Cohesive Roleplaying Setting Information

ProfessorWalsh

I haven't seen a post regarding this and I figured I'd make one.

The point of this thread is to create a reference for the community accepted elements for Roleplaying in the Old Republic.

Why is this needed?

Over the course of the game the setting changes dramatically. By the end of the game:

Warning: Spoilers Inside

The Republic enacts a law which places the military under the command of the Jedi Order. This is covered in the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular stories.

This simple setting change totally destroys many people's RP'ing and causes issues when two players meet and each one is existing in a different "world" at the time. I encountered this the other night when my Jedi Sentinel overheard a Trooper talking smack about the Jedi.

This is, of course, not the only setting change. There are a number of them. For example:

At the start of the game the Empire and the Republic are in a "cold war" situation, open warfare doesn't break out until after Act 2 of the storyline.

and

The death of the Emperor.

For the RP'ers having a cohesive idea of the setting is extremely important.

I know, I know, the in fashion thing right now is to hate on the Jedi in game. I have seen enough IC Jedi hatred at this point that there are simply entire classes that my character avoids talking to in character. The problem is that after a time this stops making sense, especially after one of the events I mentioned above.

So I vote, we come together and decide on where in the timeline RP actually takes place.

I, personally, am partial to RP taking place after the class storylines are all completed. That way we are all in the "Final Interlude" section so we know what laws were passed, what major events have changed, and what not.

In a game like TOR this is far more important than it would be in a game like WoW.

It's hard for me to place my RP after the storyline wrap-up because I am nowhere near there yet, I don't know how what happens happens and prefer not to be spoiled. OTOH, it is frustrating not to have a date ATC in-game to work from, to know how old my Mirialan was during the Hydian Way Blockade (his reason for disliking Mandalorians, a failing he acknowledges and attempts to overcome, so far with mixed results).

Because new players will be entering the game from Lvl 1, from here out, I think it makes much more sense to keep RP on the "Cold War" baseline beginning level, Jedi somewhat on the outs with the Republic, and so on. It's the situation everyone has access to from the word go. And I don't believe in waiting until endgame to RP.

To your last spoiler, I just want to say this:

The Sith Warrior storyline clears up the misconception, the Emperor still survives you have just managed to kill his avatar known as the Voice of the Emperor.

I also need to address cross-faction RP, which can happen in ToR! I found this out through pvp that I can understand the Republic and they can understand me, something i'm not entirely used to in a MMO. The reason this needs to be addressed is because there will more than likely be cross-faction RP, and each planet isn't going to have one faction be the clear victor for both sides.

By this I mean, I doubt the Republic players have Corellia placed under Imperial rule. Now the easier solution is just to write these off as still being up in the air... but that, to me, takes away from the RP. I would personally find it delightful if my Sith ran into a trooper or someone who fought on Corellia and was forced to pull out.

The RP would be more charged with animosity, it would allow for the trooper to be inspired by something more than just the Republic. He could have maybe had family on Corellia who either were killed or enslaved, it could give him an emotional and personal motivation to see my character dead. This is not to say my character is a conqueror of Corellia, of course.

I do know some planets on both sides take place at different times. Taris, I believe, takes place earlier in the timeline for Republic than it does for the Empire. I sadly don't know the state for the other planets... I know Alderaan's fate is dependent on your faction for who is the ultimate victor.

So maybe it needs to be worked out which planets go to which faction? Try to give it an even split?

To your last spoiler, I just want to say this:

The Sith Warrior storyline clears up the misconception, the Emperor still survives you have just managed to kill his avatar known as the Voice of the Emperor.

I also need to address cross-faction RP, which can happen in ToR! I found this out through pvp that I can understand the Republic and they can understand me, something i'm not entirely used to in a MMO. The reason this needs to be addressed is because there will more than likely be cross-faction RP, and each planet isn't going to have one faction be the clear victor for both sides.

By this I mean, I doubt the Republic players have Corellia placed under Imperial rule. Now the easier solution is just to write these off as still being up in the air... but that, to me, takes away from the RP. I would personally find it delightful if my Sith ran into a trooper or someone who fought on Corellia and was forced to pull out.

The RP would be more charged with animosity, it would allow for the trooper to be inspired by something more than just the Republic. He could have maybe had family on Corellia who either were killed or enslaved, it could give him an emotional and personal motivation to see my character dead. This is not to say my character is a conqueror of Corellia, of course.

I do know some planets on both sides take place at different times. Taris, I believe, takes place earlier in the timeline for Republic than it does for the Empire. I sadly don't know the state for the other planets... I know Alderaan's fate is dependent on your faction for who is the ultimate victor.

