'This item does not support dye modules'

Inzuher

It would seem that Bioware has added a new unnecessary restriction. Before the recent patch it was possible to dye white and green items by adding them to an outfit and subsequently dying the outfit. It allowed you to make cool combinations with simple outfits like this.

This is a completely unnecessary restriction, please fix it.

--------------------------

Let me try to elaborate:

Before it was possible to add a grey, white or green item to and outfit and dye it. Like you can see here with a black dyed Bantha Hide Vest from the Korriban vendor: https://i.imgur.com/wrSNdOI.png

However, since this new patch launched they have made this impossible. Now, when you try to add a dye to a grey, white or green item to an outfit you are unable to open the dye tab. Instead you get this: https://i.imgur.com/SiXZczt.png

And while this is not necessarily a big deal, it is a pointless and annoying limitation. Especially since a lot of these vendor items had some of the simplest designs in the game, enabling you to – for instance – use them like the inner tunic of a robe. Such as this: https://i.imgur.com/FLCJNcf.png

However, you can still match colours to outfit with these items. Now, you just can’t colour them for whatever reason.

I hope that clarifies what I’m taking issue with.

Edited by Inzuher

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that greens no longer do the color match thing?

That cannot be true.. as I have characters with green items in their appearance tabs which in fact looked normal yesterday when I logged in to them. I guess it is possible that they changed code such that any item that cannot be dyed will not color match... but that runs counter to how it has worked in years past.. so it needs to be verified not just taken here-say.

I have not done a new appearance tab since the patch, so I cannot confirm what the OP is saying. I'm guessing though it is either a misunderstanding about how it works, or there could be a bug. I'm going to do an appearance setup today and check this... as we need more information then has been presented so far.

Edited by Andryah

That cannot be true.. as I have characters with green items in their appearance tabs which in fact looked normal yesterday when I logged in to them. I guess it is possible that they changed code such that any item that cannot be dyed will not color match... but that runs counter to how it has worked in years past.. so it needs to be verified not just taken here-say.

I have not done a new appearance tab since the patch, so I cannot confirm what the OP is saying. I'm guessing though it is either a misunderstanding about how it works, or there could be a bug. I'm going to do an appearance setup today and check this... as we need more information then has been presented so far.

I can confirm this. I got a white item dyed on my Imp-side character too, but it won't let me do it with a new character now. The items have an 'This item does not support dye mdoules' text and won't let you add a dye.

Agreed. I'll have to check the next time I log in. That would be a really weird thing for them to do, since color match works even without dye modules. Something for me to ponder at work today... :t_smile:

I can confirm this. I got a white item dyed on my Imp-side character too, but it won't let me do it with a new character now. The items have an 'This item does not support dye mdoules' text and won't let you add a dye.

I'm confused. Are you trying to add the dye to the item, or just color match? :t_confused:

Let me try to elaborate:

Before it was possible to add a grey, white or green item to and outfit and dye it. Like you can see here with a black dyed Bantha Hide Vest from the Korriban vendor: https://i.imgur.com/wrSNdOI.png

However, since this new patch launched they have made this impossible. Now, when you try to add a dye to a grey, white or green item to an outfit you are unable to open the dye tab. Instead you get this: https://i.imgur.com/SiXZczt.png

And while this is not necessarily a big deal, it is a pointless and annoying limitation. Especially since a lot of these vendor items had some of the simplest designs in the game, enabling you to – for instance – use them like the inner tunic of a robe. Such as this: https://i.imgur.com/FLCJNcf.png

However, you can still match colours to outfit with these items. Now, you just can’t colour them for whatever reason.

I hope that clarifies what I’m taking issue with.

Edited by Inzuher

Agreed. I'll have to check the next time I log in. That would be a really weird thing for them to do, since color match works even without dye modules. Something for me to ponder at work today... :t_smile:

My guess is that they still color match (need to confirm) but that the studio closed a loophole where you could apply a item that has no dye slot to a tab and could then apply dye after the fact (which I honestly NEVER do).

There have been a few things about appearance tabs that I think were "loopholes" in the functionality... like being able to apply heavy armor pieces to a light armor wearing character.... so this too may have been one of them and they closed it. I don't know why they would bother though to be honest as they have more important things to be working on... but again.. probably different studio team doing one thing vs another.

Edited by Andryah

Thanks for that.. saves me having to go check. :)

See.. this change I am fine with as it fits what I think they originally intended a couple years ago when they rolled out appearance tabs. But I agree that it does not seem like something they HAD to go fix. It probably has been in their bug queue since they released appearance tabs and it finally reached high enough in the queue to be assigned to staff to act upon.

