Why the Prequel Trilogy was TERRIBLE, right here!

Gun_Slinger

There's another thread about this, but I'm not gonna bury this link in there for no one to see. If you want to know why those movies are really just absolutely terrible, from the perspective of a star wars fan, from the perspective of a film critic, and from the perspective of a person who prefers logic to da da, follow this link, and prepare to laugh histerically, and also hate george lucas forever:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Edited by Gun_Slinger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It boils down to a matter of opinion.

I'm a star wars fan, and I like all 6 of the films. Some more then others, but I don't hate any of them.

....... not really. From a technical, story and acting perspective no they are horrible.

From an entertainment perspective sure it's a matter of opinion if you like them.

More like the perspective of a nitpick and a nasally person, and film critics don't give facts they just give their opinion and get paid to do it. You like what you like, and hate what you hate its that simple. Honestly saying someone is stupid, or childish or dumb over a series of movies really needs to see a doctor and get their views straightened out. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

....... not really. From a technical, story and acting perspective no they are horrible.

From an entertainment perspective sure it's a matter of opinion if you like them.

Acting is bad I'll give you that, but I liked the story and the technical aspects of the movie, so no, its still my opinion. I also liked the art direction, and action sequences.

I don't watch star was and expect great acting. I watch Star wars because its a great sci fi film, and honestly, I don't think any of the films have particularly good acting, besides Yoda, and he's a puppet.

But hey, a lot of people don't like it, and its their opinion, and I won't knock it.

Edited by Seductivpancakes

Acting is bad I'll give you that, but I liked the story and the technical aspects of the movie, so no, its still my opinion. I also liked the art direction, and action sequences.

I don't watch star was and expect great acting. I watch Star wars because its a great sci fi film, and honestly, I don't think any of the films have particularly good acting, besides Yoda, and he's a puppet.

But hey, a lot of people don't like it, and its their opinion, and I won't knock it.

Art direction is good. I do have a problem with CG but that's my opinion

As for the story no it's bad Phantom Meance doesn't even follow even a basic story structure and in all of the films the Characters constanlty do things that is out of character for them.

Obi Wan tells Anakin he needs to be patient and not rush into things then he is the one who Jumps out a window to hang onto an assasin droid.

There films are also plauged with plot holes and major plot points that leave the audience going "WHAT?????" Which fans respond with "Oh you have to read the book or you have to know about this"

A movie should be able to stand on it's own espeically if George Lucas wants people to watch them in the order of 1-6 not 4-6 then 1-3.

You know, I skimmed through that thread and I couldn't help but be brought back by a lot of the constant hate of the "PT" and how "bad" it was. I saw the OT before the PT came out, of course. I believe I saw them back in 1996 for the first time when they were "remastered" THX film and sound quality on VHS. The "original" trilogy "One Last time". Then the "Special Editions" came out and I was like...cool, I guess.

What people fail to realize after barring such hate and animosity toward them and CONSTANTLY citing that link as to "Why" you'll hate the PT and GL forever is moot, really. Since if you have NEVER and I repeat NEVER seen any of the movies before and actually watch them in chronological order, they would make a lot better sense instead of this whole "ret conning" being tossed around since it can't be "ret conned" if those were the ones that were SUPPOSED to come first anyway. I don't hate any of the SW movies but there are some I like more then others and I do agree on. Hayden made Anakin seem like a big whiner and kinda killed that role a bit for me, but it's not to say he didn't try his best. I just didn't like it very much. Yes, some of the "falling in love" parts were really dragged out and so on. Jar jar was a dumb character I think too but I think he was put there to appeal to kids and from what I could tell some young kids actually liked him cause he was clumsy. The midichlorian thing added...yeah I think that felt "added" to try and emphasize how "special" Anakin was since "No jedi has had a count that high" before and so on. He likes to cite the "lack" of a main character in Phantom Menace but that's because it's trying to build up to one, in my opinion. It's setting the stage for Anakin and prior to him showing up I'd say it was mostly Qui-Gon and Obi-wan alternating as a main character and Qui Gon filling that role when they hit tatooine until Anakin is picked up and so on. However, they all carry memorable moments for me. Eps 1 had the most intense Lightsaber duel I ever got to see. Eps 2 had the really nifty Jedi battle in the colliseum and Yoda's first time ever in actual combat. Eps 3 had a very "touching" 1 on 1 fight with An/Obi and Mace Windu had a decent one with Sidious...albeit it was kinda lame how quickly he killed the other masters but it kinda cements the whole. "Sidious being the most powerful Sith Lord" type motiff he was going for and how Windu was referred to as being the most gifted, at the time, at lightsaber combat only to be blindsided by Anakin (God, I HATE that Bob Barker! *adam sandler voice*)