So maybe it needs to be worked out which planets go to which faction? Try to give it an even split?

Actually there is a lot of evidence to support that

The Emperor really is dead and someone is just jerking the Sith Warrior's chain to keep him under control.

Also the storylines on the various planets take place at different times.

The Sith, for example, do indeed claim Corellia, but then the Jedi Knight leads a second offensive and Force the Sith to flee the planet.

It is a matter of untangling the events. It took me a while to figure out what happened when and where. The Sith though:

In the end lose almost every "contested" planet.

(On Alderaan for example:)

The Sith Inquisitor storyline happens first.

The Imperial Agent storyline happens next.

The Sith Warrior storyline happens after that.

Then the Jedi Knight breaks the back of the Sith on Alderaan and gets the faction houses to begin talking.

The Jedi Consular storyline happens next and the nobles are in peace talks.

We know, also, that the Bounty Hunter storyline on Nar Shadda takes place after the Jedi Knight story does because in a conversation with Doc we are told Nemro the Hutt was killed by a Bounty Hunter but we ran into him when we were there.

I'd love to see some Cross Faction RP but I'd like to see the Sith cowed a bit.

By the time the storylines end the Empire is in a bad place. Their spies have been rooted out. Imperial Intelligence is destroyed. The Sith military and fleet are crippled. Their forces have been forced to retreat from Alderaan and Corellia. The Dark Council is missing over half its members and there are rumors that the Emperor is dead following a devastating attack that the Republic waged on Dromuund Kaas.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

Actually there is a lot of evidence to support that

The Emperor really is dead and someone is just jerking the Sith Warrior's chain to keep him under control.

Also the storylines on the various planets take place at different times.

The Sith, for example, do indeed claim Corellia, but then the Jedi Knight leads a second offensive and Force the Sith to flee the planet.

It is a matter of untangling the events. It took me a while to figure out what happened when and where. The Sith though:

In the end lose almost every "contested" planet.

(On Alderaan for example:)

The Sith Inquisitor storyline happens first.

The Imperial Agent storyline happens next.

The Sith Warrior storyline happens after that.

Then the Jedi Knight breaks the back of the Sith on Alderaan and gets the faction houses to begin talking.

The Jedi Consular storyline happens next and the nobles are in peace talks.

We know, also, that the Bounty Hunter storyline on Nar Shadda takes place after the Jedi Knight story does because in a conversation with Doc we are told Nemro the Hutt was killed by a Bounty Hunter but we ran into him when we were there.

I'd love to see some Cross Faction RP but I'd like to see the Sith cowed a bit.

By the time the storylines end the Empire is in a bad place. Their spies have been rooted out. Imperial Intelligence is destroyed. The Sith military and fleet are crippled. Their forces have been forced to retreat from Alderaan and Corellia. The Dark Council is missing over half its members and there are rumors that the Emperor is dead following a devastating attack that the Republic waged on Dromuund Kaas.

Wrong.

1. The emperor is still alive

2. There isnt enough information to prove out of all 8 storylines which happens first or last. If you even paid attention to the storyline you would known each act lasts a while in game time then BETWEEN each acts is atleast a few weeks/months. Whats certain is the SI Storyline happens after the SW, but all the empire storylines happen very close to eachother since there is reference to Thanaton,Baras and Vowrawns powerplays in the IA storyline at Corellia.

And im assuming you only have a Republic character(I have both faction characters storylines finished) and they roughly are at the same spot since both factions will say "we have pushed the other back yada yada". EACH class will also have their class stories which also make it out to be that you destroyed the opposing force. The only planets that are certain is that Republic took back Balmorra and Empire took over Taris. Other then that, each faction both claims they own the planet.

and to your last point I can do that too from an empire perspective: we control the hutts, Your operations on each planet crippled by us, the republic military and fleet obliterated by our superweapons. Your Republic War council(The republics best strategic team) gone, your jedi council being 90% killed off etc etc.

tldr:

Bioware wrote the story to make it seem like the faction your on is stomping the other, that your character is the sole reason for the start of the war and your the next saviour of christ. Your faction story is extremely Bias.

Edited by Girdeux

Wrong.

1. The emperor is still alive

No. No he isn't. He's very dead.

2. There isnt enough information to prove out of all 8 storylines which happens first or last. If you even paid attention to the storyline you would known each act lasts a while in game time then BETWEEN each acts is atleast a few weeks/months. Whats certain is the SI Storyline happens after the SW, but all the empire storylines happen very close to eachother since there is reference to Thanaton,Baras and Vowrawns powerplays in the IA storyline at Corellia.

