The next steps for the game....increasing it's overall appeal in the market

LordArtemis

I have my own personal ideas on what should come next with respect to widening the games overall appeal in todays MMO market....

1) Minigames

The upcoming GS feature has an obvious "minigame" customization subset that is very interesting, and I would imagine was created, or more accurately added to increase the time sink ability of the feature. Although I questioned the wisdom of complicating what should have been a simple feature and the sharp upgrade curve when it would have been better to keep the playing field more level, I can understand the reasons they might do this.

I would say that there are many more types of minigames Bioware could add to this game to round out the overall appeal.

- Housing of some kind, with a robust interior decoration mechanic (and all of the decorations that come with it)

Coming to the game...hoorah!

- Gambling, Pazaak and swoop racing also come to mind. The latter two can be PVP based, and would still have strong appeal with casual players IMO.

Gambling has been added to the game as an event, still would like to see Pazaak added to the mix.!

2) Rebuild of current space combat feature

A few changes could be made to the current space combat feature to widen it's appeal substantially IMO.

- First, it should have it's own progression system IMO, like the GS feature.

- Second, I would suggest the inclusion of multiplayer ability, since it is basically set up like a group of heroics...this would include turret play and the ability for other players to join you in the pipe in their own ships, up to 3 other players.

3) Expansion of the personal appearance system

I think the metrics support the idea that personal appearance is a pretty important aspect of the game, and very popular obviously with it's playerbase. I would expand on this in the following ways...

- Allow companions to have their appearance altered by using the appearance kiosk, even if in limited form.

- Further refine Orange quality armor by removing all restrictions and have level set by installed mods.

- Convert all Purple and Green moddable armor to level one Orange adaptable armor, also with level set by installed mods.

- Convert all CM armor to level one Orange adaptable armor with level set by mods, so they empty versions would be collectable.

- Return all removed armor from the game either as embargo armor, craftable armor or CM items.

- Convert most if not all craftable armor to level 1 Orange adaptable armor, and weapons to Orange moddable.

- Add the ability to purchase "disguises", holograms that would give the player the appearance of, say, a droid, jawa, wookie, etc. The buff would work all the time except when in conversations or when engaged or flagged for PVP.

- Convert all companion specific armor to orange moddable armor.

- Add red glowing eyes, face and body tattoo patterns, height adjustment and initial equipment appearance options to character creator and appearance modifier.

4) Add a mentoring, or "sidekick" system

This is a good suggestion posed by a few folks in the thread. The general idea is to allow a player to reduce his or her level to the person they wish to "sidekick" so they can level together and receive normal XP rewards with no penalty.

I think this would go a long way toward increasing the game's overall appeal to a wider playerbase.

I would like to hear what others feel could be done to widen the game's overall appeal in the market.

I would also ask folks to take a peek at some of my other suggestions in my sig, see if any are of interest.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we'll see a PVE version of GS once they figure out how to create a crafty AI that's not easily out-thought and outmaneuvered by the hairless apes from Earth.

Also, I approve of the idea of embargoed and removed gear sets. It creates a hint of rarity to some sets 'and' it creates some excitement when they're brought back. Because they will, eventually, be back.

As for the mini-games? Maybe. As long as they don't have any CM attachment in any way.

Add mentoring so I can play with friends without sapping their XP gain.

This more than anything else is a barrier to entry that Bioware needs to eliminate.

Ooh, this is a good one. I might have suggested this in the past, I think I might look to flesh that one out a bit.

In fact, can you flesh out how you think that should work? Maybe I can add it to the OP.

This more than anything else is a barrier to entry that Bioware needs to eliminate.

All MMOs should address this. Only City of Heroes and GW2 actually fix it.

Also, Blizzard has come out and said they now have the tech to temporarily "downlevel" players and their gear so they don't ruin exp or the actual gameplay with a low level friend. It works now(with bugs) in the unannounced Timewalker downgrade with a few dungeons, and will probably be a bigger feature in the new expac when they flesh out where they want to go with it. It's also supposed to work with redoing old raids at level, but no relevant rewards are designed yet.

this game has a long, long way to go

And everyone has their own idea of how it should get there, what the end product should be and how far it has to go.

