Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2

GeorgZoeller

Hi,

I wanted to drop some notes on the changes made to the BioChem profession in the patch (1.1.2) that just went onto the Public Test Server, how they fit in the big picture and how we are proceeding forward with crafting professions in endgame in general.

First off, we removed the requirement to have the BioChem profession to use Energized and Exotech stims and adrenals. This was done to (a) remove pressure of players to pick up BioChem for optimal combat performance and (b) to open up the sale of BioChem products to a larger audience on the Galactic Trade Network.

Additionally, we've reduced the effectiveness of the BioChem exclusive Rakata Stimpacks to be equal to Energized stimpacks. Their intended benefit is the cost savings they provide over time, not an increase in power. We are also in progress of reviewing the creation costs of many consumables in the game against the economic realities (acquisition cost of purple mission materials on our live servers) and will likely make adjustments to these in the future.

It is our intention to gradually, over multiple patches, reduce the impact of situational consumables on endgame combat resolution and shift the factors which determine the outcome of combat more towards personal skill. As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high.

On a more general note about crafting, our changes to make BioChem consumables freely tradeable are just a small first step as part of a larger scale effort to extend our crafting gameplay, for all professions, into the endgame.

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you. Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!

Regards

Georg

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the future content seems promising. However, most of the other crafting professions do not have enough unique max skill level items to craft that compare to PvP gear.

If the expertise stats from PVP gear would be on a mod/armor/enhancement slot and allow players to remove it and place it into crafted gear, there would be a reason to sell orange crafted gear at end game.

thats great news and thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. I know change is slow in a game this size so im glad to see that the ball is rolling to bring crafting up to par.

live long and prosper SWTOR!

Some of the future content seems promising. However, most of the other crafting professions do not have enough unique max skill level items to craft that compare to PvP gear.

If the expertise stats from PVP gear would be on a mod/armor/enhancement slot and allow players to remove it and place it into crafted gear, there would be a reason to sell orange crafted gear at end game.

Why does everyone have to always bring up PvP when he is clearly talking about End Game PvE. Whats wrong with you PvP obsessed people? Also if what you are talking about were to happen would that make every pvper automatically pick whatever craft was capable of doing that so that they wouldn't be forced to be slaved to the market? Only way that works is if mutiple crafting professions had access to this ability and if that is what you wanted to say you left it out of your post.

Please tell me why biochem is the only profession you guys are looking into. Seriously, every other profession is so godawful you would be a completely numbskull to choose it over biochem, yet you guys keep tweaking only biochem.

Armormech, synthweaving, armstech are a complete waste of time due to the fact that nothing you get is unique, every recipe you get can get gained as a full drop by doing hard modes or raids, you guys have put little to know effort into the crafting system. This change to remove the armoring from epics AFFECTS CRAFTING IN NO WAY!

Seriously, how is that even put into the profession changes. There are so many problems with crafting. You guys need to dig deeper and try harder.

I think that's what he was referring to with extractable basemods. personally im liking the look of how things seem to be shaping up with those change.

Please tell me why biochem is the only profession you guys are looking into. Seriously, every other profession is so godawful you would be a completely numbskull to choose it over biochem, yet you guys keep tweaking only biochem.

Armormech, synthweaving, armstech are a complete waste of time due to the fact that nothing you get is unique, every recipe you get can get gained as a full drop by doing hard modes or raids, you guys have put little to know effort into the crafting system. This change to remove the armoring from epics AFFECTS CRAFTING IN NO WAY!

Seriously, how is that even put into the profession changes. There are so many problems with crafting. You guys need to dig deeper and try harder.

Please tell me why you totally skipped the entire LAST 2 Paragraph? Why did you only read about what you wanted with out finishing and then post? Why oh why? They are already doing that its in the LAST PARAGRAPH. Were do these people come from.

