Combat Medic in 2.0

Vepo

Hey peeps,

I've been leveling from 1 to 50 as an Assault Commando and I told myself once the expansion hit I would go Combat Medic as the 5 levels will be easily gained from doing medic like stuffz *flex*

Anyway the point of my thread is to ask the others out there, who have been playing since the Expansion went live from the 9th for those special few (I forgot all about it due to playing another game), is how are you finding Combat Medic since the latest patch/expansion/nerf/buffs?

Also if anyone has a Commando Combat Medic 2.0 build layout please throw it my way so I can get it all done as the talent layout has changed, so my previous build order I was going to go has been modified a bit, but I can also respec if needed if a make a mistake.

Cheers

The changes over all are quite good and were long over due for commandos. With the bolster system PVP is more balanced than ever so commandos, and especially commando medics, can hold their own.

Prior to 2.0 I rarely cracked the top 3 on the scoreboard (based on medals). Now I'm consistantly in the top 2 and that's just from playing for the objectives, not trying to pad stats. With the changes I feel we are more durable and have a couple of new tricks to get out of trouble. A well played commando medic is hard to bring down. We are still not a good 1v1 class (nor are we likely ever to be) but I CAN actually win a lot of 1v1s now where before it was rare. Commandos are not "an easy kill" any more, which is good.

With the changes I think the commando is now (or at least close to being) what the role was supposed to be all along. A healer that can still do some decent DPS. Because of salvation, sages are still going to put out he gaudy heal numbers, and smugglers have their HoTs, so it takes some skill to be effective with the commando medic in straight up healing. This does not means that sages or smugglers are "better". I can still put up big heal numbers too, but I find that those excellent commando AOEs, durability, and other utility skills still make us a useful addition to a WZ.

The long and short of it is that you will find commandos much improved and once again FUN to play in PVP.

EDIT: I almost forgot, as far as the commando build, it's not rocket science. Take the skills that increase healing abilities and any others that suit your play style. I do 5 points in the gunnery tree to get the AIM increase and the kolto bomb increase, the rest of the points all go into the combat medic tree.

Edited by ChicagoBearsFan

I'd be really interested in Endgame PVE feedback. I have a commando medic, campaign geared, but considered a lesser healer in ops groups so I just didn' t play him as much. I'd rather play him than any other of my toons, I enjoyed him the most. So, I'm looking for an excuse to go back to him. What say you endgame op healers?

I'd be really interested in Endgame PVE feedback. I have a commando medic, campaign geared, but considered a lesser healer in ops groups so I just didn' t play him as much. I'd rather play him than any other of my toons, I enjoyed him the most. So, I'm looking for an excuse to go back to him. What say you endgame op healers?

ALL healer classes are very viable in end game PVE. I play both a commando healer and a scoundrel healer in end game HM/NiM ops. We have run 2 commando healers for many ops and have done just fine. (but I find it best to run healers of 2 diff classes usually)

The added HOT to kolto bomb is a very nice upgrade to the skill and the upgrade to trauma probe is a nice addition too. Prior to 2.0 in full 63s I could heal FPs and most ops with hammer shot (greenbeam),kolto bomb, and bacta infusion, barely having to use AMP or MP. If you are geared appropriately and have a good rotation, commando medic is VERY resource friendly, by this I mean you don't run out of ammo.

All in all the commando is a very solid healing class and If well played is a valuable asset to have on ops.

Along with the excellent healing ability and easy resource management, commandos have great utility skills.

Healing Sages and scoundrels have their strengths, but so do commandos.

An added benefit is that by respecing and swapping 4 armor pieces (for set bonus and accuracy) you can easily switch to a very good DPS. :)

I think at times commandos have had an unfair rap of being "inferior" to other healers, but I am convinced it is not due to the class but the player at the KB. Scoundrel and sage have had it easier in the past due to the HOTs at their disposal. Those HOTs really serve as a safety blanket and can make even a bad healer look OK. The big difference with commando is that you have to really play and heal smart. The changes to the CM in 2.0 has only made our life easier as a healer. The hot on KB, longer lasting and more efficient TP, and even the Concussion charge heal make things easier.

In my opinion, commando and scoundrel healers paired up are the best healing team you can have for an ops. I'm not trying to downplay sages, they are good too, but if I had to pick, that's what I would go with.

If you like the commando class and want to heal, don't be afraid to give combat medic a try. It is still has a special place in my heart and is a lot of fun.

Edited by ChicagoBearsFan

How about survivability? Healing numbers mean nothing if you can't survive in RWZ.

Were there any abilities added that help with survivability that have something to do with mechanics? If so, does a smug healer have access to similar ones? If so then the commando is still 2nd/3rd to Smug healers in RWZ

My Commando Medic got even stronger in 2.0. The change to the ammo system and alacrity are really helping with ammo management. I mainly PvP and can easily top 500k healing. I often outheal Scoundrels or Sages or come close behind. I don't usually get guarded but I can survive pretty well on my own. Electro net plus Hold the Line have really improved this.

I don't usually PvE but I healed through the last few bosses of Scum and Villany last night in WH gear at lvl 54. didn't really have any problems either.

Here is the spec I am using

How about survivability? Healing numbers mean nothing if you can't survive in RWZ.

Were there any abilities added that help with survivability that have something to do with mechanics? If so, does a smug healer have access to similar ones? If so then the commando is still 2nd/3rd to Smug healers in RWZ

Commando is still my favorite class, but since I play both commando and scoundrel healers I would have to say that scoundrel is still on top. Commandos are much improved and I think that a well played commando can do OK in ranked, but if I had to pick, I would still go scoundrel. Here is why. Scoundrel has stealth, scamper, and excellent HOTs. HoTs basically mean you can do 2 things a once. You can heal and move, shoot, or start another heal while your HoT is still ticking away. In PVP effective use of HOTs are amazing.

Commandos still edge out the scoundrel in a few areas. Commandos have a slight edge in survivability with a longer lasting shield which also prevents inturrupts. Scoundrel DCs are good but have a very short duration.

Commandos also have the best knock back in the game (concussion charge) where the smuggler has none.

Commandos have more AOEs so they get the slight edge there.

Ectro net and hold the line are excellent skils too when used right.

As far as mobility I think they are about equal.

They both have excellent heals, good mobility, decent defensive cooldowns, good escape mechanics, and excellent AoEs. But I still think the smuggler has the slight edge due to the HOTs which offer greater sustained healing on multiple targets and on the move.

BOTH are great and a lot of fun, don't take this as saying one is "better" but rather simply different. Prior to 2.0 commando was still 2nd class but the new bag of tricks has greatly improved this class.

Try both, you will have fun with the 2 very different styles of play and approach to healing.

Combat Medic/Bodyguard got major buffs in 2.0 Kolto Missile is probably the most OP AOE heal ever now as it will heal more than 4 people because of the new HoT that KM has. and Kolto Shell (or for you commando's Trauma Probe) got a decent buff with it now stacking to 13 instead of 10 (though it needs the pointless talent to get the useful one...) all in all this was a good update for them. I now never run high on heat and my heals got majorly buffed. Im content with the way we play now.

I wanted to jump in here and give some feedback. I think that the Commando Combat Medic is much better for PVE now because of the changes to Kolto bomb give us some heal-over-time, as well as the alacrity change which allows us to cast much more fluidly than before. Alone, the Combat Medic is good, but paired with a Sage for PVE seems to be a sweet-spot right now. I'm really enjoying it, ran through EC HM a few times and plan on finishing up S&V tonight, and they were all quite fun and I did not feel stunted for playing a commando (I used to).