Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

alaurin
09.27.2019 , 02:23 PM | #6251
In celebration that we've made it through the week, I give you the new prompt!

Week of September 27, 2019:

Hypocrisy: We’ve covered lying before but this time it’s a special kind of lie: putting up a virtuous front for public accolade while not actually believing in those virtues or actively violating them in private. Nearly every character (and person) engages in some hypocrisy, overlapping with those insidious little white lies told to keep the peace. Have they ever encountered some whoppers? In themselves or others? What did they do? What could they do? Who was involved? What was the outcome? Did anything change? If your character, they might be in for some soul searching assuming they want to atone. They might just as easily fight the one who uncovered them. Write about your character encountering blatant hypocrisy.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyways!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Superstition - Both cultures and individuals can hold superstitions, little practices and beliefs that are supposed to put some spin on reality, make good luck or ill. Then again, some people say it’s all nonsense, and some even tempt fate by crossing superstitious lines. What superstitions does your character hold to? Has any experience seemed to prove or disprove the rule?

Life and Death - Throughout our stories in the game, some NPCs (and some of our own OCs) died and others survived. When did a critical death - or survival - make a difference in your character’s tale?

Kitar
09.27.2019 , 03:48 PM | #6252
Holy smokes, how I wish I had the time... somehow hypocrisy just screams Ka'van to me.... I can't imagine why

Maybe I will actually find the time and the creative spark, to write for that one, over the weekend.

Feldraeth
10.04.2019 , 05:19 AM | #6253
Hey everyone, I'm back and with another story. Hope to read more from Ka'van soon, he's fun.

Prompt: Hypocrisy
Title: The Plan is Working
Perspective: Roan, the Littlest Sith
Word Count: 3,788
Spoilers SW Act I Spoilers
Chronology: post Alderaan

Spoiler

Author’s Notes
Spoiler

alaurin
10.04.2019 , 09:01 PM | #6254
Hope everyone's Friday has been an awesome beginning to the weekend! Unfortunately mine began with doggo barfing in his crate while I was in the shower and ended with me cleaning up even more doggie sick (and other really gross things) before taking him to the vet where he will be spending the night. Anyways, sorry this is a little late in the evening, but hey.....at least it's still Friday so have a prompt and as always, happy writing! As for me, my husband has a much needed beer and movie waiting downstairs.

Week of October 4, 2019:

Happy Place: When your character’s feeling down, frightened, or overwhelmed, where do they go? What’s their “happy place”? Is it a literal, physical location? An actual place they visit that never fails to ground them? Is it an object that brings soothing memories with it? A story, a book, or a piece of music? An activity that helps them refocus? Is their happy place a lie? A bar where they can drink away their feelings, a painful memory that crowds out the new one, a story, song, or activity that distracts but offers no real solace? This week, write about your character’s happy place.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyways!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Food on the Go– Everyone enjoys a quick snack. What’s your character’s favorite? What food stall do they have to hit whenever they’re in town? What take-away meal do they always bring home? What munchies do they pack along for a journey? Far from meaningless detail, something as mundane as food can tell your readers a lot about your character.

Planes, Trains, and Thrantamobiles - It’s a big galaxy out there and we all have to get around somehow. Our characters encounter ticketing, hyperspace calculations, docking fees, late-running rides and more on ships, banthas, landspeeders, thrantas, troop transports, tauntauns, and/or whatever improvised modes of transportation they can get. Write about your character’s transportation experience.

alaurin
10.11.2019 , 02:19 PM | #6255
Happy Friday everyone!! I know I'm happy to have made it through another work week.....time to celebrate that achievement with a drink or 2 but first, a new prompt.

Week of October 11, 2019:

Inappropriate Attire: When has your character arrived for an event in the wrong clothing? Why? Was it a social gaffe? Did they interpret “fancy dress” as a formal affair when what was intended was a costume party? Were they told it was casual but not, apparently, that casual? Maybe they prepared for the wrong conditions–it’s never this hot (or cold!) this time of year! Those shoes seemed like a good idea at the outset but now, not so much. Who would have thought they’d need a high-visibility vest? Or that going armed and armored was such a faux pas? This week write about your character being completely inappropriately attired for the occasion and what happened after.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyway!

Constant Companions– Who’s with your character through all their adventures? Who’s their right hand, the one who’s always there? Who’s Samwise to your Frodo? Why are they there and why do they stay? This week write something featuring the person or people your character relies on.

Heritage and Antiques - Star Wars is full of special things. Old things. Things with personal meaning, things revered as holy. The lightsaber your father wanted you to have when you were old enough. Your grandmother’s silver (ship!) you hope one day to give to your grandchildren. The insignia of your squad’s first commander, the one whose bravery won them a medal and gave your squad its reputation. The holocron that corrupted (or redeemed) your master. What things, places, or heirlooms are special to your character?

Feldraeth
10.19.2019 , 08:53 AM | #6256
Hey everyone, I'm back again with my fortnightly post.