In conclusion, you can "hate" the PT all you want and that's fine but you're still here...still playing the game (if not you're just trolling) and probably still paid your money's worth at the box office. The re release in 3D for the PT is questionable but I might still check it out because I like theatre experiences and it's nice to get my hopes up about a floated rumor that if the re release of the SW films in 3D did well that he would make Eps 7 8 and 9. :)

It boils down to a matter of opinion.

I'm a star wars fan, and I like all 6 of the films. Some more then others, but I don't hate any of them.

Don't worry man I'm right there with you. I enjoy all 6 of the films. But of course, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite, 2nd is the Revenge of the Sith. :)

Art direction is good. I do have a problem with CG but that's my opinion

As for the story no it's bad Phantom Meance doesn't even follow even a basic story structure and in all of the films the Characters constanlty do things that is out of character for them.

Obi Wan tells Anakin he needs to be patient and not rush into things then he is the one who Jumps out a window to hang onto an assasin droid.

There films are also plauged with plot holes and major plot points that leave the audience going "WHAT?????" Which fans respond with "Oh you have to read the book or you have to know about this"

A movie should be able to stand on it's own espeically if George Lucas wants people to watch them in the order of 1-6 not 4-6 then 1-3.

There's no such thing as a bad story. Written work goes hand and hand with "art", which is subjective.

I would just say Obi Wan can do it cause he is still the more experience of the two and knows he can handle and knows Anakin will follow him for back up. After all, the Master and padawan needs to be a dynamic duo if they plan on completing missions together while one is still in training.

Well, so basically, you're telling me only Star wars fans have the potential to appreciate the movies in all aspects. Sounds appropriate to me.

There's no such thing as a bad story. Written work goes hand and hand with "art", which is subjective.

I would just say Obi Wan can do it cause he is still the more experience of the two and knows he can handle and knows Anakin will follow him for back up. After all, the Master and padawan needs to be a dynamic duo if they plan on completing missions together while one is still in training.

Well, so basically, you're telling me only Star wars fans have the potential to appreciate the movies in all aspects. Sounds appropriate to me.

no there is defently a thing called a bad story

Go read Full Life Consequences. I would link it myself but i'm at work and it's not liking the link.

Or watch The Happening, The Spirit, Birdemic, Troll 2, The Room and many many more.

Also no not just Star Wars Fans have the potential to like the prequels. My niece and nephew both like it. Plus most Star Wars fans actually don't like it hence the huge backlash against it.

You are also still not understanding the entire character of Obi Wan. Through out the entire 6 movies he is caustios and patient except for those poorly written scenes where he goes against his character.

edit: Also there is NO plot in the Phantom Meance to begin with. I challange you to tell me what the Plot is, Who is the Protaginist, and who is the Antagonist.

Edited by jarjarloves

There can bad storytelling, flat, uninterresting characters, lack of conflict, no development, so on.. There are rules to art too.

I personally wouldn't expect a modern (lets count the prequels as modern) Star Wars film to follow all storytelling canons, to have complicated character development an so on.. It's like we should already be familliar with those characters. Sure, Qui-Gon seems very flat if you watch him in the movies, but if you actually go and read about him in the EU, you realize he is quite interresting (even though the EU doesn't exist for Lucas..)

