Power > Surge stacking

Zarthorn

The suggestion is to have power/surge over crit/surge I think. At least by me it is.

This was already the case before the patch(at least by those that knew what they were doing). It just takes forever because I think the power/surge enhancement comes off the smug/agent headpiece.

So can we all agree the OP is pointless, and that this is a NERF to Surge and dmg in general. And that no amount of stat swapping is going to get your dmg back because you're still going to keep the same amount of surge more than likely anyway because there is NO other choice. NONE...(other than even more worthless defensive stats).

I guess if you had 400 Surge, you my aswell just take 100 off for the accuracy.

But you cannot swap SURGE for more POWER in the current game itemization...PERIOD.

Or you could target the healer and not the one being healed. Interrupt and burn the healer down. Or harass the healer and hope one of your teammates kill the other guy because your attacking the healer.

I should have phrased that differently: "because in pvp it's burst damage that leads to dead bodies." Hope that goes down a little better, dude ;)

And if you're looking for the ideal enhancement mod for pvp, why not just blow WZ points on lvl 46 weapons from the PvP weapon vendor on the fleet, rip out the lvl 45 prototype-grade Endurance/Power/Expertise enchants? Granted, it's not lvl 58 or even lvl 50 but is, by recollection, about +18 endurance +something *insert your class stat here* and plus 25 expertise.

I realize expertise does have diminishing returns that drop off pretty hard but for people not yet in BM/Champ gear this might give them a bit more bang for the buck.

Edited by Jarvus

This was already the case before the patch(at least by those that knew what they were doing). It just takes forever because I think the power/surge enhancement comes off the smug/agent headpiece.

So can we all agree the OP is pointless, and that this is a NERF to Surge and dmg in general. And that no amount of stat swapping is going to get your dmg back because you're still going to keep the same amount of surge more than likely anyway because there is NO other choice. NONE...(other than even more worthless defensive stats).

I guess if you had 400 Surge, you my aswell just take 100 off for the accuracy.

But you cannot swap SURGE for more POWER in the current game itemization...PERIOD.

This. Getting 100 accuracy is now something you might want as an operative, just for the auto attack damage. Gaining 0.4% overall damage (40% crit) going from 400 to 500 surge may be inferior to what you gain from better overall auto attack damage from increased accuracy. I'm not even sure of that though. 100 accuracy is like what, 4% chance to hit? Auto attack would have to do a bit more than 10% of your overall dps for this swap to be effective.

I should have phrased that differently: "because in pvp it's burst damage that leads to dead bodies." Hope that goes down a little better, dude ;)

And if you're looking for the ideal enhancement mod for pvp, why not just blow WZ points on lvl 46 weapons from the PvP weapon vendor on the fleet, rip out the lvl 45 prototype-grade Endurance/Power/Expertise enchants? Granted, it's not lvl 58 or even lvl 50 but is, by recollection, about +18 endurance +something *insert your class stat here* and plus 25 expertise.

I realize expertise does have diminishing returns that drop off pretty hard but for people not yet in BM/Champ gear this might give them a bit more bang for the buck.

Seems like a pretty good suggestion to me for early 50s.

it's universal, fool. dont talk if you dont have a clue. MODS with power instead of crit have lower MAIN STAT than the same level MOD with crit. ENHANCEMENTS only come in power/alacrity, power/accuracy, power/surge at ALL LEVELS

in my gear, a 350 power adrenal only gives me +70 bonus dmg. doesn't dr that bad he says...

Actually you are wrong. Same level mods with 34 power or 34 crit will have the same main stats on them; likewise, mods with 10 power or 10 crit have the same main stats. The only difference is between the 34 power/crit vs the 10 power/crit. The 10 power/crit will obviously have higher main stat then the 34 power/crit.

Don't act like having accuracy is worthless either for some classes, it can still increase your damage as a melee class. Many classes have base defense ratings, and it's a good idea to nullify their base defense rating. Especially against Sorcs or Assassins, because they start with a base 10% defense. If you get a burst skill parried, you will kick yourself in the ***** afterwards. Sometimes it's worth stacking a stat like accuracy to ensure you will never miss the important skills.

Actually you are wrong. Same level mods with 34 power or 34 crit will have the same main stats on them; likewise, mods with 10 power or 10 crit have the same main stats. The only difference is between the 34 power/crit vs the 10 power/crit. The 10 power/crit will obviously have higher main stat then the 34 power/crit.

for example looking at rakata gear on my sage, she has mods in one piece that are level 58 and are

29 end

48 will

37 crit

or

37 end

61 will

11 crit

the latter being my preferred mod. higher main stat > everything

however anything with power looks like this

37 end

61 will

11 power

in this case you'll get more use out of the crit one. 11 power may as well be zero power especially if you are replacing all of your crit enhancements with power/whatever

the other power mod available in this gear is

29 end

48 will

37 power

this has a good amount of power, but drops too much main stat.

with the change today, if you decide to replace your crit/surge enhancements with power/anything, you'll want the 37 crit mods to make up for the loss of crit which may mean the power gain from the enhancement will be cancelled out for the lower main stat on the mod since power also has nasty DR

Edited by Corran

I've known for a while that power stacks well and it's why I never stacked surge in the first place.

