BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Can Electro Net be purged/removed at all?

From dueling on the PTS because PvP is unplayable with the present bolster bug, Electro Net appears to be uncleanseable, including by Tech-healers. CC-breakers appear to have no effect on it, but I'll do more follow up testing to confirm that.

Also, the damage it does can be pretty hefty on players ignoring it (25% of the health bar gone).

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO! THEY NEVER PLAN ON FIXING ANYTHING...

Their metrics have shown that the people who pay them money are obsessive compulsive and thrive on inaccuracies and unbalanced situations.

They believe that most payers would get bored and quit if they fixed everything.

Either that or the designers are totally incompetent and need to get jobs at the Post Office.

NO! THEY NEVER PLAN ON FIXING ANYTHING...

Their metrics have shown that the people who pay them money are obsessive compulsive and thrive on inaccuracies and unbalanced situations.

They believe that most payers would get bored and quit if they fixed everything.

Either that or the designers are totally incompetent and need to get jobs at the Post Office.

but then i'd never get my mail!!!!!

From dueling on the PTS because PvP is unplayable with the present bolster bug, Electro Net appears to be uncleanseable, including by Tech-healers. CC-breakers appear to have no effect on it, but I'll do more follow up testing to confirm that.

Also, the damage it does can be pretty hefty on players ignoring it (25% of the health bar gone).

What about resilience?

Just saw PTS notes. Whoever thought BW was going to give net to vanguards as well or make net be only 10m is lols.

I was totally wrong about it's cd though. BW *** 90s?

The rest of the changes for commandos is pretty legit. I'm pretty psyched for these changes.

Here's a link to the PTS talent trees. It's not perfect, because there are some number errors and what not, but it gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. Assault commandos look to be *********** amazing now. Especially since alacrity reduces GCD.

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/

Edited by Smashbrother

Just create a new one, do the Hutta quests until you reach lvl 10, go to fleet, use the special terminal at the supplies area, instant ding to 55 with all abilities maxed out, 300 (spammable) coms to buy your full arkanian gear for you and Mako, all that is still better than waiting for a transfer.

i did that, and for some reason it didnt max out all of my Commando specific abilities. and i have no credits, so that plan failed miserable lol

guess i will queue into warzones and try to farm some credits

i just hit 11k on a demo round. LOLWUT

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Tbh if u wanna range dps I say just reroll a slinger/sniper with the buffs and talent changes they have well wow... I saw some nasty hybrids come to mind.... while I srsly only saw 2 hybrids come to mind for the mando/merc( an old dps one that never worked until now with the extra points.) While if u want to heal make a scoundrel/operative b/c from what I read(super iffy info and prob bound to change) it seems like they're going to benefit the most from this whole alacrity change.

Just my opinion of course:o

Tested Electro Net quite extensively in duels on the PTS. The cooldown is 1 minute 30 seconds. If the target moved for the duration of the Net, the damage output was quite significant (almost half their life bar). The opponents were using the same gear as on live servers (Mostly EWH with some WH, min/maxed). My gear was mostly min/maxed WH/EWH Combat Medic gear but using the 2-piece PvE set bonus for 15% crit on Tracer Missile

- Can not be dispelled by Force or Tech cleanse

- If the target uses their CC breaker, the net will remain on them and continue to do its damage however they will be able to use escapes such as leaps, Force Speed, and vanish and the snare component will be removed

- If used on a target with Hydraulic Overrides or Force Shroud active, the net is wasted and goes on cooldown with no effect

- If used on a target at the exact instant that they vanish, the net will pull them out of stealth and work as described

- The target of your net can not activate Force Shroud or Hydraulic Overrides

- A Jugg can activate Saber Reflect while the net is on them but the net's damage will not be reflected

- Casting Electro Net on a Jugg with Saber Reflect active will not reflect the net or its damage back to you

- Rage Juggernauts can still use Obliterate even if the net is on them

- Assassin was not able to use their teleport if affected by the net if I remember correctly

- Electro Net seems to "win" versus Force Leap, i.e. if both players spam both abilities at the start of a duel, or while closing distance towards each other down to 30m the Electro Net will apply first and prevent them from leaping though this may be lag dependant

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I tested duels. I know that they are not representative of real warzone situations but they are a good way to get a feel for the new mechanics.

