Gamasutra: The Burning of Star Wars - The Old Republic

Urael

So he wants to play unlimited warzones, unlimited operations, unlimited space missions and unlimited group flashpoints for at least two characters. If you are investing that much time into the game then you sub for 15 bucks. If you aren't investing that much time in the game and just like to PVP you buy a weekly unlimited wz pass.

This is an incredibly stupid article. If I want to ride the bus every day for a year I buy a bus pass, I don't spend the daily fee every day. Unless I'm an idiot like the author of this article.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/shrug. It doesn't really affect me. TOR's got issues and figuring out what is proper and what isn't for the FTP is one of them. This is because plenty of competing games are B2P or slowly adopting a BTP option. There's a few other glaring issues with the game as well. That said, I don't share the writer's general conclusion because it seems like he's basing much more on what consultants initially projected the game to hold at compared to where it is and and what is profitable.

This is one of the reasons that analyst and such tend to fall short of the mark, for the record. They hinge points on expectations rather than reality. And the reality is that while TOR is not where people probably thought it could be, it certainly maintains market viability. So saying "It could have been x.." is sort of meaningless when what it is now still is sufficiently competitive in the market.

Now, that sounds like a cynical assessment of things but it's the truth. The bottom line is viability and competition in the market. People are paying for TOR, people are dishing out for micro-transactions in game. The same way that people actually do pay real money for Gems in GW2 or how people pay for individual pieces of content in LOTRO.

Compare buying, say, Section X access to buying quest access in Forochel. It's not quite equivalent but the principle is generally the same. The major issue with the FTP model in TOR and the Cartel Market, right now, is price for content. It's out of tune. That's the real issue.

Edited by AlyxDinas

I don't think we can safely say that at all, and I also think the desire to silence dissent is more wishful than realistic.

I often wonder why some folks seem to be so put off by criticism. As I have said many times, this is just a game, not a religion or political party. It's a bit odd to defend the game so desperately against even the most reasonable critique.

Growth is painful. At this point in time this game needs frank harsh criticism IMO much more than glad handing. Only by making critical changes will this game continue to thrive and remain healthy.

Then we must be reading different forums. Because in this one people are either raging over every little thing or simply demand everything for free.

I find what you're wondering about interesting. In fact I find it equally interesting to, say, why people still pay or even play for free a game they do not enjoy. I simply do not get that and I'd love for someone to explain it to me.

No matter how much you love a game, or how much you'd want to love a game but just can't, if you're not having fun you shouldn't be playing it. End of story. I get people wanting it to get better. I do not get people who want it to become GW2 or WoW or TSW or any other MMO. It's a different game and some of us like it exactly because it's none of the previously mentioned MMOs.

As you said yourself, it's neither a religion nor a political party where you have to accept certain things you don't particularly agree with or even downright disagree with because of something bigger - a God, an idea. Whereas this allows for a much bigger room for criticism, it also means something else: you can walk away from it and your life will be exactly the same as it was before. You won't have to fins a new religion nor change your views about politics.

This is a product, made by a company that wants to make as much money as possible from it. And the only reason anyone should "buy" and keep paying for this product is purely for entertainment purposes - aka having fun. If someone is not having fun, why not just walk away?

Growth through constructive criticism is extremely important. However, criticism through constant whining about every single thing that's not exactly like I or you think it should be and rage-quit threats is never constructive. You know what would get EA's attention? Not buying their Cartel Points and most importantly not paying for a subscription. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Just for the record, it was never my intention to try to "silence dissent". I love arguing. In fact, if 80% of the people here were not bashing the game, I'd probably be pointing out its faults myself. But as it is now, this forum is a place were people rarely post anything that can be considered "constructive". It's mostly full of vile comments about everything and anything Bioware/EA does. And while some may be right I think you should reconsider how many of those really do care about the game and are not just griefers seeking attention.

Edited by TheNahash

There are none. Simply because they did a terrible job, and everyone sees it.

It is called a Hickman effect.

