@Cross server PVP

civilrant

How is this beneficial?

I play late night 12am to 5am PST.

Once I hit the queue button it takes about 3-5 mins to pop, once the match has ended and i leave the WZ on auto-queue it takes about average of 1 min to get another pop.

In conclusion: I don't consider timers to be a point of concern, even at this hour.

I love the fact that when I log in the a WZ I always find the same people. My server really does have an amazing group of late night PVPers, bother Rep and Imp side.

I enjoy teaming up with the same people and as such have filled my friends list with names that I have met almost exclusively PVPing. I also enjoy getting to know my enemies. I know which ones to focus, I know which ones to avoid and which ones are new to 50 and squishy!!! =D

Knowing the same people have led to some amazing Huttball games and serval civil war games without losing a single turret. This is not something your going to ever see on cross server queues unless its a matter of gear domination which isnt fun for anyone. This will also force people to pre-made, which ruins the game for solo queue. I have seen these effects of cross server PVP when it was added to WoW, and people complained about the same things, complete and unter lack of any team work outside of pre-mades. However if pre-mades are something you would like to see more of. Isnt there a better way to implement a queue for this type of pvp?

so again, where is the benefit?

Cheers

Nirai

***Update*** 02/23/12

For the all the trolls that jumped on me for exploiting other players...

I play on a Heavy population server dominated by the Empire.... I'm a Jedi

Many others below seem to have expressed the same concerns as myself. Others have commented that Queue times, Sadly, not as quick as my server has come to expect. Which of course is unfortunate. But leads to the question that maybe the problem or concerns they have is due to server population.

Many people are concerned with getting rolled all day by premades, and lets face it. This is EXACTLY whats going to happen, because we have all seen it first hand on other games.

Players have expressed a concern bout accountability on cross server, which may be improved with the addition of new or improved mechanics for earning Medals. However, how many times have we seen someone first top on damage done and yet still have the lowest amount of Medals earned on their team..... Not everyone cares about winning.

So in the effort of being productive, how bout some solutions?

*How bout offering free transfers for low population servers?

*Test cross server WZ on low population servers first, review results before implementing on higher populations. (Does this fix the problem, or is it a band aid?)

*Offer a "Local Queue" and cross server queue.

*Limit premades in cross server queues.

I think the biggest issue is that people like the idea of Ilum. It provides same server PVP, but its currently broken, and in its current form has a limited activity time... meaning that there are no ops at off peak hours.

If anyone else has any constructive solutions or legitimate concerns please post them.

Edited by civilrant

I play on Wounds in The Force with Nirai. I pug at those off-peak times as well & there are generally good games to be had. For random groups if there are familiar faces then quality is pretty high . Some days the que is really fast and sometimes gotta wait a bit. I'm very comfortable with this. I will be staying on my server although technically in March01 ? servers (Aus/ NZ/Sg/HK ) that suit my timing will be available for transfer.

On the rare occasion I do play at peak times its insta-pop.

Really low pop server are a different story though and probably need mergers or free transfers in March. I don't really have a problem with cross-realm pvp per say but I think it will destroy the community feel we have.

I for one, would prefer the server's to stay as they are. Cross server WZ's started for me anyway, to get in to a cry baby situation where if you was losing, that player would start ranting at how rubbish everyone was and how you all sucked.

I'd rather stick to same server battles, at least that way you get to know the cry babies and could try and steer clear of them, instead of them becoming even more of an anonymous character from another server somewhere.

I'm on a low pop server, and heres hoping they merge servers and open transfers.

cross server pvp would suck - loss of accountability for playing terrible, trolling, whining and just being a duche for guys on your team. loss of rivalry vs guilds and individual players on the other side.

cross server pvp = the suck.

How is this beneficial?

Once I hit the queue button it takes about 3-5 mins to pop, once the match has ended and i leave the WZ on auto-queue it takes about average of 1 min to get another pop.

In conclusion: I don't consider timers to be a point of concern, even at this hour.

I love the fact that when I log in the a WZ I always find the same people. My server really does have an amazing group of late night PVPers, bother Rep and Imp side.

I enjoy teaming up with the same people and as such have filled my friends list with names that I have met almost exclusively PVPing. I also enjoy getting to know my enemies. I know which ones to focus, I know which ones to avoid and which ones are new to 50 and squishy!!! =D

Knowing the same people have led to some amazing Huttball games and serval civil war games without losing a single turret. This is not something your going to ever see on cross server queues unless its a matter of gear domination which isnt fun for anyone. This will also force people to pre-made, which ruins the game for solo queue. I have seen these effects of cross server PVP when it was added to WoW, and people complained about the same things, complete and unter lack of any team work outside of pre-mades. However if pre-mades are something you would like to see more of. Isnt there a better way to implement a queue for this type of pvp?