Its always a matter of opinion.As I see it,the only real issue i ever had with the prequels is midichlorians,and acting(while lame at a couple points,I blame Hayden Christensen)was not bad at all and I honestly found the acting beter than the original trilogy..

Its always a matter of opinion.As I see it,the only real issue i ever had with the prequels is midichlorians,and acting(while lame at a couple points,I blame Hayden Christensen)was not bad at all and I honestly found the acting beter than the original trilogy..

well like I said. Liking the movie IS a matter of opinion as is if you find it fun and entertaining.

However the Quality of it IS NOT a matter of opinion as there are components of it that can actually be measured. Such as story, effects, acting, so on and so on.

well like I said. Liking the movie IS a matter of opinion as is if you find it fun and entertaining.

However the Quality of it IS NOT a matter of opinion as there are components of it that can actually be measured. Such as story, effects, acting, so on and so on.

Well, that is 100% true, considering there is a thing called Twilight... ugh.

Phantom Menace

Plot: Stop the invasion of a innocent planet from that is instigated by the Sith who wish to destroy the Jedi and the Republic.

The whole war was the main plot. Saving the planet from the Trade Federation.

Everything in between, like Darth Sideous and Darth Maul's actions, as well as the finding of Anakin Skywalker is to built up for the rest of the movies to follow up to complete the sequel trilogy of star wars.

I figured this out when I was in 7th grade by the way, long before I considered myself a "star wars fan"

Granted, this was probably better for a book then an actual movie.

And no, as long as someone likes something that is considered art, there's no such thing as bad art. I also dislike Twilight but a lot of people seem to like it, who am I to say that Twilight is a POS as if it was a fact.

Thanks to Red Letter Media I dont even consider the prequels part of the Star Wars Universe anymore. Everything that was stated in those reviews are %100 truth. To me, the only reason those movies were even made was to bulk up George Lucas' bank account.

.... Look what he did with Indiana Jones.

Thanks to Red Letter Media I dont even consider the prequels part of the Star Wars Universe anymore. Everything that was stated in those reviews are %100 truth. To me, the only reason those movies were even made was to bulk up George Lucas' bank account.

.... Look what he did with Indiana Jones.

Email him if you want a pizz roll!

I'm glad some people who actually watched the review responded...seriously though, those of you who said "critics blah blah blah" or "opinion blah blah blah," I would say definitely watch the review. He is not a paid critic, he is an uber fan that analyses the plot, production values, and even uses clips of interview with lucas and others on the production crew, and some production clips. It's pretty objecive, while also being hilarious:

Like when Obi and Qui are on the trade federation ship, contemplating going down to the surface of Naboo. The decision to split up while they do this is addressed hilariously: "It increases your chances of getting caught BY 100%!!!!" Plus some other stuff about not knowing if they would land a whole continent away, etc.

And no, as long as someone likes something that is considered art, there's no such thing as bad art.

Well liking something =/= it having good quality.

There is bad art. Cheap, uncreative and amateuristic. I see it everyday.

I loved the prequels, I basically know episode III by heart, but I do agree, that it's not that good movie-wise. It's not HORRIBLE as OP said, but it's not great. Still, I remeber the the CHAOS in theaters when it was released =)

Well liking something =/= it having good quality.

There is bad art. Cheap, uncreative and amateuristic. I see it everyday.

I loved the prequels, I basically know episode III by heart, but I do agree, that it's not that good movie-wise. It's not HORRIBLE as OP said, but it's not great. Still, I remeber the the CHAOS in theaters when it was released =)

I sort of agree, and when I think there's no such thing as bad art as if someone likes it, even though I hate it, I won't tell that person, "Its bad, and its a fact."

Cause that's the kind of attitude, I receive from most people who don't like the sequels.

And one of my main reasons why I liked the sequels was, Jedis, Jedis, Jedis.

I got hyped when Obi wan talked about the Jedi before they were extinct, and combine this with novels and comics, I was excited to see multiple Jedis on screen.