Please consider deleting ALTs you are not going to use

Lundorff

In the spirit of cooperation and similar warm and fussy feelings, I will implore everyone to clean house prior to the coming mergers. You should obviously not delete toons you intend to use, but if you already know that you will not be playing that toon on that server, well, be a good sport and go delete them. So far I have deleted 30 or so toons, and I will probably be deleting an additional 100 or so toons in the next couple of days (yes I have been maxed out globally for a long time). Edited by Lundorff

I made a bunch of characters instead -- sorry but since they are tossing all my chars on the one server now and I only had a few spare slots -- I wanted to be sure to always have spares.

Doubt my names will clash with anyone as Ive been including a first and last name for all. My surnames are pretty obscure and its easy enough to turn off the legacy name (so they don't have 2).

I paid for all those extra char slots, I certainly intend to make the most of them.

I made a bunch of characters instead -- sorry but since they are tossing all my chars on the one server now and I only had a few spare slots -- I wanted to be sure to always have spares.

Doubt my names will clash with anyone as Ive been including a first and last name for all. My surnames are pretty obscure and its easy enough to turn off the legacy name (so they don't have 2).

I paid for all those extra char slots, I certainly intend to make the most of them.

Tell me about it - I deleted experimental characters I made years ago across various servers and am now in the process of filling up some 24 slots across each of the east coast servers.

Tell me about it - I deleted experimental characters I made years ago across various servers and am now in the process of filling up some 24 slots across each of the east coast servers.

I didn't want the hassle after the merge of having to delete a bunch of toons if after the merge I want to create a new toon, so I deleted 4 toons on Ebon Hawk in anticipation of 4 toons I want going there. I haven't transferred them because they are keeping four of my side guilds open.

You do realize that if you are over the cap of toons, yes you get to keep them, but IF you delete one of those toons, you will NOT be able to recreate a toon in that spot. Doesn't matter how many slots you've bought.

Just make them what you want. ^Read above note.

Same. I'm filling all my slots up with toons I will be playing. I just don't like the idea of losing out on so many slots over the three main servers I play, this way I'll have a fair few to keep me going for a while. I also try to create two names on most if not I use what I think are pretty obscure names.

You do realize that if you are over the cap of toons, yes you get to keep them, but IF you delete one of those toons, you will NOT be able to recreate a toon in that spot. Doesn't matter how many slots you've bought.

I have 81 slots over 3 servers, If I don't fill them I lose 54 of them and possibly have to delete several before I can create more. This way I don't lose any and they should last, yes it only works one time around but that shouldn't happen for a long time, depending on how often they are played and how long it takes to be done with them.

Just make them what you want. ^Read above note.

The intention was never to delete them.

Made some pretty awesome looking chars Im looking forward to playing and I love all the story.

I have 81 slots over 3 servers, If I don't fill them I lose 54 of them and possibly have to delete several before I can create more. This way I don't lose any and they should last, yes it only works one time around but that shouldn't happen for a long time, depending on how often they are played and how long it takes to be done with them.

This.

By merging my chars on servers together they were going to make me hit my cap. By making chars in advance it'll keep me busy for a long time.

Please consider deleting ALTs you are not going to use

Short answer - no.

Long answer - **** no!

There's only one of my 19 characters that I would consider voluntarily deleting. (One of the two characters I made for the DvL event last year.)

Edited by JediQuaker

I see a few comments here about the impact that the server merge will have on available character slots.

If this helps any, the developers are looking into increasing the number of character slots available per server with the merge. From the thread "SWTOR Autumn Roadmap 2017" :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=933608&page=8

So say my limit at the moment is 27, and I end up with over 52 characters on one server and I want to make a new one, I have to delete at least 26 toons?? This does not make me happy.

Totally hear you on this, and it is a fair concern. We are looking at two numbers to potentially increase. First, maximum chars allowed per server (currently 52) and the amount of "default" char slots a sub has (currently 12). Hoping to have some locked down details to share in the next couple of weeks, with the ultimate goal of largely alleviating the issue you presented above.

-eric

When I first saw this, my immediate reaction was, "Okay, they're going to increase - or TRY to increase, anyway - the character slots per server, but how much? Increasing the slots by, say, two or three per server isn't really going to help much under these circumstances. In order for it really make a difference here, they'd have to increase the number of slots by a substantial amount."

Eric Musco said they would try to "largely alleviate" the issue. What exactly that means, though, is anybody's guess at this point.

In the spirit of cooperation and similar warm and fussy feelings, I will implore everyone to clean house prior to the coming mergers. You should obviously not delete toons you intend to use, but if you already know that you will not be playing that toon on that server, well, be a good sport and go delete them. So far I have deleted 30 or so toons, and I will probably be deleting an additional 100 or so toons in the next couple of days (yes I have been maxed out globally for a long time).

I'm not so sure many people fancy deleting characters they invested likely days/weeks in leveling (unless bot did it for them).

I'm sure some of my character's names will clash with others. Guess I'll have to get creative coming up with new ones. :rolleyes:

Do you know what, that isn't a bad idea.

While I understand the intent to both free up names / make the transfer process quicker, the part where we can exceed the cap makes this an interesting proposition.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in some cases, the announced server merge has actually motivated players to NOT delete alts that they had been planning to delete.

The reasoning basically goes like this :

"I was going to delete these useless alts ... but now, I think I'll keep them instead, at least until after the merge.

If these alts wind up losing their names in the merge, then it doesn't matter what I do with them.

But if these alts wind up keeping their names in the merge ... I can delete the alts after the merge, and give their names to whichever of my mains have lost their names."