Optimal Stat Thread - Where did it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryuku-sama

According to Eric Musco in that reddit thread:

Hey Lackey!

I wanted to clarify why it happened. As of right now we temporarily removed the thread as it is possible it had out of date information in it, specifically, coefficients which you received from datamined content. That is why the thread was removed. That being said, we are working right now on a way to formally get you those coefficients so we can ensure you have up to date, and official information to build your guide. We will reinstate the post at that time. Tait will be in touch soon (via forum PM) with more details.

Thanks!

-eric

However, I don't understand why BioWare would delete a thread for having "out of date information" in this context, considering they've never deleted any of the other outdated guides.

Furthermore, I don't understand how the guide contained "coefficients (...) from datamined content," considering the guide only covered existing classes/formulas from live, not the PTS.

It would be nice if Musco/the community team clarified what they meant.

According to Eric Musco in that reddit thread:

However, I don't understand why BioWare would delete a thread for having "out of date information" in this context, considering they've never deleted any of the other outdated guides.

Furthermore, I don't understand how the guide contained "coefficients (...) from datamined content," considering the guide only covered existing classes/formulas from live, not the PTS.

It would be nice if Musco/the community team clarified what they meant.

Technically.. To get said coefficients, you actually need to datamine.

You can actually, with much more work, empirically determine the coefficients.

Not that easily... You don't know any coefficients nor the Standard Damage. So you are missing 3 (F/T)-4 (M/R) variables out of 6 (you have bonus damage and weapon damage if applicable). The equations to actually find the Standard Damage are rather annoying... Then you have to do the calculations backward to have three different gear sets up so you can get three equations to find your coefficients. Way too long and annoying.

Even if the thread did contain datamined coefficients from live, why is that a reason to remove it? As far as I know that is not against the TOS/Rules of Conduct.

It would be nice if the community team explained a little more about the reasons why this thread received action. Should we not talk about datamining of live at all? Is it wrong to post the coefficients we have discovered for theory crafting?

Not that easily... You don't know any coefficients nor the Standard Damage. So you are missing 3 (F/T)-4 (M/R) variables out of 6 (you have bonus damage and weapon damage if applicable). The equations to actually find the Standard Damage are rather annoying... Then you have to do the calculations backward to have three different gear sets up so you can get three equations to find your coefficients. Way too long and annoying.

Except we know standard health already. Is it annoying to calculate all the coefficients this way? Yes, but it's how you do it without looking directly at game files. Now, when the level cap increases and we see the standard health goes up with it, you can easily take an ability for which you know the coefficient won't change and use that to find the new standard health at each level from 61 to 65.

Basically bioware doesn't want any sort of min/maxing or stat optimization going forward. It doesn't fit with the epic story line meta that they are forcing upon us.

Yep. Actually being/wanting to be good at the game doesn't mesh with the "participation medal" style they're adopting so hard.

More like they want people to stop peeking up the game's skirts and just enjoy the shiny exterior.

Pfft. The exterior is full of caked-on makeup and lies.

Speaking of which: http://i.imgur.com/53gc1xe.jpg

Found that in another thread. Critical rating that gives 25% chance is only worth 57% damage. Crit = worthless now? Conversely, will we have to stack it to our eyeballs for the poor builds that rely on crit?

Edited by Diviciacus

Pfft. The exterior is full of caked-on makeup and lies.

Speaking of which: http://i.imgur.com/53gc1xe.jpg

Found that in another thread. Critical rating that gives 25% chance is only worth 57% damage. Crit = worthless now? Conversely, will we have to stack it to our eyeballs for the poor builds that rely on crit?

I think if you paid more attention, rather than knee-jerking, you'd realize that they have a very small pittance of Accuracy as well, and no accuracy. On top of this, main stat contributes to critical rating, and there are things that boost your critical chance as well, like the agent buff (y'know, since they're playing an agent). I wouldn't lose my mind over a single screenshot. Yeah, it could be bad, but you're missing entirely too much information from here (including whether or not they changed the formula yet again).

I think if you paid more attention, rather than knee-jerking, you'd realize that they have a very small pittance of Accuracy as well, and no accuracy. On top of this, main stat contributes to critical rating, and there are things that boost your critical chance as well, like the agent buff (y'know, since they're playing an agent). I wouldn't lose my mind over a single screenshot. Yeah, it could be bad, but you're missing entirely too much information from here (including whether or not they changed the formula yet again).

I'm well aware that more than just crit rating contributes to crit. I'm also well aware that the screenshot I linked has very little accuracy and alacrity; which means almost all of her tertiary stat is in crit chance, meaning the rating must give less returns than it does now. My favorite part is how you told me that I was wrong because LadyInsanity was playing an Agent, which gives 5% crit chance. That makes me in fact more correct because it means whatever crit the premade toon has is worth even less percent chance than my napkin math suggested. (If she has the buff active, that is).

The only missing information from that screenshot is her actual crit rating, which I extrapolated in another thread (based on the live crit rating of my Shadow who has nearly identical crit chance). And notably, we as players had best hope that she didn't have the Agent buff active when she took the screenshot, or crit really will be almost worthless, since she'd have less than 21% crit chance for having approximately half her tertiary stat budget in crit rating.

