Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

sirwyst

This is a desperate call to all NEW Crafters...:=(

I am not here to tell anyone to do anything, this is everyone responsibility. However, please be careful on your pricing and what you do to ensure you do not endanger GTN market price.

1) Purple and Blue items pricing

- Before putting on GTN an item you have RE, check the approx price of individual Mats. Happened to see some items listed at 2450 while it required like 5 Dragon Krayt MAT to build and each of them would cost you between 1k to 5k each ! This means the item you are selling 2.5k could cost you up to 25k to produce and not only you loose 22k in the operation but you totally destroy GTN market price list

2) Orange item

Same here and before you put on sell a nice orange item you learned from a schematic, check its market price please. I now see crafters putting some level 39 Phobium item at 1779 ! OMG !!!!! You could sell this from 10k to 25k at least......

While I am totally open for a sane competition between crafters, being cheaper is always good for the customer of course, we are all here to do business so please be careful....:=)

Same would go in combat where you would expect people to behave and play properly right ? While it goes same here.

Wondering what we can do...and I am afraid nothing much....

Maybe we should create a Merchant Guild like in old time and control GTN pricing...

Any suggestion before I start to cry because on non experienced players destroying a great economy market.....:=)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, that's what's called a free market. You sell items for what you think they are worth, and buy them for the same. If I have an abundance of X, or X is worthless to me for whatever reason, it's perfectly acceptable to see it for whatever I consider "fair". If that's half (or 10%) of what you sell that same thing at, then sorry but I'm going to get their money and you are not. Besides, if I do have a surplus of something and you're selling it for say 1500, it's sensible for me to sell it for less, so that *I* get the money, and you don't. After all, if we price fix then they will just randomly buy it from whomever, and well I want the money too! :p

Besides, if I do have a surplus of something and you're selling it for say 1500, it's sensible for me to sell it for less, so that *I* get the money, and you don't. After all, if we price fix then they will just randomly buy it from whomever, and well I want the money too! :p

Actually, if you want to stay in the market, the sensible thing is to not undercut him. If you undercut, he'll have to match your price or...if he follows the same philosophy, undercut you in return. Classic prisoner's dilemma.

Of course, if you're just dumping stuff, well, then price to move :)

Actually, if you want to stay in the market, the sensible thing is to not undercut him. If you undercut, he'll have to match your price or...if he follows the same philosophy, undercut you in return. Classic prisoner's dilemma.

Of course, if you're just dumping stuff, well, then price to move :)

This is true, however considering the state of servers being light in population, I see a lack of lower lvl mats and even the high end materials are rare at times.

I provide for myself in every craft through each gathering on my chars.

It's tedious and costly(mostly time though, creds are easy to get).

Doing business is difficult simply because the pool of players ( the market ) is low to begin with, which is actually a far bigger issue to be honest then pricing.

At the moment I even have dozens of Mandalorian Iron I can't use, because I picked up UWT missions through things like Investigation and slicing and also simply buying them cheapy of the GTN. Especially both 340 Investigation went so cheaply on my server and still do (usually by the same player) for around 4K. Even though I didn't need them I kept buying them because I know in advance that I'll need them.

However I reckon with how easy gathering goes for me there will come a time that I have such a surplus on stuff, that I'd almost be inclined to just give it away to help out other players. Or just put it on the GTN for very low prices.

This might spell bad news for people looking to make a profit, but really getting creds with just dailies on 1 char each day is incredibly easy. I got 3 chars at 50, I bothered to do the dailies with 2 chars. Imagine when I get to the point of having all 8 adv.classes, have a free day and decide to do the dailies with all them for a whole day, yeaaah.

However I reckon with how easy gathering goes for me there will come a time that I have such a surplus on stuff, that I'd almost be inclined to just give it away to help out other players. Or just put it on the GTN for very low prices.

The OP is talking about goods though, not mats. As a crafter, he'd probably love for you to put your mats up cheap ;)

Mats I've just dumped as well. Though mandy iron? Don't dump that, use it to learn some recipes you wouldn't ordinarily go for, the ones that start blue. See if you can get one to a good 2nd tier purple.

If I have an abundance of X, or X is worthless to me for whatever reason, it's perfectly acceptable to see it for whatever I consider "fair".

Nevertheless, it's economically "stupid" to do so, when the market would consider the price to be higher. Sure, you've got half a dozen Krayt Dragon Scales and a pile of other level 3 mats left over after making all the things you'll ever want. Making something for a skillup (when you could make something else from lesser materials) and then selling it for less than the market price of its components is just doing yourself out of money.

Do you put green items up on the GTN for less than you'd get for them off the vendor?

@LordoftheMoo : I would agree if people would do it on purpose. Most of the time those people have no clue they are killing the market and no clue about the value. Am not referring to a 10% cheaper but selling something 1k while you can sell it 10k is just criminal and totally "stupid" for everyone lol....