Despite these drawbacks listed above, the utility is still amazing. If Electro Net was available, I was able to win a lot of 1v1 matchups that were previously almost impossible for Mercs to win on current servers. The cooldown is still far too long for my tastes though.

Overall I am very happy with Merc mobility and eventually I found Arsenal to actually be better than Pyrotech. Power Surge now allows 2 abilities to be instant cast - meaning you'll get two free Tracers and have an almost guaranteed way to set up your Heatseeker and Rail Shot burst, plus 3 Missile Blasts every 6 seconds have made the Merc into a true run-n-gun class. Hydraulic Overrides is available every 30 seconds which is very nice however I feel we are too dependent on the net and if the net is wasted accidentally (for example using it just as an Assassin uses their Shroud) then we were pretty much screwed. Also I think Power Surge should have a short cooldown along the lines of 30 seconds.

Edited by Jenzali

Tested Electro Net quite extensively in duels on the PTS. The cooldown is 1 minute 30 seconds. If the target moved for the duration of the Net, the damage output was quite significant (almost half their life bar). The opponents were using the same gear as on live servers (Mostly EWH with some WH, min/maxed). My gear was mostly min/maxed WH/EWH Combat Medic gear but using the 2-piece PvE set bonus for 15% crit on Tracer Missile

- Can not be dispelled by Force or Tech cleanse

- If the target uses their CC breaker, the net will remain on them and continue to do its damage however they will be able to use escapes such as leaps, Force Speed, and vanish and the snare component will be removed

- If used on a target with Hydraulic Overrides or Force Shroud active, the net is wasted and goes on cooldown with no effect

- If used on a target at the exact instant that they vanish, the net will pull them out of stealth and work as described

- The target of your net can not activate Force Shroud or Hydraulic Overrides

- A Jugg can activate Saber Reflect while the net is on them but the net's damage will not be reflected

- Casting Electro Net on a Jugg with Saber Reflect active will not reflect the net or its damage back to you

- Rage Juggernauts can still use Obliterate even if the net is on them

- Assassin was not able to use their teleport if affected by the net if I remember correctly

- Electro Net seems to "win" versus Force Leap, i.e. if both players spam both abilities at the start of a duel, or while closing distance towards each other down to 30m the Electro Net will apply first and prevent them from leaping though this may be lag dependant

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I tested duels. I know that they are not representative of real warzone situations but they are a good way to get a feel for the new mechanics.

Despite these drawbacks listed above, the utility is still amazing. If Electro Net was available, I was able to win a lot of 1v1 matchups that were previously almost impossible for Mercs to win on current servers. The cooldown is still far too long for my tastes though.

Overall I am very happy with Merc mobility and eventually I found Arsenal to actually be better than Pyrotech. Power Surge now allows 2 abilities to be instant cast - meaning you'll get two free Tracers and have an almost guaranteed way to set up your Heatseeker and Rail Shot burst, plus 3 Missile Blasts every 6 seconds have made the Merc into a true run-n-gun class. Hydraulic Overrides is available every 30 seconds which is very nice however I feel we are too dependent on the net and if the net is wasted accidentally (for example using it just as an Assassin uses their Shroud) then we were pretty much screwed. Also I think Power Surge should have a short cooldown along the lines of 30 seconds.

Wow thanks for that. I think that answered a lot of the major questions I had. Preventing use of resilience/hold the line is pretty important. You mentioned Rage Warriors could still use obliterate, would that increase the damage of the DoT since they were moving?

I agree that the 90s (specced) CD on Tech Override is kind of lame, but the gunnery changes overall look pretty good, for PVE at least. Glad to hear you're doing well in 1v1s in duels though, that brings a lot of hope for me actually.

I still feel like we're behind a little on the curve, but first impressions (purely theory at this point given I can't get a character copy and with bolster being borked atm) lead me to believe we aren't as far behind the curve as we once were.