And im assuming you only have a Republic character(I have both faction characters storylines finished) and they roughly are at the same spot since both factions will say "we have pushed the other back yada yada". EACH class will also have their class stories which also make it out to be that you destroyed the opposing force. The only planets that are certain is that Republic took back Balmorra and Empire took over Taris. Other then that, each faction both claims they own the planet.

and to your last point I can do that too from an empire perspective: we control the hutts, Your operations on each planet crippled by us, the republic military and fleet obliterated by our superweapons. Your Republic War council(The republics best strategic team) gone, your jedi council being 90% killed off etc etc.

tldr:

Bioware wrote the story to make it seem like the faction your on is stomping the other, that your character is the sole reason for the start of the war and your the next saviour of christ. Your faction story is extremely Bias.

Really?

One Jedi Council member dies in the entire game. It isn't even a Sith event.

Satele Shan lives, the Emperor dies. (and yes he's dead, very dead, the Sith Warrior is being jerked around.)

Canonically the Chancellor of the Republic lives, Grand Moff Kilran dies.

Malgus dies.

There aren't a whole lot of important Republic deaths in this game. We know this because it was a point of contention. No, simply put, only one faction in this game gets stomped... The Sith.

I'm sorry mate, but canonically, the Emperor lives on. If you played through the Warrior quest line you'd know that the servants of the Emperor wouldn't concoct such a plan. They... they kind of lack the ability to do so, which you realize just from talking to them.

Not to mention Vitiate is a Force ghost, pretty much. He's pretty much impossible to kill.

Trying to connect all these things or even establish what is really what is nigh impossible w/o bioware making statements...which they probably wont because it would kill some rp elements for people.

I think of it like C&C pre EA. Each side has its story, but may be more like what if types.

Cause you can say Repub too Balmoraa back, I can say I took out all resistance and made repub admit its folly.

I think it would be more on the cross rp groups to agree on certain things rather than creating global this is how it is facts.

Also side note: Sith can take more losses than repub can at this point....cause repub just took some big losses before this game. Evil can always bonce back with losses to be a threat again later. (as said in Overlord "evil always finds a way.") That and yes we know by the future movies sith dont win but if I recall correctly when the war sparks off again it takes quite a long long time before its over and the Sith go into hiding again.

Actually each guild and roleplayer should determine when they want to roleplay. My guild is already roleplaying through the quests and the heroics, but then again my guild isn't all jedi nor will it be. We are a team, not one profession is better than the other. Everyone is equal and that is the way it should be.

Trying to get everyone to agree to your style of roleplay or what you think is right is wrong. Let everyone enjoy the game the way they like to play. I have yet to have a person I've roleplay that doesn't like my jedi but then again might be the way I play her.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Actually each guild and roleplayer should determine when they want to roleplay. My guild is already roleplaying through the quests and the heroics, but then again my guild isn't all jedi nor will it be. We are a team, not one profession is better than the other. Everyone is equal and that is the way it should be.

Trying to get everyone to agree to your style of roleplay or what you think is right is wrong. Let everyone enjoy the game the way they like to play. I have yet to have a person I've roleplay that doesn't like my jedi but then again might be the way I play her.

Kind of a straw man attempt there.

I haven't had a problem, so much as I don't RP with people whom I don't feel have a solid grasp on the theme and lore of Star Wars.

When I do RP with people, when they say something that I find doesn't make sense in universe, my character responds to them like they said something that doesn't make sense in the universe.

I had a conversation just the other night where a Smuggler was mouthing off about how the Jedi kidnap children.

My Jedi explained, in the proper manner, that not only do Jedi not kidnap children as per Republic law allows the taking of Force Sensitive children if the Jedi feel that the child is at risk but also that there were potential dangers in leaving a Force Sensitive child in the care of people who were not able to deal with the child's capabilities.

He tried to fire back, "So he might hurt someone? Big deal! What if a normal kid got his hands on a blaster? Should parents not have a blaster?"

To which I responded, "A blaster is something any parent can take away. In the case of a non-Force Sensitive caring for a Force Sensitive child would be akin to giving a child a blaster, when the child's parents were quadriplegic invalids. While the Force can be misused and treated by a weapon it is far harder to remove from someone than a blaster is."

To which, in this case, he responded, "If the Jedi are so great then why aren't they in charge of the Republic military?"

To which I pointed out, "Several days ago the Republic did enact a law placing the Jedi in command of the Republic military."

This caused a debate to erupt in the RP channel where there were people on both sides of the argument. The fact is that it is part of the setting, but when two people who aren't in the same guild or group RP together such setting information needs to be known at large. Hence the purpose of this thread.