EDIT: Oh wait, she does. You can barely see the edge of the purple Inquisitor buff in the screenshot, which necessarily means she has the Agent one active as well.

My reaction was hardly knee-jerk; I've been around the MMO block long enough to take a rough guess of what a particular change will mean. In this case, I napkin mathed out much, much lower percentage returns on crit from an equal rating compared to the live game, which was confirmed today: http://www.swtor.com/blog/combat-changes-fallen-empire

It's unlikely crit will be favored for any spec now that the return is so abysmal, unless the conversion rate is different at 65 compared to 60 - which is a possibility but an unlikely one.

Edited by Diviciacus

I'm well aware that more than just crit rating contributes to crit. I'm also well aware that the screenshot I linked has very little accuracy and alacrity; which means almost all of her tertiary stat is in crit chance, meaning the rating must give less returns than it does now. My favorite part is how you told me that I was wrong because LadyInsanity was playing an Agent, which gives 5% crit chance. That makes me in fact more correct because it means whatever crit the premade toon has is worth even less percent chance than my napkin math suggested. (If she has the buff active, that is).

The only missing information from that screenshot is her actual crit rating, which I extrapolated in another thread (based on the live crit rating of my Shadow who has nearly identical crit chance). And notably, we as players had best hope that she didn't have the Agent buff active when she took the screenshot, or crit really will be almost worthless, since she'd have less than 21% crit chance for having approximately half her tertiary stat budget in crit rating.

EDIT: Oh wait, she does. You can barely see the edge of the purple Inquisitor buff in the screenshot, which necessarily means she has the Agent one active as well.

My reaction was hardly knee-jerk; I've been around the MMO block long enough to take a rough guess of what a particular change will mean. In this case, I napkin mathed out much, much lower percentage returns on crit from an equal rating compared to the live game, which was confirmed today: http://www.swtor.com/blog/combat-changes-fallen-empire

It's unlikely crit will be favored for any spec now that the return is so abysmal, unless the conversion rate is different at 65 compared to 60 - which is a possibility but an unlikely one.

Her critical rating is readily visible in the screen, as is her astonishingly low 3044 Mastery. Now, if you also noticed, she's wearing 188 gear, which is strictly worse than the blue gear we have in game at the moment. Let's take it forward a couple of jumps ahead of 204 gear, which should be starter level 65 purple gear, and jump up 24 rating to what's likely to be one of the last tiers of gear we see in the game. You end up with roughly 174 tertiary stat per piece, for a total tertiary budget of 1740, not counting augments. With this change, it may well be very advantageous to stack critical in your augments, but we'll have to see. Either way, their 410 Critical Rating is abysmally low compared to what it could be in 4.0, and their Mastery is equally as abysmally low.

Now, it may also be the case that your critical multiplier is never supposed to hit the levels we're used to right now. I wouldn't doubt it, but it would be nice for it to be a nicer stat for longer, rather than being mostly garbage after the first 4 pieces, like it is with Surge right now. Either way, we don't know what the formula looks like, and it's very possible they smoothed out the return curve so you don't have to swap what enhancements you're using as you continue to get better gear.

tl;dr: Their stats are stupid low and we know almost nothing about formulas that exist in 4.0, so it's really too early to jump to the "crit is going to be bad (again)" conclusion, though it's not unwarranted.

Just as heads up,

The status of the Optimal Stats Post is still up in air.

(Bioware seems to have some major expansion coming out soon that is taking up everyone's time).

Still unknown at this point if it will be restored. The main reason why I haven't posted any other updates was that I was trying to wait until I got an official response one way or another. But with 2 weeks remaining, I felt it was time to at least say something.

Regardless, I am planning on releasing a Knights of the Fallen Empire 4.0 version once I get a handle on all of the changes made and modify the spreadsheet / Code.

So even if the old post never returns, there will be a new post in the near future.

Actually did the maths on it for at least Tactics Vanguards in This Excell Spreadsheet, using the new formulaes figured out from the stream (info found Here).

Also note it assumed level 60, not 65, so the new stuff (jet charge usage, inclusion of the new extra damage on Cell Burst, etc...) wasn't included outside of the stat changes.

End result?

The average crit taken will actually go up a lot. Remember, they figured out that the accuracy requirement for 100% @ 60 dropped from 758 to 632, so you only need 4 enhancements + 3 augments (AKA 636 accuracy) to avoid missing stuff.

This will obviously change depending on spec and especially when you can get better gear because level 65, but its interesting to note that you want at least 400 crit rating.

I also explained the choice of tertiary augments over power or mastery, as we get an extra ~300 mastery from adding Strength/Willpower/Cunning/Aim together instead of only using your main stat, and also no longer losing power to grab crit (so we're sitting at ~2150 in level 60 gear)

Do what you will with this information, but I have reason to believe that crit numbers are actually going to go massively up for what you want - not down.

Edited by TACeMossie