force using companions for non-force users?

LilTsar

anybody else think this would be cool? i mean, just because i prefer blasters to magic personally, this is still star wars, and i rather wish that i could at least hang out with some force users during solo play. as a bonus, i think it'd help reinforce the general idea that bioware went for in game that force users are not obscenely more powerful than a gunfighter who knows what they're doing. of course jedi and sith get respect, but ostensibly its little, if any, more than the amount given to bounty hunters, imp agents, the more famous smugglers or republic troopers. on my agent, having a sort of sith liason seems like a perfectly logical companion that justifies my status, same thing for the trooper but with a jedi, and considering the abundance of rogue force users in the game (effin' jawas even) the creation of a couple suitable independent force using characters to join the bh and smuggler would not only not be a challenge, but could make for some really interesting storylines. on a side note, id certainly welcome a healing companion that wasn't based mostly on tossing goo at me every 30 seconds regardless of my health.

Agents get a force using companion on Hoth. Ensign Raina Temple who knows some tricks with the force but not formally trained nor wants to be.

Smugglers get the Mon Calamarian dude who was in training to be a Jedi but didn't complete I think???

They are in game just gotta pick the class ;)

I'd really like a sorc or sage healer. All we've got are techy ones.

i think it'd help reinforce the general idea that bioware went for in game that force users are not obscenely more powerful than a gunfighter who knows what they're doing

Why are all the healing companions in the game cunning (or aim) based anyway? Seems peculiar.

Edited by grania

Would really like to see them allow you to pick or hire your first companion. If you hire them you pay so many creds per day until you get affection to a certan level. this will make the players stop and think of how their choices affect they outcome of others. and their own pocket book.

I just want to know why the Healers for Jedi are such Slimeballs? On top of being the only choice for Female Jedi as romance options (for consular at least).

Tharan is a one-night stand, not a full romance. Your lady Consular will meet her actual romance later. He's your ranged tank companion, I think.

I just want to know why the Healers for Jedi are such Slimeballs? On top of being the only choice for Female Jedi as romance options (for consular at least).

The slimeball isn't actually a full romance option for Consulars as far as I know. It's the soldier you get on Hoth. The slimeball is, uh, otherwise attached.

Smugglers get the Mon Calamarian dude who was in training to be a Jedi but didn't complete I think???

They are in game just gotta pick the class ;)

He is NOT a force using companion. According to his own words, he "can sense the force, but can't use it". Since he can't use the force, he is not a force using companion.

I assumed every class got a companion version of the four main classes, or at least three. Then I played a Trooper. Five Trooper companions later I became very disappointed. It's not as bad with every other class since they get a mix of Trooper and Smuggler, but only Jedi get another Jedi (But only of their class barring SI). Edited by GenericallyNamed

I think the main issue is that YOU, as the player, are in charge, and your companions are subordinates. However, in the SW universe, and especially during the Cold War, Force users are the upper echelons. They're the leaders, the generals, the strike team commanders. Even those who prefer to work alone generally give orders rather than take them, and aren't going to be inclined to follow the lead of a non-Force sensitive rather than their own instincts. Force users are rare, and a valuable resource.

For a Jedi, it would be unusual indeed for them to let a Bounty Hunter or rank-and-file trooper boss them around. A younger Jedi perhaps, but for a Padawan to be masterless and out on their own is again extremely unlikely. A Grey Jedi is a possibility, but if he's not the sort to listen to the Jedi Council, why would he listen to you?

Not impossible, but tough to write.

For the Imperial side it's even worse. What Sith, even the mildest-mannered, light-sidiest Sith, would follow around a Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent and do their bidding? Just to SURVIVE the Academy on Korriban requires an individual willing and able to stand up to the trials AND their instructors. The trained Sith response to authority is to plot to overthrow it, and any Sith who DOESN'T immediately loses face with his peers. And/or is killed.

Again, not impossible, but difficult to explain WHY a Sith would obey the orders of a non-Force user.

A Force user joining your crew would almost have to be a late-game add, after you've already proven you can hold your own against Force-users.

I think the main issue is that YOU, as the player, are in charge, and your companions are subordinates. However, in the SW universe, and especially during the Cold War, Force users are the upper echelons. They're the leaders, the generals, the strike team commanders. Even those who prefer to work alone generally give orders rather than take them, and aren't going to be inclined to follow the lead of a non-Force sensitive rather than their own instincts. Force users are rare, and a valuable resource.

For a Jedi, it would be unusual indeed for them to let a Bounty Hunter or rank-and-file trooper boss them around. A younger Jedi perhaps, but for a Padawan to be masterless and out on their own is again extremely unlikely. A Grey Jedi is a possibility, but if he's not the sort to listen to the Jedi Council, why would he listen to you?

For the Imperial side it's even worse. What Sith, even the mildest-mannered, light-sidiest Sith, would follow around a Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent and do their bidding? Just to SURVIVE the Academy on Korriban requires an individual willing and able to stand up to the trials AND their instructors. The trained Sith response to authority is to plot to overthrow it, and any Sith who DOESN'T immediately loses face with his peers. And/or is killed.

Again, not impossible, but difficult to explain WHY a Sith would obey the orders of a non-Force user.

A Force user joining your crew would almost have to be a late-game add, after you've already proven you can hold your own against Force-users.

in three simple words " I like it"

rare? seriously? ahve you played the game? and while yes a sith following a bh makes little sense, the agents are allegedly the elite, and since the class system is purportedly balanced to not favor force users, it only makes sense that there's some crappy sith out there that the other sith don't like (alien perhaps? can i get a kubaz sith companion? please!?) that they send to an agent if only to spy on you or something. for jedi it's the same thing but even easier, since you are correct in saying sith don't typically allow to live anybody they don't like, while for the indie classes there's a veritable plethora of completely unaligned force users already and no reason not to add more, as the star wars universe has consistently backed the concept that every single race (except wookies) have force users in the community to a certain extent. not trying to be a dick, cause for the most part i do agree with you. but since future companions would presumably be added in expansions that extend the storylines, by that time every class would have 'proven' themselves

Edited by LilTsar