Wait, they do a Clone Wars command structure at some point? Is this even covered in the Trooper story?! o.O That would very much be an important part of the Trooper's story to suddenly have the Jedi leading the Republic Army. Mutual respect or not, even Light Side troopers might be uncomfortable with the idea of inexperianced leaders (read: padawans fresh from Tython) being put in charge of relatively large numbers of Republic Troopers. The only reason the Clone Wars structure really worked was because the clones and Jedi fell into a natural order, and the Jedi were actually older than the troops they lead... yes, even the padawans. These Republic Troopers are born and raised Republic Citizens, they aren't going to take orders from a early teen easily... Edited by LukeDanger

Wait, they do a Clone Wars command structure at some point? Is this even covered in the Trooper story?! o.O That would very much be an important part of the Trooper's story to suddenly have the Jedi leading the Republic Army. Mutual respect or not, even Light Side troopers might be uncomfortable with the idea of inexperianced leaders (read: padawans fresh from Tython) being put in charge of relatively large numbers of Republic Troopers. The only reason the Clone Wars structure really worked was because the clones and Jedi fell into a natural order, and the Jedi were actually older than the troops they lead... yes, even the padawans. These Republic Troopers are born and raised Republic Citizens, they aren't going to take orders from a early teen easily...

Yes this does, but does not, happen.

Click for a spoilerific explanation:

Fortunately this game is a little different than pure Clone Wars era. In this game the Jedi have to undergo special training on Tython before they are certified to lead Republic troops. Second of all, if I understand the timeline, this only happens when the Republic fails on Corellia and loses the planet.

Once that event happens the Republic changes tactics. They enact a law that places the Jedi in charge of the Republic military forces.

After that a Jedi Knight and major war hero, who is credited with such feats as stopping the complete destruction of a number of worlds. Including, but not limited to Coruscant, Tython, Tatooine, and Voss. Is chosen to become the supreme commander of the Jedi Forces.

That Jedi leads an assault against the Sith that had taken control of Corellia and manages to retake the planet and send the Sith fleeing from it.

Then that Jedi and the Jedi Council orders a full attack of the Republic fleet to hit Dromuund Kaas as a diversionary mission to allow the Jedi Knight and his personal strike team to defeat the Emperor.

As a side note, the Troopers would understand that the Jedi receive a lifetime of training and have a lot of combat experience. Also Troopers are trained to follow orders. If the Republic brass says listen to the Jedi, then Troopers do. This is just like a squad who is given a young commander.

They might not like it but they generally do their job.

The problem we are running into is fanon invading canon actually.

A lot of Trooper players started a fanon view where the Troopers were considered the replacement for the Jedi. As in they constructed this mentality that Troopers were considered at large to be just as good in battle as the Jedi Order had ever displayed.

This is canonically not true. We know from the Jedi Knight storyline that the Republic did actually try to do that with a group. They took the best of the Republic special forces and turned them into something called "Power Guards" or special illegally created soldiers that sported dangerous amounts of cybertech.

They did this specifically because they knew that their current soldiers couldn't match the Jedi. This was actually the main plot to the Jedi Knight's Nar Shadda storyline.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

Yes this does, but does not, happen.

Click for a spoilerific explanation:

Fortunately this game is a little different than pure Clone Wars era. In this game the Jedi have to undergo special training on Tython before they are certified to lead Republic troops. Second of all, if I understand the timeline, this only happens when the Republic fails on Corellia and loses the planet.

Once that event happens the Republic changes tactics. They enact a law that places the Jedi in charge of the Republic military forces.

After that a Jedi Knight and major war hero, who is credited with such feats as stopping the complete destruction of a number of worlds. Including, but not limited to Coruscant, Tython, Tatooine, and Voss. Is chosen to become the supreme commander of the Jedi Forces.

That Jedi leads an assault against the Sith that had taken control of Corellia and manages to retake the planet and send the Sith fleeing from it.

Then that Jedi and the Jedi Council orders a full attack of the Republic fleet to hit Dromuund Kaas as a diversionary mission to allow the Jedi Knight and his personal strike team to defeat the Emperor.

Alright; that makes a lot more sense. Still, it's a pretty big kick in the teeth for Troopers if these tough-as-nails, Sith punching Troopers are suddenly lead by a Jedi with no military experiance even with sanity being injected into the entire idea. Still, that's something... really universe changing. I can catch hints of various stories, (IE, early on in the Smuggler arc apparently someone comments "The Republic just lost another walker", matching up with the Trooper story), but major stuff really should be consistent throughout, like the law that makes Jedi in charge of the Republic Military.

'course, my Trooper wouldn't mind the Jedi tearing Garza a new one or three, but even then he'd be uncomfortable with the Jedi leading everything. Not a case of lack of respect, more a case of he knows that Force =/= tactical awesomeness and leadership. They're still mortal, as the Sith Force-user body count you rack up even by the end of Act I doing the world arcs should show.

