Disappearing skills

donkhalid

I have a lvl 24 smuggler. I use the expanded skill windows. But when my character takes cover, the Cover and Charged Blast lights go out and I can't use these important skills. How did I move things to have that happen, and what can I do to get them back?

what youre seeing is your 'cover bar'. its really pretty useless, just disable it in the preferences- interface section i think- and stick all your moves on the regular bars.

While that is what you're seeing, I disagree about it being useless. When you go into cover this expanded toolbar pops up to cover the top row of your current toolbar. You can turn this off in the options menu in, sorry I forget which tab off the top of my head, where it has a click box for the option "use cover bar".

However, I find this a necessary option to keep active. You have several combat skills that you can only use in cover, and some melee skills that really don't serve any purpose for you in cover... sooo.... cover bar :)

The intended purpose of the cover bar... you load your tool bars with all your normal running around out of cover kind of skills, I leave the ones that I cannot or do not use in cover on the top row. Then you go into cover and load all of your cover-only skills in the cover bar. They're there when you need them, but they don't get in the way if you need to be fighting mobile. It's great and pretty much necessary if you go gunslinger and use cover as a big part of your game, otherwise you're not going to be able to keep all your necessary skills on your toolbars.

Edited by bahdasz

A small piece of advice on the subject: put skils you use in both cover and while running around in the identical position on both cover and "normal" bars. It makes it easier to hit them quickly without searching (or frantically trying to activate the wrong ability).

Heh, says the Scoundrel :D

If you're someone who doesn't use cover a lot, sure, having identical normal and cover bars works out fine.

But as a Gunslinger, you would definitely want to take advantage of the fact that the suite of abilities you use while in cover is NOT the same as the list of abilities you use while running around. Charged Burst, Aimed Shot, Trick Shot, Cover Pulse, etc.

Heh, says the Scoundrel :D

If you're someone who doesn't use cover a lot, sure, having identical normal and cover bars works out fine.

But as a Gunslinger, you would definitely want to take advantage of the fact that the suite of abilities you use while in cover is NOT the same as the list of abilities you use while running around. Charged Burst, Aimed Shot, Trick Shot, Cover Pulse, etc.

Probably fair - I mainly drop to cover to use sabo charge, or avoid getting leaped. I'll also use vital shot, thermal grenade, flyby, flurry of bolts or quick shot in cover too though, depending on what seems appropriate. If I can't reach the guy I need to hurt and don't want to be a free landing site for the airborne classes, dropping to cover can be the best idea.

A small piece of advice on the subject: put skils you use in both cover and while running around in the identical position on both cover and "normal" bars. It makes it easier to hit them quickly without searching (or frantically trying to activate the wrong ability).

i do that with my gunslinger. most of the time i try to stay in cover, but there are sometimes where you just gotta get up and move around. i prefer to be shooting while moving around.

I have a lvl 24 smuggler. I use the expanded skill windows. But when my character takes cover, the Cover and Charged Blast lights go out and I can't use these important skills. How did I move things to have that happen, and what can I do to get them back?

Take cover, open your Abilities list (from game menu tab) and drag and drop the ability you need to the corresponding slot of Cover tab.