I'd sooner take a clean dps boost to my min/max damage any day of the week over trying to squeeze for crit damage.

One of the biggest complaints of most Scoundrels is that they don't do enough damage outside stealth, this is your own fault for focusing entirely on crit/surge and completely ignoring power.

It's almost like people have forgotten entirely what DPS stands for.....Damage Per Second folks, as a DPS class you should always be looking to increase it and not looking to dump everything into an RNG stat that will leave you gimped outside of it.

Edit: Min/Max > RNG anyone that ever played AO will know how important increasing min/max damage was over going for crits only!

What you are missing is that anyone with half a brain already was trying to stack power over surge - I already have as much power as I can possibly have on my OP by ripping out the power/surge and power/accuracy enhancements out of the head and gloves

What people are complaining about is that you cannot balance your stats well now because of the lack of power/crit enhancements - now because of the fact you get surge whenever you get power you end up with more than you need and you do not have a way of changing that.

OP im sorry but you are WAY behind - tons of people (like me) were already prefering power but you always get surge with power....do you not understand?!?!? Sure I can get accuracy but who wants that you get enough with your gear (earpiece,implants etc.)anyways - there really should be a power/crit 56 lvl enhancement - then I could throw in a little crit rating with my power instead of all the surge that is on any gear with power ( BM implants for example) - Then they throw in Crit/Surge enhancements instead???? The crit gains are not worth the power losses on crit/surge enhancements, it could be if I could put power/crit in my other gear but I cannot

Edited by Torn

surge work just fine. I made the game more fun to see large crits!

The Dev's should put it back to the way it was or make it better like setting it to .2% to point of surge you have stacked. This nerfed everyone. and didn't need to be done at all!

Good job making the game less fun Developers!

if we get about 10% + of people that play to rage about this they will switch it back:cool:

So wierd I made four last night.. but yup not in game

yo'ure right i was mistaken

it's a lot of shield, a little power and a little critical

base in the green version is

13 end

28 shield

19 power

19 crit

yeah..nobody is going to replace their rakata power/surge, power/accuracy, power/alacrity mods even with the purple version of that.

yo'ure right i was mistaken

it's a lot of shield, a little power and a little critical

base in the green version is

13 end

28 shield

19 power

19 crit

yeah..nobody is going to replace their rakata power/surge, power/accuracy, power/alacrity mods even with the purple version of that.

But he said he crafted them ! :D

Maybe there are some fools that like these mods, who knows.

I've known for a while that power stacks well and it's why I never stacked surge in the first place.

I'd sooner take a clean dps boost to my min/max damage any day of the week over trying to squeeze for crit damage.

One of the biggest complaints of most Scoundrels is that they don't do enough damage outside stealth, this is your own fault for focusing entirely on crit/surge and completely ignoring power.

It's almost like people have forgotten entirely what DPS stands for.....Damage Per Second folks, as a DPS class you should always be looking to increase it and not looking to dump everything into an RNG stat that will leave you gimped outside of it.

Edit: Min/Max > RNG anyone that ever played AO will know how important increasing min/max damage was over going for crits only!

You do realize some peoples skill trees are based around crits right?. I have over 50% crit chance on my core attacks. Its not just some blue moon occurrence

You do realize some peoples skill trees are based around crits right?. I have over 50% crit chance on my core attacks. Its not just some blue moon occurrence

Basically this

Bio stealth nerfed Operative/Scoundrel harder than every other class this patch because of their high base crit.

I got BM gear now, and many pieces of BM gear have crit/accuracy on it. I just take the mods and enchants from the champion gear and put on BM gear so i get power.

But a good thing to remember is, stack only power-power/surge and no crit/surge isnt good.

You need to find a good balance between power/surge and crit surge. thats the best.

I am oprative btw

Edited by carbocat

lol christ people

this patch does nothing for itemization because as others have said you're still forced to take one of surge/accuracy/alacrity in your enhancements. there is no "stacking power", and there never was, because the best power enhancements will always be saddled with one of those stats, and the mods are main stat/end/power and aren't affected by surge nerf

even post patch, surge is still better than accuracy or alacrity for most dps builds, so in effect this patch did nothing except nerf crits all around and make rakata surge adrenal obsolete

if you were in full surge/power enhancement before there is no need to swap them out for anything new.

Edited by bicuspid

lol christ people

this patch does nothing for itemization because as others have said you're still forced to take one of surge/accuracy/alacrity in your enhancements. there is no "stacking power", and there never was, because the best power enhancements will always be saddled with one of those stats, and the mods are main stat/end/power and aren't affected by surge nerf

even post patch, surge is still better than accuracy or alacrity for most dps builds, so in effect this patch did nothing except nerf crits all around and make rakata surge adrenal obsolete

if you were in full surge/power enhancement before there is no need to swap them out for anything new.

^ This

In other words, start using a Rakata Power adrenal with a Power relic without running into the DR wall when using a Surge/crit relic and Surge Adrenal.

Or you can still use the surge/crit relic just use a power adrenal instead of a surge adrenal for more benefit than you would get now with DR pretty much walling your surge figures down.

And yep 70% appears to be the soft cap.