Edit: And yeah, I get that, I'm just saying that this is either way is something that is very important to Troopers because it is a major chain-of-command change, and that there would be troopers who are uncomfortable. Follow orders? Sure. Challenge the Jedi and make sure that they're thinking and not just relying on the Force do tell them everything? Yes. Totally disobey them unless they're being so stupid you wonder how they even passed that extra training? Well, that depends on the Trooper in question.

Edit 2: And as for the 'Trooper Replace Jedi' fanon, that has basis in the Trooper's bio on the site. It states that the Trooper class stepped up to fill the void left behind when the Jedi left for Tython, so it's not an unreasonable thing to say. But yeah, the Trooper's definitely aren't total replacements for Jedi, but they do fill the void left when the Jedi relocated to Tython.

Edited by LukeDanger

And as for the 'Trooper Replace Jedi' fanon, that has basis in the Trooper's bio on the site. It states that the Trooper class stepped up to fill the void left behind when the Jedi left for Tython, so it's not an unreasonable thing to say. But yeah, the Trooper's definitely aren't total replacements for Jedi, but they do fill the void left when the Jedi relocated to Tython.

The thing is, and this is important, people I feel read way too far into that "Fill the void" part.

I can give an example from non-Star Wars on that...

Lemme put on my asbestos suit for this one...

Okay...

Ahem...

In the 1985 animated Transformers movie, Optimus Prime died. Hot Rod stepped up to become Rodimus Prime and he filled the void left by Optimus' death. He filled the void, yes, but no Transformers fan believed for a second that Hot Rod, or even Rodimus, could compare to Optimus.

That is kind of the situation here.

Not to belittle the Troopers in any way. I actually liked Hot Rod but he wasn't Optimus.

Also, to put things into perspective, the Jedi didn't leave during the war. It wasn't like the Jedi abandoned the battlefield and the Troopers had to finish the fight alone. The Jedi left after a peace treaty was signed, this left the void that needed to be filled considerably more shallow than people seem to believe it was.

What happened though was people blew the situation way out of proportion and started constructing a very strange "fanon" around the Troopers. They started constructing these tales of the Troopers ranking toe to toe with Sith and being able to handle Sith in combat and they started to belittle the Jedi by calling their lightsabers glowsticks and slamming on Jedi hard.

Eventually Star Wars canon had to rise up.

People can fill the void left by Jedi, but the only thing that can replace the Jedi are the Jedi.

The thing is, and this is important, people I feel read way too far into that "Fill the void" part.

I can give an example from non-Star Wars on that...

Lemme put on my asbestos suit for this one...

Okay...

Ahem...

In the 1985 animated Transformers movie, Optimus Prime died. Hot Rod stepped up to become Rodimus Prime and he filled the void left by Optimus' death. He filled the void, yes, but no Transformers fan believed for a second that Hot Rod, or even Rodimus, could compare to Optimus.

That is kind of the situation here.

Not to belittle the Troopers in any way. I actually liked Hot Rod but he wasn't Optimus.

Also, to put things into perspective, the Jedi didn't leave during the war. It wasn't like the Jedi abandoned the battlefield and the Troopers had to finish the fight alone. The Jedi left after a peace treaty was signed, this left the void that needed to be filled considerably more shallow than people seem to believe it was.

What happened though was people blew the situation way out of proportion and started constructing a very strange "fanon" around the Troopers. They started constructing these tales of the Troopers ranking toe to toe with Sith and being able to handle Sith in combat and they started to belittle the Jedi by calling their lightsabers glowsticks and slamming on Jedi hard.

Eventually Star Wars canon had to rise up.

People can fill the void left by Jedi, but the only thing that can replace the Jedi are the Jedi.

No worries; I get what your saying. I was just presenting what I figured the explanation for where the fanon came from. A Trooper shouldn't be slamming the Jedi as weak. Sure, diss their code, diss their morality, insult their biological features, but not call them weak and useless. If anything, it should be respect for the power they have if nothing else. Troopers did fill the void, and sure it was a lot more shallow than what people believe, but Troopers still filled a void. The main point becomes how critical was that void, and should the contributions be forgotten the moment the Jedi show up again.

