Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor playerbase in a nutshell

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Swtor playerbase in a nutshell

Templock
06.04.2019 , 03:54 PM | #1
No reward = "No reason to do it"
Good reward = "Why are you forcing me to do it?"

Xina_LA
06.04.2019 , 05:03 PM | #2
Well yeah, you can't please everyone, but also, nobody likes a cool reward gated behind content that isn't enjoyable.
This is a game, after all, which is supposed to be fun.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--

TrixxieTriss
06.04.2019 , 09:02 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Templock View Post
No reward = "No reason to do it"
Good reward = "Why are you forcing me to do it?"
This is how I feel and I’m sure many others do too.

No reward to play fun content = “reward not needed”

Good reward to play content I don’t like or can’t play = “pissed off player who feels forced to play it to get something they want or need”

It’s the second one that angers most people.

I’m a pvper, I only really enjoy pvp. Why should I have to play NiM OPs to get my 258 weapon for pvp or mats to cratf with.
Why should I have to do any pve content at all to gear for pvp? It just shouldn’t happen and it’s driven many pvpers from the game.

Blakinik
06.04.2019 , 09:33 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Why should I have to play NiM OPs to get my 258 weapon for pvp or mats to cratf with.
Welcome to the world of crafters. To get mats you have to do PvP unless you want to whale it. I dislike PvP (hate the word hate even though I used it twice), but I'll do it if I need crafting mats. I honestly think if they opened it up to what you want to do, they'd make it nay impossible to get certain queues to pop. But that is my opinion and mine alone.
Do you like free stuff? I like free stuff.

Click here and we both can get free stuff! (link is for referral)

TrixxieTriss
06.04.2019 , 11:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Blakinik View Post
Welcome to the world of crafters. To get mats you have to do PvP unless you want to whale it. I dislike PvP (hate the word hate even though I used it twice), but I'll do it if I need crafting mats. I honestly think if they opened it up to what you want to do, they'd make it nay impossible to get certain queues to pop. But that is my opinion and mine alone.
Bioware have confirmed they will be opening this up in 6.0. I already asked in a thread and Musco replied to confirm it.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964553

xordevoreaux
06.05.2019 , 04:50 AM | #6
This entire thread is leaving out Space Barbies™ as a play option.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Lhancelot
06.05.2019 , 07:50 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
Well yeah, you can't please everyone, but also, nobody likes a cool reward gated behind content that isn't enjoyable.
This is a game, after all, which is supposed to be fun.
People in a nutshell:

If I love it, well then everyone should love it. My opinion is the penultimate compass of life that determines all what is good or bad. Any disagreements with my internal compass will be met with disdain and resentment, and in some cases hatred.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Lhancelot
06.05.2019 , 07:52 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Blakinik View Post
Welcome to the world of crafters. To get mats you have to do PvP unless you want to whale it.
Hey explain this "whale" term. I seen it for years now, and never found the real meaning of what "whales" are in the sense of internet forums and games. Can someone explain what a "whale" is, in this sense?
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

KendraP
06.05.2019 , 08:02 AM | #9
As perhaps the ultimate in stubborn players who knows what I enjoy and don't, that's oversimplifying quite a bit don't you think?

Take for example my greatest protest of late: the 5.10 gear.

Name one reason its gated behind ossus, if not to get players to play ossus (overwhelming successfully based on what groups form to do).

In fact, for me personally, I would have done ossus on more toons had they simply not added gear, or added gear to the vendors on fleet and GC like 248 gear. As it is, I'm stubborn and vocal because I feel shoehorned into something.

I agree wholeheartedly in concept with "play your way." I think they are being over-ambitious, do not have enough time to implement changes in the manner they have stated, disagree rather strongly with some of the details, and fully expect 6.0 to be a buggy disaster; however the concept is there.

For example, I like there to be a clear objective or end goal I am working toward. With what I have read about the new system, gearing is more of a continuum with no clear end or ideal/best piece. For me, this is frustrating.

But that is simply me - what I find frustrating can easily be someone else's ideal.

And there lies the root of the problem: you cannot keep all the players happy all of the time, and seemingly people are more likely to be vocal if they are unhappy than if they are satisfied.

In conclusion, at the end of the day, no, its not really that simple.

Xina_LA
06.05.2019 , 08:53 AM | #10
It sounds like some folks are conflating the various reasons people can dislike content.

There's play style -- IE: You like PvP and I don't.
There's grind -- IE: Some people don't mind standing around crafting for an hour, others hate it.
There's game mechanics -- IE: Your class and build defeats the challenge easily, others are stuck.
And there's the bug factor -- IE: I tried to finish that flashpoint four times and it bugged out without completion credit.

The problem is when people jump on the "YOU WHINER!" bandwagon without a clear understanding of why someone doesn't like the content. If they complain that they can't get PvP gear outside of PvP, they're whining. If they don't like grind or have less free time IRL than you do, have a little sympathy. And if they're just plain stuck with bad design or bugs, they've got good reason to dislike that content.

TLDR: Put a great reward behind bad game mechanics or serious bugs? Expect well deserved complaints.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--