I've been hearing that term a lot recently. Of course it conjures images of some kind of Mass Effect Skit involving a badly cropped image of Mr Hickman applied to a Reaper and an army of enraged fans dressed up in their favorite N7 armor armed to the teeth ready to shoot down the space cuttlefish.

On the topic of the article. I agree with the conclusion and the suggestions. I'm not sure that I agreed with the delivery of the article.

I want to reply to this thread, and I suppose the article it is about- keep in mind I have been playing from middle october- not from launch like some. So I have not seen some of the evolution of the game from it's initial state, though I have inferred a bit from reading the patch note history and anecdotal things from these forums. That said-

The developers of this game must pull their hair out reading things like this article, and even the forums in general. As i have lurked here reading player complaints and requests for help etc., I have noticed one overwhelming truth: there is no way the developers could alter this game to make everyone happy. In fact, I would say based on a few months of reading that they have done a fairly good job trying to thread the needle down the middle of what feedback has been left here.

For example, the first time I came to this forum, there were two threads, about a half dozen apart on the same page regarding exploration and world size/content. Thread one was griping about speeders, mostly cost, availability, and the biggest chunk was about how slow they moved. it went off on a tangent about world design, how some didnt have nice groupings for quest givers to limit the amount of time out of combat. The other thread 1/4 page down was about how small the game world was, how it took no time to explore, how you were constantly in combat etc.

So I shook my head a little as I read those, wondering what the developers must think seeing that. how does one please the crowd when said crowd wants completely opposite things? IMO, they did a reasonable job balancing world giganticness with fight/story progress.

It really stems from a base player conflict: huge WoW style grinding MMO play vs KOTOR old school single player story games. A big chunk of the player base wants WoW with lightsabres, because thats what they like. Another big part wants KOTOR III, with a few vocal ones actually mad about the fact they even bothered to make this game online. The dev team has the daunting task of trying to make both at the same time. SOme players want traditional almost turn based MMO control, some want FPS shooter style twitch with lightsabres. The devs are supposed to make it both. Some players want stupid huge immensly detailed sparsely populated world to explore for hours. Some players want a diablo or DDO style where you only interupt fighting briefly to empty your backpack in town and get the next quest from the same 5 contacts. Some players want full fledged, no where is safe PVP, some wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Some players love gear, some players wish there wasnt any at all. The devs are supposed to do it all, AND tackle all the conflicting things and technical hurdles that go with these conflicts.

On top of that stuff, the dev team has that one other thing to deal with, the bane of all dev teams everywhere: marketing dept and corporate over-ride. If marketing says, "this is how much money we need to charge for this catagory of stuff" well, guess what. If corporate big cheese calls down to the lead designer and says "hey, WoW has like ten million players, and I want to buy a new yacht, so you know, WoW with lightsabres" well, guess what. Even the most brilliant development team ever has to bend over backwards for the corporate money investors, no matter what game or genre etc it is. And corporate people, well, you know, WoW does have 10 million players....

So anyway, in general I cant say I disagree with the article, but I will say this: the author can have whatever opinion they want, and voice it, and in the end, they are simply in one of the camps of players they are part of this community. I do not hold that opinion against them. I also do not share it, because I am not in the same camp.

Here is what i like- I like the story. I am likely more in the KOTOR camp then in the MMO camp, but, i do enjoy me some teaming for the unpredictability of it and social chats. End game? bah. raiding is for chumps, playing the same story over and over one billion times to get the ub3rst l33t gearz is not for me. but, i will play a story over several times if I enjoy it, which thankfully in this game I pretty much do. not like 50 times, but a half dozen is no issue, especially given I can be serious buisness, or srs bizn3ss because of the multiple reply options. Add some "voting" while playing with my brother and the conversations can be rather amusing. PvP? eh, i wont do it until I have done all the story stuff to satisfaction, and then i will likely partake in rookie fashion and not care if I get pwned or not.