I can get people hating the Jedi for various reasons, but every Trooper should respect the power a Jedi has if nothing else. A Trooper charging a Jedi with a blaster rifle should expect a lot of blaster burns in return, usually followed by a lightsaber through the gut. A Trooper needs to plan, be creative, and go genetalia out when fighting any Force User. They need to take some cues from Atton Rand, or just fight unconventionally, which I think really isn't done enough with Trooper abilities. Gut, I think, is one of the few which makes sense to try and use on a Jedi (assuming that Troopers are all decked out with cortiss weave/beskar/phrink equipment) because it surprises the Jedi with a sudden melee weapon where there shouldn't be one. But other than that, the Trooper pretty much just grenades the Jedi.

What I really just dislike about the whole 'all of a sudden, Jedi Order in charge of the military', especially since it doesn't seem to get much attention in the Trooper story, is that it seems to gloss over the Trooper. Now, I'm not a guy who buffs up non-Jedi to crazy levels and I believe that the fact that Troopers are better tanks than Jedi Guardians is a big eyebrow raiser, but the Trooper automatically taking a backseat because the Jedi show up just doesn't sit right with me. If it's something like, say, dealing with a Jedi site with a lot of stuff that you really shouldn't be poking around in without a Jedi in the area; heck yes, the Trooper should defer. But in a battlefield, the Jedi needs to be able to do what Thrawn does: Accept ideas that come from a Trooper's mouth, and if (s)he doesn't implement the idea, at least have the deceny of considering it and if they have a point give them the credit for it after the battle is over.

That's part of why I want a Jedi companion for the Trooper that works under the Trooper and not as oversight from the Jedi, particularly when we're talking about a Light Side Trooper. First, it flips the classic dynamic of Jedi Leader/Trooper Follower and allows an excellent deconstruction of the entire dynamic, much as (From what I've seen/heard) Ashara's fall to the dark side is a lot more nuanced than your typical Jedi falling is. Nuance it, have some give and take both ways. By the time of level 50, the Trooper has managed to take out at least one Darth and quite a few lightsaber wielding, electricity spamming, powerful Sith.

As an example of a decent way of handling the dynamic, let's take Ahsoka and Rex from TCW. When Ahsoka showed up in the movie, she was pretty damn confident and Anakin knew he needed Rex to set her straight. Rex did that, and while technically outranking him Ahsoka took to learning from him, more noticable in the tie-in novels than the series. In the novels she takes to following Rex's advice, and Rex tends to be doing some teaching of command (Anakin also having a pretty big hand in it, but by that point he was a fairly experienced officer in his own right). By the current point in TCW, Rex had grown to respect her leadership. Not because she was a Jedi, but because he came to respect her developing leadership skill. That, I think, is how the Jedi Leader/Trooper Follower dynamic should work, or at least when the Jedi lacks the experience to lead and has bee nforced into the role.

Now, as you explained they've averted the biggest problem with the automatic Jedi leadership by putting in training. Still, I just don't think the Trooper should automatically be subservient in all cases. Certainly I can see the benefits of a Jedi's leadership, and no one, not even a Mandalorian wanking fan, should underestimate it. However, people also underestimate (and, unfortunately, overestimate) what those without the Force can do. That's what I really want to get at; TOR should have some of the Jedi Leader/Trooper Follower, because that's classic Star Wars, but it should also have some of the opposite, particularly in areas where the Trooper has better knowledge than the Jedi where the Force is just another combat style.

Back to the void the Jedi left. As far as the military is concerend, the Trooper filled the Jedi role pretty handily. Troopers have leaders amongst their ranks, they have skilled tacticians, etc. But the Jedi filled another role, particularly Jedi Consulars, that a Trooper simply can't replace. Jedi had a certain cultural/religious/philisophical trait which the Trooper usually can't emulate role wise. Jedi were respected for wisdom, knowledge, etc. The usual Merlin-esque court wizard or the Friar Tuck type. Now, could a Trooper be a wise fellow? Certainly, but it's not the same as the Jedi. So your correct, Troopers did not wholly fill the void the Jedi left, but the Trooper also filled a role within their usual buisness (combat leadership and skill) and did so well. All in all, the true strength of the Trooper/Jedi team is that they're dynamic and, in many ways, complete each other.

How so? The Jedi typically would be wiser, would have a greater insight thanks to the Force, while the Trooper would have experiance, training, and a gut instinct honed from not relying on the Force. The Jedi would be able to protect the Trooper by deflecting blaster bolts and such away, giving the Trooper room to work and help ease the burden on the Jedi covering them by gunning down every clanker taking a shot at them. The Trooper has the combat know-how to defend the Republic and win the war, the Jedi has the wisdom to see a victory that doesn't cost the Republic itself in winning. Sometimes the Jedi should lead, but there are times when a Jedi needs to know when to lean back a bit and let the Trooper drive the walker rather than constantly back seat drive.

That's just my two creds on the whole Jedi/Trooper relationship. Mutual respect, and they should know when one has better experiance in an area than the other.

