Antiquated Naming System

DurdensWrath

I think some of the rage today stems from the fact that many names will be taken. Why are we still doing this?

One of the only good things Cryptic did was allowing your unique name to be your accountname, but to everyone else you could name them whatever. That way people who got the shaft today aren't having to pick at the crumb names, or worse misspelled names.

I think some of the rage today stems from the fact that many names will be taken. Why are we still doing this?

One of the only good things Cryptic did was allowing your unique name to be your accountname, but to everyone else you could name them whatever. That way people who got the shaft today aren't having to pick at the crumb names, or worse misspelled names.

I don't want any other xXxDarthVaderxXx's running around. That's my unique name and I don't want to be confused with some scrub.

You're american, right?

BEST post of the day!

Also how would the game know which "Killercyborg" to mail my message to when I put that in the in game mail? Do they send a copy to everyone with that name? How about if there's cash they split it to each of em.

/failidea

Edited by DarthKhaos

BEST post of the day!

Also how would the game know which "Killercyborg" to mail my message to when I put that in the in game mail? Do they send a copy to everyone with that name? How about if there's cash they split it to each of em.

/failidea

There would just have to be a system of uniqueness.

Currently it's <name> as the unique property.

With the cryptic system mentioned earlier it's <name@account> as the unique part.

All characters on your account have the @account as part of the name in the system, but they only show the name part in-game unless you have the options set to show @account names in chat.

This allows people to have the same character name while still having a unique name in the account system. You can't have multiple characters with the same name on your own account though.

There would just have to be a system of uniqueness.

Currently it's <name> as the unique property.

With the cryptic system mentioned earlier it's <name@account> as the unique part.

All characters on your account have the @account as part of the name in the system, but they only show the name part in-game unless you have the options set to show @account names in chat.

This allows people to have the same character name while still having a unique name in the account system. You can't have multiple characters with the same name on your own account though.

Then how would I be able to mail you in game without knowing your account name. Quite frankly I do NOT want anyone to know my account name. I'm sorry but that's just asking for your account to be compromised.

Make original names.

It's not hard.

I'm sure whatever name you pick is ********, and you think it's awesome. Otherwise you wouldn't think it's easy.

As for how to identify people, let them pick a global handle, not account name, and use that to mail them things, etc. Using a name without spaces and limited special characters as the main unique identifier is VERY antiquated and unnecessary in today's mmo technology.

I'm sure whatever name you pick is ********, and you think it's awesome. Otherwise you wouldn't think it's easy.

As for how to identify people, let them pick a global handle, not account name, and use that to mail them things, etc. Using a name without spaces and limited special characters as the main unique identifier is VERY antiquated and unnecessary in today's mmo technology.

Yet I can make a new character a year after the game is out and still find me a unique name.

Find something useful to complain about. Right now you're nitpicking.

Edited by DarthKhaos

BEST post of the day!

/failidea

Because it is <username>@<accountname> it works just fine in other games. Just because it is different than WoW doesn't make it fail.

Agreed.

Yet I can make a new character a year after the game is out and still find me a unique name.

Find something useful to complain about. Right now you're nitpicking.

This from a guy with Darth in his name? That's rich.

BEST post of the day!
I still fail to see why me being American is gerund.

Then how would I be able to mail you in game without knowing your account name. Quite frankly I do NOT want anyone to know my account name. I'm sorry but that's just asking for your account to be compromised.
You mean like I know right now your account name is DarthKhaos? Edited by DurdensWrath

DarthKhaos is NOT my account name it is my forum name. You do remember that you do not use DurdensWrath to log into the account even before they changed it from an account name to your e-mail address.

True. But there you are. A simple way to have non-unique names. But since I found out I can use both ' and - then I am happy.

I totally agree! naming systems like this shouldn't be used anymore it just makes for lots of stupid names with XXXXXxxxxXXXX and numbers it's annoying pointless and immersion breaking

I totally agree! naming systems like this shouldn't be used anymore it just makes for lots of stupid names with XXXXXxxxxXXXX and numbers it's annoying pointless and immersion breaking

I never have gotten the xXx xXx thing. It always annoys me when I see that on a gamer tag.

My opinion is, if Xbox live can have spaces in the name, I can have spaces here.

This kind of naming convention is retro now.

Actually it's not your @account name, it was originally but they have since changed it to your @forumname and allowed people to have a seperate forum name in their account which doesnt get used in logins to quell those exact fears.

Edited by Cormey

Actually it's not your @account name, it was originally but they have since changed it to your @forumname and allowed people to have a seperate forum name in their account which doesnt get used in logins to quell those exact fears.

Another bonus is, that you use the @forumname, and it will message whatever toon is logged in. You don't have to know every alt that a person has.