As for the subs vs FTP, well, the system does EXACTLY what I thought it would, it allos people to taste the game, and if they like it, even a bit, it encourages them to sub up. And really, it should be that way. If you enjoy the game, you should pay something for it. 50 cents a day is hardly jaw dropping angry fist shaking amounts of money considering you can play 24-7 on an account(minus patch time) for, again, 50 cents a day. The prices on the cartel market are marketing dept issues, not dev team ones. And thing is there, rage all we want about prices there, if they sell enough to call it a success, then they priced it right. Thats what happens when it comes time to sell a product, digital or not, for real money. Look at new cars for a RL example. i couldnt buy a new car if I wanted to for the cost. but somebody is obviously, because the price is what it is. So rage against it all i want, the price point fits the company's financial goals.

Anyway, this got really long. Bottom line, the article, and people responding here, well, thats your opinion and you should stand by it. I disagree, and feel the dev team has done well with the balancing act of expectations. If anyone has failed at this game, it is marketing and corporate money grubbers.

Sometimes I really wonder why people stick on the forums spitting on a game they should leave as they do not like it. You should stop looking for confirmations to your negative thoughts about SWTOR and do not waste your time here. Out here it's full of MMOs, and for sure there will be one that fits you perfectly.,:D

This person obviously didn't learn about Diablo 3. Its been a running joke that Diablo 3 was really "ForumCraft 3".

In actual truth, the majority that didn't just stick it on the shelf or throw it in the trash found the forums more fun than the actual game. What we saw there was a modern version of happened during the renaissance era when self important *******es (referring duly to both "liberal thinkers" and donkeys) who had too much time on their hands (a massive failure of the French secret police) would inform the world that because they knew only everything there is to know about universe (turns out to be only 42 things) that they knew how to fix a game made by a major studio packed with professionals. Amazingly enough most of the "Renaissance Posters" happened to come to the same general conclusions.

Edited by Placitum

This person obviously didn't learn about Diablo 3. Its been a running joke that Diablo 3 was really "ForumCraft 3".

In actual truth, the majority that didn't just stick it on the shelf or throw it in the trash found the forums more fun than the actual game. What we saw there was a modern version of happened during the renaissance era when self important *******es (referring duly to both "liberal thinkers" and donkeys) who had too much time on their hands (a massive failure of the French secret police) would inform the world that because they knew only everything there is to know about universe (turns out to be only 42 things) that they knew how to fix a game made by a major studio packed with professionals. Amazingly enough most of the "Renaissance Posters" happened to come to the same general conclusions.

While your comparison is really bad, may I point out that those "donkey" and "liberal thinkers" bring our world out from the Dark Age, to our modern times, and used every value we hold as important now to shape our world. With those idiots, we made some revolutions, and built democracies all over Europe. America earned his independence, freedom and democracy. Later, they abolished slavery. Also, those useless people made the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the US Constitution.

But yeah, except for that, they were mostly useless.

Anyway, back to the topic. Press use to bash SWTOR, mostly because it's what everyone want them to do. But sometimes, they are right.

It seems to happen more and more.

I want to reply to this thread, and I suppose the article it is about- keep in mind I have been playing from middle october- not from launch like some. So I have not seen some of the evolution of the game from it's initial state, though I have inferred a bit from reading the patch note history and anecdotal things from these forums. That said-

The developers of this game must pull their hair out reading things like this article, and even the forums in general. As i have lurked here reading player complaints and requests for help etc., I have noticed one overwhelming truth: there is no way the developers could alter this game to make everyone happy. In fact, I would say based on a few months of reading that they have done a fairly good job trying to thread the needle down the middle of what feedback has been left here.

For example, the first time I came to this forum, there were two threads, about a half dozen apart on the same page regarding exploration and world size/content. Thread one was griping about speeders, mostly cost, availability, and the biggest chunk was about how slow they moved. it went off on a tangent about world design, how some didnt have nice groupings for quest givers to limit the amount of time out of combat. The other thread 1/4 page down was about how small the game world was, how it took no time to explore, how you were constantly in combat etc.

So I shook my head a little as I read those, wondering what the developers must think seeing that. how does one please the crowd when said crowd wants completely opposite things? IMO, they did a reasonable job balancing world giganticness with fight/story progress.