Thanks for that.. saves me having to go check. :)

See.. this change I am fine with as it fits what I think they originally intended a couple years ago when they rolled out appearance tabs. But I agree that it does not seem like something they HAD to go fix. It probably has been in their bug queue since they released appearance tabs and it finally reached high enough in the queue to be assigned to staff to act upon.

This I"m not fine with. I don't think it was a loophole I think this is a bug. They didn't have the time to add dye slots to the vast amount of green gear so they didn't, but since it could be dyed in the Outfit Designer it retained the functionality. (and somewhere along the way they did say removing weight restrictions in the OD was intentional.)

If being able to dye armor in the OD was a bug and they fixed it, well that's just asinine! The very thought that they would remove a significant quality of life feature that hurt no one, not even themselves when this game is riddled with damaging bugs that have been here since pre-launch makes my blood boil.

The very thought that they would remove a significant quality of life feature that hurt no one, not even themselves...

In fact, it probably allowed them to sell more dye modules. Fixing the bug (if that's what happened) actually hurts the bottom line (though, I doubt it hurts significantly).

Now I'm just glad that I didn't know about this thing that doesn't work anymore.

Edited by AlienEyeTX

Are you saying that greens no longer do the color match thing?

No, he's saying that you no longer can dye them, either directly or by stamping a dye over them in the Outfit Designer. They *SHOULD* still color match. (but honestly, who knows, this patch's SO BUGGY, it'll take them months to take care of things)

My guess is that they still color match (need to confirm) but that the studio closed a loophole where you could apply a item that has no dye slot to a tab and could then apply dye after the fact (which I honestly NEVER do).

There have been a few things about appearance tabs that I think were "loopholes" in the functionality... like being able to apply heavy armor pieces to a light armor wearing character.... so this too may have been one of them and they closed it. I don't know why they would bother though to be honest as they have more important things to be working on... but again.. probably different studio team doing one thing vs another.

Honestly, who are you(or anyone else) to say to me(us) how my(our) character(s) should look like? Some kind of authority?

Why shouldn't a Consular or Agent walk around in Heavy Armor? If someone likes it, more power to them! Besides, Heavy Armor characters have had this exact advantage since 1,0 really. They could wear EVERYTHING in game while Light Armor users could wear LA ONLY! How's that fair?

Edited by Cuiwe

Honestly, who are you(or anyone else) to say to me(us) how my(our) character(s) should look like? Some kind of authority?

Why shouldn't a Consular or Agent walk around in Heavy Armor? If someone likes it, more power to them! Besides, Heavy Armor characters have had this exact advantage since 1,0 really. They could wear EVERYTHING in game while Light Armor users could wear LA ONLY! How's that fair?

Calm down. I was stating my thoughts as to why I think they did what they did (and I also state multiple times that I really do not see the priority for them to change this) ... nowhere in this thread have I stated what you are accusing me of. Sheesh.... you need to relax and stop with the phony accusations. Your issue is with the studio for making this change.. NOT me.

Edited by Andryah

This would be a very bad thing.. Hoping it is a bug.

Well.. some green gear was itemized for dyes, and some were not. No idea at all the reasoning.... other then it's probably just that they never got around to reworking older green items to add the dye slot. And I bet any green item that does have a dye slot is NOT impacted by this.

Edited by Andryah

Calm down. I was stating my thoughts as to why I think they did what they did (and I also state multiple times that I really do not see the priority for them to change this) ... nowhere in this thread have I stated what you are accusing me of. Sheesh.... you need to relax and stop with the phony accusations. Your issue is with the studio for making this change.. NOT me.

Ok. I tried to put words into your mouth / writing. Sorry. You haven't said such a thing, I just magically inferred it.

Besides, the whole idea of a person not being able to wear certain armor because of their profession or background is ridiculous and is total video game logic. It's one of those things common to video games that should really go away.

Wearing armor isn't a skill that needs to be trained and armor classes (heavy, medium, light) an RPG invention.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Besides, the whole idea of a person not being able to wear certain armor because of their profession or background is ridiculous and is total video game logic. It's one of those things common to video games that should really go away.

Wearing armor isn't a skill that needs to be trained and armor classes (heavy, medium, light) an RPG invention.

Well... for SWTOR.. the game already moved that direction years ago with adaptive armor and merging all primary skills to Mastery.

It's just old itemizations from launch that are world drops that had armor classifications and in some cases class restrictions, and I doubt they will ever go back and fix them.

In my case, for those that I have used (from the old armor definitions from launch) are all now available in newer adaptive variants with just color changes.. but since I always dye and color match.. that's a nit to me if they "fix" that loophole as well.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am used to MMOs changing things and recognize that as players we either adapt or perish. I rarely see a change in an MMO that I cannot work around or bypass or forget about and move forward. I simply refuse to be victimized or play victim over game changes.

Edited by Andryah