Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Training Costs are a Thing of the Past

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Training Costs are a Thing of the Past
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC
12.07.2014 , 08:02 AM | #601
Quote: Originally Posted by Fluxsource View Post
No, an apology because the terrible timing of the combination of the launch of 3.0 to early access (introducing HUGE training costs for both leveling and purchase of skills you previously had for free) and announcing removal of the training costs AFTER a bunch of people have spent significant amount of credits on them. If they were already considering removing these costs, surely they could have seen that this would leave a bad taste in the mouth of the players that lose out because of this? For the sake of a few days, couldn't have come to this conclusion slightly quicker? And now that the mistake has be made, and turning back time isn't an option, at least acknowledging that they've upset the group of players who pre-ordered the expansion by apologizing.

I'm 99% sure this wasn't done deliberately, but it is hard not to feel victimized by this.

Not against free skill training at all, but I am annoyed by the handling of the situation.
I paid for training. I continue to pay for training. There is no bad taste in my mouth.

Credits are pretend. The game is fun. They're changing it in the future to make it easier. I couldn't be happier.

When you go to the gas station and fill up at $3.79 a gallon then tomorrow the price drops to $2.98 because oil is tanking, do you go ask for a refund?

Were I they, I would tell you all that I've reconsidered. Due to all the angst on the forums, it seems like the better course of action to have never removed the training fees. Had they never removed the training fees, nobody would be wailing or gnashing their teeth over refunds / compensation.

Y'all come off like a bunch of spoiled brat pre-teens. Stop it. Grow some self-respect.

Victimized? You have absolutely NO CLUE what victimization is. Can you breathe?

MorgenBlue
12.07.2014 , 08:34 AM | #602
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I paid for training. I continue to pay for training. There is no bad taste in my mouth.

Credits are pretend. The game is fun. They're changing it in the future to make it easier. I couldn't be happier.

When you go to the gas station and fill up at $3.79 a gallon then tomorrow the price drops to $2.98 because oil is tanking, do you go ask for a refund?

Were I they, I would tell you all that I've reconsidered. Due to all the angst on the forums, it seems like the better course of action to have never removed the training fees. Had they never removed the training fees, nobody would be wailing or gnashing their teeth over refunds / compensation.

Y'all come off like a bunch of spoiled brat pre-teens. Stop it. Grow some self-respect.

Your analogy is flawed because that's real money and you expect the prices to change. Like you said this is pretend money, and while Bioware aren't required to give us a refund of the training costs it's just about treating some of your most dedicated players right.

AlrikFassbauer
12.07.2014 , 08:41 AM | #603
I mean - in-game money is something VIRTUAL.

To me, it is just silly to be angry about bits & bytes that are basically nothing but electricity / current streams on magnetic or otherwise storage mediums.

If this was RL money, then it would be a totally different thing - but something in-game ???

Those who are complaining are acting as if this "training money" was RL money. And that's a point I just cannot understand ...

(And that's why I'm so much careful with Caretl Packs : I personally hate RL money getting into an virtual environment, in general ...)
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

LordArtemis
12.07.2014 , 08:52 AM | #604
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
You missed my suggestion for Hypercrates... I think a 24 pack Hypercrate would allow us to make up some of the credits spent
Is that a serious suggestion? it seems to me those things are FAR to expensive to be considered a reasonable trade for the credits lost.

If you are truly serious, I will add it to the list.

Fluxsource
12.07.2014 , 09:00 AM | #605

Your analogy is flawed. A better one would be that they hike the price of fuel, while simultaneously draining your fuel tank. Sure, you can not fill up again, on the of chance that it'll be cheaper for free in the future. But what are the chances of that happening? Oh wait, three days later...

I'm all for removing the training fees. A great move - they're not a particularly effective money sink as they're no recurring. EXCEPT in this instance, where we had to pay for skills we had owned previous to the patch. Yes, it's virtual currency, but that takes time to gather. We pay for that time. It has value to us.

Finally, on to the personal attack. Don't you dare tell me that I don't know what victimization is. You have absolutely no idea what my background is, or what I've gone through. Please keep your condescension to yourself.

MorgenBlue
12.07.2014 , 09:00 AM | #606
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I mean - in-game money is something VIRTUAL.

To me, it is just silly to be angry about bits & bytes that are basically nothing but electricity / current streams on magnetic or otherwise storage mediums.

If this was RL money, then it would be a totally different thing - but something in-game ???

Those who are complaining are acting as if this "training money" was RL money. And that's a point I just cannot understand ...

(And that's why I'm so much careful with Caretl Packs : I personally hate RL money getting into an virtual environment, in general ...)
It's a virtual item yes, but it still takes time (or money if you just get credits with CCs) to earn them. Whole businesses are built around selling virtual things on the internet.. I mean this game is a virtual item that you pay for and people get upset about games all the time (ME3 ending anyone?).

thejadefalcon
12.07.2014 , 09:01 AM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by TravelersWay View Post
What happened to the fair and equitable treatment of all consumers? Or are you saying that only certain "special" consumers deserve fair treatment from the company? Who are you to determine which costs are outrageous and which ones are "miniscule"?
Seriously? Are you being this aggressive on purpose or were you just born dense? The re-training hit everyone equally. The 56-60 skills did not. I don't care about your daughter. If you didn't pre-order, why are you now crying about her training costs? If she couldn't afford the skills before, by the way, she handles her credits very poorly as low-level characters do make far more than the skills cost.

Edzew
12.07.2014 , 09:02 AM | #608
Quote: Originally Posted by thejadefalcon View Post
This is more regarding the extreme costs of the 56-60 skills than the pre-3.0 ones. Everyone was hit by the pre-3.0 skill changes, only early access was hit by the costs of the others.
the extreme costs were not only limited to levels 56-60. i spent a lil over a million credits when i logged in to my toons to check out how their skill trees have changed. my two level 55s, a level 46, and a couple of mid 30s. i ran out of money to do the rest. the prices were extremely high no matter what level my toons were, they were so high i didnt even bother trying to level anything until i could make some more money.

Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Actually Jade, this one part is not entirely accurate. I didn't even realize that it effects everyone, even those that didn't preorder, as long as they logged in after dec 2. They had to retrain just like the early access folks.
yea it affects everyone. the prices were crazy high on other level toons as well. like i said above the prices affected me so much i couldn't go out and try and level my 55s because i couldn't afford to gear them up after learning their skills and if i did level up i wouldn't be able to learn any new ones.
Click Here for a free inventory slot!!!

DarthTHC
12.07.2014 , 09:06 AM | #609
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgenBlue View Post
Your analogy is flawed because that's real money and you expect the prices to change. Like you said this is pretend money, and while Bioware aren't required to give us a refund of the training costs it's just about treating some of your most dedicated players right.
Treating your most dedicated player right... by giving them a week's worth of early access to content?

The prices of course were going to change. Training costs at each tier higher have always increased. That's exactly what they did this time.

Now you're complaining because they're removing the training cost altogether. They should not have removed the training costs if all it would do is make children whine and complain for yet more free stuff, or because they think they're being treated unfairly by being given stuff for free in the future.

That attitude is pathetic.

thejadefalcon
12.07.2014 , 09:06 AM | #610
Or, they could have announced some form of apology for those who wasted their credits and this thread wouldn't be 60 pages long. We're not asking for hypercrates (well, one guy is), just some sort of acknowledgement. The vast majority of us would be happy with any form of recompense. Hell, an apology would be a start. Just a "sorry, i know this sucks, guys" isn't too hard, but they haven't even done that.