Prompt: Propaganda, Hygiene, Inappropriate Attire, Children, Constant Companions
Title: Cleansing at a mountain Spring
Perspective: Vette, Twi’lek adventuress
Word Count: 3,590
Spoilers: Tatooine SW, Alderaan SW, characters from BH Act I and SI Alderaan, Alderaan Class story
Chronology: Immediately following The Lanthinide Mine

It shall be noted that this contains pervasive nudity that may or may not be used for comedy, drama, symbolism or catharsis

Spoiler

As an aside, I remembered a friend made this a couple of years ago and think this is loosely associated with the story and thus works here. (Trigger Warning! This links to Verizon's Tumblr)

alaurin
10.19.2019 , 12:24 PM | #6257
Apologies for not getting this out yesterday, I so hate being tardy! Alas, it has been a busy week with many distractions...... so no writing time for me unfortunately, however I do have this week's prompt all set to go!

Week of October 18, 2019:

Message in a Bottle: Has your character ever received a message from a stranger? Was it spam, and they decided to mess with the sender? Was it a misdirected communication, meant for someone else? Was it a blind message, sent without knowing who might receive it? What did it say? Maybe your character sent such a message. Did they hope for help? Were they seeking a random connection with someone else curious enough to answer? Open the bottle and write about the message inside.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyway!

Thank You - Gratitude is a big thing. People give thanks for gifts, social niceties, kind words, significant favors, for being offered company or for being left alone. Sometimes there are specific holidays or times dedicated to gratitude, and sometimes it just comes up on the way. What is your character grateful for? Do they admit it?

Vacation - Our characters have traveled hither and thither over a dozen or more planets for work, politics, personal vendettas, and more. But where do they go to relax and what do they do when they’ve got some time to unwind? Write about your character’s vacation time. Prompt courtesy of @alaurin101.

alaurin
11.15.2019 , 06:19 PM | #6258
Many apologies for not updating the weekly prompt, I will remedy that now.

Week of October 25, 2019:

Lost!: Really, really lost. So far off course that they don’t know where the course is, let alone how to get back on it. The compass is gone or broken. The sun or stars are hidden behind the clouds. The radio dead or not receiving signal. How did your character get into this situation? Is is real–as in they are physically lost? Is it metaphorical–they’re in a completely unfamiliar situation with no idea how to get out of it. Most importantly: how are they getting home?

Phobia: From Phobos, the personification of fear in Greek mythology, in English a phobia is more than just being afraid. Phobias are rarely rational. The brain is often eager to label anything as a terrible threat regardless of whether it’s logical. A true phobia can be debilitating, where the sufferer avoids any situation that might trigger their fear. Does your character have such a disability? What about one of their companions or someone they meet? Is it a common or reasonable thing to fear? Something others sympathize with even if they don’t appreciate the severity? Or is it something rare or mundane? Some thing or condition, made all the worse by the fact that literally no one else understands why it provokes such a reaction. How does your character deal with it? How do they help a companion through an episode?

Accommodation: Does your character need something outside what’s considered typical for their species? Are they more at home in enclosed or darkened spaces–or the opposite? A special diet due to allergies or disease? Something more obvious, like ramps instead of stairs or fixtures and handles being at more convenient heights? What about something basic, like being left-handed in a right-handed world?

alaurin
11.15.2019 , 06:21 PM | #6259
Here's another one.....

Week of November 1, 2019:

A Matter of Life and Death: This week the stakes are high. Your character has to intercede or maybe they’re the one in the situation. It’s a matter of life and death. Whose? Why? How did the situation get this serious? Is there any way out? Is it really a Matter of Life and Death or did someone use the distress beacon to order pizza?

Wishes - Wherever our characters go, whatever they do, it’s likely they have an eye on something more. Some people keep their fondest wishes a secret; others announce it to the world. Some wish on a star, a falling leaf, a found coin, or other totems. Some find a way to make it happen, and some haven’t quite reached it yet. Write about your character’s wish.

Hide and Seek - Sometimes our characters need to find something they just don’t have. Sometimes they need to keep something hidden from somebody else. Write about a time your character was hiding, seeking, hidden, or sought.

alaurin
11.15.2019 , 06:23 PM | #6260
Now for last week's prompt....

Week of November 8, 2019:

Wrong side of the Bed: Every character can have an incident that ruins an otherwise decent day. As an author, that’s fun to write. What about those times when they just wake up in a bad mood? No reason, no inciting incident, They’re annoyed from the get-go. Those are usually the days that go from bad to worse. Does someone try to get them out of their funk? Are they usually bright and sunny and this is a noticeable change in disposition? Maybe it’s only a matter of degree and their companions are walking on thinner eggshells. This week, write about a time when your character got up on the wrong side of the bed and what the rest of their day was like.

Defenses - Sometimes our characters defend what’s theirs. Sometimes they defend the things they care about. Sometimes they’re asked to defend things they really don’t like. Whether in combat or conversation, write about your character’s efforts to defend something or someone.

Mea Culpa - Our characters have probably done a lot of wrong or perceived wrong, one way or another. Sometimes they think an apology is necessary. Sometimes they really don’t. Sometimes they may want to apologize even when they didn’t do anything. Sometimes the wronged party accepts it; sometimes they reject it; sometimes they’re not there to hear it. Write about a time when your character or someone they know was prompted to apologize.