It really stems from a base player conflict: huge WoW style grinding MMO play vs KOTOR old school single player story games. A big chunk of the player base wants WoW with lightsabres, because thats what they like. Another big part wants KOTOR III, with a few vocal ones actually mad about the fact they even bothered to make this game online. The dev team has the daunting task of trying to make both at the same time. SOme players want traditional almost turn based MMO control, some want FPS shooter style twitch with lightsabres. The devs are supposed to make it both. Some players want stupid huge immensly detailed sparsely populated world to explore for hours. Some players want a diablo or DDO style where you only interupt fighting briefly to empty your backpack in town and get the next quest from the same 5 contacts. Some players want full fledged, no where is safe PVP, some wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. Some players love gear, some players wish there wasnt any at all. The devs are supposed to do it all, AND tackle all the conflicting things and technical hurdles that go with these conflicts.

On top of that stuff, the dev team has that one other thing to deal with, the bane of all dev teams everywhere: marketing dept and corporate over-ride. If marketing says, "this is how much money we need to charge for this catagory of stuff" well, guess what. If corporate big cheese calls down to the lead designer and says "hey, WoW has like ten million players, and I want to buy a new yacht, so you know, WoW with lightsabres" well, guess what. Even the most brilliant development team ever has to bend over backwards for the corporate money investors, no matter what game or genre etc it is. And corporate people, well, you know, WoW does have 10 million players....

So anyway, in general I cant say I disagree with the article, but I will say this: the author can have whatever opinion they want, and voice it, and in the end, they are simply in one of the camps of players they are part of this community. I do not hold that opinion against them. I also do not share it, because I am not in the same camp.

Here is what i like- I like the story. I am likely more in the KOTOR camp then in the MMO camp, but, i do enjoy me some teaming for the unpredictability of it and social chats. End game? bah. raiding is for chumps, playing the same story over and over one billion times to get the ub3rst l33t gearz is not for me. but, i will play a story over several times if I enjoy it, which thankfully in this game I pretty much do. not like 50 times, but a half dozen is no issue, especially given I can be serious buisness, or srs bizn3ss because of the multiple reply options. Add some "voting" while playing with my brother and the conversations can be rather amusing. PvP? eh, i wont do it until I have done all the story stuff to satisfaction, and then i will likely partake in rookie fashion and not care if I get pwned or not.

As for the subs vs FTP, well, the system does EXACTLY what I thought it would, it allos people to taste the game, and if they like it, even a bit, it encourages them to sub up. And really, it should be that way. If you enjoy the game, you should pay something for it. 50 cents a day is hardly jaw dropping angry fist shaking amounts of money considering you can play 24-7 on an account(minus patch time) for, again, 50 cents a day. The prices on the cartel market are marketing dept issues, not dev team ones. And thing is there, rage all we want about prices there, if they sell enough to call it a success, then they priced it right. Thats what happens when it comes time to sell a product, digital or not, for real money. Look at new cars for a RL example. i couldnt buy a new car if I wanted to for the cost. but somebody is obviously, because the price is what it is. So rage against it all i want, the price point fits the company's financial goals.

Anyway, this got really long. Bottom line, the article, and people responding here, well, thats your opinion and you should stand by it. I disagree, and feel the dev team has done well with the balancing act of expectations. If anyone has failed at this game, it is marketing and corporate money grubbers.

QFT. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

Well, if you haven't been playing since launch you missed A TON of badly handled situations.

Have you seen all the false statements and broken promises they made ? Probably not.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why developers don't come to game forums to design games. They need to pick a strategy and execute it with limited and select feedback from the fan base. If developers listened to the forums:

We'd have a...

Turns based, open world, themepark, real time, social simulator with player cities and non player cities. There would be open worlds and closed worlds, Player economy with a false economy, green houses, crafting, pazzak, poker, dice, roulette and farming.

I would really like to read a true story about the launch of this game, it still amazes me that it could fail so hard with so much money and such a bulletproof ip. And just continue to fail over and over with every new bad idea.

It didn't fail. It was marketed as a story driven MMO for casual gamers, and that's exactly what it was and still is. What failed was people expected it to come out with as many raids as WoW has, all expansions combined.

