Agent voice accent inconsistenties

ShotByBothSides

Anyone else had this?

My female Agent’s accent sometimes changes from the excellent and slightly posh/60s spy spoof English one, to far less interesting American one. I thought all the bad guys are always English? Perhaps we have been wrong all along ;)

Agents switch accents when undercover.

Anyone else had this?

My female Agent’s accent sometimes changes from the excellent and slightly posh/60s spy spoof English one, to far less interesting American one. I thought all the bad guys are always English? Perhaps we have been wrong all along ;)

Yea, if you didn't spacebar through the story you'd know that Keeper tells you to lose the accent when going undercover to not give away your Imperial ties. It's on purpose.

Yea, if you didn't spacebar through the story you'd know that Keeper tells you to lose the accent when going undercover to not give away your Imperial ties. It's on purpose.

You are making an assumption that is quite incorrect. I have never spacebarred trhough the story, just must have missed that bit of dialigue to an outside distraction. Thank you for the rest of your comment though.

Edited by ShotByBothSides

You are making an assumption that is quite incorrect. I have never spacebarred trhough the story, just must have missed that bit of dialigue to an outside distraction. Thank you for the rest of you comment though.

It's right at the very beginning of the game, when you first arrive on Hutta. You could make a second Agent and rewatch the opening, since the moment happens before you even get control of your character.

You are making an assumption that is quite incorrect. I have never spacebarred trhough the story, just must have missed that bit of dialigue to an outside distraction. Thank you for the rest of your comment though.

Since I was making a new Agent, I took a screenie for you of the exact moment and line where you're told to lose the accent (for verification purposes).

http://i43.tinypic.com/oiszl1.png

I kind of wish there was more accent play with the Agent, given how neat it is when it actually happens.

It's funny how these threads keep cropping up. :) Don't spacebar through your class quests, sheesh.

You know sometimes the kids or wife need attention and people say take off their head phones and ohh miss components of a story line. It happens.

I kinda suspect that people who complain about the accent change tend to be not spacebarring through dialogue or well they wouldn't notice.

The problem I have with this is that it's not consistent. If he/she is supposed to be undercover somewhere, then he/she should drop the accent while in THAT ENTIRE AREA in order not to have that cover blown. It doesn't make sense to lose it for things in the main storyline, then walk up to a random quest giver two feet away and pick the accent back up again. That's not covering your tracks very well.

The problem I have with this is that it's not consistent. If he/she is supposed to be undercover somewhere, then he/she should drop the accent while in THAT ENTIRE AREA in order not to have that cover blown. It doesn't make sense to lose it for things in the main storyline, then walk up to a random quest giver two feet away and pick the accent back up again. That's not covering your tracks very well.

The side quests are the same for all classes, you are not undercover to kill 10 bears for this lady on the street.

Yes the quests are the same, but the game should recognize that you're on the mission is all. I guess it's a bit much and I understand why they didn't do it, but in theory one of the people from your main quest could speak to someone on a side quest and they'd wonder about the difference in accent.

It's a minor peeve.

The female agent drops the accent any time she's dealing with someone from the republic unless it is in the best interests of the mission to use her normal accent (see the mining colony at the start of Act 3). Case in point, when doing Foundary, if you're choosen to speak to the controller of the Foundary when your ship arrives, the agent drops the accent when she gives information that they were delayed due to an imperial patrol.

Yes the quests are the same, but the game should recognize that you're on the mission is all. I guess it's a bit much and I understand why they didn't do it, but in theory one of the people from your main quest could speak to someone on a side quest and they'd wonder about the difference in accent.

It's a minor peeve.

Yes SWTOR perfectly ilustrates why we have such primitave games now. You know this picture: FPS map design in 1993 and in 2010 http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

Same with SWTOR - three or four choices?? When I was a kid, I played RPGs with atleast (atleast!) ten choices for every conversation. Because writing doesn't consume so much money compared to voice acting. L.A. Noire - text based detective quests had so so SO much more details to investigate. Again - doing fancy face recording takes a lot of money and time. Same with FPSes - big explorable maps now take a lot of resources to create - so many different textures, sounds, etc...

Games are now primitive, but atleast they look nice!

That's why a lot of people think that PlayStation 2 era was the gold age of gaming - graphics were pretty decent, but they still didn't cost milions to make, so there were a lot more in games...

A little OT.

Yes SWTOR perfectly ilustrates why we have such primitave games now. You know this picture: FPS map design in 1993 and in 2010 http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

Same with SWTOR - three or four choices?? When I was a kid, I played RPGs with atleast (atleast!) ten choices for every conversation. Because writing doesn't consume so much money compared to voice acting. L.A. Noire - text based detective quests had so so SO much more details to investigate. Again - doing fancy face recording takes a lot of money and time. Same with FPSes - big explorable maps now take a lot of resources to create - so many different textures, sounds, etc...

Games are now primitive, but atleast they look nice!

That's why a lot of people think that PlayStation 2 era was the gold age of gaming - graphics were pretty decent, but they still didn't cost milions to make, so there were a lot more in games...

A little OT.

id like to see something corroborating your assertion that the ps2 era was the "golden age" of gaming...

because i gotta be honest... original nes (FF1, zelda, contra, etc) and pc gaming (mechwarrior, SC, baldur's gate, quake, fallout, etc) in the mid/late 90's is generally held up as the best times for gaming among the folks i know.

here's the thing... old-school rpgs like baldur's gate (one of the best rpgs, but that's only a personal opinion) have fallen out of favor because the cinematic games we have nowadays place the player in the game more effectively by removing alot of the extraneous BS that everyone but the most hardcore gamer really didn't give two ***** about.

can't say i mind it... baldur's gate was once my favorite rpg franchise. however, ive since given that spot to mass effect... simply because i don't have to spend an hour categorizing each individual piece of equipment in some sort of quasi-meta game spreadsheet, just so that the next fight isn't quite as painful as slamming my junk in a sliding glass door.

dumbing things down isn't always a bad thing... there's a limit to how much to dumb it down, but i still prefer my games be an escapist past time... i do enough spreadsheets and data analysis at work, i don't want to do it in my games.

tldr: old school rpgs and fps were fun... but the games today are more fun because they've cut out most of the extra crap that destroyed the sense of immersion/escape.

Edited by Jaidan