Edited by LukeDanger

[quote=ProfessorWalsh;2078701

I haven't had a problem, so much as I don't RP with people whom I don't feel have a solid grasp on the theme and lore of Star Wars.

When I do RP with people, when they say something that I find doesn't make sense in universe, my character responds to them like they said something that doesn't make sense in the universe

So let me get this right, if they don't agree with how you "perceive" what is your version of roleplay is or your "version" of lore is you act like they don't exist. Great. To be that is very rude behaviour just because they disagree with your version.

I had a conversation just the other night where a Smuggler was mouthing off about how the Jedi kidnap children.

My Jedi explained, in the proper manner, that not only do Jedi not kidnap children as per Republic law allows the taking of Force Sensitive children if the Jedi feel that the child is at risk but also that there were potential dangers in leaving a Force Sensitive child in the care of people who were not able to deal with the child's capabilities.

Problem with this scenario is what I have said all along with regard to this, no one has the right to take a child force sensitive or not from their parents against their wishes. The order is not perfect. They make mistakes. Who is better for the child parents who love them for who they are or some master who tries to teach them what they are feeling is wrong.

Parents wishes should be respected first and foremost. If and only if there is proof that the child wil be used or hurt then and only then should they step in but only if they have absolute proof (not past experiences on other children) .

To which, in this case, he responded, "If the Jedi are so great then why aren't they in charge of the Republic military?"

To which I pointed out, "Several days ago the Republic did enact a law placing the Jedi in command of the Republic military."

I would have responded if the jedi had cared one bit for the people of the republic then why after the bombing of Corsuant did they run off and hide away on Tython. They were needed but where were they? They were hiding.

Yea I know you are going to say they were refocusing on the members. Great they go off to hide to nurse their wounded pride in their temple being destroyed while the Repulic has to pull themselves up by themselves.

Thats why most people dislike the Jedi. They left and retreated to Tython instead of staying where they were needed.

And before you jumped to the conclusion I dislkie the Jedi, that is far fromt the trurth. I just don't place them on a pedestral. They are human and prone to mistakes just like everyone else.

My problem is with people who think the Jedi can do no wrong or they are better than someone esle. They are not. They are just like everyone else, sure they have force powers, but that doesn't make better, just different.

They need to start looking beyond themselves.

Edited by casi

So let me get this right, if they don't agree with how you "perceive" what is your version of roleplay is or your "version" of lore is you act like they don't exist. Great. To be that is very rude behaviour just because they disagree with your version.

No offense here Casi, but there is no law that says I have to RP with people who's version of RP violently clashes with my own. I have every right to choose who I do and do not RP with.

If someone came up to you and claimed to be the son of the Emperor and a 1500 year old Sith with an immortality ritual who had defected to the Republic it would destroy your immersion. You can choose to not interact with those people. For me, if someone starts coming up to me with stuff that wholly violates the game lore I choose not to RP with them because it ruins my RP fun.

You are the one who tried to champion "Personal RP" and now you get insulted when I choose my own way to RP. I'm a purist when it comes to RP. I write a character that can exist in the universe as the universe is written. My character, my fun, breaks down when people start violating those rules.

Problem with this scenario is what I have said all along with regard to this, no one has the right to take a child force sensitive or not from their parents against their wishes. The order is not perfect. They make mistakes. Who is better for the child parents who love them for who they are or some master who tries to teach them what they are feeling is wrong.

The Jedi Order has that right. Granted by the Republic. You might not like it, but that is your problem, not mine.

Parents wishes should be respected first and foremost. If and only if there is proof that the child wil be used or hurt then and only then should they step in but only if they have absolute proof (not past experiences on other children) .

At that point it is too late.

I would have responded if the jedi had cared one bit for the people of the republic then why after the bombing of Corsuant did they run off and hide away on Tython. They were needed but where were they? They were hiding.

And my character would have responded by telling your character that she was ignorant of the situation. He would have explained why the Jedi fell back to Tython and he would have pointed out that the Jedi Order almost brought itself to extinction during the war. Without open combat and with the treaty they needed to recover.

If your character calls that hiding, then my character would tell her that he wants to see her strip off all of her armor, cut her own arms off, then charge into battle with the Sith without seeing a med tech first.

Yea I know you are going to say they were refocusing on the members. Great they go off to hide to nurse their wounded pride in their temple being destroyed while the Repulic has to pull themselves up by themselves.

That wasn't the case and your character would be spewing unsubstantiated lies.

Thats why most people dislike the Jedi. They left and retreated to Tython instead of staying where they were needed.

That isn't what happened and most people in Star Wars, at least in this game don't dislike the Jedi.

