Powertech: Tanking and You

Escaflownae

yea ion jolts seem to be messed up. still took the point because i didnt know what else to put it in.

For HM, i tank with improved riot strike, as the 6 second riot strike means you can interrupt a spell from ever being casted by a boss, as it will lock out for 4 seconds, and your riot strike will just come off cooldown while they try and cast the spell again, for me that mitigates alot more damage than some extra shield %.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorrdoroGZMsrbo.1

tried without gut, but i felt the extra damage move filled the gap sometimes. (and its nice to have another ability :p )

also i disagree with using sticky grenade, the damage is too low to be worth 2 ammo. id rather use the extra ammo and whack out a pulse cannon vs groups, as its the most damage-ammo move we have, not to mention we can recharge ammo whilst its channeling.

another thing, i dont agree gut is better than energy blast. how can it ever be? energy blast GIVES an energy cell, meaning you can dish out more damage. Gut costs 2 energy meaning you get less chance to use abilities.. not to mention gut can only be used every 15 seconds to be effective. Even though gut offers more damage than energy blast, is that extra damage worth 3 ammo potential by using energy blast instead?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's not a good guide. It's outdated and hasn't been kept up.

Good point

OP does say "last update 20-Feb-2012"

Would be nice if a good vanguard tank grabbed the relay stick and re-started an up-to-date Vanguard tanking guide.

I just rolled one and am progressing, I'd be looking forward to a new guide

• 7 months later...

Let this thread die. There is so much bad information here, some of it is just flat out wrong. Even at the time of its original posting.

If you are a newbie Vanguard tank do not live and die by this guide at all.

• 2 months later...

Not convinced by the skill tree. I'd dump the following personally:

• Defensive Measures - this is really a PvP ability; don't think it has any benefit in PvE
  • Neural overload - you hardly ever do Ion Cell damage
  • Scrap Satchel - again more useful in PvP rather than PvE. ES is a relatively expensive talent, so only really worth using the 2 free charges you get from Storm.

Should definitely have 3 points in Focused Impact as High Impact Bolt should be a key part of the rotation, especially as given Supercharged Ion Cell it does damage to several targets against mobs.

I'd also personally put the other two points into Heavy Stock as again Stockstrike should be a key part of the rotation so doing added damage will increase DPS and maintain threat.

Not convinced by the skill tree. I'd dump the following personally:

• Defensive Measures - this is really a PvP ability; don't think it has any benefit in PvE
  • Neural overload - you hardly ever do Ion Cell damage
  • Scrap Satchel - again more useful in PvP rather than PvE. ES is a relatively expensive talent, so only really worth using the 2 free charges you get from Storm.

Should definitely have 3 points in Focused Impact as High Impact Bolt should be a key part of the rotation, especially as given Supercharged Ion Cell it does damage to several targets against mobs.

I'd also personally put the other two points into Heavy Stock as again Stockstrike should be a key part of the rotation so doing added damage will increase DPS and maintain threat.

Good constructive criticism I love it thanks. I'll try that out tonight and see how it plays.

I tried the spec last night and I realized that I linked the wrong torhead skill build in the guide. Typically I use a build similar to that. At this point I've been experimenting going deeper into the tactics tree to get tactical tools and augmented cells to try other things. I've also been working on pvp hybrid specs that are decent enough for tanking flashpoints but still powerful in pvp.

If anyone sees anything that is not correct or think they want to add something please let me know. Lets use this guide to help build a better community of tanks.

Be constructive and try to not flame others if they make suggestions.

Remember don't feed the trolls.

• 3 weeks later...

Vanguard Rotations

Single Target Rotation

Storm> SS> HS> HIB> HS> IP> HS> SS> HS> SG> HS> EB> HS> Repeat

Powertech Rotations

Single Target Rotation

Jet Charge> SS> HS> HIB> HS> IP> HS> SS> HS> SG> HS> EB> HS> Repeat

Your Powertech rotation isn't translated; it's using the Vanguard terminology.

Thanks for this guide.....very helpful to better understand my role as a power-tech tank Are you guys aware of any articles that help you understand more of the ops interface while in real time mode? For example, on how to be able to monitor aggro, threat, and overall stats of the team via the GUI, besides just using your eyes. Not sure if there are icons, bars, or even colors that help identify what is happening. Some battles can get messy.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this guide.....very helpful to better understand my role as a power-tech tank Are you guys aware of any articles that help you understand more of the ops interface while in real time mode? For example, on how to be able to monitor aggro, threat, and overall stats of the team via the GUI, besides just using your eyes. Not sure if there are icons, bars, or even colors that help identify what is happening. Some battles can get messy.

I just added a section about Threat to the guide. I'm not sure it's what your looking for but I do think it will help you understand how it works more.

I wouldn't suggest those specs...both look very bad.

Actually , I agree with you the talent builds I made arn't there. I'll upload them again I guess something changed because those builds have 8 points left over and arn't even filled out correctly. Thank for bringing that to my attention.

• 8 months later...
One huge point that was glossed over is the fact that Energy Blast is one of your best defensive abilities. Threat generation doesn`t even factor into taking it or not, just the fact that you get a 25% increase to your shield absorb makes this a must for tanking in PVE. It should be on your bar and on cooldown constantly