All these amateur marketing experts can blather all they want, I still put my trust to bioware.

Why?

Well, because there isn't a thing I can do to influence their decisions, and I feel that the game is moving in the right direction ever so slowly (and slowly is fine in an MMO that you plan to play for several years).

Well, because there isn't a thing I can do to influence their decisions, and I feel that the game is moving in the right direction ever so slowly (and slowly is fine in an MMO that you plan to play for several years).

Actually you can... that is one of the reasons this forum and the suggestion forum exists... to give feedback to Bioware about what people want and which road to follow.

One would need a very narrow field of view to pursue a line of development without ever listening to feedback from ones players.

As for tutoring/mentoring:

CoH/CoV had a combination system in place, that simply rocked.

1. you could downsize yourself to match the level of your trainee +1... Brought to SWTOR, it would mean, that my lvl 55 sage could help a fellow lvl 20 scoundrel on their class mission and be brought down to lvl 21 for that purpose. CoHs system automatically locked all skills that you couldn't have at that level and downsized your hp and stuff.

2. you could raise your trainee to match your own level-1... Brought to SWTOR, it would mean, that for a classic 50 operation, I could bring my lvl 55 sage and also the level 20 scoundrel friend of mine, who would then be brought to lvl 54 fot the time... all skills would remain the size, but bolstered to the new level, as would be hp and stuff.

In both cases, the mentor could help the trainee and they would both not suffer the giant exp-penalties that are logically associated with high level difference. Also the mentor would not be able to just faceroll through all the enemies, when downsized, which surely provides more entertainment.

As for the op:

I too am hoping for GS to be given a PvE aspect as well, but I fully understand the PvP-start with it and I am going to play it.

I have my own personal ideas on what should come next with respect to widening the games overall appeal in todays MMO market....

1) Minigames

The upcoming GS feature has an obvious "minigame" customization subset that is very interesting, and I would imagine was created, or more accurately added to increase the time sink ability of the feature. Although I questioned the wisdom of complicating what should have been a simple feature and the sharp upgrade curve when it would have been better to keep the playing field more level, I can understand the reasons they might do this.

I would say that there are many more types of minigames Bioware could add to this game to round out the overall appeal.

- Housing of some kind, with a robust interior decoration mechanic (and all of the decorations that come with it)

- Pazaak and swoop racing also come to mind. The latter two can be PVP based, and would still have strong appeal with casual players IMO.

2) Rebuild of current space combat feature

I'm not bothered by player housing, making the interiors of our ships customisable would be better, mini games would be nice, not sure how you intend Pazaak to be PVP based (you say latter two for a list of two).

Not going to comment on rebuild of space game since it's the next section.

A few changes could be made to the current space combat feature to widen it's appeal substantially IMO.

- First, it should have it's own progression system IMO, like the GS feature.

- Second, I would suggest the inclusion of multiplayer ability, since it is basically set up like a group of heroics...this would include turret play and the ability for other players to join you in the pipe in their own ships, up to 3 other players.

3) Expansion of the personal appearance system

It does have it's own progression, you can only complete various missions with a suitable level of ship gear equiped, admittedly the last tier is ridiculously hard, and most people have concluded unplayable, but it is a system of progression. Possibly GSF's system would work better, but only if they change it enough for you to modify your main ship.

Multiplayer might work, but they would have to work on how you avoid objects like asteroids, at the minute it slightly changes the path you take (but within limits), not sure how it would work if everyone goes slightly different routes around an obstacle.

I think the metrics support the idea that personal appearance is a pretty important aspect of the game, and very popular obviously with it's playerbase. I would expand on this in the following ways...

- Further refine Orange quality armor by removing all restrictions and have level set by installed mods.

- Convert all Purple and Green moddable armor to level one Orange adaptable armor, also with level set by installed mods.

- Convert all CM armor to level one Orange adaptable armor with level set by mods, so they empty versions would be collectable.

- Return all removed armor from the game either as embargo armor, craftable armor or CM items.

- Convert most if not all craftable armor to level 1 Orange adaptable armor, and weapons to Orange moddable.

