Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

Terin

I intend to only have one character of every Class, so I want to make sure I get whichever "fits" each Class the most.

On the one hand, Commando makes a lot of sense. Many trailers depict them, wielding their impressive Assault Cannons, and there was even a game named "Republic Commando" (though curiously, they wielded Rifles, not Cannons). Powertech also uses a lot of flamethrowers, can use the Jetpack to leap at an enemy, pull them towards him with a grappling hook, or freeze them in Carbonite, which seems very Boba Fett-like.

On the other hand, the Vangard wields a Rifle, which maybe rings a little more true to their militaristic vibe. As well, the Mercenary dual-wields Blasters, obviously inspired by Boba Fett; in contrast, the Powertech's single blaster isn't reflective of any know Bounty Hunter (that I know of, anyways). As well, the Mercenary keeps at a distance, which seems more what I would have thought Bounty Hunters might prefer.

Obviously, there's no "Right" or "Wrong" answer here, but I'd really just like you guys' honest opinions. If you're playing through these Characters purely for their Story, which Advanced Classes do you think "feel" closer to the Class? Thanks a ton! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a PowerTech and I feel that I should have gone mercenary purely because it fits the Bounty Hunter class better, in my option. This class does not feel like it should be melee. It is not underpowered or anything, I fly through content. I just think that aesthetically and story wise a mercenary would fit better.

I went Vanguard/Mercenary and regret it. While it really isn't that big of a deal, I'd rather have a Commando minigun than Mercenary Dual Pistols and I would rather have a Powertech Flamethrower than a Vanguard Arc cannon. I just think they look cooler.

i went commando/powertech because a powertech, in theory is an amazing concept, theres a billion mercs already, and commandos get a freakin mini gun!

mini gun > dual pistols. plus commandos dont take up as big of a % of the population as mercs do on empire side. loot competition sucks when you get invited to a group that already had 2 mercenaries. i quit my merc at lvl 42 in disgust.

Definitely go Powertech - you get to set people on fire, then punch their head off. What more could you ask for?

This ^ i chose mercenary at first and regretted it so i re rolled a powertech, never looked back. Why? Mercenarys fighting style is very stand still and shoot and spam missiles whereas powertech are much more fun to play and have a much better survivability but still very good damage also their abilities are awesome! IMO go Powertech.

Play each one to around 20 and see what fits you better. no rush in this game imo. For the record i got a 50 merc with dual champ pistols and let me tell you, if you slip under the radar and are allowed to dps unmolested, you can seriously tear stuff up fast. Heatseeker+tracer+unload+explosive dart and most guys are close to 50% if not below. Now if people start figuring out that you are a threat in pvp, well you're gonna get focused and then it kinda sucks :p. Altho PT does seem kinda fun too. Been thinking of leveling up one of those too since my merc is pretty well full champ gear and pvp level 50 so really not much to look forward to atm other than level 65 for the speeder.

In the end it really just boils down to how you interpret what a BH or Trooper should seem like....as well as their roles. PT is a tank/melee dps, merc is ranged dps/healer.

Edited by Sauzo

I have a level 26? vanguard and a level 14 mercenary.

The vanguard I kinda regret. I wanted to tank and bought into the whole "ranged tank" hype, but the reality is that your key abilities are at the 4m - 10m range. And it just felt odd to me to be constantly running into melee to fire my rifle.

The mercenary is the exact opposite. It's lots of fun mowing down mobs with the twin pistols - the animations are very cool, IMO, and I love Death From Above. I know mechanically it's the same as Mortar Round but it's just so much more awesome looking. In fact, "more awesome looking" is probably a good capsule review of bounty hunter vs trooper.

Anyway, if you want to tank on one of the two classes, I would probably pick powertech over vanguard, as it seems like it would feel more inline with the character type. To me, the trooper should be sitting back and shooting, and that's the commando. The bounty hunter could go either way.

• 3 weeks later...

I intend to go Powertech/Commando myself.

Powertech because while yes Mercs get two guns, I can just have a Gunslinger Smuggler for that. As for all the rockets, yes explosives are nice but they don't get all the cool gear Powertechs do like grappling wire, hidden blades, and carbonizers. Even the name to me sounds more impressive; how many Mercenaries do you take down with ease in all the games you've ever played?

Commando is simpler, same armor but bigger gun. I do like the rifles, don't get me wrong, but I love heavy weapons, plus I can try and see what healing is like at the same time. To me I think Vanguard and Commando got the names mixed up because Commandos would more likely have rifles while Vanguards sound like heavier hitters.

But this is all my opinion.

Any other opinions/thoughts on the matter? I'm really having a difficult time deciding!

It comes down to whether you want that assault cannon or not, that's the biggest factor really considering nearly everyone else (players/companions) can use pistols/rifles, but only the commando can use assault cannons.

Edited by Talorya

Commando and Powertech. While the rifle is pretty cool, I feel like the assault cannon > dual pistols, and the Powertech wielding a single pistol is more fitting because of all the gear he uses with his offhand (extendable vibroblade, flamethrowers, rockets, etc.). It just makes sense that the Powertech would only wield a single pistol.