Cheers

Nirai

Just because your own a very well pop server doesn't mean its the same for everyone else. World PvP is dead because MMO companies can't police the populace transfer. The only other solution is to force move people from one server to another causing forced name changes.

Quite frankly it seems you just love overpowering an obviously weakened imperial player time slot and don't wish for a much harder challenge. Just a straight up win.

The next logical step after this is to implement a method to chat with your mates on other realms and queue up together for matches.

I look at Illum for example and weep at those who have imbalanced realms. I hope they make that into a cross realm galactic PvP game.

As for WoW, they have a poor game design. Its just new maps of the same game and they no longer care for visual flair experimental game mechanics. They listened to the moronic players screaming for a change and gave them the half finished siege engine mechanics as the cheap asses they were and then listened to the player base screaming for player vs player and not objective type teamwork.

In any case you should take your own advice and make premade group for your self.

How is this beneficial?

Cheers

Nirai

Because YOU like it one way and your population/play times suite YOU... doesn't mean it suites EVERYONE...don't be so selfish that you can't see past your own player...

Just because your own a very well pop server doesn't mean its the same for everyone else. World PvP is dead because MMO companies can't police the populace transfer. The only other solution is to force move people from one server to another causing forced name changes.

Quite frankly it seems you just love overpowering an obviously weakened imperial player time slot and don't wish for a much harder challenge. Just a straight up win.

The next logical step after this is to implement a method to chat with your mates on other realms and queue up together for matches.

I look at Illum for example and weep at those who have imbalanced realms. I hope they make that into a cross realm galactic PvP game.

As for WoW, they have a poor game design. Its just new maps of the same game and they no longer care for visual flair experimental game mechanics. They listened to the moronic players screaming for a change and gave them the half finished siege engine mechanics as the cheap asses they were and then listened to the player base screaming for player vs player and not objective type teamwork.

In any case you should take your own advice and make premade group for your self.

so having to change a few player names is reason enough to not merge low pop servers? the community that single server queues create is vitally important to rivalry, pride, and camaraderie.

it feels like your playing with bots once you start cross server queuing

Edited by contacts

Because YOU like it one way and your population/play times suite YOU... doesn't mean it suites EVERYONE...don't be so selfish that you can't see past your own player...

AND cross server PVP doesn't suit everyone either... Don't be hypocritical.

I'm with the OP on this. I play on two servers, one with a relatively small group of PVPers, one with a very large group. The gameplay difference when solo queuing is staggering. On the 'smaller' server, the PVPers who play at the same times have gotten to know each other, have gotten good fighting each other and learning and countering each others' tricks. New 50s learn fast by following their examples. On the 'bigger' server, solo queueing is nightmarish... in 9 out of 10 teams, people will be focussing on kills only, not playing objectives or playing them very badly indeed. There are so many people that chances of meeting the same ones in a match are a lot smaller, and I see little or no actual teamwork outside of premades.

The second situation is what you'd probably get - and worse - if multiple servers queue for the same warzones. A lot of anonymity, at the expense of teamwork, and PVP matches the lesser for it.

I'm with the OP on this. I play on two servers, one with a relatively small group of PVPers, one with a very large group. The gameplay difference when solo queuing is staggering. On the 'smaller' server, the PVPers who play at the same times have gotten to know each other, have gotten good fighting each other and learning and countering each others' tricks. New 50s learn fast by following their examples. On the 'bigger' server, solo queueing is nightmarish... in 9 out of 10 teams, people will be focussing on kills only, not playing objectives or playing them very badly indeed. There are so many people that chances of meeting the same ones in a match are a lot smaller, and I see little or no actual teamwork outside of premades.

The second situation is what you'd probably get - and worse - if multiple servers queue for the same warzones. A lot of anonymity, at the expense of teamwork, and PVP matches the lesser for it.

Not to mention the lack of accountability, people will be more inclined to medal farm knowing there's a low chance they'll ever meet those people again.

Not to mention the lack of accountability, people will be more inclined to medal farm knowing there's a low chance they'll ever meet those people again.

worse yet cry, complain, and beetch and finally quit early whenever they lose cuz everyone else sucks. when people actually have to stand accountable for that once the war zone ends, those babies learn to shut up quick.

Edited by contacts

worse yet cry, complain, and beetch and finally quit early whenever they lose cuz everyone else sucks. when people actually have to stand accountable for that once the war zone ends, those babies learn to shut up quick.