It didn't fail. It was marketed as a story driven MMO for casual gamers, and that's exactly what it was and still is. What failed was people expected it to come out with as many raids as WoW has, all expansions combined.

^^^^^ THIS

MMO players need to stop getting these unrealistic expectations of the game before it comes out. We saw it with WAR, AoC, SWTOR, GW2, and now we see it starting with Elder Scrolls Online.

The reason I enjoy this game so much is because I didn't follow any part of it. I wasn't even interested in the game until my friend gave me a beta key. I had 0 expectations when I first played it.

Well, if you haven't been playing since launch you missed A TON of badly handled situations.

Have you seen all the false statements and broken promises they made ? Probably not.

Indeed. However, I have been around gaming from the time it was invented. i will say this: I have not seen a MMO yet come out at launch and remain the same throughout its life except for the ones that totally failed outright. Those simply showed up, and died a short while later for various reasons, usually money related.

Of the ones that stick around, pretty well all of them have made a catastrophic blunder(in the eyes of players) at some point in their evolution. many times it is due to feedback from players. Sometimes the dev team changes, a lot, after launch and the new blood thinks it can do better before said new blood has learned the product fully. MOst of the time, the biggest blunders are caused by someone in charge deciding a good ways into the life of the game that the game just isn't what they had imagined it would be. At that point some dramatic alterations are made, and the players get a really really sour taste from it. That taste lingers a long time, and if the game doesnt morph into something really good, it will fail.

IMO, this game is on it's way to something good. I do not know all the situations of the past, but i can see the sour taste left behind. Whatever happened here, I highly doubt it reaches the scale of things from other games. two come to mind- Star Wars galaxies, and City of Heroes.

SWG i do not think I need to go into here, and actually I may regret opening that can of worms on this thread do to epic derail probability. Suffice to say, in that instance, the dramatic changes made to change the "vision" of the game did not morph into something really good.

The other, CoH, I was involved in from almost launch. About 10 months after launch, the lead dev decided the game had not turned out how he wanted. Players were stomping hordes of foes with their super powers, some of the powersets were basically broken (in both directions depending on the set) and players were not playing/building characters as he thought they would. So he changed it. it was not anything totally massive mechanically in the game design, but it 100% fundamentally changed how players could build characters and what could be done with them.

that game was on the brink of destruction, and really struggled for over a year, only hanging on with the introduction of essentially a second half of the game with City of Villains. Eventually the lead dev left and someone else took over and used the changes to fit into a new crafting system. At that point, the game morphed into something better then it was before. Recently shut down, it was recording a decent profit.

Those are two examples of the extremes of dramatic "poor handled" changes and situations. MMO's, they sure can be a tricky thing. Any time a dev team decides to mess with an existing system, there is backlash. the bigger the scope of the change, the bigger the backlash, and only time can tell if it is a make, or a break. IMO, this new expansion next year, and the other mysterious things in store for us soon before and after will determine if this is just the beginning of the games life, or it's peak and slow decent.

If developers listened to the forums:

We'd have a...

Turns based, open world, themepark, real time, social simulator with player cities and non player cities. There would be open worlds and closed worlds, Player economy with a false economy, green houses, crafting, pazzak, poker, dice, roulette and farming.

True story.

You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly why developers don't come to game forums to design games. They need to pick a strategy and execute it with limited and select feedback from the fan base. If developers listened to the forums:

We'd have a...

That game sounds epic!!! :rak_03:

^^^^^ THIS

MMO players need to stop getting these unrealistic expectations of the game before it comes out. We saw it with WAR, AoC, SWTOR, GW2, and now we see it starting with Elder Scrolls Online.

The reason I enjoy this game so much is because I didn't follow any part of it. I wasn't even interested in the game until my friend gave me a beta key. I had 0 expectations when I first played it.

^^^^^^^^ This indeed.

I also expected nothing really except basicly.. 8 different stories in a Star Wars universe that I could play together with my girlfriend. And that is what I got.

Edited by Devlonir