@others : True raw mat usually tend to make a bigger profit. As a crafter, I usually give for free a good equipment to the people I play with in a group. This is good business for me and hopefully they would contact me for more gears. Am not sure anymore though, maybe am too idealistic lol.

@SintLuciferNL : yes agreed, most of the time it works, but when someone put 10x the same orange item for 1k credit, well, not anymore. We should put a rule there preventing people to screw the system lol

The other thing is that I realized green items reaching level 25 + almost never sell at high price and it is very difficult to get good value for purple items for mid levels. First it cost money to produce and you want to generate a good profit, second, players tend to change frequently items so wont invest much. Maybe I should stick to blue and stop trying to RE them lol.

But back to my original post, I wish there could be a Guild to contact those people and teach them how to do business...:=)

Well i did a little experiment.

I have synthweaving at 400. Created 2 light armor orange gear (both the same)

Put them on the GTN

#1 for 2500

#2 for 25000

Number 2 was sold in a couple of hours. Number 1 is still for sale :p

Heh, that's funny. Obviously someone skipped the cheap stuff, thinking there'd be nothing useful for him there.

Edited by Battilea

@others : True raw mat usually tend to make a bigger profit. As a crafter, I usually give for free a good equipment to the people I play with in a group. This is good business for me and hopefully they would contact me for more gears. Am not sure anymore though, maybe am too idealistic lol.

Nah, that's just advertising. And you are also applying some psychology. Sort of like how car salesmen offers you a discount, because it leaves you feeling that you owe them something, builds trust and such, thereby making it easier for them to sell you a car.

You give them free stuff, they want new gear and automatically think of you, plus they sort of owe you, you gave them free stuff. And obviously you're a fair guy, because you gave them free stuff, so not out to rip them off.

Edited by Battilea

People are ignorant when it comes to the GTN.

On my server Mandalorian Iron sells on the GTN for 15-20k on a regular basis. Yet, we can't sell a purple mod we make for more than 25k. As it will sit on the market for weeks at a time and never sells. Yet it takes us 4 Mandalorian Irons to make the Armoring Mod. And considering each Mandolorian Iron sells on average for 17k, you do the math.

It's more profitably to sell the Mats than the crafted Mods. Because no one in their right mind will buy a level 49 purple Armoring mod for 75k. But yet, they will pay 80k for the Mats to make it themselves...lol

It's more profitably to sell the Mats than the crafted Mods. Because no one in their right mind will buy a level 49 purple Armoring mod for 75k. But yet, they will pay 80k for the Mats to make it themselves...lol

Well, do keep in mind that that case is a bit special. You've got other goods, like armor and earrings, dragging the price of iron up. And you've got the dailies driving the price of mods down. Especially armor mods, since you can get level 50 ones for 8 daily comms, plus one of the dailies gives you a 49 purple one.

The 49 mod market is just screwed due to dailies. About the only one that might sell decently is cunning mods (not the armor ones), since everyone has their cunning based healing companion and the cunning based classes are the least played ones.

Edited by Battilea

I am not here to tell anyone to do anything, this is everyone responsibility. However, please be careful on your pricing and what you do to ensure you do not endanger GTN market price.

- Before putting on GTN an item you have RE, check the approx price of individual Mats. Happened to see some items listed at 2450 while it required like 5 Dragon Krayt MAT to build and each of them would cost you between 1k to 5k each ! This means the item you are selling 2.5k could cost you up to 25k to produce and not only you loose 22k in the operation but you totally destroy GTN market price list

2) Orange item

Same here and before you put on sell a nice orange item you learned from a schematic, check its market price please. I now see crafters putting some level 39 Phobium item at 1779 ! OMG !!!!! You could sell this from 10k to 25k at least......

While I am totally open for a sane competition between crafters, being cheaper is always good for the customer of course, we are all here to do business so please be careful....:=)

Same would go in combat where you would expect people to behave and play properly right ? While it goes same here.

Wondering what we can do...and I am afraid nothing much....

Maybe we should create a Merchant Guild like in old time and control GTN pricing...

Any suggestion before I start to cry because on non experienced players destroying a great economy market.....:=)

STOP!! I troll my GTN all the time for people like this. It's amazing how much money I've made buying cheap items and mats and then reselling them for decent Prices. One of my Chars is sitting on 135 million Credits right now :p

There was a similar thread to this yesterday.

I gather everything, I've no need to check mat prices and I sell for that I want to sell at without a desire to exploit everyone else for as many credits as I can get from them.

When selling I always accept the price the GTN-system suggests.

Honestly - I play the game for the story. I don't have the time nor the interest of studying the price-market.

I just see that I would gain more to sell it over GTN instead of selling it to a vendor. That's enough for me.

I understand the problem of the OP, but honestly - I don't care. (I really don't mean that offensive - for me it's just a game; If I have to start "studying"... it feels like "work" and not "fun" anymore.)

Edited by pipehacker

Honestly - I play the game for the story. I don't have the time nor the interest of studying the price-market.

