp specific gear, you should still be able to get them with UC's so the player has a choice do I want to spend my UC's on pvp or pve gear. A new currency is unnecessary. Giving the player a choice is preferable.

I don't pvp at all (and never will) so as far as how to achieve gear for pvp I leave that to those more qualified than myself-the pvp players themselves

But I do like the system you had in place prior to Ossus that the gear came from various sources, including command boxes and would like to see a return to that for the gear but whether you do it or not I doubt you will. You seem to be focusing on more group stuff lately so I have a feeling unless you do those activities you are SOL.

-eric

6.0 you say? Illuminati confirmed. :rak_03::rak_03::rak_03:

But for real...

Step 1 - Rewind back to 4.0 when we had SEPARATE PvP and PvE Gear. When we had a legacy commendation system and PvP gear was cheap and quick to get!

Step 2 - Rejoice!

Step 3 - Profit?!!!!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY BURN THE WHOLE GALACTIC COMMAND SYSTEM AND THE UC'S AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE HELL FIRES FROM WHENCE IT CAME! RAWR!!! :D

-eric

I liked when PVP gear was granted via warzone commendations... I want my old Warzone Commendations returned... as well as my old Ranked Warzone Commendations...

please return to that system!

1: Remove loot boxes. That stuff is not fun and never was.

2: Unbind mods and enhancements from armor sets. What the devs believe is BiS in PvE is not BiS in PvP.

3: Bring back the ability to purchase mods and enhancements. This includes ones like B mods and high endurance enhancements. Have them cost a crystal each or something but allow us to play around with what we feel fits our style.

2: Unbind mods and enhancements from armor sets. What the devs believe is BiS in PvE is not BiS in PvP.
It essentially is though. You want to swap accuracy out for crit, which you can do by buying healer boots / gloves (you can buy them on any class, just change vendor view settings). If you want a high alacrity build, you go alacrity implants/earpiece, and you sort the rest with augments, etc. etc.

It essentially is though. You want to swap accuracy out for crit, which you can do by buying healer boots / gloves (you can buy them on any class, just change vendor view settings). If you want a high alacrity build, you go alacrity implants/earpiece, and you sort the rest with augments, etc. etc.

I thought this was not true. I don't have any 252/258 gear yet, because reasons. But, take for example, the way I geared up my PvP tank (in 230s). I wanted to get rid of the defense stat completely. So I bought both the tank and the dps version of pretty much everything. Then in my gear I put in the tank armoring/hilt, and the dps mods and enhancements. I thought with 252/258 gear, that is not possible?

I thought this was not true. I don't have any 252/258 gear yet, because reasons. But, take for example, the way I geared up my PvP tank (in 230s). I wanted to get rid of the defense stat completely. So I bought both the tank and the dps version of pretty much everything. Then in my gear I put in the tank armoring/hilt, and the dps mods and enhancements. I thought with 252/258 gear, that is not possible?
Oh yeah, tank gearing right now is utter crap. However, what you're describing is totally possible still: you can buy a full tank gear, full dps gear, then transfer mods and enhancements from DPS gear to tank gear, piece by piece. The only restriction is that you need to do it boot to boot, gloves to gloves, etc.

The problem with the current system is the length of the grind, it takes a ridiculous amount of effort to get 2x 258 gear for your tank to make the PVP tanking set. You'd need DPS weapon, tank shield, DPS offhand (so you can move mod/enh from it), DPS armor, tank armor, healer gloves/boots (to replace accuracy in DPS armor with crit rating), relics, implants and earpiece. That's quite a lot of crystals you need to get.

Just another reason they should make PVP stat allocation through some menu instead of some grind IMHO - coming back to my suggestion at the first page. It shouldn't take as much effort to gear both a PVE tank and a PVE dps, just to gear up one PVP tank. In fact, there should not be a gearing barrier to it at all.

Edited by Metthew