Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Training Costs are a Thing of the Past

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Training Costs are a Thing of the Past
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CrutchCricket's Avatar


CrutchCricket
12.05.2014 , 04:41 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
Just let this be a lesson for future, give someone free stuff, expect lots of mitch and boaning when it gets taken away.....
And this surprises you? Give someone anything then take it away there'll be trouble. You act like that's unfathomable.

If you're gonna give something, let it stay given. It may require more forethought as to what you give. But everyone will be happier in the end.

Anyway I'm here to acknowledge this as a good thing. Sadly I've lost quite a bit of creds to (re)training already but at least it will never be an issue again. I still dislike a lot of things about this patch but this is pretty sweet.

NickJD's Avatar


NickJD
12.05.2014 , 04:41 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Fair question azudelphi! Since the change we are making is a global one, affecting all players and skills, we felt this was a better approach to the overall cost to players. As a result, we will not be providing refunds for the cost of training.

Hope that clarifies our thoughts on the situation.

-eric
Eric,
Since you are taking on "fair questions", then here is a fair question. We were lead to believe that in ordering this exp we would receive benefits and perks that others who did not pre-order would not get. Granted we got 7 days early access, a decoration, etc; however I fail to see how making people that bought this exp as supporters of this game can see having to spend hundreds of thousands or in some cases millions as a perk. This really smacks of bait them in with promises then switch the situation to penalize them for doing so. That is considered fraud by many, so I am just asking for your explanation. Again, just a "fair question" not an accusation of anything.

FalmeseReb's Avatar


FalmeseReb
12.05.2014 , 04:42 PM | #93
so glad I just spent my 2 million credits on training skills then.

justinplainview's Avatar


justinplainview
12.05.2014 , 04:44 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
Now, here is the thing. What happened, happened. No one can time travel back to Dec 2. They had to work with the current situation, and while I understand that it's frustrating for those who already paid training costs in the past couple days, I choose to be realistic: 1) They cannot change the past. No amount of complaining will change that. 2) Offering refunds would most likely open an exploit the size of a barn door. As I see it, the few toons on which training has already been paid for are the very short term price to pay for a very long term positive effect. If people have already leveled all their 16 characters to level 60 in the past 72 hours then I'm really dreadfully sorry, because they apparently have no life beyond this game and not slept for entirely too long.
1. I'm not asking them to change the past. I'm saying that they had x number of months to prepare for this expac and that when 12x XP was a thing, they noticed that people were SUPREMELY happy about free training of abilities. They also had a private beta. They very easily could have found the time to be like YOU KNOW WHAT, WE SHOULD GET RID OF ABILITY COSTS BECAUSE IT IS AN ARCHAIC SYSTEM. You're telling me it took them until day 3 of a new expac when the game has been out for multiple years to see this? If that is the case, that's an entirely different problem.

2. Ways to give refunds: level 60 character achievements dated PRE update that gives free ability training for levels 55-60 get the costs of those abilities refunded. Any abilities before level 55 or any characters leveled after that date don't get refund. There's no opening for exploit there. Also, I don't want cartel coins I don't want a refund of my xpac and I don't want to unsub or threaten to. I just want it clear that this is entirely poor timing and messaging by bioware.

agamemnon-'s Avatar


agamemnon-
12.05.2014 , 04:47 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Perfectly fair IMHO. Freeloaders get enough as it is.
Enough with the labels. F2P people spend money on the CM buying gear and unlocks. They support the game just like us subscribers.

KyaniteD's Avatar


KyaniteD
12.05.2014 , 04:47 PM | #96
I suspect that a refund is technically not feasible and/or that the risk of an exploit is too high (i.e. people holding off training and getting the refund for fully trained level 60s etc.). For a fair refund to everyone, you would need data on the AC, level and trained tier of each ability and when it was trained to figure out how much to refund every character. While the data sure is there *somewhere*, filtering it out and creating an automated refund process may require a tad bit more of those precious development resources and surely wouldn't be done over the weekend, either.

This obviously wasn't planned, it's the quickest fix with the most benefits to most players they could come up with. I'll take what I can get. I'll pay through on my two raid toons for the weekend and wait with the rest.

Quote: Originally Posted by justinplainview View Post
1. I'm not asking them to change the past. I'm saying that they had x number of months to prepare for this expac and that when 12x XP was a thing, they noticed that people were SUPREMELY happy about free training of abilities. They also had a private beta. They very easily could have found the time to be like YOU KNOW WHAT, WE SHOULD GET RID OF ABILITY COSTS BECAUSE IT IS AN ARCHAIC SYSTEM. You're telling me it took them until day 3 of a new expac when the game has been out for multiple years to see this? If that is the case, that's an entirely different problem.
No, you're not asking them to change the past, You're just ranting about about the proverbial spilled milk. It's done. It happened. It's time to figure out what to do. And if refunds were technically easy to do, don't you think that's what they would have done in the first place to fix this?
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
Donate your referral to
Dulfy / MMO-Fashion TORCommunityMe

Phobokos's Avatar


Phobokos
12.05.2014 , 04:49 PM | #97
Wow. 1.3 million dollar screw over. I applaud the fact that you are removing a stupid money sink from the game, especially seeing that the game economy gets unbalanced because of game issues, mostly the CM. However, not to make it retroactive for the early access people is nothing short of a slap in the face. I almost never post anything on these forums and generally enjoy the game, this expansion and services I've received since launch,but this "too bad" response has all but decimated that. Hell, if you're worried about further imbalancing the game economy, give us beta testers a unique bound mount or something. Just to leave us out of it all shows a lack of respect for your customers.

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
12.05.2014 , 04:49 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by agamemnon- View Post
Enough with the labels. F2P people spend money on the CM buying gear and unlocks. They support the game just like us subscribers.
So you claim.

UTlNNl's Avatar


UTlNNl
12.05.2014 , 04:49 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
This obviously wasn't planned, it's the quickest fix with the most benefits to most players they could come up with.
Timing is everything.

icednerves's Avatar


icednerves
12.05.2014 , 04:50 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by NYRfan View Post
Total cost I believe is around 1.1 million credits, but may vary by class. This does not take into account credits earned by questing 55-60 but I had a net loss on my main and one alt, barely broke even on a 2nd alt.
I don't know the total, but I know when I hit lvl 60 on my knight, I spent about 550K just on lvl 60 abilities