I just see that I would gain more to sell it over GTN instead of selling it to a vendor. That's enough for me.

I understand the problem of the OP, but honestly - I don't care. (I really don't mean that offensive - for me it's just a game; If I have to start "studying"... it feels like "work" and not "fun" anymore.)

Seconded, I really can't be bothered with GTN analysis. If it sells, yay, if not then meh. I'm not going to change just because someone wants to make a bigger profit.

Someone was crashing the lower level (41 and under) purple implant market last weekend, selling them for 8k or less. I just bought everything he put up, relisted for 10k higher or more, and ended up with a million profit for next to no effort over 3 days.

People are dumb. The best way to stabilize prices is just to start flipping.

People are ignorant when it comes to the GTN.

On my server Mandalorian Iron sells on the GTN for 15-20k on a regular basis. Yet, we can't sell a purple mod we make for more than 25k. As it will sit on the market for weeks at a time and never sells. Yet it takes us 4 Mandalorian Irons to make the Armoring Mod. And considering each Mandolorian Iron sells on average for 17k, you do the math.

Blame the free mods you get from leveling and dailies. They need to either raise the commendation cost, or lower the mat requirements. Mods, armoring, enhancements etc are going to be poor profit until then.

Part of the problem is mando iron is used for more than mods. For example, with 4 iron, you can make a mod, an armoring, or 2 missile ship components. 2 ship pieces sell for more than the armoring, so that's what the iron is worth. Sure, you could make it into mods and come off worse, but that's poor business.

Someone was crashing the lower level (41 and under) purple implant market last weekend, selling them for 8k or less. I just bought everything he put up, relisted for 10k higher or more, and ended up with a million profit for next to no effort over 3 days.

People are dumb. The best way to stabilize prices is just to start flipping.

You simply played it smart m8. The person who sold it is happy and you are happy because you sold it again. It's no different how people buy stuff on the flea market then sell it on the net for more.

And that is fine.

It is doubtfull that if your focus is not in the money making market that you will flood the market with low priced item. If what you are selling is really in high demand you low priced one will be quickly taken off the market either by a lucky buyer or by a shrewed reseller that will see a profit.

If however the price of something crashes for good then it could be because the demand truly crashed. Again some will bet on the fact that the price crash is temorary and will buy the products low to try and sell them high later taking the risk that the market may stay low.

it is all good

OP: I think that you have to figure out what you price you are ready to sell at and if the price go below that then accept that you will not sell. Asking poeple to fix their price is a futile endeavour as 1. only a minority are actually on the boards and 2. If they are satisfied by selling low then no matter what you say they will keep on doing it.

2) Orange item

Buy it and resell for profit. Market PvP!! FLIP IT!!!!

*shrug*

Pricing for as much as you possibly can get encourages competition, and will, long term, result in lower profits. I happen to prefer a long term stable income than a short term glut. Selling hundreds of things for 5k is far better than 20 for 10k, and then hundreds for 2k.

Half the reason I picked up the tradeskills on my alts I picked up was because the available stuff on the GTN was priced at your "25k" figure, and not at (what I consider) a more reasonable figure. One thing I've noticed in MMO's. Most crafters tend to dramatically overvalue their skill.

As for selling the orange lvl 39 item in question for 25k? That is DEFINITELY screaming to encourage competition. It probably doesn't cost much more than that to actually get the skill up, buy the schematic, and make the item themselves. And once they do? Well, they'll have the skill now... may as well make other stuff to sell too. There goes your market.

People won't tend to "just do it themselves" if it's only moderately "overpriced". When you're selling something at a rediculous profit... they will... and will in turn become additional competition.

There is no destroying a "great economy market," there is only bursting your own bubble of economic exploitation. Here's the thing about mats, just because they're selling on the GTN at one price, does not mean that that is the going rate to acquire said mat. In truth, the GTN price of a mat, even a rare mat, is an already inflated price and is not the cost that a crafter would pay to continually produce an item that uses said mat. Here's the thing, all of those mats can be acquired through crew skill missions at a fraction of what they sell for on the GTN. Even Mandalorian Iron I can get through UT for much cheaper than what they sell for on the GTN. If I'm going to craft anything that uses Mando Iron and hope to make a profit off reselling it, there's no way I'm going to go with the GTN price of Mando Iron.

I love undercutting people on the GTN. The fact is, your prices are probably too high to begin with and while you may get some suckers to buy from you, most people probably avoid the GTN altogether. If you're really so intent on price-fixing, then maybe you should start buying up all the low priced product and reposting it at the higher price. However, you risk ending up with a lot of unsellable product when it doesn't sell and people continue to undercut you.

Then you most likely don't craft. The suggested price for a crafted 49 purple earring, for example, is under half what a single bar of Mandy iron is valued at on my server. It wouldn't even pay for the cost of taking missions to get the iron. Taking suggested values for crafted items is not a viable strategy.

And if you aren't crafting, then a thread on crafted good prices doesn't really apply ;)