Why did they change biobhem right now? Obvious because it is the best right now. So they tweak it right now to make it not mandatory and now the biochemist can sell those exotech stims make some cash consumers can buy them and dont have to be bio chem. Now most people wont switch until the other professions are buffed so they are more attractive but they are totally looking into it. Read next time.

TL;DR cause you have a problem with that obviously. Its on schedule for next major content patch which is when genius? March, cause Im sure you didnt see that either smh.

Edited by Rasheth

Hi,

[...]

Long term, our plan is to evolve Star Wars: The Old Republic’s game economy to a more player driven model, strengthen and improve the GTN and embrace the game’s extensive appearance customization throughout the game. We have a long list of improvements planned for that but we’re also anxious to hear from you. Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!

Regards

Georg

Well I'll be darned, BW actually take crafting seriously and listens to our concerns from the looks of it :p I did not expect that so well done, IMO TOR needs more sandbox features to get some variety from the somewhat exhaustive linear game play and crafting fits the bill rather nicely.

Edited by Neloth

Please tell me why you totally skipped the entire LAST Paragraph? Why did you only read about what you wanted with out finishing and then post? Why oh why? They are already doing that its in the LAST PARAGRAPH. Were do these people come from.

Why did they change biobhem right now? Obvious because it is the best right now. So they tweak it right now to make it not mandatory and now the biochemist can sell those exotech stims make some cash consumers can buy them and dont have to be bio chem. Now most people wont switch until the other professions are buffed so they are more attractive but they are totally looking into it. Read next time

Their last paragraph that is completely vague and says nothing solid about how they plan on fixing any of the the problems crafting actually has?

Get real.

Awesome, the most refreshing info is about the sell-ability of stims. Having to get a specific crafting profession to raid is realy bad. So kudos!

EDIT: on a suggestion note, adding some form of high-end item to crafting that doesnt involve raiding or w/e to aquire would add incentive.

As an example(and before you flame, example and suggestion are two entirely different things) an Armstech could craft a high-end barrel, equal or close to equal to end game quality. Understandably having to many of these would take away the necessity of raiding, so my suggestion is more in line with 1 "item" per profession.

Perhaps this could be chosen by the player, say you can choose 1 out of 4 different schematics for example. This could be held by a quest or something similar. In this scenario however it would have to be BoP, or else you could just combine from different players and get a full "set."

Edited by MariusZane

Critically crafted orange gear is a good way of making armour crafting professions more viable, couple that with the increase in reverse engineering chance, and it would make armour crafting professions the source of potentially better custom gear.

Bioware are doing something it's just not going to happen by next Tuesday.

Too late Bioware, I have already reset artifice for biochem. It's sad that it is the only viable crew skill for PVP. I mean we are talking about unlimited medpacks, adrenals, stimpacks. Even kids will realize biochem users are OP in PVP. I have never played a game with this "reusable" crap. So I didn't choose biochem in the beginning. We bought potions everytime in good old days. I hate this casual mechanic of Swtor. I know it's from Wow which I've never played.

Their last paragraph that is completely vague and says nothing solid about how they plan on fixing any of the the problems crafting actually has?

Get real.

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

Say what?

Obviously if its on schedule for march which is the next major content update fyi. Then they are going to relase patch notes right now are they genius? Read comprehension FTW. They are talking about whats on PTR right now. Have you read 1.1.2 patch notes for PTR yet? Probably not. Lets see its got a ton of balance changes its pretty huge. So. If 1.1.1 sat on ptr for about 2 weeks then released then 1.1.2 probably will also and by that time guess when it will be? Gasp almost March!!

Edited by Rasheth

It is encouraging that the developers have heard the players' issues with crafting and are actively trying to address our concerns. I'm looking forward to seeing the implementation of the crafting tweaks and additions you mentioned.

Also, thank you for keeping the community informed on the reasoning for the Biochem changes and the direction the team intends to go in the future.

Appreciate the longer-term view on developing a more viable player driven economy and, more generally, an effort to develop sustainable/desirable/enjoyable end game content. Increasing demand side market forces (e.g., consumables, individual/guild level prestige items and/or game play influencer) will certainly help.