And before you jumped to the conclusion I dislkie the Jedi, that is far fromt the trurth. I just don't place them on a pedestral. They are human and prone to mistakes just like everyone else.

Yet you didn't point out a single mistake.

My problem is with people who think the Jedi can do no wrong or they are better than someone esle. They are not. They are just like everyone else, sure they have force powers, but that doesn't make better, just different.

They need to start looking beyond themselves.

They aren't "just like everyone else" that is the part that you don't get. They are Jedi. A group of monks who tap into a supernatural power who serve the Republic without question and who do this for no pay and no benefits. They do this simply because that is what they do.

They don't need to look beyond themselves. Other people need to accept that the Jedi are special.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

No. No he isn't. He's very dead.

I'm afraid you may be wrong Walsh.

Its not just the letter to the sith warrior, Kira has a post finale quest that involves some of the other children of the emperor. He's still talking to some of them...

A lot...

He may be "dead" in that there's a body to point to, but I don't think he's "gone".

[

QUOTE=ProfessorWalsh;2084458].

They don't need to look beyond themselves. Other people need to accept that the Jedi are special.

Arent' you breaking one of the jedi tenants here by stating the Jedi are special?

Conquer Arrogance

"The acceptance of others is not a guarantee. Like everyone else, a Jedi is accepted or not based on his behavior. The Jedi who believes that he is more important than others only demonstrates that his opinion is to be ignored." ―Dooku[src]

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not. Jedi were taught that they were only Jedi because some had taken the trouble to teach them, not because they were superior to others, and that a Jedi Master was only a Jedi Master because he had disregarded his own sense of self-importance and embraced the will of the Force.[1]

Arent' you breaking one of the jedi tenants here by stating the Jedi are special?

Conquer Arrogance

"The acceptance of others is not a guarantee. Like everyone else, a Jedi is accepted or not based on his behavior. The Jedi who believes that he is more important than others only demonstrates that his opinion is to be ignored." ―Dooku[src]

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not. Jedi were taught that they were only Jedi because some had taken the trouble to teach them, not because they were superior to others, and that a Jedi Master was only a Jedi Master because he had disregarded his own sense of self-importance and embraced the will of the Force.[1]

Yes. Yes let the anger flow though you both.

Edited by Diamonddug

Not at all.

I'm saying it, and I'm not a Jedi. Also it isn't arrogance to state a simple fact. Jedi are part of a rare group of people who have the potential to use the Force to a significant degree to gain membership in the Jedi Order. This same group of people is narrowed further by extensive and grueling training which takes years to complete and has a very low pass rate. They must be extremely fit of both mind and body as well as have that something extra.

Conquer Arrogance

Nice Wookieepedia quote.

Has no bearing on this though. It isn't a Jedi who believes that he is more important, just more special.

A non-Force Sensitive member of Havoc Squad could train for a thousand years and never become a Jedi. You have to be special to do it.

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not. Jedi were taught that they were only Jedi because some had taken the trouble to teach them, not because they were superior to others, and that a Jedi Master was only a Jedi Master because he had disregarded his own sense of self-importance and embraced the will of the Force.

Again, you are confusing in character actions/statements and out of character facts.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

A non-Force Sensitive member of Havoc Squad could train for a thousand years and never become a Jedi. You have to be special to do it.

The Jedi Might be Self Sacrificeing and Outstanding Warriors Etc...

But there are things they could never do that a Trooper, Smuggler or other Non-Force Sensative can... Simply by not being bound by the same code. In Some cases there are some who have Scricter codes (ICly my Bounty Hunter is harsher on himself with his own code then anything he could be taught by any other group).

Anyway. This has gone away from the ACTUAL orginal subject.

Their should be an Agreed source for people too Reference for the Major Plot points of all the Storylines. Primarily so those that Wish too use it can see what the political situation is like After Each act/at the end of the Game.

Doesn't mean everyone should use it though. And it may not be everyones cup of tea persay.

I always figured it would be easiest to keep RP in the prologue/chapter 1, that way latecomers won't have the story of the game spoiled to them through RP.

And it's not a rare thing to keep RP timelocked, in Lord of the Rings Online the RP was firmly kept in the days before Frodo left on his adventure because once he did, we had a one year deadline before the Ring was destroyed and Middle-Earth entered an era of happiness where no orcs or other evil things could be found anywhere.

Heck, even in Galaxies the RP was stuck for eight years somewhere between the end of ANH and the start of ESB.

So to me it's not exactly a stretch of the imagination to keep the RP story in the early days of the game story. I'd certainly never forgive myself if I accidentally spoiled major plot points to someone who bought the game a year after launch.