Soon, quitting WZ will mean getting no gear. And once all those quitters are forced to actually PLAY the games, we'll soon see how '1337' they really are (not at all, in most likelyhood, since they've never learned how to win against strong opponents).

I'm going to enjoy the ensuing tears with unholy glee, I think.

I kinda agree with the OP about the single server thing - mine has a nice subcomminity going as well and it'd be a shame to lose that. However, I understand that it's not the same for everyone and it'd sometimes be nice to get a queue faster during off-peak times.

My hope is that they either add a toggle switch to say whether you want to look outside of the server or not or, alternatively, that it'll automatically switch to cross-server mode after 15 mins or so but prefer same-server until that point if you ask it to.

I currently play on a low pop server. Telos Restoration project. I can can on at any time during the day or night and I will never see a single queue. Our Server died the day patch 1.1 came out. Before that you could get on and play anytime, all the guilds and players knew each other. We had fun, freindly, and very intense match's. Now all the new 50's are quiting or leaving because the pvp pops are so rare they cannot gear up or even stand a chance against the players who hit 50 and got geared before 1.1.

So based off of my current situation would love to see my server warzones pop again at any cost. I and my guild mates and most of our server guilds would do anything to see pvp. And welcome the idea of cross realm pvp if thats what it takes.

Illium is a ghost town, I dont think I have ever seen more then 10 people on the planet.

This dosn't mean we like the idea of cross realm, but welcome it due to the fact alot of us don't have time to re-roll on another server. We enjoy the feel of having rival guilds on the imp side. We were hoping Bioware would get smart and open Server transfers or at least merge some of the low pop servers, or at least offer it to all the low pop servers as an option. But keep the servers togther as far as same time zone, same style (PVP,PVE,RPPVE,RPPVP).

Assuming queue times for same server pvp are minor it follows that:

same server > cross server

Implementing cross server queueing destroys key game play features. It doesn't make sense to destroy these features to compensate for making too many servers.

If certain servers are too low pop to maintain regular queueing then pve grouping is also non existent and planets are empty. Low pop regardless of the games quality makes for an awful experience, cross server pvp is a pathetic band aid fix to a greater all encompassing problem and should be exclusive to rated warzones.

Unexpectedly it seems more people pvp than pve, the pvp in this game is far more enjoyable than wow and the community aspect created by same server pvp is a contributing factor. Unlike the pve which to be perfectly honest is sub par (at least compared to launch cataclysm pve content). It is very important to the life of the game that Bioware does not screw this up.

The potential for negative publicity aside server merging is unquestionably a superior option solving all the problems associated with low pop. Player retention should a priority instead of gaining new subscribers at this stage and merge's would go a long way to increase player satisfaction.

Edited by _Scattered_

Well if you're going into a match as premade you're going to be with players from your server anyway so there will be same if not more sense of "server pride" involved. Going in solo you're not looking for friends anyway, you just want to play the game, so there's not much lost there.

If the ranking system works well enough you're going to find yourself matched up against a small group of players repeatedly anyway after it has time to balance itself out, especially if you play at specific times of the day. The only difference will be they'll be at your skill level, so the rivalry will actually be legit and you'll be fighting for more than bragging rights. If you improve your game you get more skilled opponents, and more rivalries are formed.

On low population servers rated Warzones will be a complete joke; the two premade teams will be ranked one and two. Yeah. The only true reason I can see anyone being against cross server, rated Warzones is they have a stranglehold on PvP in their current server and don't want to face the possibility they might go from king **** to realizing they're just mediocre players like everyone else.

On low population servers rated Warzones will be a complete joke; the two premade teams will be ranked one and two. Yeah. The only true reason I can see anyone being against cross server, rated Warzones is they have a stranglehold on PvP in their current server and don't want to face the possibility they might go from king **** to realizing they're just mediocre players like everyone else.

Why would I want pvp with or against some random who I'll never see again?

I have had many excellent and competitive games with (not just my guild and friends list but familiar names nonetheless) and against people I know, something I do not wish to lose.

Regardless if this cross faction queueing is too wow like I shall most certainly be unsubbing.

I would actually like to see them do what Rift did and group a couple shards together for cross-server queues. You would have a good chance of seeing some of the same people you usually PvP with but at the same time it would give you a chance of not getting steamrolled by the same pre-made every single day.

Why would I want pvp with or against some random who I'll never see again?

Why? Because in all likelyhood there's a better matchup for you waiting on another server. Larger sample size or pool of players to choose from will equal a greater range of skill levels at any given time, closer games, faster queue times, and an all around better experience.