I think that since CC breaker removes the important portion of the net that our net should have a cooldown along the lines of 30 to 45 seconds. The current cooldown would only make sense if the CC breaker could not remove it. That would be balanced in warzones imo since without this we will still have trouble maintaining distance (let alone keep away multiple melee opponents).

NOTE: Could still use someone to test if it prevents vanish after the CC breaker is used considering the net stays on them, and whether or not the Assassin is able to use Shroud or an Operative can use Dodge.

Anyone have any thoughts on the energy/force absorb on diversion/chaff?

I've really been unable to make it work effectively for me in a fight thus far and I'm wondering if the 2 points would be better spent elsewhere.

It seemed useful in some duels for example vs. Carnage Force Scream, Assassin's Shock, or another Merc but honestly in a warzone dogpile I think it will be too hard to anticipate. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work against the scariest and most predictable abilities like Sniper's Ambush or Assassin's Harnessed Darkness.

Edited by Jenzali

Correction to my above post, Assassins CAN use Force Shroud while net is on them but it doesn't remove the net and they still can't vanish or Force speed unless they use a CC breaker. AFAIK they'll still be broken out of stealth though if the net remains on them.

The point about it being basically on the same CD as most people's CC breaker, and that the CC breaker removes the part that prevents people from escaping is one worth noting. Really sounds like we need a lower CD =/

As long as resilience doesn't cleanse the part that lets them escape, that part is just fine.

if the CC-Breaker removes the slow and allows the target to use sprint/leap or whatever, the skill turn into useliss. :(

Are you even serious? It's the CC break. That the enemy spends on what essentially is a snare. It's amazing. My Gunnery Mando is going to own so many faces with this.

Edited by Helig

Are you even serious? It's the CC break. That the enemy spends on what essentially is a snare. It's amazing. My Gunnery Mando is going to own so many faces with this.

If my shadow needs to stealth out of combat I'll absolutely use it on a snare because it's not just a snare, it's preventing me from stealthing out.

If my shadow needs to stealth out of combat I'll absolutely use it on a snare because it's not just a snare, it's preventing me from stealthing out.

That's assuming you didn't already use it when you got stun locked. This is going to be a tough choice for people. Should you use it when you're stun locked, and then get owned by net later. Or eat stun lock and use cc break for the net. Either way is win for commandos.

That's assuming you didn't already use it when you got stun locked. This is going to be a tough choice for people. Should you use it when you're stun locked, and then get owned by net later. Or eat stun lock and use cc break for the net. Either way is win for commandos.

Eyyyyyyyyyyyup.

It's not noticeably different than the need to save the stealth out to stop a cap or to use it to escape quick and come back, or use it. They're already making that decision every day with resilience.

If net was on a shorter CD it'd be more of a threat, if they're going to use the net now I either need to stealth out or I don't. If I need to stealth out I trinket and stealth out. If I don't need to stealth out then I don't stealth out.

If I'm in a situation where I'm getting stun locked and focused down I'd be an idiot to use a trinket anyway since most likely I'm dead regardless (unless, again I need to stop a cap).

It's not noticeably different than the need to save the stealth out to stop a cap or to use it to escape quick and come back, or use it. They're already making that decision every day with resilience.

If net was on a shorter CD it'd be more of a threat, if they're going to use the net now I either need to stealth out or I don't. If I need to stealth out I trinket and stealth out. If I don't need to stealth out then I don't stealth out.

If I'm in a situation where I'm getting stun locked and focused down I'd be an idiot to use a trinket anyway since most likely I'm dead regardless (unless, again I need to stop a cap).

I don't think the Net is supposed to be the frequently used answer to all problems. It's supposed to be a strong, unique, situational cooldown. Luring what amounts to be one of the most powerful PvP cooldowns in the entire game from the enemy is nothing to scoff at. If you don't see it as useful, then you need to reevaluate your tactics and the tactics of your opponents.

Edit: I'd also like to know if the net prevents sorcs from popping their new invulnerability thingy.

Finally got to test this with a sage from my server (Thanks Erge!). Yes, net also prevents the use of the new invulnerability shield for the duration. Of course, if they have CC breaker available, they can pop this and then use the shield.