- Add the ability to purchase "disguises", holograms that would give the player the appearance of, say, a droid, jawa, wookie, etc. The buff would work all the time except when in conversations or when engaged or flagged for PVP.

- Convert all companion specific armor to orange moddable armor.

- Add red glowing eyes, face and body tattoo patterns, height adjustment and initial equipment appearance options to character creator and appearance modifier.

They won't remove all armour restrictions, these requirements are part of an older system true, but they still want you to level up, and these restrictions goad some people into doing so, if you want a specific look, then you have to get to the point were you can wear it.

I would like them to make all purple gear moddable, it's really annoying when you pick up purple gear, only to realise it's not moddable, and so essentially worthless. Green gear isn't worth changing. Craftable armour can't all be moddable, or you wouldn't be able to outfit your companions, not unless you are going to force people to do heroics (for the comms, to exchange for mods to put in gear). The disguises could be fun.

I'm not bothered by player housing, making the interiors of our ships customisable would be better, mini games would be nice, not sure how you intend Pazaak to be PVP based (you say latter two for a list of two).

I expect "PvP-based" would be competing against other people, rather than scripted NPCS.

So taking a step back for second, I think the suggestions given are necessary and relevant, but the marketing and promotion of the game must keep pace. So, along with what has been mentioned ads and promotional campaigns that are visible to those not currently playing need to be amped up.

More ads like this:

Also, continue the Galactic Timeline:

Get gamers thinking about the game and the stories. Give them multiple reason to come check it out.

Check out the link in my signature. It's of a suggestion by me to make that happen.

All MMOs should address this. Only City of Heroes and GW2 actually fix it.

Also, Blizzard has come out and said they now have the tech to temporarily "downlevel" players and their gear so they don't ruin exp or the actual gameplay with a low level friend. It works now(with bugs) in the unannounced Timewalker downgrade with a few dungeons, and will probably be a bigger feature in the new expac when they flesh out where they want to go with it. It's also supposed to work with redoing old raids at level, but no relevant rewards are designed yet.

Everquest 2 upon launch was doing this. The mentoring system. It works great because the person that mentors down gets to keep their gear it just scales to the level they want. it goes in increments in terms of levels so lets say the gap for gaining exp is 10 levels and I am level 19 and my friend is a 55 who wants to help me. He can mentor down until he is within that ten level gap before the lower person loses xp. The metoring system certainly has its perks and wuld be a good addition to SW:TOR.

Loosen up the F2P restrictions a little bit. Read any MMO site's forum and that seems to be people's #1 drawback. I know I just sub to get past it but yeah, lots of people don't want to.

What would the point of loosening it up be? They can get 1-50 without buying a single thing if they so choose.

This company needs to pay its employees so they can continue to develop and produce content for this game. How do you expect them to do that if they don't charge for what they deem is appropriate? I personally P2P just like i did before they even went F2P.

This game already gives so much free vs' so many other games on the market. I just do not understand the mentality.

If you buy a xbox 360 game you pay for it initially and then they have tons of additional content they choose not to put in the game right away so you are nickel & dimed right after or additionally later. If you want to either have the special additional items or additional content releases Example: Borderlands 1 & 2, Fallout#, GTA ##, ect, ect.

Since when is it so hard to pay for a product that people make/produce as their job to support their families?

Edited by Strixs

I think #1 and #3 would be huge for this game. Player customization is a HUGE thing to people, that's why the Cartel Market is successful and mini-games are ideal time fillers. Shooting ranges, card games, co-op or vs. games...there are so many options for this.

Continuing my rant...... sorry please scroll over if you've had enough.

How do you even expect a company to continue to produce quality content, fix bugs, and generally improve gameplay if they cannot retain employees to make it happen.

We all want neat new features and special items ect ect. We want new raids, pvp maps, more battles.

It takes teams of people to create, produce, and quality assure this game.

And now for the roflbbq moment SERIOSUYL!?!?!? COME ON SERIOUSLY ?!?!?!?!? HOW YOU DO YOU ?!?!?! NOT UNDERSTAND?!?!? COME ONE MAN!!!!!!! COME ON !!!!!!!!!