If You Have Transferred Servers...

Vithalor

...Please keep in mind one thing, the transfer was voluntary.

Upon logging into my home server tonight, (which is incidentally a target server for five other servers), I was greeted by an endless spamming in General, Shout and Say chats of people complaining about how they were forced to transfer servers.

First off, we, the players, BEGGED Bioware for the OPTION to transfer servers.

Bioware, in an attempt to please us, their customers, gave us the OPTION to transfer servers.

So if you decided to take this OPTION to move, please, don't assault your new server-mates with complaints about how you were "Forced" to do something that was purely your choice to do.

Now I've heard many players say, "But Bioware left us no other choice! It's either transfer or stay on a ghost town server and watch it die."

Only one thing makes a server a Ghost town and that, is players LEAVING the server. So if you like your origin server, by all means, stay, show loyalty to the server that you don't want to see die and stay there, to keep it alive.

Don't blame Bioware for the death of a server, they did not force you to leave, they gave you the option to. Every person who takes that option and leaves, contributes to the death of the server they're leaving.

There have been several mass exodus' from servers, huge guilds bailing to another server in hopes of finding the grass greener on the other side. We make that grass green and if you sour things by coming onto your new server with a bad attitude, you only succeed at making yourself and the other people on that server miserable.

So if you have made the independent choice to take Bioware's OPTIONAL server transfer, please, stop the crying about being forced. You were not forced, threatened, coerced or otherwise. Stop acting like you were.

Just a few words of sanity... I hope they are heeded.

*snip*

So if you have made the independent choice to take Bioware's OPTIONAL server transfer, please, stop the crying about being forced. You were not forced, threatened, coerced or otherwise. Stop acting like you were.

In general I agree. I'm not complaining about transferring, other than the strange glitch where I actually show 9 toons on one of the servers....

That said, I felt that the server transfers were a bit of a false choice. My group discussed staying, for the very reason that everyone one else would leave and we'd have a very light pop server all to ourselves. Then we realized that the servers folks are leaving from are quite likely slated for closure.

Again, I fully agree that the decision to transfer was made by us. We could have stayed anyway and waited the server out.

Actually while Bioware -has- said that some servers will be culled, I highly, highly doubt that all of the servers being offered transfer OFF, will be culled.

Think about it... Take East Coast RP servers as an example. There are, roughly twelve of them, five went to one server, the over five went to another server. I doubt that Bioware plans to cull everything but those two target servers.

I believe it works more like this.... they offered the option to transfer with the intent to cull the LEAST populated of the remaining servers, not all of them.

In other words, the more people leave a server the MORE likely it'll be to get shut down. This may just be my own theory, but I highly doubt that of the twelve East Coast RP servers that Bioware will cut it down to only two remaining. More likely that they will cut it from twelve, to say, six, or maybe four. That way there's room for existing players and a bit of room for growth for new players.

So... if my theory is correct, all the players jumping ship like rats from a sinking vessel, are only making it more likely that their server will be cut.

I agree with you all. The server transfers were voluntary. I did it (stupidly) and it was my choice. Just because the new servers are laggy doesn't mean you can just complain. Its like asking for a cake and after you eat it complaining that it was chocolate instead of yellow.

I agree with you all. The server transfers were voluntary. I did it (stupidly) and it was my choice. Just because the new servers are laggy doesn't mean you can just complain. Its like asking for a cake and after you eat it complaining that it was chocolate instead of yellow.

LOL! Personally, I prefer the metaphor about going to a house of ill repute and then complaining one doesn't feel loved.....;)

I haven't yet had an issue with lag on my server. There's a tiny bit of it on the Fleet that I've seen but, meh, no big.

I believe Bioware has said that they plan to up the server caps on the (destination?) servers, to alleviate any lag.

I left 2 of my characters behind, showing it is not required however one thing I do think is BS is that it checked my character to make sure I dint' have mail and they where ok to xfer it did not check the destination server to make sure my name was not taken, a character name I have used in MMOs for 10+ years and I would not have moved that character had I known there is my only complaint.

Upon logging into my home server tonight, (which is incidentally a target server for five other servers), I was greeted by an endless spamming in General, Shout and Say chats of people complaining about how they were forced to transfer servers.

Bioware, in an attempt to please us, their customers, gave us the OPTION to transfer servers.

Since you're on a destination server, I'll presume you didn't watch your Fleet numbers drop from ~200 to ~10 in less than 12 hours (both Republic and Imperial Fleets) and that you never saw the System messages in bold red letters across your screen every 10 minutes informing you that your server was being encouraged to transfer to another server whose population was literally marginally higher (we're talking a single percentage point).

I have never once complained in chat on the new server about a forced transfer, nor will I.

But that is exactly what it was for those of us who were "offered the opportunity" (yes, that is blatant sarcasm) to move from a well-populated server that always read "heavy" or "standard" to a server with a near-equal population (and there are at least two servers that I know of in that position, both East Coast servers). Those of us on those particular servers did not ask to merge or be moved.

While I understand that there are many on low pop servers who did ask and who are thrilled (as they should be - and kudos to BioWare for listening to them), there are many of us who were literally blindsided and who are asking "what the heck? Why was this done? It makes no sense!" Those questions are justified.

I understand your frustration, but do please understand that there are many of us who are upset with valid reason. This was not voluntary for all players... at least not if we ever wanted to run a flashpoint or operation ever again. As I said, I have not and will not complain in in-game chat. But please do not make the mistake of thinking or saying that all transfers were entirely voluntary or asked for. They were not. Many of us do feel legitimately forced to have had to transfer. It was uncommunicated and very poorly handled by BioWare. But that's no reason why players on destination servers should have to put up with bad attitudes in chat, either.

Soobe makes a very good point, we had no other choice then to move. BW failed about everything they promises the guilds and the players, if they pre-order the game to secure your guildname, characther name etc. :mad: Edited by Desoull

Here's what I'm curious about - I have 6 characters on Flames of the Crucible, and have transferred 2 to The Red Eclipse - because that was the only option available.

My question is, if I leave my other characters were they are, what happens if BioWare decides to close that server?

I live in Australia and the whole reason I chose a European server to begin wtih was the fact it was so lightly populated.

The 3 Asia Pacific servers are usually very heavily populated if not full at the times I want to play and I was worried about lag issues.

So if you decided to take this OPTION to move, please, don't assault your new server-mates with complaints about how you were "Forced" to do something that was purely your choice to do.

Now I've heard many players say, "But Bioware left us no other choice! It's either transfer or stay on a ghost town server and watch it die."

Only one thing makes a server a Ghost town and that, is players LEAVING the server. So if you like your origin server, by all means, stay, show loyalty to the server that you don't want to see die and stay there, to keep it alive.

Don't blame Bioware for the death of a server, they did not force you to leave, they gave you the option to. Every person who takes that option and leaves, contributes to the death of the server they're leaving.

There have been several mass exodus' from servers, huge guilds bailing to another server in hopes of finding the grass greener on the other side. We make that grass green and if you sour things by coming onto your new server with a bad attitude, you only succeed at making yourself and the other people on that server miserable.

All true. I for one am just glad to be on a server with PEOPLE again. My origin server was dead as disco. :D