IMO the economy and end game crafting activities might benefit from item degradation/destruction/loss or time limited gear with damage specific defenses/bonus? I understand the developer's rational for minimal death penalties but the lack of any virtual gear consquenses for death kills market demand. Not saying SWTOR needs an EvE sandbox market where ship and component replacement is an everyday affair but some sort of gameplay mechanic to increase demand for all levels of craftable gear could ensure market viability of crafted items throughout the progression.

What if equipment had a slot with components that degraded or could be destroyed and not repairable? Items with special damage specific mitigation/defense so you could customize for missions that might be high percentage of particular damage dealers? (would love to have a slot for extra mitigation against force lightning........

Great news :) i knew i shouldnt drop my artifice :D

You guys should make the exotic crafting materials tradable also ( biometric crystal alloys et c.)

That would allow ppl to farm and sell them so the crafters that cant farm them (or cant farm as many as they need) are able to obtain them. It would help move a bit the economy cause its quite dead atm considering crafted stuff ( even tho there are loads of recepies that are boe and require those mats)

Critically crafted orange gear is a good way of making armour crafting professions more viable, couple that with the increase in reverse engineering chance, and it would make armour crafting professions the source of potentially better custom gear.

Bioware are doing something it's just not going to happen by next Tuesday.

No, it doesn't make them viable, it makes their gear mandatory. No serious raider or pvper will be wearing the default raid or pvp gear with that patch. Crit crafted oranges will trump them in stats.

Bad move unless they plan to give that gear augment slots too. They should be on par, not better.

Edited by hadoken

What does extract base mods from purples mean?

Currently there are purple items with only 2 of the 3 mod slots actually usable. Moddable items have a "mod" slot, an "enhancement" slot, and a "base" slot. The base mod slot is armoring for all pieces of armor, barrel for blasters, and hilt for melee weapons. These base mods determine the armor rating/weapon damage. Currently the base mod slot is locked and un-moddable. They will be changing that to allow you to upgrade those purple items.

No, it doesn't make them viable, it makes their gear mandatory. No serious raider or pvper will be wearing the default raid or pvp gear with that patch. Crit crafted oranges will trump them in stats.

Bad move unless they plan to give that gear augment slots too. They should be on par, not better.

And why is that bad ? you'll need to craft/buy armors,weapons, implants et c. There is something for every proffesion to craft that would encourage ppl to trade and craft.

Way better than the current afk whole day in war zones crap that we see.

It is our intention to gradually, over multiple patches, reduce the impact of situational consumables on endgame combat resolution and shift the factors which determine the outcome of combat more towards personal skill. As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high.

A bit torn about this because I do think it is a great idea, but at the same time you need to reward players who put in more effort to obtain better gear etc.

Should a brand new 50 be able to compete completely with a PvP player who has full BM gear? Not at all, but if you make it that PvP players have little or very basic upgrades against someone who is completely new 50 then you will be driving players away as well so tred VERY CAREFULLY with this.

I guess I'm more curious as a new player with only 126 armour and damage goes against a BM pvper player who under a new update has.... 130? Vs what we see now as a 126 vs 140? Don't get me wrong an update like that would help Rep players a lot, but the bigger issue still comes down to player numbers on a server in which NO GEAR changes can fix.

And why is that bad ? you'll need to craft/buy armors,weapons, implants et c. There is something for every proffesion to craft that would encourage ppl to trade and craft.

Way better than the current afk whole day in war zones crap that we see.

No you won't. Just the orange stuff from armormechs and synthweavers. None of the stuff they've listed makes the other professions more useful endgame.

I really hope these changes your talking about are major buffs to all the other professions. Crafting is just so flat in this game atm and hope for the best.

Artifice is useless unless you just want a pink light saber and are willing to cough up enough credits. I dont even bother crafting anymore because anything that i can possibly make, can just be replaced by dailies.

Edited by Deresdod